TV at childcare..
how do you feel about it?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 -Emissary-

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

As the title states.. how do you feel about your kids watching TV at childcare? Is it normal?

I initially didn't really care when the other centres also had TV time. However, they were only on for 30 minutes and it wasn't a daily thing. At this centre, a children movie is usually turned on at 4.30 pm every single day. The centre closes at 6 pm.

I feel it's laziness. They gather all the kids (from babies to ASC primary schoolers) and turn the TV on. I've picked up DS a few times and all the kids just sit on the floor staring at the TV like zombies. I think 1.5 hours of TV every single day is a bit too much and I don't really like it. DS gets his share to the TV at home but not 1.5 hours straight!

Am I overreacting?

Edited by -Emissary-, 23 February 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#2 Lil Chickens

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

Wow, I didn't think they did have TV at child care - that's why I told DH we should send DD there instead of to MIL!

#3 FeralSingleMum

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

I agree that seems like a bit much for an everyday thing.

They had a movie playing when I picked up DS2 the other day but it was about 36 degrees and I could understand. I wouldn't be impressed if it was an everyday thing

#4 cheekymonkeysmum

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

All the centres i have worked at have had TVs though only in the Pre=School rooms (3-5yrs) Though the carer's only put in on if it was raining or when the littler children were having their naps and the bigger children didn't have naps.
Oh and it was never tv it was always a DVD of the Wiggles or High 5

So not on all the time.

Though i guess if you don't like TV at childcare don't put your kids in vacation care or OSHC.  ph34r.gif

#5 Me n Marshmallow

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (-Emissary- @ 23/02/2012, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am I overreacting?

Hell no! I have never heard of TV at daycare before. You're not paying to have your kid shoved in front of the TV. I'd be pretty angry and would change centres. At my DD's daycare they are always doing something. There is no time for TV.

#6 MuppetGirl

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

I don't have an issue with it if it is only used for short periods of time and in the right circumstances. For me that means, when it is too hot outside and they have already done craft/reading/activities etc, when it is the end of the day and all the kids are grumpy and if it has been raining all day and again, all other activities are done.

#7 ubermum

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

I think that amount is excessive. At most, my kids will watch 30 mins of tv at FDC, and that is only Mr.Maker when they are going to do a project that is shown.

#8 -Emissary-

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

Though i guess if you don't like TV at childcare don't put your kids in vacation care or OSHC

I don't have a problem with TV - I have a problem with excessive TV. Every single day. And it is all the kids, not just the older ones. So even the babies are dragged into the room.

#9 Lightning_bug

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

Our CC uses TV a lot.  But it's as an educational tool rather than a babysitting one.

They watch shows on the life cycle of frogs or the such.  And weekly they have a kids yoga show they get up and do - both the carers and the kids.

Once a week it's movie day and a child can bring in their favourite movie.  While this sounds slap-happy - they do centre the days activities around it so for example if it were jungle boy they'd talk about jungle animals, made a jungle in the corner of the room, played memory games based on what the kids had watched.

TV can be incredibly helpful tool - and yes, sometimes they do just watch a movie on a hot/rainy day or when the kids are especially worked up after a physically hectic day.  But it's rare and despite the angst about TV, even kids need to sit back and relax some times.

#10 cheekymonkeysmum

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (-Emissary- @ 23/02/2012, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't have a problem with TV - I have a problem with excessive TV. Every single day. And it is all the kids, not just the older ones. So even the babies are dragged into the room.

Yeah that would be a pain sorry that bit of my post was meant to be tongue in cheek.

Have you spoken to the carers about this maybe you could get your child doing some craft or playing with toys while the other children are watching telly.

No actually speak directly to the director i would doubt she would like that happening.

#11 -*meh*-

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

ours uses tv when its generally not ok to be outside...

however at DS2 centre there is only really about 4-5 kids left after about 5.30 so they are either outside playing or inside watching some abc/educational show on tv... kids are told they have to watch though, they do have some toys still set up.

DS1's oshc has tv on every morning and afternoon when i drop off and pick up... meh he would be watching it at home otherwise

#12 liveworkplay

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

We have a TV at our centre. In the 5 years we have been there, I have only ever seen (or heard from my DD's) about playschool, animal docos and the very occasional DVD. It is never a regular thing though. I would not be happy about that.

#13 Majeix

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (cheekymonkeysmum @ 23/02/2012, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All the centres i have worked at have had TVs though only in the Pre=School rooms (3-5yrs) Though the carer's only put in on if it was raining or when the littler children were having their naps and the bigger children didn't have naps.
Oh and it was never tv it was always a DVD of the Wiggles or High 5

So not on all the time.

Though i guess if you don't like TV at childcare don't put your kids in vacation care or OSHC.  ph34r.gif

At least their older though. I mean I still think they do too much of it but at least their not tiny ones.

OP I'd be VERY unahappy.

#14 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:28 PM

Fine for exceptional circumstances ie rain, or excessive heat or for short educational videos for the older kids.

#15 CallMeFeral

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

That use of tv I'd be really annoyed at.
When DD was at FDC they used to watch playschool every day, I was fine with that - I think sometimes it would slip to a bit more, which I don't really like but everybody's human and FDCarer must have her off days.
In their centre though, I would not expect tv to be used, and I've never seen the tv on (though she did recognise 'bookaboo' so they've either read about him or watched him?), and I'd be VERY upset if it was 1.5 hours EVERY day! VERY lazy...

#16 mpoppins92

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:51 PM

As someone who has worked in a childcare centre, sometimes it's the only thing that can make the children sit down and take a breather. My centre was a nap free centre and after a day of hectic activities we would quite often do a vote on a movie and let the kids have a break and some quiet time, that and on rainy days when they all seem to go a bit crazy. Having said that though there is no way my bosses would have allowed 1.5 hours a day. Yes when you need to clean up it can be a bit annoying but we would either have outside time or keep one art and craft table open. They should be cleaning up gradually from about 5 onwards so once the kids are gone it's a quick 15 minute sweep and out the door. I don't think 1.5 hours a day is needed.EFS

Edited by mpoppins92, 23 February 2012 - 11:52 PM.

#17 Guest_EllieMayLee1_*

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:56 AM

As a former child care worker and now mother I would not be happy. The only time I have used the tv was for educational purposes, if it were raining all day (I would have activities set up also) or at Christmas time (as a treat- also other activities would be offered). I think it is lazy to plonk them in front of the tv and unfair on the parents. Chances are that the energy they stored up sitting down will be unleashed on the parents after they are picked up. I would complain.

#18 lozoodle

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:02 AM

At 4.30pm? I wouldn't care at all.

By that time of day a lot of kids are exhausted and all played out. They need some time to wind down as its a pretty long day for them.

If it were an all day thing then yes I'd be a bit bothered, but at 4.30pm I wouldn't care. A lot of kids have already gone home by that time anyway, so I see nothing wrong with the ones remaining having a bit of wind down time with a movie.

#19 melaine

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

I've never seen the tv on at our childcare centre. I think the kinder room has one and apparently over summer they watched a tv show my son tells me. That was the first I ever heard of it.

They get grouped into the 2-3 year old room by the end of the day and there is no tv in there as far as I know. At least I've never seen it on and I have picked him up after 6pm a couple of time (our centre is open till 7pm - but only a couple of kids left after 6pm).

At 4.30pm they are often still playing outside.

Edited by undomesticmumma, 24 February 2012 - 08:04 AM.

#20 Bluenomi

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:09 AM

Our daycare centre doesn't even have a tv.

In the todder room they sometimes pull out the laptop on rainy days and put on a short DVD which is usually a DVD version of a story. The kids and the carers will read along and do the actions etc and make it interactive. It wouldn't be on for more than 30 mins.

At 4:30 they are usually all outside so the carers can clean up inside while the kids run around.

#21 Oriental lily

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:33 AM

We have one in the pre kinder room but I have only seen it on once before Christmas and they were watching a Xmas theme movie.

I have no problem with it being used occasionally.

Op that seems excessive though.

#22 Sail to the Moon

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

1.5 hours everyday seems like far too much TV if there are babies and young children there too. If there were only school aged children in the room and it was only allowed from 5pm onwards and there were other activities set up indoors or outdoors for them then it wouldn't be quite so bad. They would have had a busy and long day at school and would most likely be doing a similar thing at home.

Some long day care centres do have TV's in the toddler and preschool rooms, but it would only be used very occasionally (due to wet weather) or if the children are particularly unsettled at the end of a particularly bad day to help them calm down when other techniques to calm them down aren't working.

#23 FeralBob!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

The one DD went to used TV in the evenings after 5.30, (6pm shut) when there were few kids and at the end of the day when it was too hot or too rainy to play outside.

I never had a problem with it, as it was also intended to calm the kids down after running around all day, but I would be concerned at it being on for an hour and a half every day.

#24 gizboo

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:26 AM

I don't like it at all!!
I posted a similar thread over a year ago when my children's new centre had a TV (their previous one, did not), and I was assured it was normal. I asked about a TV policy as suggested here, and witnessed it being use more then the policy said. I didn't like it, so we moved them to one which doesn't.
In this case though, the TV was put on at the same time (4:30ish, after coming indoors), but used a babysitter so the children wouldn't mess up a tidied room. glare.gif

#25 msro82

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:32 AM

DD in her 4 years at one centre has watched TV twice. Once was the gruffalo, so 30 mins and the 2nd time was playschool when it had been raining for a 4 days straight! The kids misbehaved so it was turned off after 10 mins.

I agree it must laziness and I would not be happy having my child watching a movie at that time everyday. How hard is it to have some lego, dolls and drawing bits and pieces out? DD's daycare if they are not outside at that time are generally either do the above or playing bobs and statues or similar.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Pete Evans says a paleo diet can prevent autism. He's wrong

Pete Evans is not a paediatrician or even a nutritionist or dietitian. So why should we believe his extreme views and remove food groups from our children's diets over the advice from those more qualified?

Let's get back to commonsense parenting

Forget the new 'Lawnmower' parenting trend; try using plain old-fashioned commonsense instead.

Woman sues after having a mixed-race baby

A US woman is suing a sperm bank after it sent her vials from African-American man, instead of the white donor she had selected.

Bonding ideas dad will love

Dad may not say it, but he could be feeling lost, confused and seriously left out. However, there are lots of things new fathers can do to be more included in the excitement of pregnancy and new parenthood.

The house that hope built for childhood cancer

Baby Laelani Baker was diagnosed with cancer before she was even born. Her heartbreaking story is just one of the reasons the Build for a Cure project is raising money for vital research into childhood cancer.

Does stay-at-home parenting get better?

Parenting doesn’t ever get easier; the challenges just change. But the challenges of caring for young children definitely lessens as they get older.

Inquest into the short and tragic life of Chloe Valentine

As the first phase of an inquest into the death of Chloe Valentine drew to a close, there was no doubt Chloe's life was marred by appalling neglect.

When mothers kill

The act of killing one's child is unthinkable for most, and a mother who kills her offspring has a special power to inspire shock and revulsion.

6 beauty tips for tired mums

For those of us with young children, eight hours sleep is a distant memory. And while we can’t do much to secure more shut-eye, there are some ways to fake it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Awkward grandparents

When Grandma and Grandpa pose for a snap with the kids, things can get very weird, very quickly.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.