Can a landlord request this legally?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 KylieferalMin0gue

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

Just a quick query.  I am looking at moving house as the house that I am in is getting too small for my growing kids.  I saw an advertisement today for a property.  The description sounded good, but obviously there were no pictures.

When I called the landlord (it is a private landlord), she said that the tenants she currently has are being evicted, and she is sick of getting taken advantage of by tenants, so instead of asking for 6 weeks bond and 2 weeks rent in advance, she was not going to let anyone move in unless they paid the 6 weeks bond and 3 weeks in advance.  (ie an extra week in advance)  She also said that after the initial rent was paid, she wanted the next fortnightly payment to be 2 weeks later, so that basically if you did not pay rent on its due date she would still be a week in front, and she would go straight to the tribunal as soon as rent was a day late.  (For the record I have never paid rent late, and never would)

I was just wondering if it is acceptable or allowed for a landlord to say they wanted 3 weeks rent in advance, as well as the bond, as I have always known it as 2 weeks in advance.  (I do understand her reasoning, but it is a little unfair for all us 'good' tenants to have to come up with over $3000 just to move into a place.  (Although I know some people pay months and months in front at the commencement of a lease so as to secure a rental)

I am in SA if that helps

eta. she would not give me any address details etc, and said that I needed to fill out an application form, and for her to accept me as a tenant before I could view the property.  I also have not even seen pics.

Edited by KylieMin0gue, 23 February 2012 - 08:50 PM.

#2 3_for_me

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

I wouldnt be touching a private landlord like that with a ten foot barge pole.  If she is this much truble beforeyou even move in imagine what she would be like once you were actually there!

#3 Coffeegirl

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

IMO I'd be looking elsewhere. She sounds like a LL who wouldn't tjink twice about walking into your house at anytime "just to check something"

Run run as fast as you can!

#4 missy78

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

She's trouble. You haven't even moved in yet! Run! Don't walk, away!

#5 Goggie

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

Looks like it depends on the state and how much you pay. Found this link:
http://www.rentalagreementsdiy.com.au/tena...n_australia.php

Hth

#6 pinkpineapple

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

I'd be looking elsewhere too. She sounds like trouble.

Fwiw in Vic I had to pay 1months bond and 1 months rent in advance. Then rent is paid monthly DD. Notice to vacates can be issued when rent is 14days late.

Also never been able to apply for a property before viewing it.

Edited by pinkpineapple, 23 February 2012 - 09:00 PM.

#7 2FairyGirls

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

Run.  I had a ll from hell.  It is likely the landlord is privately renting because no agency will touch her with a 10 foot pole.  No not enter into any further discussions with her !!!

#8 casime

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

No way would I go anywhere near this woman!

#9 BetteBoop

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

In Queensland, the bond is a maximum of 4 weeks rent and you can't be asked to pay more than that (unless the rent is more than $500pw then the bond amount is not limted).

Paying 2 weeks rent in advance is often misunderstood by tenants. To be weeks in advance at all times, that means you pay 4 weeks and when 2 weeks of it runs out, you pay another 2. It doesn't mean you pay 2 weeks, wait until it all runs out and then pay rent again.

If that's your agreement, she could go to the Tribunal for a breach of the contract. Whether it gets her anywhere is another story.

Like a PP said, this Lessor sounds a bit full on. Avoid like the plague.

#10 *cough*

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (3_for_me @ 23/02/2012, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldnt be touching a private landlord like that with a ten foot barge pole.  If she is this much truble beforeyou even move in imagine what she would be like once you were actually there!

This.

Renting from her would be asking for trouble.

#11 KylieferalMin0gue

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

Thanks ladies.  I was thinking about running in the opposite direction, but wasn't sure if I was being too precious!

#12 Escapin

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

Run! Run away!!!

#13 Guest_Cathode_*

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (3_for_me @ 23/02/2012, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I second this! and I am a landlord!

#14 Kristina13

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

I agree and I am a landlord (whilst we use a letting agency)....and why does her property attract such feral (evicted) tenants???? No thanks look elsewhere!!!!

#15 Amber Spyglass

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

I've worked in real estate agencies and I bet she's a private landlord because she's too hard to deal with professionally.

Another who thinks you should run away now and don't look back.

#16 mummaorange

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

sounds like my ex landlord. it's not in reynella east is it??lol

#17 Gangnam Style

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

Plenty more fish in the sea.

#18 *Danielle

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

Just going on what you have mentioned I would have to say continue looking.  I am a property manager in WA and also a landlord.  Private landlords and private tenants can sometimes be a lot more work than is required.  You need to ask the question why is she not renting her property out through an agency????  Is she hard work?  Is she tight with moneny meaning does not like paying for maintenance??  I would stick to an agency for sure.
Good luck in your search.

Danielle

#19 FeralSingleMum

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

I just started renting a place and the bond was 6 week rent.

Run not walk away!

#20 taddie

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:46 AM

She probably won't do this because she's private, but an application signed etc means they can do a credit check, and a funny thing about credit checks is if you have too many in a short time it goes against your credit score (at least it used to last time I checked). If you had to submit an application for every house before seeing it you'd be in trouble with your credit score fast. Don't do it.

#21 mumto3princesses

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:38 AM

I agree, I would run away.

I also wouldn't be putting an application in without knowing the address and either looking at it myself or having someone look at it for me. It sounds really weird to me to expect people to apply (giving allyour  personal details) and be accepted as tenants before they can even look.

#22 ILBB

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:43 AM

Run, run as fast as you can!  I have rented privately before but never from someone like this.  It can work but I would never put in an application before seeing a place and based on what she has already told you then you are asking for trouble even if you are a model tenant!

#23 Holidayromp

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

Sounds dodgy at all costs.  There is no way I would submit an application for a place I haven't viewed.  Also with that sort of attitude I am wondering if her tenants are as bad as she makes out - she sounds like she is hard work and the sort of landlord you don't want to become involved with.  

On the other hand - if she is only attracting the bad tenants - they are the tenants that noone else wants and obviously need to live somewhere and because her attitude could be scaring away the good tenants she is only attracting the bad ones because she has no choice but to accept them to have her property occupied.

Run for miles.  Also if you feel you have nothing to loose I would be telling her what you thought of her attitude and to as why she is only attracting crap tenants.  An attitude change would go a long way in her case.  original.gif

#24 MsDemeanor

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:06 AM

Please don't rent with a private landlord. I have done so in the past and my experience was horrific. Absolutely horrific. To the point that if I told you what she had done, it wouldn't be believed it is that random and crazy.

#25 ani1

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

Stay away, you do not want a landlord like that  nno2.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.