Dust Mite allergy?
Sounds about right? How to deal with it?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alvarywinters

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

Hey guys!

Bit of a back story...

DP and I moved into this house a bit over 2 years ago. It's an old house (1850's) and not terribly well cared for. We have a very relaxed rent set-up with the landlord which also means it's tricky to get anything done lol (this is relevant for later lol)
DP started to have trouble with what we thought was hayfever, which he suffered from a bit when he was in his early teens. He was city then and is rural now so it made sense that it would pop up again. Except it rarely had any pattern to it, except for always starting when canola was in flower...but was there other times too.
I have tried to get him to see a doctor but he's so stubborn about it...he saw 2 docs about another problem and mentioned the hayfever then (and asked for tests) and they said "just take some tablets"  rolleyes.gif

So...the last few months it has gotten worse...something twigged with me...the last while (which he describes as being different / worse from normal) have been at night. So we replaced the pillows (only thing I could think of) and it was better for a while. Now it's back. When I mentioned it to family, someone said dust mites. Of course!  happy.gif

Symptoms are;
Hard to breathe
Heavy 'wet' chest (not always)
Wheezing
Watery eyes and nose
Coughing
Chest and throat feeling 'tight'

Lately it's been about 30 mins after going to bed. Also sometimes during the day, nearly always when I'm moving things / cleaning. I don't use ANY chemicals like hair spray, deodorant, air freshener, carpet deodorizer, spray cleaners etc as I am sensitive to them myself. All soaps, laundry products etc are hypoallergenic.
We have dogs and cats but DP has been around them all his life, not sure if a pet allergy would pop up now?

Oh and looking back DP thinks maybe it was asthma he had when he was a kid, not hayfever as it was always during physical exertion or stress.

So...long story short! Until I can convince DP to see a doc about this (it'll take a couple of months of work!) what can I do to test this and cut down on problems? So far looking at;
Covers for pillows / mattress
More regular washing of bedding
Moving the bedroom to a room with better airflow (current is a bit stuffy)
Ditching the woolen under blanket
Washing or removing curtains

What can I do about the carpets? Landlord won't remove them (I have asked before, they have such lovely timber floors under them!) Thinking I might try some diatomaceous earth to cut mite numbers down (vacume it out) but that won't help with getting the carpet cleaner  =\
Will pets make it worse? Not that we would consider getting rid of them! ( wink.gif ) but could change the way they live inside.
What about other parts of the house? Tips, esp from those in older houses?

With a bub not too far in the future I'm glad we are looking at getting this all sorted now. Would be nice to know we are cutting down on nasties in the house, with a history of allergies on both sides of the family!

Thanks for reading my long post! Looking forward to hearing other people's ideas and stories original.gif

#2 mum_mum

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=962247 may help

#3 Alvarywinters

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

I swear, I did a search and did not see that, will have a read!

Any ideas on convincing DP to see a doc or any tips specific to old houses?

Doing some reading into diatomaceous earth re dust mites and the info seems really positive, very excited about giving it a go. Will help with the flea outbreak we have atm too...argh taking in someone else's dog >.<

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Video: 10-week-old baby sounds like she says 'I love you'

It’s mixed in amongst garbled baby talk, but this 10-week-old's apparent attempt at telling her parents that she loves them has made her an internet star.

I only enjoyed pregnancy after booking my caesarean

To say I became obsessed is something of an understatement. Everywhere I went I found cause to be reminded of my impending pain.

When your bundle doesn't bring immediate joy

One mum says joy is very a personal feeling and expecting all new mums to feel it in the months after their baby born may do more harm than good.

Lessons learned from my toddler

Blogger Kiran Chug explains why she is going to let her toddler make more decisions for himself.

Family welcomes first baby girl in more than 100 years

The Silverton family has heard the phrase "it's a girl" for the first time in four generations.

When a community of kindness steps in

In future when someone I care for, or even someone I barely know, is experiencing a difficult time, I will not overthink it. I'll follow my heart.

Mum in Business: Jac Bowie

Jac Bowie is the founder of Business in Heels, one of the fastest growing women’s networking events in Australia. She shares her story, including how she juggles work with a young family, and ways to work smarter.

What not to say to a mum of twins

Being a mum of identical twin boys stirs up great interest and fascination. It also opens itself up to nosy, invasive questions, as well as huge assumptions.

The mums suing over unplanned babies

A mother-of-five who calls her two youngest sons "miracle babies" is just one of many mums seeking financial compensation for their children's unplanned conceptions.

Video: Dad sings 'Hallelujah' to his daughter every year

It's a gorgeous song to begin with, but this dad's version of Hallelujah, sung for his young daughter, is especially touching.

Constipation in babies when starting solids

While starting solids can be frustrating and messy (yet also fun!), introducing solids can also play havoc on tiny digestive systems.

Parents reunited with baby snatched from hospital

A mother whose newborn baby was snatched from hospital has spoken of her joy and relief at getting her daughter back.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies - bump selfies - really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind"?

Life on the other side of the fence: Why I'm child-free and quite content

Acknowledging that motherhood isn't a bed of roses – to begrudge lack of time, sleep, money and spontaneity – is sacrilegious and a no-no, especially by mother superior-types.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind", as one writer has claimed?

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.