My baby being bitten and scratched 5 times in 1 month

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Baby Elmo

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:29 PM

Hey all

My one year old baby has only been in daycare centre 3 days a week for 5 weeks, so been there for 15 days. She's since been bitten by other kids 4 times, and today another kid scratched her cheeks and her lips even bled.

I'm mortified and quite stressed, but being a first time mum, I'm not sure if this is normal in day care centres. Could I ask if anyone of you have had similar experiences where your babies are bitten regularly at centres ? I'm contemplating whether to start searching for a new centre for her

thanks in advance.

#2 MummaDiva

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

You poor thing - it's awful having to worry if your kids are OK while you are at work.
Biting and scratching is something that kids just "do", but I would expect my center to let me know of any incidents.  A bleeding scratch is something that requires a little bit of explanation, I would say.  Being bitten 4 times ... does seem like an awful lot.

My DDs day care actually asks the parents of any LOs with long fingernails to cut them before they leave, just to avert this kind of thing.  Nail clippers are kept by the door (and are stored in disinfectant - Milton? maybe? before and after each use).  Perhaps you could suggest such a policy?

#3 Guest_Cathode_*

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:11 AM

Each of my boys were bitten once, maybe twice in their entire time in daycare (about 2.5yrs each in daycare). So, yeah, 4 times in 5 weeks is A LOT.

Do you know if it is the same child each time biting yours?

Edited by Cathode, 22 February 2012 - 01:12 AM.

#4 Carmen02

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:46 AM

that is alot for a short space, i would question the carers see what sort of response you get even stick around spying see how you go! nothing worse worrying about them in childcare

#5 BlondieUK

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:23 AM

1. Do they know who is doing the biting? If not, why not?
2. Is it the same child, or mostly the same child?
3. If so, what measures are being put in place to make sure it stops happening?
4. Did they tell you in a timely way? If not, why not?
5. Is there an incident report? If not, why not?

I would be asking thee questions in a pretty firm way - if the responses are not satisfactory, I would be finding new child care (and I hear about how tough this can be) and writing a pretty strong letter of complaint to their head office or the government body that oversees their licencing.

(Take photos of any injuries).

#6 meggs10

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:29 AM

I would never tolerate biting at Child Care and would put in a complaint with the Manager of the Centre. I had the same problem when my DS1 was 18 months and I told the Centre to do something about or I would be taking him out, and they did. He was never bitten again for the remainder of the time he was there.

I'm surprised that a previous PP wrote: (Biting and scratching is something that kids just "do") because it isn't. How would like to be bitten and scratched everyday? Why should kids have to put up with that just because they are kids?

#7 poss71

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:33 AM

I'd be asking for an explanation: Firstly, why is it happening; is your baby in the wrong age group (are the other kids much bigger?); should there be more/better supervision of a particular child/children/play area. Secondly, what steps are they taking to manage the situation and prevent it from occurring again.

That many incidents in five weeks suggests a problem.  If you can't get a satisfactory response and action plan from the carers, speak to the director or centre manager.

It is highly unlikely they will give you information about the child or children involved, but you can insist on them telling you how many children have been involved, as this will not be a breach of privacy.

Without knowing more, I am speculating, but I'd say if it's one child I would insist on closer management of both children until the problem resolves (and it should, if that's the case); but if it's two or more, you may be experiencing a systemic problem with the care provided in that room.

If it's the latter - and you think the problem is with the carers rather than the kids - speak to management; jump up and down, explain that you expect better care than she is receiving and start to look at other centres in case it doesn't improve. Tell the director you are looking as well, as their response will give you an idea of their interest level. Be 'that' mum, it's your child you are protecting and you are entitled to good quality care for her.

We had a problem with biting and scratching with DD1 being regularly 'marked up' at a centre she attended 3 x week. DD1 was new to the centre. It was one child doing the scratching/biting - both were around the 11 - 13m age, IIRC. They were interested in the same toys and didn't have the skills to negotiate. Both were upset, but my DD didn't react the same way as the other child, she just snatched instead of scratching! It happened in front of me one day around pick up time (we used to play for a bit before leaving); I gave them both a cuddle and showed them 'gentle hands', then found a similar toy so each could sit side by side and play.  I asked the carers to allow them to sit together in this way, but supervised to make sure neither one was missing out in future. They are now good friends at 4yo and there were no further incidents.

So it's not always a major problem, but I would have preferred closer management in my own situation, as both kids were upsetting each other, but DD1 had shorter nails lol.

Good luck sorting it out.

#8 Rosie Sparkle

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:37 AM

As the mother of a biter I agree totally with BlondieUK. Although I had advised the day care of DS's biting there were changes to teachers etc they hadn't passed the message onto the new teacher. Irrespective of the miscommunication, the biting needed to stop.

I was notified of the incident that day, asked to sign an accident form. I also notified them of the steps we were following at home to stop the biting. We also discussed the triggers that caused DS to bite. The teachers were more vigilant in watching DS during times where he may be wanting to bite. Finally we agreed that I continue with the steps taken at home. Thankfully there was never a recurrence.

I would also start searching for another centre just to determine what options you have.

#9 The Falcon

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:45 AM

As PP have said, biting and scratching is normal behaviour for that age group, but that is why the carers should be watching out for these sorts of things.

My DD has been in LDC since 12 weeks and has on occasion been noth a biter and a bitee, so I don't think it has much to do with being new.  At around 12 months she was bitten 3 times in 2 weeks, all by the same child, and always because DD was trying to take the other childs toy.  I got incident reports every time (even though there was often no mark by pick up time).  The staff told me they had spoken to the offending childs parents, and they tried to jump in when they saw DD and the other child going near each other but on those occasions they had been too quick for them.  I don't know whether the other child got over their biting at this point or the carers got better at getting in between them, but after this 2 week period it stopped.

At another point somewhere between 10-18 months (can't remember extactly) DD went through a biting stage where she was biting everyone very very often (adults included).  We made the staff aware of it, and during that 2 months or so where she was going through that stage she only bit another child once.

So, I suppose I am saying that it is normal behaviour but the staff should be better at stopping it than that.  Also important to know if it is the same child doing it every time, as if its the same child it sounds like it is that childs issue, but if it is different children biting your child then it may be that being new to the daycare environment your child is still learning to share and constantly grabbing other childrens toys or something, in which case I don't think the carers can be blamed as they can't just follow your child around all day to make sure she doesn't get into trouble

#10 belsy

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:55 AM

I think I would be asking whether it was the same child biting your little one and whether there was a management strategy in place.

Scratches IMO are  a dime a dozen at creche.

FWIW DS1 was bitten probably 10 times in his 4+ years of creche, once badly.  DS2 just a couple so far.  I always took photos although I didn't really know what I would actually do with them, I thought it was best to document them.

Also I thought any injury to the face required an incident report.  I know that I got sick of getting called up through the years for a scratch but I believe it is mandatory.

#11 Guest_GreyMatter_*

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

I agree with Blondie UK.

DS was bitten once or maybe twice in the 3 years he was at daycare, so I think that 5 times in 4 weeks is a lot.

I'd be asking questions.

#12 oneday01

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

working in childcare i have seen this issue alot. it is very common to have children that bite others out of frustration and dont have the language skills to communicate. it is usually over wanting the same toy etc. It happens fast and even as a career you can be right next to them and still not be able to stop it from happening in time.
keeping a close eye on the children who are known to be bitters is very important to watch their behaviour you can usually tell when its about to happen.
But keep in mind that there are many things happening at one time with so many children and only few staff that it wont always be able to be stopped.
but hopefully the centre is aware of the bitters and also communicates to the parents of the bitter to make sure they are aware of the behaviour. The careers should be doing all they can to help prevent this from happen.
Also currently im working in the babies room and there is a  baby who is learning to walk. He pulls himself up on top of other babies and can sometimes bite or scatch other babies when doing so.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Five ways my second pregnancy is second best

As I roll into the second half of "Pregnancy: The Sequel", here is breakdown of the differences I have found thus far.

Domestic politics

Why I felt guilty about having a cleaner

Coming home to a clean house was a pleasure – and yet, I felt uneasy.

'Ugly' hearing aid ad leaves parents fuming

When Alecia Donoghue found out her baby would need hearing aids she worried about him becoming the target for schoolyard bullies.

Have you seen these missing children?

The Australian Federal Police has released the following information to locate some of Australia's missing children through the Family Law Court.

Margarita time

Keira Knightley welcomes first child

British actress Keira Knightley has become a first-time mother.

IVF patients in the dark over which clinics are least successful

Couples with fertility problems have little way of knowing which IVF clinics are the best performers despite significant differences between clinic success rates.

Couple forced to defend their decision to become parents

They met, fell in love and got married. Then, just like couples everywhere, Simon and Vicky Moore decided it was time to have a baby.

The one parenting tip that made all the difference

Amongst the useless, ill-informed advice we're given as new parents, many of us also receive nuggets of wisdom that make our lives just that little bit easier.

Five lies you tell yourself when you're pregnant

You can see it all now: glowing mumma with her gorgeous babe ... you know exactly what you're going to be like. Or perhaps you know exactly what you're not going to be like.

Family expecting fourth set of twins

A couple is expecting their fourth set of twins in five years.

The day my daughter almost drowned

We had six adults standing there, so I felt like I could relax a bit. After all, what could go wrong with so much supervision?

Sydney siege survivor names baby after victim Katrina Dawson

A Sydney barrister who survived the Lindt cafe siege has named her newborn daughter after her best friend who died in the tragedy.

The universal working mother experience

These days mothers need more than just traditional career advice.

Obama feels full force of toddler tantrum

Shopping centres, restaurants, the White House ... the list of places toddlers like to throw tantrums is endless.

Banishing bloat

How to avoid a bloated tummy

Here are some foods to eat in order to escape feeling ghastly and gassy.

The great new picture book for anxious kids

My son is a worrier by nature. I learnt long ago that it was completely pointless to say to him "Don't worry about it!".

Budget stripped more than $15b from families

The combined impact of the two budgets for low and middle income people was "devastating", new analysis by the Australian Council of Social Service shows.

Pregnant women urged to get flu shots

As the winter chill starts to arrive, NSW Health is urging pregnant women to get their flu shots.

65-year-old gives birth to quadruplets

A 65-year-old German woman, who already has 13 children, has given birth to quadruplets.

What you need to know about pregnancy and health insurance

It's not just waiting periods that couples need to consider - there are other factors to consider when thinking about health insurance.

Yummy mummy

Nicole Trunfio breastfeeds baby on Elle magazine cover

Australian model Nicole Trunfio has taken the concept of multitasking to a fashionable new level for Elle Australia.

Warnings after baby girl died while sleeping in bouncer

Parents have been warned about the dangers of letting babies sleep in bouncers and swings following the death of a three-month-old girl.

Coping with fatigue as a parent

Sleep deprivation is a real hazard of caring for a baby. But there are ways to manage the challenges of fatigue better.

A very 21st century issue: parents, parks and smart phones

It's not all the parents, and it's not all the time, but there is often at least one doing it. And sometimes, that 'one' is me.

Appliances

Faulty washing machines linked to house fires

More than 80,000 faulty Samsung washing machines pose a fire threat in homes throughout Australia despite a nationwide recall of the machines.

7 things you might not know about postnatal depression

Despite its widespread nature, there is still a great amount of mystery surrounding PND - and it's important to try unravelling as much of that as we can.

Seven questions you should be asking about your health cover

If the last time you assessed your health cover was five years ago, there?s a chance it may no longer suit your needs. To ensure it?s still right for your family, click here for seven questions to ask.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

How to use gas effectively in labour

Many women in labour don't use gas effectively and suffer more side effects than benefits. Here's how to get the most out of this pain relief option.

'He has gastro but that's okay, right?': sick kid etiquette

We cannot place all children who are sick in a bubble till they recover, but we can give other parents a choice about exposing their kids to them.

Welcome to Winter

Now that the colder months are here, Essential Baby as all the information you need for staying healthy and happy during the chilly season.

Ada Nicodemou: 'I can never be completely happy again'

Home and Away actress Ada Nicodemou has opened up about the loss of her stillborn baby.

10 things to consider when you're thinking about trying for a baby

Before you start tracking your menstrual cycle and reading up on the best positions to get pregnant, there are a few other things you may want to consider.

How special surgery and IVF can create a post-vasectomy baby

Cricket legend Glenn McGrath and his second wife Sara are expecting their first child together, thanks to IVF and a delicate surgical sperm retrieval process that helped the couple to conceive.

Belle Gibson's mother 'disgusted and embarrassed'

The mother of disgraced wellness blogger Belle Gibson has accused her daughter of lying about her childhood in an attempt to garner public sympathy.

Doctor's mobile phone 'left inside c-section mum'

A new mum claims a doctor left his mobile phone inside her after delivering her baby via caesarean section.

I'm a mum and I'm following my dreams

I want my kids to know that no matter what happens in life, you can still be who it is that you've always wanted to be.

Those first daycare days

I had this innate 'mum' moment the other day.

'If one person had listened, my life would have been so different'

Katherine's father will die in prison for the horrifying sexual abuse of his daughter. Yet she is the one with the true life sentence.

This new plan undermines breastfeeding and baby health at everyone's expense

Mothers, babies, the health system and the wider society are going to pay the price of this new budget.

Couple to celebrate terminally ill baby's birthday in unique way

Baby Jai Bishop has lived at Starship Hospital for the past seven months, with his parents flying back and forth from Hokitika, 1100km away, to be by his side.

Life On Mars

It's men who need 'retraining', not women

We are all responsible for our own behaviour. Telling victims to harden up is wrong.

Baby Gammy's dad tries to claim charity money

The biological father of baby Gammy has reportedly tried to access charity money raised for the little boy's medical costs.

Where are the childcare places?

It?s all very well to encourage women to work if they choose to, but how can the measures lead to increased workforce participation when women are once again left holding the baby?

The pain of not having babies and not knowing why

After seven years of wishing, hoping, crying, punching pillows and shouting "why me?!", the end result is more than I ever thought possible.

Getting your family finances in order

Whether you're after a new car for a growing family, a bigger house, or are just fixing up your finances, here are the basics on borrowing.

Mum shares graphic selfie to warn against tanning

A mum has shared a graphic photo of her skin cancer treatment as a warning to others.

Does parenthood make us happier?

We can certainly gain higher levels of happiness when we become parents, but the trick is to not get overwhelmed by the pressures of raising our kids.

No, having a dog is not like having a human child

It's obvious these people dote on their pets, but they're barking up the wrong tree.

Top baby names

Baby Names

The numbers are in and we can now bring you the 2014 top baby name list for Australia.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.