Constipation
9-month old breastfed baby

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sparkles30

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

Hi. I started my 9-month old on solids a few months ago. She went okay on a few spoons of farex, but since being introduced to vegetables, bread etc she has had constipation and screams when she poos. There was blood twice and I took her to the dr but he said the tear must have healed up.

Anyhow, she doesn't like fruit... mashed, pieces, pureed, juice, any which way. The only way I get it into her is either force feeding a few spoons full, or putting a tiny bit in with her potato (if she tastes it she wont eat it.).

To make matters worse, she won't drink much water, and has never taken a bottle.

She has tried tiny bits of pasta and bread and LOVES them, but I'm terrified to feed her normal meals like spag bog etc in case it blocks her up.

I breastfeed her about a zillion times a day/night as she seems really hungry and I don't give her much food.

I give her coloxyl drops which she loves, but I've been told they aren't a great long-term solution.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it is AWFUL watching her scream and poo, it's almost like she is having a fit she shakes and screams so much.

Thanks.

#2 melski1

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

I'm so sorry that your bubba is struggling.

My DS2 is almost 9 months and went through a phase of something similar, but perhaps not as bad. He's breastfed too.

I increased the amount of water and fruit he had, so if I was giving farex (which seemed to be part of the prob) I'd have a lot of fruit (normally pear) in it too.

Then I changed to Rafferty's Garden cereal and things seemed to get better. Also we stopped banana.

Do you mix her food with expressed milk or water?  You might also try giving her water in s syringe until she gets used to it.

Hope something there is of use.

Good luck!

#3 sparkles30

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for your reply. I do try using a syringe to get some prune juice into her, but mostly she just spits it out. I mix as much water as I can into her mash, but too much and she won't eat it.

She plain refuses any kind of pureed/mashed fruit (I think I have thrown out about 50 of those baby food twist top packets!).

I stopped the Farex just after she got constipated the first time as I figured the iron fortified element would make it all worse (even though oddly it didn't seem to constipate her at first, though it was only a spoon or two).

She loves finger food - broccoli, zuchini, bread, pasta. But no finger-food fruit! Closest to fruit that she will eat is Avocado... will this help or make it worse?

#4 sparkles30

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

Anyone else?

#5 Lucygoosey1

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

I'd keep up the coloxyl, it's just a stool softener and I wouldn't hesitate using it for a few months even until she starts to drink more water or eat pear/prunes etc.  My DD who is now 2, has chronic constipation since about 8mths.  We started on the coloxyl too. I don't think avocado will increase constipation, but bread, cheese, cereal will.  Juice is good.  I actually think the avoidance of constipationn is very very important.  My DD at 2 literally eats less than my 6mth old, has very poor eating habits and is very underweight.  Veges are good, less on the potato and more other veg.  Still give pasta etc just not too much.  Actually, you can mix pear with veg too which should help. I'd keep persevering with different cups for water, try a normal 3 hole sippy cup.  My 6mth old refuses a bottle but will drink a little water out of a cup.

#6 Rosiebutton

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

Hi.  All 3 of mine had constipation when going on to solids.  I also suggest raffertys cereal but mixed with prune juice instead of water.  I do also add pureed pear sometimes.  My kids never liked farex but loved rg and bellamys cereals.  I also give prune juice mixed with water in a sippy cup.  My last baby is 6 months now and he has actually had poo stuck half in, half out and screaming, so I know how upsetting it is.  Good luck.

#7 Pssst...

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

We had the same problem with DD who is now 15 months so technically I don't belong here... wink.gif

It took her weeks and weeks to learn to drink water.  In the end it was a mag mag straw cup that she preferred.  And we added a little dash of apple juice to the water and gradually reduced until it was just stright water.  Not everyone is comfortable with this - even I wasn't! But it did the trick and now she drinks lots and lots of water.  She also gets pear slices with her weetbix each morning which helps keeps constipation at bay these days.

Good luck!

#8 sparkles30

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

Thanks so much for the advice everyone. Just wondering for those with constipated babies, how long did it take before it got better? Thanks again.

#9 Paddlepop

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

My daughter (now 2yo) has had constipation since birth. She has been formula fed from 2 days after birth so that probably contributed to the constipation.

I understand the pain of watching your baby cry and scream and shake from trying to poo, and having to almost pull the poo out of their bottom because they are exhausted and don't want to keep pushing. It's so distressing. My daughter has been much better since I started her on Parachoc (liquid paraffin) about six months ago. She now poos at least once a day, maybe even twice! It isn't a laxative, it works by lubricating the bowel and poo so the poo can slide easily through her body and out the other end. Unfortunately it isn't suitable for babies under 12 months.

I also give her coloxyl drops and have since about 6 months old. I also put a bit of Benefibre in her milk. It completely dissolves and is tasteless.

My daughter wouldn't drink water from a normal sippy cup because she doesn't like to tip her head back when drinking. The solution (after lots of expensive sippy cups) was cheap $2 Sistema straw sippy cups from Kmart/Woolworths/Coles. They are a clear cup with red, blue, pink or green lids and a soft plastic straw. I think the label also has "Dinkee Drinkee" on it too. Best thing ever for her! Initially she didn't know to suck on the straw so we would put the straw in her mouth and tip the cup up so water would flow down the straw and into her mouth. She eventually got the idea and sucked for herself. She still doesn't understand normal sippy cups and only likes straw cups.

Also, my daughter is particular about the temperature of the water she drinks. She prefers it icy cold with ice cubes in it, and won't drink room temperature water. We also drink filtered water because we don't like the taste of the tap water since Brisbane put flouride in the water a few years ago.

Don't be too worried if your daughter doesn't like fruit yet. Give her lots of fibrous vegetables instead. Pumpkin works well in our house. Perhaps you could stew some apples or pears and mash them into your daughter's normal vegies. My daughter used to only like fruit and hated vegies but now prefers her steamed vegies to fruit (apart from apple slices).

We found that Farex gave our DD stinky hard poos. We changed to Nestle Cerelac rice cereal and her poo was less offensive smelling and slightly softer.

I hope some of the things I did might help you and your DD.  

#10 sparkles30

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for the advice on sippy cups! I think I've spent a small fortune on them trying every different one. Have tried poppers with straws and I just squirt it up, but because it is juice she spits it out. Will try those cheap straw cups and see if she will take water.

#11 Paddlepop

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

Just a warning: my daughter acted like I was trying to poison her at first when I gave her water! Then she found it funny, then she started enjoying it. Be prepared for some funny faces, water spitting and wet shirts (on her, not you hopefully)!

#12 Lucygoosey1

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

Lots of babies have short bouts of constipation, but my DD is now 2 yrs old and I think now she's toilet trained her constipation seems a bit better.  She has been on laxatives for close to 18mths.  The product we've had the most success with is Osmolax, which mixes with milk or water.  It is available over the counter. I hated lactulose, as it's such a large amount to administer (5ml or so), but couldn't be mixed into a bottle (although worked)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.