What did your grandparents do for a living?
Who has the most interesting occupations to share

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#1 Balto1

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

Continuing on the grandparents theme.... Let's see whose GPs had the most interesting occupation. Any mercenaries, silent screen actors, ladies of the night out there, etc etc .

Maternal GPs- wheat farmers
Paternal GPs- beef farmers

I don't think mine are going to win in the interesting stakes. But they had hard-working but happy lives.

#2 PixieVee

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

On the maternal side my grandfather was an engineer and my grandmother never worked.

On the paternal side I have no idea, they died 20 or more years before I was born and my dad doesn't really talk about them.

#3 Angelot

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

My maternal grandfather ran a sugar estate (his wife didn't work).

My paternal grandfather did a variety of things, including being a boilermaker in the merchant navy, and a lighthouse keeper.  His wife was a nurse.

#4 ubermum

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

My maternal grandmother was a seamstress. One of her jobs was sewing shrouds for funerals. She also worked in a brewery for a long time.
My maternal grandfather was a carpenter and joiner.
My paternal grandparents were dairy farmers.

#5 haras1972

my dad's parents owned a general store in the middle of nowhere in Gippsland.

my mum's parents - my grandmother didn't work, and my grandpa was a tram driver.

#6 Elemenopee

At 5 foot and a 1/4 inch, my grandpa did very well as a jockey. Later, after he had been to WW2, he worked the family farm, and would break in the wild horses that roamed it.

#7 Chelara

Mums dad, jeweller and watchmaker. Mums mum, hairdresser. Bth had their own businesses and 5 kids including twins.

Dads family were farmers, orchard I think. 9 children.

#8 rainycat

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:26 AM

My Grandad ran a foundry.  My Grandma didn't work.

#9 geckosrule

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

Paternal grandfather.........cattle farmer
Paternal grandmother........ran the household and did all the accounts for the farm

Maternal grandfather.......bookie
Maternal grandmother......corner shop owner

#10 Carmen02

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

my grandpa worked for the council doing odd jobs like lawn mowing and all that, my grandma didnt work...my grandparents on dads side never knew them

#11 ubermum

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (PixieVee @ 20/02/2012, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the maternal side ......my grandmother never worked.

QUOTE (Ange Vert @ 20/02/2012, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My maternal grandfather ran a sugar estate (his wife didn't work).

I bet that both of those women worked their butts off....they just didn't get paid a wage for it. I would have hated to have run a household 50 odd years ago.

#12 Bel Rowley

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

Paternal grandfather - Scientist
Paternal grandmother - Did some secretarial and seamstress work but mostly didn't work
Maternal grandfather - Left school at 15, worked at various jobs and ended up an executive at the Sunraysia Fruit Co-op. Also a real estate valuer.
Maternal grandmother - 'Bursar' at a high school for close to 40 years.

#13 Guest_Craptacular_*

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:32 AM

Paternal grandmother - SAHM (she raised 4 boys)
Paternal grandfather - Police officer
Maternal grandmother - worked in a shop possibly a post office
Maternal grandfather - I think he worked in a factory.

#14 Iliketoflounce

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

Maternal GP, grandad worked in meat works then an ambo in myrtleford then when he moved to wangratta he was a milkman my nan didn't work

my paternal GP, im not sure about my dads dad all i know he died by electrocution (suicide) my nan was a seamstress

#15 la di dah

Maternal, my grandmother was a professional bra fitter and saleswoman in a corset shop. My grandfather was a contractor,  and sometimes a cabbie. He was a contractor when I knew him, he was very good at sketching designs and I remember vividly when I was 2, he would tell me stories and sketch the illustrations as he went. He also drove a big red pickup with ladders on it, and I was allowed to ride in it, which I assure you was a Big Deal to a toddler.

As a cabbie, he had to carry a gun, his favourite client was Andre the Giant, he disparaged a famous musician as "the rude sort of b**ch that eats fried chicken in someone else's car" and once sheared everything from the bottom of the windshield up off a big old fashioned Checker Cab, but lived.

He was always angry he turned 17 right as WWII ended so he didn't get to enlist but his older brother did.

Paternal, my grandfather owned a gas station and auto parts store, and my grandmother kept the books. She also was very shy about being seen as working, though she was, because she was a bit sensitive about class distinctions, but my dad said "for the bookkeeper, she sure drove a lot of trucks."

Edited by la di dah, 20 February 2012 - 09:43 AM.

#16 kadoodle

Maternal grandfather was a spy in WW2.  He had a hollow tooth with cyanide in it and wasn't to be taken alive.  When the war ended he worked as a diplomat before retiring to be a boilermaker and train driver.  

Maternal grandmother didn't do paid work.

Paternal grandfather was given a "soldier settlement farm" after returning from WW2.  

Maternal grandmother was a seamstress before retiring to run the farm due to my grandfather's ill health.

#17 FeralFerretOfDoom

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

My maternal grandfather was a scientist and my grandmother was a nurse and ambulance driver (in the war).

My paternal grandfather worked in the railways and my grandmother worked in the post office before she married him (had to resign once she married).

However, BEFORE he got respectable and married my grandmother, my paternal grandfather teamed up with his brother as a duo of roving magicians/conmen in Africa, playing mainly on the naivite of the native population.

ETA - damn you, kadoodle. I'm pretty sure I would have been the winner so far if you hadn't jumped in while I was posting with your James Bond grandfather. Show off.

Edited by RootFerretOfDoom, 20 February 2012 - 09:38 AM.

#18 Unatheowl

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

Maternal grandmother was a fashion model before the war in Austria.  When they came to Australia she didn't work.  My maternal grandfather was a glazier.

My paternal grandmother didn't work.  My paternal grandfather started out as a Jesuit priest, then joined the polish army and was present at the Warsaw uprising.  They came to Australia and he practiced as a seventh day Adventist minister until he died.

#19 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

Peternal Grandfather - worked in a truck yard, used to drive trucks but was deaf in one ear then lost sight in one eye so couldn't drive any more.
Paternal Grandmother - seamstress and other random odd jobs to keep everyone afloat. Had an enviable vegie garden & fruit trees biggrin.gif

Maternal Grandparents - dairy farmers. Before that my grandfather was in the New Zealand Merchant Navy then managed someone else's property before buying their own farm. After selling the farm in semi retirement in the 60's he built one of the first blocks of flats (Ocean Front) on the main beach front at Forster NSW, it's the oldest original building still there.

#20 Feral timtam

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

Paternal grandparents were boring, he ran the family trucking and crane business and she did the book keeping.

Maternal grandparents were Jacks of all trades! Granddad was a stockman, did a stint as a truck driver and as a mechanic, they also had a dairy farm at one, ran a petrol station and a fish and chips shop as well. The only time my very progressive grandmother was not working was when Granddad was doing the truck driving and mechanics work. Otherwise she was working right along side him and pulling a wage for her efforts.

#21 Roselet

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

Paternal GF was a tradesman in a factory, until he lost his arm in an accident. When he couldn't work GM supported the family running a family day care and cleaning. After he died she moved to Aus and worked well into retirement age as a carer.

Maternal GF was a school teacher - posibly maths but i'm not sure, and then he ran the school during the war. GM was a French teacher, even went and lived in a garret in France on her own to attend the Sorbonne. Very well educated lady for her time (she was born at the turn of the century).

#22 IsolaBella

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

MGF - Stone Mason... continued working into his 80's
MGM - Farm/General Store
PGF - University Science Lecturer
PGM - Nurse (She became a widow with an 18mo and 3yo to support)

#23 amabanana

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

ME
Paternal grandfather.........Engineer, ran a munitions factory during the war.  
Paternal grandmother........Seamstress

Maternal grandfather....... Train driver
Maternal grandmother......Shoemaker

DH
Paternal grandfather.........Stationmaster at London's Kings Cross
Paternal grandmother........SAHM

Maternal grandfather....... Aeronautical Engineer
Maternal grandmother......Property developer

#24 toosenuf

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

My Pop worked for Akubra Hats, Gran, i am not sure if she worked.
My mothers parents, dont think they worked at all  or it could be that i cannot remember being told what they did.

Both of DH's grandfathers were builders and lol DH is not at all a handyman.  Again not sure about his grandmothers'.

Edited by toosenuf, 20 February 2012 - 09:51 AM.

#25 I*Love*Christmas

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

Maternal side:
Grandfather - electrician
Grandmother - didn't work when her kids were young but started working as a receptionist at a doctors surgery and then later in a call centre for Boystown

Paternal side:
Grandfather - farmer
Grandmother - primary school teacher.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.