Another scan and yep it will be a BIG baby...
getting concerned

22 replies to this topic

#1 belad

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

I know the 'weight' measured at ultrasounds can be wrong (less/more), and the midwife told me that again today, but at todays scan our baby is measuring at 5015g / 11lb 1oz. Seeing as though I am not quite 38wks, this is starting to freak me out.
We see our OB next Tuesday and will talk to him then about safe options for delivery, if bub keeps growing at the rate they are (about 700-800g per fortnight, we have been for several ultrasounds lately).

I know I shouldn't panic and my OB is fantastic, but just the thought of 11lb (or bigger) is now freaking me out!!

Around 4.5kg / 10lb seems to be average amongst people I know, which didn't concern me, but just wondering what sort of experiences people have had during labour with babies bigger than that?

Thanks for sharing  original.gif

#2 sjl

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

If your really stressed about things don't wait until next tues give your ob a call today.

I had a big second baby who wouldn't engage therefore we went straight for a c/s as that was the safest option for my situation.

goodluck with things.

Edited by sjl, 23 February 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#3 michellew68

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

I am sorry I have no advice for you.

I just wanted to ask- Arent you uncomfortable?

My DD was 9.9lb and my hips and pelvis were so sore. Very hard for your pelvic floor to recover as well. I had VD with no pain releif. It was awful. Lots of stitches.

But I know there are heaps of mums who have had bigger babies with no worries no stitches.

Good luck original.gif

#4 Boys Rock

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

Definitely talk with your ob tomorrow and discuss all your options.

#5 belad

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:17 PM

Thanks Ladies.... at the last scan we were at around 10lb and I got used to that, but I think to be at 11lb today was more of a shock than anything!!

Yep Michelle, certainly have the uncomfortable moments and was starting to wonder why I was starting to get tired so much easier the few days or so...  ohmy.gif

sjl... yeh last time we met with OB, he mentioned C section may be the safest option as bub hadn't yet engaged. Will call his office in the morning and see if we can get in before Tues.

#6 CupcakeMumma

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

My last was 9 lb 6 oz and I'm not very big, she arrived speedily in 50 minutes.  I had a few stitches, but I could have gotten up and walked home.  No one had any idea she would be that big she was a pound and a half bigger than the one before,  please speak to your OB he should be able to set your mind at rest.

#7 whydoibother

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

no offence but 4.5kg is not normal-it is macro somatic.

#8 belad

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Thanks CupcakeMumma, 50min... wow, you definitely had a positive experience. Calling OB first thing, I'm sure both him and the midwife there will be very reassuring. I think it was more of a shock than anything!! I was only 6pd 7oz born.... if only I passed that on  huh.gif

ha ha Loopy, yes I know.... no offence taken  biggrin.gif

#9 NewMumm

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

Its impossible to tell how much your baby is going to weigh from a scan. Most doctors, midwives and obs dont say how much it weighs from a scan because it is so in accurate. Dont beleive everything that they tell you. And whats the point of getting stressed over something that you cant control???

#10 Expelliarmus

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

DD1 was over 11lb. I would advise considering a c-section. I have suffered untold damage and the OB admitted afterwards if he realised the baby was so large, which she didn't palpitate as, then he would have advised a c-section.

In addition, given this appears to be baby number one for you, I would say that you should seriously consider a planned c-section.

DD1 was engaged but she got stuck, I pushed for 2 hours which was AWFUL and her actual birth was traumatic with forceps, no pain relief and me practically passing out from the pain. Only by OB skill did she not have shoulder dystocia. She was well stuck with a massive head.

You might birth the baby just fine ... but I couldn't personally, with this experience behind me, advocate anything but a planned caesar.

Good luck for the birth.

As to how accurate scans are - I had a lot with the next two, given how large DD1 was, and they were actually extremely accurate and the baby was within a few hundred grams of estimation. They were 4.5 and 4kg and birthed vaginally as well.

Edited by howdo, 27 February 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#11 Guest_Hoggle_*

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

I have had big babys with no problem at all. I also don't think the weight is necessarily the biggest factor. I had a baby a pound bigger than a friends baby but they had the same size head and were the same length, mine was just chubbier, which really made no impact on the delivery at all. I think the size of specific parts of the baby would make a bigger difference and if you are in a good position in labour and all that then I think you will be fine.

My smallest baby was just short of 9 pound, one was just short of 10 pound and the other was over 10 pound. I had 3 easy drug free births and did not require any stitching ever. I had easier recoveries than friends that have had 6-7 pound babies.

Also, the pushing stage with my second two lasted 5-10 minutes. Their size didn't make it difficult at all. (Oh I also had two with big heads too! 36 and 37cms)

#12 Guest_Hoggle_*

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

Also my first was my biggest baby of the lot.

Consider a water birth or at least labouring in the water, I think that is what helped me the most. My first I pushed for a bit over 2 hours but I remember the midwife saying that it was good, as it gave everything a good chance to stretch slowly and is probably why I didn't tear or anything.

Don't stress about it would be my biggest piece of advice. It's going to be easier if you are more relaxed about the labour.

#13 Expelliarmus

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

The difference between a 10lb baby and an 11lb one is quite dramatic. 38-40cm heads are not easy to birth for a first baby. It's not only the head however - that is where mine got stuck and needed forceps - but the greater fear for an 11lber is the shoulders getting stuck.
A larger, chubbier baby with that extra pound on them has wider shoulders and the extra fat on them makes it harder for them to move the shoulders into position/flex them.

My daughter's shoulders were manually moved by the OB as soon as her head was out, before they could even get stuck. 39cm head, pair for forceps and two hands in there ... noice.

I laboured upright, in the shower, moving around and did all the right slow labour things etc etc etc but it didn't make a difference. Sometimes it doesn't. That is just my experience - it was awful.

OP please have a long chat to the OB and find out what his/her experiences with large babies are and what he/she recommends as your caregiver with access to all your records and scans.

Edited by howdo, 27 February 2012 - 11:09 AM.

#14 Wild Strawberry

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

I have biggish babies although not quite as big as your estimate but i never found them difficult to birth.

My biggest was my first at 4.7 kg and i had first degree tearing and he was out in a few pushes. Very easy birth (well as easy as birth can be).

My second was 4 kg but same quick and easy birth. No tear.

My third was born at home in water at 4.5kg and despite his head being 38cm he was still out in a few pushes with no tear. I think the water helped alot with the pain though.

You keep reading about scans not being accurate but speak to your OB. Can he feel baby and make a guess that way?
Good luck with your birth and make sure you update with bubs actual size original.gif

#15 *-*

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

OP Please please please, contact your OB asap.

Anecdotal advice offered is useless, and dangerous where it comes to macrosomic babies.  Macrosomic babies require monitoring and vigilance.  The fact that one woman says she can birth larger babies (a point to note, there is a huge difference between 4.5kg and 5kg, in the way the extra fat is distributed) does not mean that you can, and vice versa.

A macrosomic baby can cause, and be the cause of some quite serious issues.  I understand scans are not definitive, but in this case, they are warranted and needed.

Good luck op.

#16 BentoBaby

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

How did your ob appointment go OP?

#17 newyearbaby

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

My sister's first baby was 11lb 14oz so around 5.4kg. My sister is 179cm tall and quite broad. She managed a vaginal birth with only some gas for pain relief. However, it is everyone's opinion, including my own (and I am a big pro vaginal birth person), hers and the medical staff, that she should have had a caesarean. It was an extremely difficult birth for both mum and daughter, and they are very lucky everything turned out okay in the end.

Good luck with making a tough decision.

#18 belad

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

Hi ladies,
Thankyou all for sharing your stories... certainly put my mind at ease.
We saw our OB and although weight at scans could be out, bub still isn't engaged so he believes head may be too big (oh bother).
We have a c section booked for this Wednesday.
We meet with both the OB and Hospital tomorrow to confirm timing etc but looks like Wednesday is the day and I guess we will then know the size!!

Thanks again for sharing everyone  bbighug.gif

#19 runlikethewind

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

DS was a tad over 4.5 kg and I was told the day before that he was " about 7 pounds". So they can get the scans quite wrong. DS would not engage and was stuck semi sideways with no room left to turn so in the end, after three failed inductions he was delivered via CS. If that  is the safest option, go that way but just wanted to add, from my experience, I also had a 9 pd 8 DD two years earlier born naturally and very easily. If it came to having a choice I would choose a natural delivery any day.

#20 BentoBaby

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

Good luck for Wednesday & thanks for updating original.gif

#21 Expelliarmus

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

Good luck OP! All the best for Wednesday.

#22 fairymagic

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

Will be hanging out to see how big this bubs ends up being. Scans can be out by more than 20% but they can also be fairly accurate as well.

I think if you're comfortable with the decision made, thats great.

Good luck on Wednesday.

#23 MickeyBoo

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

I had an 11pd baby, (5.02kg) and although I had her naturally and didn't tear, that was probably the extent of the good things to happen during labour.  She did get stuck at the shoulders and ended up with mild shoulder dystocia. She also had a range of other health problems that may or may not have been related to her size , but could have been more related to the fact that I had undiagnosed GD. We were unprepared in the sense that the Drs and Midwives were convinced she was only around 9pd, so when she got stuck it hit panic stations.

If I had a choice I would have been induced at 38 weeks, and the following three births that I have had/am about to have they won't let me go past 38weeks just in case bub turns out bigger than expected again (plus diabetes). So I think you're doing the right thing by opting for a C-Sec, and I just wanted to wish you good luck!

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.