Due 1st - 15th Feb, 2012 #10

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#51 Molokai

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

Hard to type on iPhone one handed, I'm still here reading but not posting much. No new news from us, had mothers group which was nice, lots of cute babies in a big group (25 or so) and Archer did a big wet fart that went for ages, in front of everyone, they all heard an laughed. Charming child.

I've posted in the Parents Group but that thread and this one are both equally slow-moving.

I've got to hand it to you mums with 3 kids, or even 2, I can't get anything done with Archer some days, not even showering or getting dinner organized. How you manage with the baby AND other kids, getting them dressed and fed and off to school etc is beyond me, I must be doing something wrong! Some days it's 8 hours in the couch with him laying on me either feeding or sleeping, I barely get a chance to make a bowl of cereal!

My two best girlfriends from Perth are coming to Sydney to visit next weekend, very excited to see them and show them Archer and get expert mummy advice, they each have 3 kids.

Ok time to burp and put back to bed.

Hope everyone's getting sleep and babies are thriving original.gif

#52 ReadySetRace

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

It's all practice Molokai, you'll get there too. Dinner is often from the freezer, the shower just before I go to bed at night, and ABC2 is a good distraction for the toddlers wink.gif

Sage is recovering from her first cold, and had her worst irritable period ever tonight, luckily it ended early. I had a work lunch today and she was very good.

#53 Molokai

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

Poor Sage, I hope she's feeling better. Must be heartbreaking to see the little one struggling to breathe. Good to hear she was ok for the work lunch.

#54 ReadySetRace

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

You must do a midnight feed each day Molokai??  By the times you post.

Her nose is almost clear today, survived her first illness. DH is away and it is busy here!! Never realized how loud toddlers were until I tried to settle a baby in the same house.

#55 petermarr

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

I'm sure he is back would be just about back to his birth weight by now too.

#56 Molokai

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (doctorseuss @ 18/03/2012, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You must do a midnight feed each day Molokai??  By the times you post.

Pretty much, usually 10pm-ish then 1am or so, then 4am. But last night I fed him at 6pm and he didn't wake up until midnight - wish that his long sleep was from midnight! Oh well. I'm used to it now. I have lots of iPhone apps and games and books to keep me entertained during night feeds original.gif

Glad Sage is better. Does she sleep longer hours than Archer?

#57 ReadySetRace

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

About the same. She has done a couple of 6-6.5 hour sleeps, goes down at 8pm (sometimes), wakes 2ish then 6am without fail - wish it was 7am!! Then 3-4 hourly during the day. She's growing well. But tonight has woken at 9pm, don't know what that is about. Maybe the 6 week growth spurt is causing her to be hungry and want more feeds? She's draining both sides and wanting more, my nipples are getting sore again.

I'm stil just so besotted and enjoying this newborn period sp much more than the previous two, she is so much easier to settle.  

Anyone done expressing and giving baby a bottle? I'm going to try again this week to have her take a bottle, she wouldn't last week.

#58 Molokai

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

I express and give bottles occasionally, like today when I had a hairdressers appointment - left Archer home with DH and two bottles of EBM. Archer doesn't care of its bottle or boob, as long as its food! But I've been expressing and giving bottles since the early days, when he was newborn he wouldn't latch on so I was giving him EBM bottles every feed, it was the only way he could get the milk.

I would love if he slept 8pm to 2am! He's up now at 11 which means he will also be up at 2am then 5 am sad.gif

Efs

Edited by Molokai, 18 March 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#59 Molokai

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:54 AM

Here I am, checking in again at 2.45am wink.gif

I actually think Archer may have reflux. When I google everything odd he does, the word reflux keeps popping up. So I went to a reflux site and he displays pretty much every single symptom on their list. I don't know what to do about it.

#60 jimbobmel

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:13 AM

Haha Molokai, I know what you mean about checking in all the time on here in the middle of the night! I think that it's the only posting I do!

So you think Archer might have reflux? What kind of symptoms does he have? Actually what are the symptoms? I've given up googling things, I just scare the crap out of myself if I do because I'm convinced that Nixon has whatever I google!
Why do they always do a mega sleep at a time that is inconvienient for us? Although I must say that we have had the odd sleep between 5-6 1/2 hours through the night!

doctorseuss, I have had to get infant size nappies for Nixon too. Newborn nappies just aren't cutting it anymore. I still have 2 unopened boxes!! I was told that you can take then back to Big W/Target (or wherever purchased from) & exchange them for the next size up but at these stores the next size in the cartons is the crawler size!!?? How hard are cartons of infant sized nappies to find!! I ended up getting them from Pram Warehouse for $49.95 for a carton of 128.
Poor sage with her little cold! I hope that she is feeling better! How awful for the poor little poppet! Hope that DH is home soon too! Nothing worse than having to cope without them.

AFM- we seem to be getting there. I've stopped putting too many expectations on myself so now we just go with the flow & I feel much better about most things. I've been a little bit brave & have ventured out a couple of times on my own. I'm going to take Nixon to the child health nurse tomorrow to be weighed again so I'm looking forward to seeing how much he's chunked up! I know that he's getting bigger because like you Molokai, he's starting to hurt my wrist when I hold him for a long time!

Ok, Nixon has finished feedin so it's back to bed for us both! I'll keep checking in here & the feb 2012 parent group to see what's going on.

Take care,
Mel xx

#61 Molokai

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:23 AM

Mel, this is the info I read:

http://www.refluxbook.com/refluxbook/webdo...s%20chapter.pdf

Only via iPhone so haven't verified source or anything yet, but the symptoms for Archer are the spitting up after every feed, shrieking in pain either while feeding or whole asleep, arching his back while feeding and pulling off, shorter feeds, shorter sleeps, feeding for a few minutes then going back to sleep, coughing/choking/grunting in his sleep and breath smelling of sour milk (this is the main issue I googled).

It does say that any one symptom could be just normal baby behavior but the fact he does all of them (although not all the time) made me suspicious. I'll look into it more on my laptop tomorrow but it does all fit together that his milk is rising up and burning his throat.

#62 HurryUpAlready

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:34 AM

Hi Molokai. Poor little Archer.

Do you have him sleeping on an angle at all (his bed tilted up a bit) like they do with the plastic cots in hospital? I find that Zara is more likely to vomit when I lay her flat after a feed.

It wont change the fact if he does have reflux but it might help a tiny bit??

#63 jimbobmel

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

Hmm, Molokai... It all sounds very familiar to me too! I think that I'm going to make him a doctors appointment & if no luck with that I'll talk to the pead when we have our appointment there in 2 weeks.
It sure is something to look into since he has quite a few of those symptoms. How is Archer going at the moment? I think I am going to try elevating Nixon's bassinet mattress to see if that helps him sleep better through the night because these last few nights have been pretty crap & he is cat napping through the day also.

Also wondering if anyone else had stitches after birthing & how long they took to dissolve?? I'm sure that the OB said that they would dissolve but they are still there.... All of them!

Have a good day ladies,
Mel x

#64 HurryUpAlready

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

Hi Mel. I thought the Dr said a couple of weeks for the stitches to dissolve? I'm not sure how long it took in reality... I didn't go feeling around to see if they were still there.

I had no discomfort though and never really knew the stitches were there.

Are they hurting you? Maybe you should get them checked out.

#65 ReadySetRace

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

Hi girls, how are you all?

Molokai I think a lot of those symptoms of reflux are normal baby stuff, Sage does half of them but I'm sure she doesn't have reflux (she doesn't cry much unless I'm late with a feed).  But definitely see your GP and try some of the medications.

Well we must be hitting a 6 week growth spurt as Sage is feeding a lot, and waking for more feeds...  Hope she gets back to 6 hour stretched soon.

DH is back today - yay! It's been hard at bedtime with the girls - Sage's big feed happens at the same time the girls go to bed, so yesterday I sent them to their room and told them I would come soon... But Sage kept feeding and DD2 kept coming up to me whinging... Just too tired.  So had to abandon settling the baby, put her on DD1's bed as I put big girls to bed.

Mel I know what you mean about infant nappies, can't get them anywhere!! O've been buying the 48 pack from Coles but $$$, will try pram warehouse.
We keep having poo explosions / poonamis / no.3s each day, not nice!

BTW my stitches disappeared in 1 week, are your going now? It's possible your OB used non- absorbable accidentally, if they don't go soon I'd ring the rooms.

Tomorrow is the 6 week check for Sage and I. Today went to work for a visit which went well.  Life is slowly getting back to normal.

#66 jimbobmel

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for that ladies, I think I'll ring the obstetricians rooms tomorrow & ask about the stitches. They have never caused me any discomfort but I did notice that they were still there. I got DH to have a look & he confirmed what I thought.  

I did my 1st express today. I think that it went pretty well! I just thought that I'd start stocking up some EBM so when I need a night off or a sleep in everything is there ready to go!

Good luck for the 6 week check tomorrow doctorseuss.

Hope everyone gets some good sleep tonight!

Night all
Mel original.gif

#67 Molokai

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

Hey, I'm not sure Archer has reflux now, he seems so much better so maybe it was just a phase. I did elevate his bassinet again (I had it that way previously). He doesn't throw up as much but he does end up at the bottom of his bassinet with his knees up around his belly biggrin.gif It's pretty cute but hope it's not hurting him. He's still screeching a bit just prior to a fart but maybe that's normal baby behaviour too. No screaming or crying anymore which is nice.

I did end up getting some gripe water, as suggested by the chemist lady, but the day I gave it to him (twice) he stayed awake for 8 hours straight. It was hell. DH got home and saw the gripe water contained alcohol and gave me an earful, I felt so guilty, but he'd been screaming at the chemist so I took her word for it and didn't check the ingredients. I didn't give it to him again, luckily he seems good now.

He's smiling now (smiled today at his dad, then his giraffe, then me - I managed to get it on camera and video), so cute.

I'm not sure about my stitches, I better get DH to have a look. I'm avoiding that area! The region was tender at the start, then itchy (I assumed this was healing) and now I don't really notice anything. I never managed to see the stitches - is it possible they were inside? Not sure how long it was supposed to take to dissolve. I'll go to the Ob in the next week or two and see I guess. Did you call the office? What did they say?

Well done on expressing Mel. Its good to have some as backup - I need to do it more often but as Archer is feeding every hour the last thing I feel like doing is milking myself - I just want my boobs left alone for a while. My two besties from Perth are coming over this weekend so I want to be able to feed him EBM so I can have a few glasses of champagne with them. Its difficult to know how much to express for one feed though. How much do you think? 100ml?

#68 ReadySetRace

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

Hi girls,
How are you all?
Sage has fallen asleep on me half way through a feed - will try a transfer soon.

Had our 6 week check today - Sage is perfect, but my OB couldn't get my mirena inserted so now I'm having it done under general anaesthetic on Friday. Bit scared, also inconvenient with breastfeeding, plus DH having to take a day off work. I've had troubles with mini pill before and we don't want to risk another pregnancy.

So back to Hospital again, thought I'd be done.

#69 Molokai

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:54 AM

Wow doctorseuss. I was thinking about getting mirena - Ive only ever used the pill - but i dont really know enough about it. Having to go under general sounds a bit  much! How annoying for you. Dont they just put it under your skin? Or am i thinking of something else?

Good luck with it all; you will be fine and back home before you know it original.gif

#70 jimbobmel

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

Hi all

It's so hard to know what's going on with them isn't it Molokai! Nixon has so many of those symptoms too. It awful to see them like this! I have elevated one end of his bassinet too and found him squished up at the bottom end the 1st night too lol! He is such a worm!

Ooh, doctorseuss.... That really throws things out of wack having to have a GA for the mirena! I've never looked into that as a form of contraceptive, sounds.... Uncomfortable! We might just stick with condoms. It seemed to have worked for us for the last 12 years! Wish I could take the pill sometimes though!

I'm waiting so patiently tonight/this morning for a text message from a really good friend who won't in to be induced last night. Can't wait to hear her great news!!!

As for the stitches, I rang the OB & spoke to the midwife there & since I have a doctors appointment for me & Nixon today, she said to get her to have a look. Hope there is no probs! I have my 6 week checkup with my OB in 2 weeks time so he can have a look then too but I will go in sooner if need be.

Oh and Molokai, I have looked into EBM amounts for feeding & it works out about 150ml per kg per day. So if you feed Archer 6 times a day & he weighs 5 kilos then you'll need 750ml of EBM for a 24 our period and 750/6=125ml per feed. Hope that makes sense??!! enjoy your visitors & the champagne!

Ok I'm going back to bed, have a big day tomorrow with a doctors appointment & a play date with my best friend! I'm looking forward to it original.gif

Hi to all our other mums & their little bubs too  waves.gif

Talk soon
Mel xx

Hope that this post makes sense, all done left handed on the iPad while feeding original.gif

#71 HurryUpAlready

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:06 AM

Ok, I need to google what a mirena is!! Will be thinking of you on Friday doctorseuss... hope it all goes well for you.

I'm a bit conflicted about contraception. I stopped taking the pill years and years ago as I got rotten headaches every month which cleared up once I stopped taking the pill. I loved not being on it and am really reluctant to take it (or anything involving chemicals in my system) again. I fell pregnant so easily when I tried that I dont want to muck around with my system at all, as we will want #2 sooner rather than later. Being 37 already I'm conscious of it getting harder to conceive as I get older. We've always relied on DH having "good timing", but I guess if that goes wrong we run the risk of having baby #2 much sooner than planned!!! Something I need to think about I guess.

Ok... Off to Dr Google I go!

Edited by HurryUpAlready, 22 March 2012 - 04:17 AM.

#72 HurryUpAlready

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:20 AM

I just googled... That looks scary!!

#73 ReadySetRace

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

Thanks girls. The mirena is just a coil with some hormones, I've never had it - always used the pill - but it's a good long term option. We don't want more kids so I though this would be perfect.  It's meant to be so easy.... But it just wouldn't go into my cervix apparently. I had problems with the minipill so I don't really have another good option. But not looking forward to tomorrow.

Sage has woken and is crying, I'd better go.

#74 HurryUpAlready

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:21 AM

Hi doctorseuss. My OB explained a bit more about the mirena today and it does sound like a great long term option. Bugger that they couldn't get it inserted easily, having to go under anesthetic (I know that is spelled wrong but have no idea how to spell it correctly!) to get it in is a pain. Will Sage need a bottle during the day or is the surgery quick enough that you don't need to worry?

I got some info on the Implanon today (another long term option) but the mini pill sounds the least obtrusive method so I think I'll either start taking that or just stick to our usual method and hope there's no accidents - in the next 6 months at least. I hate the thought of introducing chemicals into my reproductive system. Getting pregnant this time was such a breeze that I don't want to muck around with anything! I'm being paranoid I'm sure, so will discuss with DH and think about it some more.

Good luck tomorrow, will be thinking of you.

#75 Molokai

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:44 AM

Hurry up, just to comment on the pill, I was on it continuously from ages 13 to 35 when I went off for 5 cycles do I could chart before TTC. The first month we tried, DS was conceived. That was at age 35 after 22 years of pill use. I know everyone is different but just thought I'd let you know that the chemicals don't necessarily mean bad news. That said, I'm interested in exploring other methods of birth control as I did enjoy the break from the pill. Mind you at the moment we have zero plans for more kids ever so my methods might be less of a deciding factor.

Good luck deciding.

Hope all goes well doc.

Archer was screaming with wind pain, just what you want at 3.30 in the morning.he's settled down now.I knew it might happen, he had such a good run this afternoon sleeping for four hours at a stretch.now he's back to three, not great but better than the hourly wakeups he's been doing recently.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.