The Rudd Challenge
WDYT?

• Please log in to reply
805 replies to this topic

#1 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

Obviously something is going to happen, probably in the next week or so.  

Options
(a) Rudd forces a no-confidence vote against Gillard
(b) Gillard hold a leadership ballot
(c ) Gillard sacks Rudd from front bench (citing disloyalty)

Either way, it's going to be messy and does nothing for the government.  While this remains at the forefront of news reports and is on people's lips, it prevents the government from focussing on policy and governing.

Tony Abbott must be loving this!

Momentum swing?

Crean calls for Rudd to put up or shut up

Leadership speculation by Annabel Crabb
She thinks he shouldn't be prime minister because he's nuts. He thinks she shouldn't be prime minister because she's hopeless. And that's about the size of it. Caucus members now arrange themselves into Team Bloodnut and Team Bowlcut, driven by nothing except the clinical extent of their own despair.

roll2.gif

Rudd shuts up after declaring he's a changed man

Only Kevin can stop Kevin now

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 20 February 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#2 Colleer

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

I agree, Tony Abbott must be laughing and just rubbing his hands together with glee.

#3 Liadan

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

The scariest part, is that this means that Tony Abbott might actually win the next election.

I have a lot of friends who are Liberal voters, they voted Labor at the last election because Abbott is the Liberal leader. They would have voted libs if anyone BUT Abbott had been the leader.

#4 geckosrule

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

Gillard or Rudd?

Who cares!

Same Party
Same policies
Same broken promises
Same incompetencies
Same minority government

I'm sick of this smoke and mirrors that takes attention away from the important issues.

#5 BetteBoop

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (2handsdon'tspillit @ 20/02/2012, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that the party must think that thay are operating in a vacuum and that no-one is watching.  It's embarrassing.

Yes. A party that's plagued by in-fighting and leadership dramas does nothing to inspire confidence in their ability to run a country.

Any extra votes they might pick up for having Rudd at the helm would be negated by the voters not prepared to vote for a party when they don't know who the leader will be next week, let alone next year.

Still, fascinating times ahead.

#6 Jupiter123

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

It really is a sad state of affairs when even our government can't keep it together and then successfully make themselves look like clowns in a sideshow alley.

I think replacing the entire labor government with mums and dads from EB would be a good start to fixing this joke that is the labor government.... now who wants to be Prime Minister  laughing2.gif

#7 Guest_Telmatiaeos_*

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

I think that it's about the only thing that Labor can try right now in an attempt to be re-elected.  Gillard did the hard work.  He can come in now and try to make things all ok again in the eyes of the electorate.  I don't think it will work, but can understand why they'd try.  I don't think there is any chance that Labor would get back in with Gillard leading.  I think she's had a very bad time by the media.  If you actually look at what she has done, in very difficult circumstances and actually listen to what she says, I think she's a good leader.  TBH I just don't think that Australia was ready for a female PM.  Unfortunately.

I must say though that I've been really disappointed by some of this government's environmental decisions.  But then the alternative is worse.

#8 Guest_GreyMatter_*

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

It's comical.  I'm finding it quite entertaining to watch the labor party implode.  I am wondering and slightly concerned about whether there is any actual "governing" going on, but we've not seen any real evidence of that before this anyway.

TBH I just don't think that Australia was ready for a female PM. Unfortunately.

I don't think its got anything to do with Australia not being ready for a female PM - she's just a bad leader.

#9 Floral Arrangement

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

I love it, Rudd is being disloyal unlike Gillard who ousted the leader of her party and the country and became Prime Minister in the most embarrassing manner.

#10 Feraldadathome

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

Under Rudd, Labor had been backflipping on hard choices for months, and hadn't been able to (still can't) sell the success of its economic measures during the GFC. I don't see that Rudd would have done any better at the last election than Gillard, but at least Labor under Gillard has pushed through a number of solid policies.

I agree with the view that a vote is needed or Rudd needs to just walk away. The ongoing leadership sniping is simply destabalising a government which is much better than anything the opposition is putting forward, especially with oppositions new "when the surplus is big enough" get out of jail card.

Bring on the spill and let that be the end of it!!!!

#11 Velociraptor

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

I think this whole scandal has been almost exclusively driven by the media. I really wish they'd just stop picking at political scabs.

#12 ali27

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

It is a huge embarrassment both domestically and internationally. Surely this could be resolved and the party present a united front. I'm sure the media is also enjoying fueling the fire.

#13 HeroOfCanton

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (Serendipaceratops @ 20/02/2012, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think this whole scandal has been almost exclusively driven by the media. I really wish they'd just stop picking at political scabs.

This.
I wish there was some quality journalism in this country

#14 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

It's a joke and they need to sort it out. They dump Rudd when he was popular and doing well in the poles. It was a huge mistake and they are paying for it.

I don't think its got anything to do with Australia not being ready for a female PM - she's just a bad leader.

Agree. Nothing to do with being female.. she is a terrible leader.

The scariest part, is that this means that Tony Abbott might actually win the next election.

The other side is not looking good ether. They can't even decided who the leader of the party is so how can they run the country.

#15 Feraldadathome

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (Princess.cranky.pants @ 20/02/2012, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They dump Rudd when he was popular and doing well in the poles.

His polling had been declining for months, not helped by the policy backflips. The Opposition really screwed him over too by stabbing Turnbull in the back on a single vote and dumping its long-term support for an emissions trading scheme.

#16 Guest_Telmatiaeos_*

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

The other side is not looking good ether. They can't even decided who the leader of the party is so how can they run the country.

Yeh, but the Libs have decided that they want Tony Abbott to run the country.   sick.gif  And they're serious.

This man:

http://polliepomes.files.wordpress.com/201...money-gina2.jpg

#17 Feral Dinosaurus

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

I think it needs sorting and ending if there's any hope of them retaining half their seats at the next election.

I'm also in the "terrified of Abbott" camp. He's too scary domestically but internationally it'd be like having Prince Phillip as good will diplomat with views so conservative he makes George W look like a hippy. I wish someone decent would lead either party. Or more people would vote Green and Bob could be PM biggrin.gif

It should be an interesting week in politics though.

#18 His Boy Elroy

While I am a loyal liberal supporter, I would rather stab myself in the eye with a butter knife than have that Abbott snake become PM......

Where's Joe Hockey when you need him???

#19 71Cath

QUOTE (Serendipaceratops @ 20/02/2012, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said

#20 Guest_Telmatiaeos_*

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

views so conservative he makes George W look like a hippy.

Snort.   laugh.gif

#21 tel2

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

Julia should've NOT put him in her cabinet. Stupid woman should've just let him go. I said to my DH when this all occured having KRudd around is a bad move  and will eventually come and bite her in the butt - looks like it might happen soon  original.gif  

#22 Feraldadathome

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE (His Boy Elroy @ 20/02/2012, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where's Joe Hockey when you need him???

Out trying to capture this guy to pay for their promises

Although, if people are tricked by "when the surplus is big enough" they may never have to deliver on any promises!

#23 71Cath

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (tel2 @ 20/02/2012, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Julia should've NOT put him in her cabinet. Stupid woman should've just let him go. I said to my DH when this all occured having KRudd around is a bad move  and will eventually come and bite her in the butt - looks like it might happen soon  original.gif

But if she left him on the back bench it just gives him more time to plot her downfall  cool.gif  At least as Foreign Minister he is out of the country a lot  laugh.gif

#24 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

His polling had been declining for months, not helped by the policy backflips.

Declining yes but Gillard's is much lower now than Rudd was when they gave him to boot. It was dirty politics and it's coming back to haunt them now... and I am not a fan of Rudd.

Would have been interesting to see how his popularity would have fared if they have of kept him in. Maybe they would have won the election with a bigger margin and didn't needed the support of the independents.. which has created a lot of mess.

#25 Frockme

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

I won't be voting for Tony Abbott i'll be voting for the liberal party.  wink.gif And I'll be hoping like hell he's replaced ASAP!!

I don't think this is a media beat up as was said earlier. I think rumors start somewhere, and ones like this are no doubt founded on some truth.
Should be an interesting week, next week.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.