The Rudd Challenge
WDYT?

• Please log in to reply
785 replies to this topic

#1 Queen Yoda

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

Obviously something is going to happen, probably in the next week or so.  

Options
(a) Rudd forces a no-confidence vote against Gillard
(b) Gillard hold a leadership ballot
(c ) Gillard sacks Rudd from front bench (citing disloyalty)

Either way, it's going to be messy and does nothing for the government.  While this remains at the forefront of news reports and is on people's lips, it prevents the government from focussing on policy and governing.

Tony Abbott must be loving this!

Momentum swing?

Crean calls for Rudd to put up or shut up

Leadership speculation by Annabel Crabb
She thinks he shouldn't be prime minister because he's nuts. He thinks she shouldn't be prime minister because she's hopeless. And that's about the size of it. Caucus members now arrange themselves into Team Bloodnut and Team Bowlcut, driven by nothing except the clinical extent of their own despair.

roll2.gif

Rudd shuts up after declaring he's a changed man

Only Kevin can stop Kevin now

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 20 February 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#2 Colleer

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

I agree, Tony Abbott must be laughing and just rubbing his hands together with glee.

#3 Liadan

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

The scariest part, is that this means that Tony Abbott might actually win the next election.

I have a lot of friends who are Liberal voters, they voted Labor at the last election because Abbott is the Liberal leader. They would have voted libs if anyone BUT Abbott had been the leader.

#4 geckosrule

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

Gillard or Rudd?

Who cares!

Same Party
Same policies
Same broken promises
Same incompetencies
Same minority government

I'm sick of this smoke and mirrors that takes attention away from the important issues.

#5 BetteBoop

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (2handsdon'tspillit @ 20/02/2012, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that the party must think that thay are operating in a vacuum and that no-one is watching.  It's embarrassing.

Yes. A party that's plagued by in-fighting and leadership dramas does nothing to inspire confidence in their ability to run a country.

Any extra votes they might pick up for having Rudd at the helm would be negated by the voters not prepared to vote for a party when they don't know who the leader will be next week, let alone next year.

Still, fascinating times ahead.

#6 Jupiter123

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

It really is a sad state of affairs when even our government can't keep it together and then successfully make themselves look like clowns in a sideshow alley.

I think replacing the entire labor government with mums and dads from EB would be a good start to fixing this joke that is the labor government.... now who wants to be Prime Minister  laughing2.gif

#7 Guest_Telmatiaeos_*

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

I think that it's about the only thing that Labor can try right now in an attempt to be re-elected.  Gillard did the hard work.  He can come in now and try to make things all ok again in the eyes of the electorate.  I don't think it will work, but can understand why they'd try.  I don't think there is any chance that Labor would get back in with Gillard leading.  I think she's had a very bad time by the media.  If you actually look at what she has done, in very difficult circumstances and actually listen to what she says, I think she's a good leader.  TBH I just don't think that Australia was ready for a female PM.  Unfortunately.

I must say though that I've been really disappointed by some of this government's environmental decisions.  But then the alternative is worse.

#8 Guest_GreyMatter_*

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

It's comical.  I'm finding it quite entertaining to watch the labor party implode.  I am wondering and slightly concerned about whether there is any actual "governing" going on, but we've not seen any real evidence of that before this anyway.

TBH I just don't think that Australia was ready for a female PM. Unfortunately.

I don't think its got anything to do with Australia not being ready for a female PM - she's just a bad leader.

#9 Floral Arrangement

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

I love it, Rudd is being disloyal unlike Gillard who ousted the leader of her party and the country and became Prime Minister in the most embarrassing manner.

#10 Feraldadathome

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

Under Rudd, Labor had been backflipping on hard choices for months, and hadn't been able to (still can't) sell the success of its economic measures during the GFC. I don't see that Rudd would have done any better at the last election than Gillard, but at least Labor under Gillard has pushed through a number of solid policies.

I agree with the view that a vote is needed or Rudd needs to just walk away. The ongoing leadership sniping is simply destabalising a government which is much better than anything the opposition is putting forward, especially with oppositions new "when the surplus is big enough" get out of jail card.

Bring on the spill and let that be the end of it!!!!

#11 Velociraptor

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

I think this whole scandal has been almost exclusively driven by the media. I really wish they'd just stop picking at political scabs.

#12 ali27

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

It is a huge embarrassment both domestically and internationally. Surely this could be resolved and the party present a united front. I'm sure the media is also enjoying fueling the fire.

#13 HeroOfCanton

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (Serendipaceratops @ 20/02/2012, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think this whole scandal has been almost exclusively driven by the media. I really wish they'd just stop picking at political scabs.

This.
I wish there was some quality journalism in this country

#14 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

It's a joke and they need to sort it out. They dump Rudd when he was popular and doing well in the poles. It was a huge mistake and they are paying for it.

I don't think its got anything to do with Australia not being ready for a female PM - she's just a bad leader.

Agree. Nothing to do with being female.. she is a terrible leader.

The scariest part, is that this means that Tony Abbott might actually win the next election.

The other side is not looking good ether. They can't even decided who the leader of the party is so how can they run the country.

#15 Feraldadathome

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (Princess.cranky.pants @ 20/02/2012, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They dump Rudd when he was popular and doing well in the poles.

His polling had been declining for months, not helped by the policy backflips. The Opposition really screwed him over too by stabbing Turnbull in the back on a single vote and dumping its long-term support for an emissions trading scheme.

#16 Guest_Telmatiaeos_*

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

The other side is not looking good ether. They can't even decided who the leader of the party is so how can they run the country.

Yeh, but the Libs have decided that they want Tony Abbott to run the country.   sick.gif  And they're serious.

This man:

http://polliepomes.files.wordpress.com/201...money-gina2.jpg

#17 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

I think it needs sorting and ending if there's any hope of them retaining half their seats at the next election.

I'm also in the "terrified of Abbott" camp. He's too scary domestically but internationally it'd be like having Prince Phillip as good will diplomat with views so conservative he makes George W look like a hippy. I wish someone decent would lead either party. Or more people would vote Green and Bob could be PM biggrin.gif

It should be an interesting week in politics though.

#18 His Boy Elroy

While I am a loyal liberal supporter, I would rather stab myself in the eye with a butter knife than have that Abbott snake become PM......

Where's Joe Hockey when you need him???

#19 71Cath

QUOTE (Serendipaceratops @ 20/02/2012, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said

#20 Guest_Telmatiaeos_*

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

views so conservative he makes George W look like a hippy.

Snort.   laugh.gif

#21 tel2

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

Julia should've NOT put him in her cabinet. Stupid woman should've just let him go. I said to my DH when this all occured having KRudd around is a bad move  and will eventually come and bite her in the butt - looks like it might happen soon  original.gif  

#22 Feraldadathome

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE (His Boy Elroy @ 20/02/2012, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where's Joe Hockey when you need him???

Out trying to capture this guy to pay for their promises

Although, if people are tricked by "when the surplus is big enough" they may never have to deliver on any promises!

#23 71Cath

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (tel2 @ 20/02/2012, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Julia should've NOT put him in her cabinet. Stupid woman should've just let him go. I said to my DH when this all occured having KRudd around is a bad move  and will eventually come and bite her in the butt - looks like it might happen soon  original.gif

But if she left him on the back bench it just gives him more time to plot her downfall  cool.gif  At least as Foreign Minister he is out of the country a lot  laugh.gif

#24 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

His polling had been declining for months, not helped by the policy backflips.

Declining yes but Gillard's is much lower now than Rudd was when they gave him to boot. It was dirty politics and it's coming back to haunt them now... and I am not a fan of Rudd.

Would have been interesting to see how his popularity would have fared if they have of kept him in. Maybe they would have won the election with a bigger margin and didn't needed the support of the independents.. which has created a lot of mess.

#25 Frockme

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

I won't be voting for Tony Abbott i'll be voting for the liberal party.  wink.gif And I'll be hoping like hell he's replaced ASAP!!

I don't think this is a media beat up as was said earlier. I think rumors start somewhere, and ones like this are no doubt founded on some truth.
Should be an interesting week, next week.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

What you need to know about pregnancy and health insurance

It's not just waiting periods that couples need to consider - there are other factors to consider when thinking about health insurance.

Yummy mummy

Nicole Trunfio breastfeeds baby on Elle magazine cover

Australian model Nicole Trunfio has taken the concept of multitasking to a fashionable new level for Elle Australia.

Warnings after baby girl died while sleeping in bouncer

Parents have been warned about the dangers of letting babies sleep in bouncers and swings following the death of a three-month-old girl.

Coping with fatigue as a parent

Sleep deprivation is a real hazard of caring for a baby. But there are ways to manage the challenges of fatigue better.

A very 21st century issue: parents, parks and smart phones

It's not all the parents, and it's not all the time, but there is often at least one doing it. And sometimes, that 'one' is me.

Appliances

Faulty washing machines linked to house fires

More than 80,000 faulty Samsung washing machines pose a fire threat in homes throughout Australia despite a nationwide recall of the machines.

'I had a lotus birth and I loved it'

Lotus birthing is not all that common, but for a number of women it feels like the most natural thing to do.

7 things you might not know about postnatal depression

Despite its widespread nature, there is still a great amount of mystery surrounding PND - and it's important to try unravelling as much of that as we can.

Is your family's car part of the world's biggest safety recall?

More than 50 million vehicles recalled for potentially lethal airbag fault - is your car affected?

Why drinking water can be deadly for babies

H2O is one of the necessities of life, but for babies a seemingly harmless amount of water can be fatal.

Mother-in-law faceplants during proposal

He had it all planned: a romantic proposal on a windswept beach. The whole family would be there so they'd all be able to celebrate the joyous moment together.

A preschooler suddenly goes mute - and it's not just shyness

When our son stopped talking, our sense of loss was painful and acute.

The mums who ask for a 'wife bonus'

They run their homes like domestic CEOs and work tirelessly to improve their family's social standing. And now, according to a new book, they want an annual perk from their husbands.

Woman shares photo of dimple on breast to warn others of cancer risk

A widely-shared Facebook photograph of a British woman's breast has raised awareness of a more subtle breast cancer symptom.

Starting a family despite a low sperm count

"I'd never really failed a test - how could I fail this particularly manly test?"

It's official: we must better protect our kids from toxic lead exposure

New guidelines have been released, aimed at reducing children's harmful exposure to lead. But they still don't go far enough.

Trouble-shooting toddler social skills

Chances are your toddler's behaviour is all completely normal - but here's how to tackle some common social problems.

Helping your first-born welcome a sibling

We did sigh with joy at the arrival of a royal princess - but, mostly, we sighed with pity at the sight of Prince George being taken to meet her.

Farewell, daytime nap

I've been in denial and I'm not too proud to beg, but it appears I must accept the fact that you have gone. I need to let you go.

The identical triplets who are one in 50 million

The father of identical triplets born in a Texas hospital says his three daughters, including conjoined twins, are "a miracle" sent by God.

Seven questions you should be asking about your health cover

If the last time you assessed your health cover was five years ago, there?s a chance it may no longer suit your needs. To ensure it?s still right for your family, click here for seven questions to ask.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

How to use gas effectively in labour

Many women in labour don't use gas effectively and suffer more side effects than benefits. Here's how to get the most out of this pain relief option.

'He has gastro but that's okay, right?': sick kid etiquette

We cannot place all children who are sick in a bubble till they recover, but we can give other parents a choice about exposing their kids to them.

Ada Nicodemou: 'I can never be completely happy again'

Home and Away actress Ada Nicodemou has opened up about the loss of her stillborn baby.

10 things to consider when you're thinking about trying for a baby

Before you start tracking your menstrual cycle and reading up on the best positions to get pregnant, there are a few other things you may want to consider.

How special surgery and IVF can create a post-vasectomy baby

Cricket legend Glenn McGrath and his second wife Sara are expecting their first child together, thanks to IVF and a delicate surgical sperm retrieval process that helped the couple to conceive.

Belle Gibson's mother 'disgusted and embarrassed'

The mother of disgraced wellness blogger Belle Gibson has accused her daughter of lying about her childhood in an attempt to garner public sympathy.

Doctor's mobile phone 'left inside c-section mum'

A new mum claims a doctor left his mobile phone inside her after delivering her baby via caesarean section.

I'm a mum and I'm following my dreams

I want my kids to know that no matter what happens in life, you can still be who it is that you've always wanted to be.

Those first daycare days

I had this innate 'mum' moment the other day.

'If one person had listened, my life would have been so different'

Katherine's father will die in prison for the horrifying sexual abuse of his daughter. Yet she is the one with the true life sentence.

This new plan undermines breastfeeding and baby health at everyone's expense

Mothers, babies, the health system and the wider society are going to pay the price of this new budget.

Couple to celebrate terminally ill baby's birthday in unique way

Baby Jai Bishop has lived at Starship Hospital for the past seven months, with his parents flying back and forth from Hokitika, 1100km away, to be by his side.

Life On Mars

It's men who need 'retraining', not women

We are all responsible for our own behaviour. Telling victims to harden up is wrong.

Baby Gammy's dad tries to claim charity money

The biological father of baby Gammy has reportedly tried to access charity money raised for the little boy's medical costs.

Where are the childcare places?

It?s all very well to encourage women to work if they choose to, but how can the measures lead to increased workforce participation when women are once again left holding the baby?

The pain of not having babies and not knowing why

After seven years of wishing, hoping, crying, punching pillows and shouting "why me?!", the end result is more than I ever thought possible.

Getting your family finances in order

Whether you're after a new car for a growing family, a bigger house, or are just fixing up your finances, here are the basics on borrowing.

Mum shares graphic selfie to warn against tanning

A mum has shared a graphic photo of her skin cancer treatment as a warning to others.

Does parenthood make us happier?

We can certainly gain higher levels of happiness when we become parents, but the trick is to not get overwhelmed by the pressures of raising our kids.

No, having a dog is not like having a human child

It's obvious these people dote on their pets, but they're barking up the wrong tree.

Top baby names

Baby Names

The numbers are in and we can now bring you the 2014 top baby name list for Australia.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.