Dip in Supply
Tips for bringing it back up

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 fick

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:36 AM

Hi All,

My DP has experienced a dip in her milk supply and we are eager to get this back up to par and stop our DD losing any more weight.

So far, DP is pumping as much as she can to stimulate her supply and trying to add brewers yeast and flaxseed meal to her meals/drinks where possible.

Just wondering if you lovely ladies had any extra tips that might help?

TIA
Gxx

#2 lucky 2

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

I think it would depend on the specifics of what is happening. If you baby has lost weight then this would be unusual in a baby that was thriving up to that point and baby would need a health assessment, ie GP, CHN etc. Has the weight loss happened rt illhealth in baby or mother. What has happened? I think this extra information is very relevant to working out how to help the situation reverse itself IYKWIM?
It might be good to call ABA for a chat but if there have been health concerns for mother or baby I'd try and get an appt with a LC ASAP.
Sorry for all the questions but each situation is different so having as much information as possible can help us give feedback that will be the most suited to your particular situation.
All the best

#3 fick

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for the reply, lucky 2.

Okay, well, here's the whole story. It's kind of long and involved so I was trying to avoid having to type it all out but bear with me, I'll do my best...

DD was born on 31/08/2011 and it was discovered shortly after birth that she has/had an Imperforate Anus and a single kidney. Due to to the single kidney, our surgeon at SCH (Sydney Children's Hospital) decided the best course of action was to perform a colostomy procedure. This was done when DD was nine days old. We eventually left SCH when DD was 3wks old. During that entire time she was fully breastfed with only one occasion where she was given a small amount of formula as I had insisted on getting DP out of the hospital for dinner as she was going a bit stir crazy, what with not sleeping in her own bed for almost a month and the enormous stress of giving birth, finding out something was wrong, sending our DD off to surgery etc.

Anyways.. Feeding was going very well, DP was managing to express a good amount when needed along with feeding DD the regular way. DD gained weight and was thriving. She had a second surgery on November 28th and we spent another week at SCH for monitoring.

Since that surgery to now, DD has dropped her evening feeds and sleeps through the night. We've been having issues trying to settle her for sleeps during the day but we just figured that was one of her quirks. DP booked in to see the nurses at Tresillian, just to get some guidance/tips, on the 8th of Feb. During this visit, the nurses weighed DD and we discovered she'd lost about 400grms since her last surgery weigh-in in November.

Nurses advised that it appeared that DP's supply was dipping and this was the cause of DD's unsettled day-time sleeps and her generally grizzly demeanor during the day. Basically, the little munchkin was hungry.

Both DD and DP have been completely healthy since DD's birth (with the obvious exception being DD"s surgeries, but she wasn't really 'sick' IYKWIM). Obviously the stress of surgeries, plus the craziness and stress that Christmas was (flying with a 3mo etc) has had an impact on DP and her milk supply. As of right now, in an effort to get DD to gain some weight, we are comp feeding but we don't want this to continue too long. Ideally, we would like to get DP's milk supply back up to a level where she can give DD all the sustenance she needs.

In addition to the things I mentioned in my first post, DP is also taking Fenugreek at meal times.

Any help or tips you could provide would be dearly appreciated.

Thanks.

#4 lucky 2

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php...name=doc%20PMBI
http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-SWGF

Sorry to have to drag that out of you, I suppose in the back of my mind I had a memory of some sort of history with your baby and I know supply doesn't drop for no reason.
The links above I hope will help.
My thoughts would be (in conjunction with the above)-
Increase bfing if possible, ie ? add dream feed, try feed/play/feed/sleep routine instead of feed/play/sleep, ? at some points in the day. Just finding times to throw in an extra suckle.
Bfing-switch feeding, breast compressions.
Seeing a LC for  specific and expert advice.
Expressing is an option, fenugreek is an option as is Domperidone (from GP).
I hope you get some success at boosting supply, if it was great before it should be great again, ? did it perhaps go down post surgery and never come up again?
All the best.

#5 fick

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

Thanks lucky 2.

The advice is much appreciated. It seems as though supply went down post-Christmas. She has milk (sometimes it'll squirt across the room), it just seems that what she has isn't enough for DD at the moment.

We will keep trying. original.gif

Thanks again.

#6 therebel

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

I'm struggling with a low supply, perhaps caused by a breast reduction many years ago, and DD is underweight.

I'm taking strong dosages of Motilium, Fenugreek, drinking at least 2lt water a day and eating very well. I'm also expressing about 10 times a day, including after every feed (waiting 45 minutes if possible for the supply to rebound) and feeding DD all three PM feeds from a bottle of EBM (no FF). Have only used this complete regime for the last couple of days and have already seen a massive improvement in DD's sleeping frequency and behaviour (yey!).

#7 fick

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

Good luck, therebel. Sounds like you're seeing some good results already. original.gif

DP has been expressing yesterday and today. Yesterday she was only managing 10mls in total, today that's up to 20mls. We're both hoping that it will continue to improve.

#8 lucky 2

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

It should!

therebel, have you seen the website BFAR? All about bfing after breat surgeries.
All the best.
http://bfar.org/

#9 Jenferal

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

I don't normally say this before 6 months, but have you thought about solids if your partner's supply isn't satisfying your daughter?
I don't know about her medical condition, so maybe her paediatrician might say no, but a bit of rice cereal in EBM might help once or twice a day.

#10 CharliMarley

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

You say you are not getting a lot when you express your milk, but remember that babies can get more than a pump can. I would do some Switch Feeding, which is when you go from one side to the other in the one feed So put her on one side and then take her off after a couple of minutes and switch to the other side. Some babies can go up to 8 times backwards and forwards and this is a great way to boost supply. I would also feed your baby more during the day and perhaps wake her for one feed overnight. The more you give her, the more milk you will make. biggrin.gif

#11 therebel

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (lucky 2 @ 10/02/2012, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
therebel, have you seen the website BFAR? All about bfing after breat surgeries.
All the best.
http://bfar.org/

Wow, great website Lucky2, thanks! I'm off to the health food shop!

DD's next weigh in is in four days' time, so that should indicate whether the new strategy to increase my supply is working (I'm now waking up briefly to express 4 times overnight + DD's 4amish feed, although I'm ensuring there is a clear hour, express-free gap before and after her feed).

P.S. I'm now under intense pressure from family members to supplement with FF. Usually my stubbornness is a vice but fortunately it's working in my favour now! No FF so far, but again the next weigh in will be critical. Fingers crossed!

#12 fick

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

Just wanted to update... Appears DP's supply is starting to come back up. Still not getting a lot from expressing, but she keeps trying. We are comp feeding, but not forcing DD to take the entire amount (around 100mls) and always after a BF first. we had her weighed yesterday and she had gained a whopping 510grams in five days.

We're going to continue comp feeding for a bit, slowly reducing the amount of formula she's getting and see where things go from there.

Thanks for all your advice ladies. Much appreciated.

#13 therebel

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

Guys, delighted to advise that DD weighed in at +200 grams in a week and my supply appears to be gradually increasing!

I'm now also drinking a 'breastfeeding' tea four times a day (with fennel seeds, nettle, blessed thistle etc) and taking another breastfeeding support supplement containing fenugreek etc. Still expressing at least 10 times a day, on Motilium and the other measures. And still no FF! Not giving up yet!  biggrin.gif

#14 lucky 2

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

That's a fantastic result therebel original.gif , absolutely fantastic following a breast reduction, all the best.

#15 pearlnorma

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

Drink water!!! Lots and lots of water. DO NOT STOP. Tell her to drink when she is breastfeeding, after she has fed, everytime she goes near the kitchen, all day and all night long. You will be amazed by her milk supply after only a little while. She needs the water. If she is dehydrated her body will take all fluid for herself to keep functioning - none goes to bulking up her supply. Get a big drink bottle keep it filled up with good tasting water at a temperature that she likes and she will gulp it down and it will take only a day or two for her milk to reproduce.

I stopped drinking water all together at one stage (did not realise), my supply dropped and I was able to express no  more than ten mls every three hours. My boy was on every half an hour because he was starving and started losing weight. I realised I was thirsty, had a drink and began drinking about three letres in half a day. By the next day my milk was up, baby sleeping soundly, he was good and full and was back to expressing 200mls in under 10 mins!

Hope it helps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.