I don't trust her to walk my child to school.
Confront or avoid?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 roses7

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

My niece and my DD have started FYOS together. SIL walks past my house on her way to and from school. She has offered numerous times to pick up DD on the way there/home. I don't need the help usually, as I work from home, so I politely make excuses.

But the reality is I don't trust her. She doesn't supervise her children properly around roads/cars. Twice in the last couple of weeks I have witnessed her 2 year old run onto the road because she is allowed to run ahead of SIL who was pushing the pram. She allows her 2 and 5 year olds to cross roads which have no crossing or lights, without holding her hand or the stroller - they just walk/run ahead of her. She lets them run ahead, out of her sight, on streets where cars are regularly reversing out of driveways. I find walking home with her so stressful as I am just waiting for her kids to be run over.

My DD is very sensible and stops automatically at streets and carparks to hold my hand, and checks driveways. But she is 5, and I can't guarantee that she won't get overexcited with her cousins and do something uncharacteristic. So for now DH and I have decided that we won't allow SIL to walk her to and from school.

Today my DS was sick and I asked a friend to collect DD. I've now had a text from SIL "reminding me" that she is always happy to walk DD home. I'm certain she is offended.

WWYD? Keep offending her by not accepting her offers or create one big offence by telling her you don't trust her to keep DD safe?

#2 Pupalumps

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

I think I'd tell her that walking her to and from is something you really enjoy. Eg on the way you talk about the day ahead, on the way back you find out what happened. And that working from home you like to also get fresh air and exercise. Maybe she'll see it as an important part of your day rather than a chore she's taking off your hands.

#3 katbalou

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

I would avoid rather than confront.  Just pretend being her first year of school that you are really enjoying walking her to school.  Or make a joke of it by saying "sorry, but I'm a control freak" and laugh or something.  But then I hate confrontations.

#4 Lady Garden

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

I'd tell my SIL that my DD still forgets to look up the driveways and tends to run off when she is excited or has friends around to distract her, so you feel comfortable making sure you walk her to school whenever you can. But thanks so much for the offer!

#5 RebelWithoutAClaws

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

I'd just be saying that it's important for you to make contact with the teacher regularly.

#6 Kavity

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

maybe offer to join up and walk together?

#7 BadgerBasher

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

I'd say that walking your DD to school was part of your all new get-fit plan.

Then make a get-fit plan that includes that. 2 birds, one stone.

#8 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

I would be honest (well to a point) and just say that watching your neice / nephew run off ahead makes you very uncomfortable and you would rather your DD has closer supervision around roads.

Edited by ForsakenTruth, 24 February 2012 - 05:11 PM.

#9 Kat255

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

Could she be asking because she doesn't want to do the walk and would like you to reciprocate the offer? (ie, her walk her kids to your place and you walk them the rest of the way).

If you don't trust her, then keep walking your DD, but that may explain why she keeps asking, even after you have said 'no'.

If that is the case, you may be able to defuse the situation by walking her DD to school once or twice a week (if you were happy to that is).

But ... if you offer and she says "I don't trust you to walk my DD to FYOS"... then please update us!!!

#10 tamjk

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (roses7 @ 24/02/2012, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WWYD? Keep offending her by not accepting her offers or create one big offence by telling her you don't trust her to keep DD safe?

WWID?
I'd create the one big offence by telling her I don't trust her ability to supervise your DD adequately. But then I have it on good authority that I have zero tact and am a rude pushy cow to boot!

#11 jaismum

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (Pupalumps @ 24/02/2012, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I'd tell her that walking her to and from is something you really enjoy. Eg on the way you talk about the day ahead, on the way back you find out what happened. And that working from home you like to also get fresh air and exercise. Maybe she'll see it as an important part of your day rather than a chore she's taking off your hands.

That sounds perfect

#12 Guest_Cathode_*

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (roses7 @ 24/02/2012, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OR, maybe walk to school with them? That way you get to see what she is like with them all, your SIL won't be offended at all and you get exercise to boot!

#13 ZombieMum

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (Pupalumps @ 24/02/2012, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perfect!

QUOTE (Kat255 @ 24/02/2012, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could she be asking because she doesn't want to do the walk and would like you to reciprocate the offer? (ie, her walk her kids to your place and you walk them the rest of the way).

That's quite possible as well.

Not sure what you should say if she asks you about why your friend was asked and not her when your DS was sick.

#14 Aribika

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

If you live close by and your chn are at the same school I think you need to be honest as the issue will keep surfacing.  Be as gentle as possible but say that you are concerned that your DD will get over-excited with her cousins and may run onto the road.

Lorraine

#15 IBM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

You love the walk just before you sit down to work and look forward to the pick up walk after sitting for so long.

I woildnt confront when there is an easy way to avoid it.

#16 Therese

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (Pupalumps @ 24/02/2012, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that sounds like the perfect way to approach it.  I also wouldn't be confronting her, I think it is easier to say something like Pupalumps suggested.

#17 laridae

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

Why don't you all walk together?  Besides... she may be offering because she sees your child not being picked up yet/dropped off yet.  Do you get there on time?

#18 lamarque

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

Agree with the comments about enjoying the walk home with your DD, keeping in contact with other parents etc.

Not sure what you should say when you arrange a friend to collect her though.  I can see how she would be put out.  Very awkward situation for you unfortunately.  I mean you will offend her parenting at the end of the day and no mother appreciates that..!!  

Goodluck.

#19 WaitForIt

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

I'm an avoider, so I'd just lie, but that works right up until you can't walk your DD yourself.

Is your SIL your husband's sister or your sibling's wife? If its your husband's, I'd tell him his family his problem biggrin.gif

Or you could just kind of hint at it? The next time you are walking together, comment that it makes you feel uncomfortable watching her kids run ahead and cross on their own. She should be able to figure out the rest herself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.