Are you a registered organ/tissue donor?
Should it be an opt-out rather than opt-in system?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mum_mum

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

And are you willing to give all or only some of your body?  My family wants my eyes to stay.

The Last Race - 6:30pm this Sunday 26th February on ABC1
http://www.thelastrace.info

Coinciding with DonateLife Week, a national week of raising awareness and promotion of organ and tissue donation, this dramatic film tracks a family's heart-wrenching dilemma when their beloved son is declared brain dead after a cycling accident. A moving and powerful film, it shows a family struggling to make a difficult decision on behalf of a loved one. The complexities of not knowing the deceased’s intentions, and the speed with which the decision has to be made, are brought to the fore. The Last Race tells a story that could become reality for any of us, a decision that anyone may have to make, and about the chance to change a person’s life for the better. As we see the family reach their decision, the film asks, what would you do, and how would you decide if you didn’t know?

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1628695...gan-donor-rates
http://www.donatelife.gov.au

#2 Lumikki

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

Yes, I am and they can take everything they need.  I'm not entirely sure about an opt-out system, but I am annoyed that my next of kin is allowed to override my wishes. I don't think they should have that right when I've specified my wishes.

#3 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

My parents, sisters and myself are all organ donors and none of us would over ride the donation. I think when we filled out the forms it asked you to tick what you want to donate. I wont need my organs so am happy for them to go to someone that does need them.
ETA: I dont think an opt out system would work too well. If you have people that automatcially become organ donors but for religious or personal reasons as to why they dont want to donate but are unaware they are automatically donors then it would cause a world of issues.
It's not that hard to register, doing flyer drops of forms in every persons letter box similar to the census drops would propably reach a lot of people and maybe encourage more people to donate.

Edited by YellowKittyGlenn, 23 February 2012 - 10:12 PM.

#4 *LiMa*

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

I fully support organ donation, and am quite happy for all of my organs to go to people who need them.  As hard as it would be, if I found myself in the situation where my child had passed away I would consent to donating their organs too.

My husband on the other hand flat out refuses to do it, but has no reason for this decision, just I don't want to.  As bad as it sounds, I would strongly consider going against this and donating them anyway if the situation arose.

As for the opt in / opt out system, I do feel that an opt out system would be better, and like a PP I don't believe that next of kin should be able to overwrite the decision of an organ donor and decline to consent to it - which I realise is rather hypocritical given that I, as said earlier, will consider going against DH's wishes and donating his anyway.

#5 Floki

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

All organ donors here even the kids(God forbid). Every bit they can use.

Yes it should be an opt out.

#6 cheekymonkeysmum

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

No i am not neither is dp.

We both know what each other want if on of us pass on.

#7 ChatMe

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

I don't think it should be an opt out system it should stay the same where people who are interested in donating fill in the forms to do so.  

#8 Floki

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

I don't think it should be an opt out system it should stay the same where people who are interested in donating fill in the forms to do so.
Unfortunately those who "opt in" don't always get around to it or it gets forgotten. If it was an "opt out" those who felt strongly about not being a donor would make the effort to remove themselves from the registry.

#9 MsDemeanor

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

I think it should be an opt out system also.

#10 Guest_Dinah_Harris_*

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:19 AM

We are both donors and they can take what they need.  Our families all know this.
I think opt out too.

#11 Lyn29

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

I don't mind that it's an opt-in system - as a PP said there could be all kinds of problems if it was just assumed we'd all opt in unless we said otherwise.

My problem is that, no matter what I've said I want, a family member can reverse my decision with no other reason than they want to. This offends me greatly. Fortunately for our family we are all in agreement so there will be no added angst should the need for donation arise, but it really worries me that some people would go against their loved one's wishes.

I think those who would not donate solely because then they wouldn't get their goodbye moment need to get over themselves - it's just a moment of time compared to a lifetime for someone else.

#12 Jembo

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

Yes am an organ donor for whatever is needed.

I think it should be opt out.  If someone felt strongly enough about not donating then they would take the time to register, just as those who want to donate do.  Many people are not registered, not because they do not want to, but cause they have to do something, such as fill out a form, and they do not.  Many do not know their families wishes because death is not easy to talk about, so they are fine with donation, however just never get around to telling anyone about that.

#13 lynneyours

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

I think it should be opt-out, not opt-in.  I also think that if it was opt-out, and you did, then you should not be eligible to receive organ's should the need arise, but this will never happen.

The organs are a very limited resource, and someone who is not willing to donate, should not receive either.  Just my HO.

ETA - I am a registed donor, and I would donate DH or kids if the need arose, but then we have a friend who's little boy died after his 2nd transplant failed, so have seen the hope, joy, despair of it all.

Edited by lynnemine, 24 February 2012 - 09:39 AM.

#14 missy78

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

yes, I am.  I actually would prefer to donate my entire body to science, but am too regional to do it (in Victoria, you have to live/die within 60km of the Uni of Melbourne for them to accept your remains)

#15 beastie

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:55 AM

I think it shoud remain as an opt in system.  Just because people may 'forget' to opt out doesn't mean that they feel strongly about it, they may just have other more urgent issues in their life.

#16 Sentient Puddle

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

Yes I am - and my family know my wishes.  I also think it should be an opt out system and not opt in.  I also think that anyone who does not want to donate their organs (not those who can't) should think long and hard about their reasons why and should not be allowed to go on a waiting list for an organ later in life.  That would get some people moving!

#17 archygrouseferal

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (Lyn630 @ 24/02/2012, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My problem is that, no matter what I've said I want, a family member can reverse my decision with no other reason than they want to. This offends me greatly. Fortunately for our family we are all in agreement so there will be no added angst should the need for donation arise, but it really worries me that some people would go against their loved one's wishes.

I think those who would not donate solely because then they wouldn't get their goodbye moment need to get over themselves - it's just a moment of time compared to a lifetime for someone else.

All donors here though I'm not sure how much use Dh's and my organs will be as we're 50+.  Does anyone know?

A nurse I know said it's common for family to refuse to honour the person's wishes, often because they don't want the body being mucked about and cut, which also surprised me.  It's so wrong.  I'd like to see opt-out instead of opt-in, but at the very least the donor's decision should be final.   Family rights to refuse ought to be removed, definitely.

#18 ~Marvin~

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

All donors here too. We know several people who have had the gift of an organ donation.

I think to be able to donate organs/tissue and prolong someone's life in your time of loss, would be a way of letting yor lost loved one live on through the recipient, saving another family from loss...

#19 lamarque

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

Yes, I'm a donor as well as being on the Bone Marrow Registry.

I believe in opt out definitely.

#20 unicorn

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

Yes, they can take what they need.
I am in favour of an opt out system, and I also think the person's wishes should override that of the family.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

The #loveyourlines Instagram account taking on body issues

A new Instagram account, LoveYourLines, has put the call out for to change the way we view stretch marks.

Mum gets diploma 51 years after being thrown out of school over pregnancy

Sandra Lantz was about six months pregnant and four months from graduation when she was forced to leave high school. Now, more than half a century later, she has finally graduated.

The lowdown on male midwives

How would you feel about having a male midwife assist your baby's birth? For a growing number of mums, the idea is a reality - and the experts all agree that it's something that should be encouraged.

Bomb threat at daycare centre

Worried parents took to social media yesterday after their children's daycare was evacuated due to a bomb threat.

Unusual celebrity baby names

Celebrities love to use their imaginations when it comes to naming their kids! Here's a gallery of some of the most memorable monikers in show biz families.

5 fears I've overcome since becoming a mum

Motherhood has a way of putting any phobias you had pre-parenthood into perspective: you either realise they?re a pointless waste of energy or they simply vanish in a sleep-deprived haze.

Mums review the Dymples range from Big W

The Big W Dymples range offers parents a vast selection of quality products to keep their little ones happy and healthy. We asked the Real Mums Test Drive team to review some items - here's what they said.

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

My friend had just had a baby, and she wasn't budging: no visit until I had my shots. And it's not an unusual request.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.