All day morning sickness

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 angelinaballerina

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

I am 7.5 weeks pregnant. Currently I feel sick from when I wake up until around 4pm. I'm fine until about 7 when I have to lie down until I go to bed because I feel so ill.

I haven't thrown up, but feel like I need to constantly sad.gif I also get dizzy spells when I stand up from sitting or if I am walking around for too long.

I am drinking plenty of water (around 2-2.5l a day) and I manage to eat 2 small meals as well.

I have an appointment with my GP on Friday afternoon, but after a little advice as to whether or not it is worth asking for maxalon or something else that will make me feel better. I don't think I can go through at least the next 5 weeks of feeling this bad. It's already been 2 weeks. And although my son is at school and I am a stay at home mum I am feeling very lazy for not getting anything done around the house or being able to cook dinner sad.gif my husband is very supportive and has been picking up the slack after working a 10hour day as a tradie.

#2 Cat©

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

sad.gif This is what I had with all my pregnancies - I rarely vomited, maybe a few times over each entire pregnancy, but I was constantly feeling sick and dizzy. I *nearly* fainted constantly, and I did actually faint a few times. ICK

I used to find that a glass or milk or tea and a dry biscuit before I even sat upright in the morning helped a touch.

Really nothing much helped me, I have heard of others that I think took ?zinc or something similar that helped with the dizziness. Cant recall what it was exactly but perhaps someone here know.

Mine disapeared in the last 8 weeks of pregnancy but was constant for the first 32 weeks! (well pretty much within a week or so of conception! - it was the way I knew I was pregnant before testing!) lol

#3 Tommypops

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

It's hell and I know exactly how you feel but it will pass before you know it! I went to my Dr a few times (mainly to get Drs certificates when I had to take time out of work/study) and I don't think they will give you maxalon unless you're suffering from HG or something. Mine lasted all day too but was fortunately over by about 11.5 weeks (started gradually getting better at about 10 weeks or so). The only thing that made me feel better was fried chips (!), hopefully you will find a little something you can eat/drink/do which will get you through the next few weeks. And great you have a supportive hubby as well but I know what you mean about the guilt!

Hang in there!!

#4 Madnesscraves

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

You're definitely not eating enough. Morning sickness is 10 times worse if you don't eat constantly. I'd suggest snacking on nuts and fruits to keep MS at bay. Plain Potato chips was the one Thing that I could handle eating in the early days.

If that doesn't help, Maxalon is okay, but it made me incredibly tired in the afternoon and very emotional. Still didn't get rid of MS 100% I would still throw up every morning.

There is a stronger one called zofran but really expensive. I suspect GP won't hand that one out until you've tried Maxalon first.

I hope your MS Passes quckly. Mine went on until 28 weeks.

#5 Madnesscraves

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

Oh p.s try ginger beer. It was a godsend. It helped with MS hugely.

#6 Divine 35

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

Mine was very similar with DD, it really was awful.

Although, i threw up about once a week. I didn't take anything bar that, morning sickness formula by Blackmores but that baretly touched it.

I was also throwing up, till she was born rolleyes.gif

Agree with PP, constantly put things in your mouth. Be it minties,crackers,toast etc....

It really does help  original.gif

Edited by Divine53, 21 February 2012 - 08:31 PM.

#7 angelinaballerina

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

Thanks everyone.

Madnesscraves- I actually can't eat that much because I have a lap band. But I'm not hungry at all. And the things I do eat ,are me feel even worse. I force myself to eat those 2 small meals sad.gif

Hopefully it doesn't last too long.

#8 Madnesscraves

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

OP,

I'd definitely talk to your OB/GP about eating more. If you can only manage 2 small meals, you'll be exhausted as you get to later stages of pregnancy. The baby will be taking all that energy. Maybe they can recommend something to boost your energy levels and ensure both you and bubs get Thr nutrition you need

#9 JoMarch

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

Oh, OP I hope you feel better soon! I had similar MS in the first trimester, where I felt nauseated all day and only vomited maybe every second day & usually only once or twice.  The worst was feeling so lazy & lethargic!  Mine passed at about 11 weeks & I had sooo much more energy!  I did find small meals to be a godsend, even just a really small snack.  Bland foods were the go for me, crackers etc.  I work full time & found that when I took sick days (only ended up taking a couple), the lying around doing nothing actually made it worse, so trying to keep going with your normal routine may help (but everyone's different!).  Try to get out for some gentle exercise, fresh air would also help me.  All the best for a healthy pregnancy

#10 Bluenomi

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

Morning sickness is half the reason there is going to be a large age gap between my kids!

I was nauseous from 6 weeks until DD was born at 40+3 and throwing up most days until 18 weeks.

Ginger, morning sickness tablets, sea sickness bands all did nothing. Eating just before bed or first thing in the morning just made it worse. Excerise made me worse, heck just moving made it worse.

What did help was nibbling all day. I'd eat whatever I felt like and would stay down. Healthly eating went out the window as did pregnancy vitamins, I (and my OB) figured any calories were better than healthy food being thrown up. The only thing I could drink was ice cold milk, hot drinks and water made me so ill.

Not eating makde my light headedness worse, I passed out a few times due to that. I'd try and just nibble on things throughout the day if you can.

#11 CubaLulu

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

I'm in the middle of this now too. I'm 7.5 weeks as well and feel so sick I just want to curl in a little ball and cry! I've thrown up a few times, but mostly it's just a constant strong nauseous feeling. I described it to my husband as a really bad hangover that just doesn't ever go away!

I am still working out how to get by, but I have found that what the pp's have suggested really does work for me. Constant eating is the only thing getting me through! At least every 2 hours is necessary, but even a really small bite every hour helps (like a couple of dried apricots and three or 4 almonds). Then I'm having mini meals every couple of hours like one Vita Wheat Sandwich slice with cheese and tomato, or two weetbix with half a banana and milk... Just small things like that every two hours is making a huge difference for me. I still feel nauseous the whole time... But I can function and carry on working.

Best of luck, I hope you find what works for you.

Edited by CubaLulu, 22 February 2012 - 09:08 AM.

#12 KC-

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

I really feel for you. I didn't enjoy that stage at all. And eating anything when feeling nauseous is so counter intuitive. Healthy eating just really wasn't an option for me. Almond croissants became the only thing I could handle having in the morning to quell it for a little. That and loads of sleep! i found that I was throwing up or dry retching constantly at 9.30am every day. Luckily I have some flexibility in my work hours so just put back my start time to 10am and this definitely helped.
Also counterintuitively, my obs and nutritionist both recommended coming of the pregnancy vitamins for a while (and/or reducing to one with lower iron) to see if that helped reduce the nausea. I tried to balance this by making sure I had more milo and milk, which luckily was something I could handle at the stage. I can't say the nutritionist was overly happy with this choice, but I found that feeling like I was spoiling myself with what I was having, to counteract feeling so bad all the time, definitely helped my state of mind if nothing else!

Hope you start feeling better soon...

#13 Luci

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

OP I have had bad morning sickness with all 3 of my pregnancies, it is just terrible so I am very sympathetic.  Constant eating on bland foods helped me - I was always much worse if I hadn't eaten for a while. Ginger Beer and Lemonade were also great. You could also try peppermint tea, and sour type lollies.

You also may not be sick for ages - with all 3 of my children I started feeling sick at 6 weeks exactly, but started to get a bit better by about 9 weeks.

Best of luck, hope you are soon feeling better.

Luci

#14 angelinaballerina

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I was having a really bad day yesterday.

Today I felt sick in the morning but once I started doing things the sickness subsided a little. I managed to at least tidy up and do some grocery shopping.

I bought myself some electrolytes to boost up my energy and have been nibbling on crackers. Hopefully it will pass soon original.gif

#15 satie

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

I hope it passes for you, im 8 wks now with number 4 and with number 3 I had Hyperemesis and spent a lot of time in Hospital.. I really didnt find anything that helped to be honest, this time around I am pretty sick but nothing compared to last time !
Maxalon from the doc helped to some extent, but it made me very jittery and almost depressed. I googled this and apparently its a fairly common side effect.
Its such an awful feeling, my partner is so good and helps with everything but I feel so guilty for letting him do it all..
Good Luck ~

#16 MakesMeHappy

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

I am glad you feel a little better today.

I am currently 10 weeks pregnant and have had MS since 4 weeks. It has been mainly nausea this time for me with the odd vomiting. But with my DS I was vomiting from 4 weeks and was still vomiting during labour! Horrible!

I know most people say maxalon doesn't work and for me during my first pregnancy nothing did, including maxalon, but this pregnancy maxalon is doing a good job at keeping the nausea at bay. I was reluctant to try it again as it hadn't worked before but I thought what do I have to lose? And it give me pretty much instant relief, it didn't take MS away completely but enough for me to be able to function. Although I am extremely tired and from what I have read this could be the maxalon. But I will take sleepy over sick 😊.

Also zafron (I get the generic version can't remember the name but it is long and starts with an 'O') is magic it makes me feel completely normal!! But as others have said it is a bit expensive. But not as bad as I thought. I paid $52 for 10 tablets from chemist warehouse. And for me they are worth it but I only use them if I HAVE to but I think it is worth getting a prescription if you can just for the days that you can't afford to be sick.

I hope your MS just gets better from here

#17 Teds

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

I had all day sickness from five weeks for the first trimester.  YES the doctor can give you pills to stop it.  Mine did.  I can't remember the name sorry.  It is an anti nausea pill they give to people after surgery etc.  Although I had to beg a little and the doctor treated me a bit like I was trying to poison my baby.  The pharmacist however, was great and said the pills are fine and really well tolerated by Mum's and baby.  

Why we have to "put up" just because we are pregnant is beyond me.  Mum took anti nausea pills with my two sisters are they are just fine.  And that was over thirty years ago.

#18 loz6190

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

I am just over 6 weeks and have had m/s since 4 weeks but the last 5 days have ben horrendous, vomitting the minute im out of bed in the morning and atleast hourly until 5pm when it seems to settle a bit. I still have my apetite so am eating lots. Dr gave me script for maxalon which isnt working so wrote script for zofran (ondansetron) today. Fingers crossed this helps, I am at my wits end. I need to get back to work!

Hope the others are starting to feel better!

#19 loz6190

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

Its funny you say that living-in-the-now, I was going to ask about accupuncture but forgot. How long does it take to take affect and did you have to keep going? Anyone else out there tried it?

Edited by loz6190, 22 February 2012 - 08:18 PM.

#20 jess1980

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

I'm onto my 3rd pregnancy and my 3rd lost of all day sickness, vomitting day and night I am so over it. I finally have an appt with the obgyn that took 3 weeks to get! So hopefully I can get something for it cause I can't go on like I am! Bit I definately try accupunture I've tried the seabands during my last 2 pregnancies but as I don't want everyone to know I'm pregnant yet I can't really wear them

#21 MakesMeHappy

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

Have many of you lovely ladies found the sea bands to work?
I am willing to give anything a go.

Can you buy them from the chemist? Or do you have to get them online?

#22 Lightning_bug

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

OP, look at getting your band loosened.  If you don't you may end up with further problems - namely severe heart burn.  Rising stomach acid can create complications further down the line.  This is one of the reasons the band is so good.  It's adapable.

You need to eat more.  

Also speak with your GP about anti-nausea medication if it's going to help you eat more.

Edited by Lightning_bug, 23 February 2012 - 10:35 PM.

#23 ifaith17

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

Oh, I sympathise, OP. I had horrid vomitting morning sickness for 5.5 months with my son. I hardly ate for the first two and spent much of the time in bed.

If you can, hire some help once a fortnight or even see if your mum or a close friend could give you a hand/do for you a freezer full of meals?

Hang in there - it does pass.

For me also, snacking on dry cereal throughout the day once I could eat again - like nutragrain or gluten free cereals helped - as also did drinking water with lemon juice - the colder the better.

#24 aprilrain

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

I just got the bands from the local chemists. I also found that I craved ripe pawpaw, which helped with the nausea. I've since found out that it's good for the digestion or such.

4 babies - 9mths of morning, noon and evening sickness mad.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The mum who never met her baby

There was one more thing Kymberlie Shepherd wanted to experience in life - motherhood. But a rare illness took her first.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.