When did you start feeling middle-aged?
and what did this mean for you?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 Marchioness Flea

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

Lucky 2, I'm surprised you're nearly 50! I assumed you were only mid 30's.

I'm 38 this year and I am starting to feel old and decrepit. Things creak which never used to and my back is sore a lot since having my baby who will ONLY be carried on my left hip and is nearly 2, so not tiny.
Knees crack and getting down on the floor with a toddler isn't as easy as it used to be.
I SHOULD have had a baby in my mid 20's but hindsight is a wonderful thing, huh? lol.

#27 The Old Feral

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

I'm 40 and feel a bit like Tamm.  It's not so much the age, but the stage of life that makes me feel old and boring sometimes.  I have everything I ever dreamed of and am not complaining..... but the responsibility and the lack of freedom that come with child rearing and a big mortgage can feel smothering, and I have 10-15 years more of it.  

Some days that I really feel the middle aged aches and pains, and hope to God I'm still in good enough shape to enjoy life once the kids have grown up.  

#28 mumofsky

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

Im turning 30 this year and I feel very old and definitely middle-aged. My body is totally different to how it used to be. its incredibly depressing.

#29 Twinmum+2

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (Jemstar @ 25/02/2012, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm turning 40 this year, I don't feel remotely middle aged. Maybe it will switch on when I hit my birthday? Sometimes I feel like I am now a 'grown up', or a woman rather than a girl, but not middle aged - does that make any sense at all?

Me too... I am about to turn 41 and I don't feel old as such, but I'm beginning to realise that I must be getting older as I care less and less about what other people think.  It's kind of liberating.  On the other hand though, I am a bit sad that I'm not in my 30's any more, I think that was the best decade.  Old enough to be confident and wiser, but young enough to enjoy yourself still.

The medical issues are beginning too... I have a bunion for heaven's sake cry1.gif  My grandma had those.  Now THAT is scary.

I also have small children again, thanks to a second marriage, and I can relate to the PP's who talk about responsibility and workload being suffocating.  I have been a mother since I was 21, so it's been my entire adult life, and will be most of the rest of it.  I know of course 'mothering' never really ends though, and it was my own choice so I shouldn't complain.  Some days though I want to just walk off and leave it all behind.  That really WOULD be a midlife crisis, I guess!

#30 LambChop

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

When I started having peri-menopausal symptoms a couple of years ago (when I was 41).

Impact:  Made me feel quite mortal and that time was running out, made me go 'wtf am I doing' and make some radical changes in my life to get to a better place for me mentally (and therefore physically, drinking dropped dramatically, comfort eating nearly gone).

Edited by LambChop, 19 March 2012 - 08:13 AM.

#31 Monket

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

I skipped middle age and now I feel old.  I think it is just that I had children late in life, 41 and 42 and now that DS has started school, I am surrounded by mums that are so much younger than me.  That makes me feel old.  I think I experienced what Tammlam is going through when I turned 30.  The one thing I have found is that when I begin to feel like I am "treading water" something happens to turn my world upside down and force remarkable change....so hang in there Tamm, something fabulous is just around the corner!

Edited by Monket, 19 March 2012 - 08:17 AM.

#32 CafeCat

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (TammIam @ 28/02/2012, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not finding myself more "comfortable" in myself, more confident or more accepting of anything about myself. In fact, I'd say, in the last 10 yrs, I've gone backwards. My happiest with myself and my life years were probably my late 20's to mid - 30's. I was confident in myself and happy to take chances and have a go at things and change direction etc. I still had the motivation and drive to study and do exciting things and had goals and aspirations....

These days? I just feel like I'm treading water. I can't be bothered planning too much ahead and I just dont' have the motivation to further my career as I'd have to juggle my life WAY too much and I woudln't say I'm lacking in practical "energy" as such, but I am certainly lacking in mental energy. Everytime I think "oh - I could do that!" I then realise that it would just be one more darn thing I'd have to try to fit into my life and where would it lead me anyway? I can't race off and do too much, I have my kids and loads of family responsibilities that can't just be shoved aside at a whim.

On the other hand? I am SO thrilled to have my family and children. I couldn't imagine my life without my kids and sometimes, my heart aches with how much I love them.

I'm not finding any great things about my body starting to fall apart with the aging process frankly. It p*sses me off that I had to get glasses to read comfortably a year ago. I hate the aches and pains that I now get becuase of my childhood injuries are catching up with me (not badly, but I just can't move around like I used to be able to take for granted)

Middle aged sucks...sorry - but it does  tongue.gif

Tamm

PS: I'm not really a cranky old thing...truly...I guess I am just a bit frustrated at how quickly the past 20 + yrs have gone and I so wish I'd started having kids a bit earlier....mind you, we DID try..We started ttc when I was 34 but didn't have a child till I was 38...long story!

Word-for-word I feel the same!!!

I feel old and middle aged - I watch the 20 somethings at work who are out there and sprinting ahead. I think ,well, that was me until I had kids. I feel I ducked out of life for ten years to child reproduce/rear/raise my kids. That little kid phase dominated my life while the rest of the world along with Father Time marched on. When I 'resurfaced' I was suddenly 38, but still mentally logged in at 28,  and I clung viciously to the fact I WAS NOT 40. I would tell myself I wasn't old and that having a young child was testimony to that - who was I kidding? My 40th birthday was a write-off; I was that sick with the flu (timing eh?). I am 42 now and still not comfortable with my age. I am consciously aware of time marching on so I put all my effort into my kids. I don't want to look back at 50 and think 'how did I miss that?" My career aspirations have all but resigned and I now soldier on in a lesser position- it's a job for money and not a career for fulfillment.

It is a double-edged sword for me and clearly a mid-life crisis!

Edited by mum2five, 19 March 2012 - 08:21 AM.

#33 lilmurfs

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

I don't know if I feel middle-aged, but I definitely feel old - and I'm 22 lol...

Started feeling like this when I fell pregnant with my 3rd and I was watching all the other 20 somethings have an actual life lol...

#34 bagelbagel81

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

Funny- I felt like that at 26- and have been feeling that for the past four years (am 30 now).

I am looking forward to being middle-aged as it possibly means having kids and a family to focus on... I hate being in the middle of this transition of recovering from having fun in the 20's and starting to take real life responsibilities...

Happy about what I have done, but looking forward to the next stage... it's gonna go fast so best make the most of it!

EDIT to say I see young 20-somethings in various positions appearing as though they are streaking ahead... but I am much more happier in my Senior role and in the CBD without the stress of managing staff... in terms of Career this is exactly where I want to be!

Edited by bagelbagel81, 19 March 2012 - 09:42 AM.

#35 justasking

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

I felt middle-aged in my late 30's - my attitudes changed slightly - though I have felt a sense of urgency about getting things done  in life since my early 30's.  

Being with a younger partner for ten years, only served to magnify the rate at which I was growing/changing as a person (he, sadly, remained stunted).

I left him a couple of weeks after my 40th birthday.

Now, I feel filled with vitality, and am surprised at my self-assuredness.  I look like sh*t, but I'm looking forward to my future.

#36 Kristina13

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

I'm a fit and healthy 45 year old so inside I feel young at heart.
It's only when things happen (like when a car salesman 2 year ago  when I queried him about the child harness hook for my new car asked if that was for a grandchild!!! or when the youthful 28 year old mayor where I work remembered me reading him stories as a child) that I start to feel rather old!!!

As many have said before it is all a state of mind and I feel youthful and vibran and certainly not "middle-aged"  original.gif

#37 OopsyBaby

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

I hate that I'm so much older than most of the other prep mums. When did that happen? When my older children started school, I was a youngish mum, but if you keep having children, you soon become the old Mum, and everyone at school pick up looks so damn young!! Now I'm pregnant at 44, I dread to think how I'll feel at school pick up with this little one.

I hate that my age is creeping up, but I dont feel particularly old. My body doesn't feel different, but I'm more concerned with long term health than I used to be, and I agree that you realize some ideas are just not worth the effort it would take to have a go. That's probably more about juggling the demands of ayoung family, though.  I sometimes look at my friends without children, or those who had their children very young, and think how different my life would be if I had  their freedom. Of course, I'd never give up the life I have. I just hope that when my children are independent, I will have the opportunities for travel/study etc. It's easy to feel as though my life is 'on hold' while the children are young.

#38 geckosrule

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

Not my group but I saw it in the "discussing" bar...

I'm 43 and I still feel young not middle aged at all.

I think it's a state of mind personally.

#39 Copper and May

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

When the shop assistants called you "Madam" and when the policemen are younger than some of the pantihose I have. rolleyes.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a copy of 'Breakfast, School Run, Chemo'

To celebrate the launch of EB member and contributor Julia's Watson's first book, we have five copies of Breakfast, School Run, Chemo give away.

Electronic tags may keep newborns safe

The possibility of using electronic bracelets for mothers and their newborn babies is being investigated by Adelaide's Women's and Children's Hospital. 

Baby steps: when your little one starts walking

As a parent there are so many milestones to look forward to. That first smile, first word - and, of course, that first step.

Julia Watson's new book 'Breakfast, School Run, Chemo'

Tomorrow my friend Julia launches her first book. And while we're all overjoyed, the success is tinged with sadness. You see, Julia has stage 4 bowel cancer.

How not to name twins

Call me boring, but I don't think that when it comes to choosing my twins' names is the right time to use a good pun.

Fun Sunny Life pool inflatables just for babies

The babies of 2015 will thus be thrilled to paddle their happy baby legs in these brand new flamingo and swan baby inflatables.

Breastfeeding basics for beginners

Here are 10 tips to help make breastfeeding successful and stress free for both you and your baby as quickly as possible.

Girl smothers baby brother with peanut butter

This mum had a big clean up job on her hands.

How to hide those under eye shadows

Pandas are the only ones who benefit from under-eye shadows. If you're not fluffy and cute, you'll just look tired.

Young mum dies after being denied pap smear

A mother has died after she was denied a pap smear because she was deemed "too young" to need it.

Birthday cakes banned at childcare centre

A childcare centre in Sydney has banned birthday cakes after parent complaints about excessive sugar and children with allergies being left out.

Triplet surprise for newlyweds

As the radiographer moved the wand over her abdomen, Shelley King got the surprise of her life.

3 yummy Thermomix baby and toddler recipes

Louise Fulton Keats shares her recipes for babies and toddlers, including corn and sweet pikelets, pumpkin and pea risotto, and cheesy bunny biscuits.

Man arrested over toddler Nikki's death

A 31-year-old man has been arrested over the death of two-year-old Nikki Francis-Coslovich in Mildura.

Adoption ban on pregnant women to be lifted

Pregnant women will no longer be barred from adoption waiting lists in NSW, after the Baird Government decided the practice was discriminatory.

Are you getting enough magnesium?

Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body, but we don't talk enough about it and the vital role it plays in great health and energy, as well as disease prevention.

5 workplace lessons for new parents

Take heart in these principles that will transfer seamlessly from the workplace into your new life as a parent.

Mums to follow on Instagram

A creative outlet for many, there are some savvy women complementing their blogs and businesses with riveting Instagrams feeds. We've chosen a few which have bucketloads of appeal; there are some big time players and some smaller local ones, and they each bring their special brand of magic to the Instagram experience.

Review: The Volvo 2015 XC90 SUV has all the safety features your family needs

The new Volvo XC90 SUV's focus on keeping you safe does not come at the expense of comfort in the XC90.

Kim Kardashian reveals she may have hysterectomy

Kim Kardashian has revealed complications during pregnancy means she might have to have a hysterectomy after the birth of her second child.

Why late night snacks wreak havoc on weight loss

Loath as you may be to admit it, chances are that at some point you have found yourself in the kitchen late at night, devouring food.

Toddler twins pretend to be asleep to fool mum

They say twins have a unique connection. If this cute clip is anything to go by, these toddler sisters like to use their special bond to try to fool their mother.

Dad bags: 10 picks for out and about

Getting out of the house is a big priority in the early years of parenthood and you need to take a well-stocked kit with you. We've chosen 10 of the best nappy bags sure to appeal to dads in style and function.

Win a Mountain Buggy Swift

To celebrate Essential Baby reaching half a million Facebook fans, we have a Mountain Buggy Swift to giveaway to a lucky fan.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Dads who do their share have more sex: study

For women trying to encourage their partners to take more interest in fatherhood, it could be the ultimate incentive.

Think you might have IBS, coeliac disease or Crohn's?

Conditions affecting the gastrointestinal tract are common in modern humans, and many are on the rise - including irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and coeliac disease.

Couple poses for newborn shoot with adorable puppy

Tired of being asked about their baby-making plans, Australian couple Matt and Abby decided to give a creative answer.

The exercises you know you should be doing (but probably aren't)

I bet your to-do list today is long. But somewhere on that massive list, are you making time for your pelvic floor?

This baby really loves the family cat

Some babies get excited when mum or dad come to get them from their cot after a nap.

Designer kids clothing good enough to eat by Oeuf

Even if you aren't heading to the Northern hemisphere in the next six months, you can't help but love the amazing food-themed knits for babies and kids by cult kids brand Oeuf.

Early exposure to peanuts recommended for allergy prevention

A paediatricians' group is recommending that infants at high risk of peanut allergies be given foods containing peanuts before they turn one.

Home brand foods contain less salt than pricier rivals

Supermarket home brand foods, long derided as cheap and inferior, contain far lower levels of salt than pricier, branded rivals, new research shows.

Nannies for hire, wherever you're flying

Ever dreaded the prospect of a long flight, dreaming about how wonderful it would be for a nanny to entertain the kids?

Couple poses for newborn shoot with adorable puppy

Tired of being asked about their baby-making plans, Australian couple Matt and Abby decided to give a creative answer: with an unusual photo shoot with their 'baby', a groodle (poodle/golden retriever cross) named Humphrey. The talented Elisha from Elisha Minnette Photography caught all the precious shots.

Is it okay to name your baby with a sense of humour?

My husband was sure that Danger was a good option for a boy. And as the pregnancy progressed, it actually started to sound really good.

Woman gives birth after having her own mother's uterus transplanted

In a world first, a healthy baby has been born from the same womb that nurtured his own mother.

So hot right now: double-barrelled baby names on the rise

It's one way to make your baby stand out from the pack – giving them not one, but two first names.

Second time around: is it really better the devil you know?

When I fell pregnant with my second child I was, naturally, very excited. Then it all started to come back to me - and I freaked.

Shopping with kids: breaking the pester-power cycle

You're out shopping with your little one and they're incessantly whining that they want a treat. It's easy to say no ... the first time, at least.

How did we have babies before apps came along?

Three months ago, my wife, Chrysta, and I were driving along Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles when she let out a harrowing cry.

When your toddler disagrees

There comes a time when your child starts having different views to you. I didn't realise that time would come so soon.

Win a Pacapod this Father's Day

To celebrate dads and families, we are giving away a Picos Pack from Pacapod Australia filled with a few extra goodies ENTER NOW

FREE TICKET

Discover the magic of the LEGOŽ DUPLOŽ Play Area in Sydney

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.