Home size for families of 5-6?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BentoBaby

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

This is a bit of a spin off and I know that 3-4 kids isn't really a LARGE family but I thought you ladies would be able to help!

How big are your bedrooms? We live in a 3 bedroom duplex & at the moment the room DS is in is TINY (as in 2.1x2.8 meters!!) But we are hoping in the future to turn that into the bathroom & covert the bathroom & hall into a new slightly larger room. The bedrooms would still be small but I'm hoping at least one room can house 2 kids.

Also, do you have one living/dining area or multiple rooms? We have a small combined living/dining/kitchen & I wonder whether that combined with small share bedrooms is doable with 3 (or even 4 maybe) kids? A bigger house is not an option until the oldest is closer to 10-12.

#2 No One

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

We have 6 children, and live in a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house.  The master bedroom is quite big, but the 2 other bedrooms are average sized (3x3 i think).  We have the 2 youngest ones in one room and the 4 older in the other room.

We have an average sized kitchen, and a sitting/dining room.  The place where the garage should be has been converted to another living area, so we sort of have 2 living areas, but the second is taken up with computer stuff and toys.

Having all the kids in 2 rooms is not ideal, but it's doable.  They don't mind sharing most of the time.  We're just beginning to do some renos and an extension, so it wont' be for long (we've lived here for nearly 7 years).  By far the worst parts of this house is lack of storage for clothes (all 6 children's clothes are in one built in, and 2 chests of drawers, in the one room), lack of storage in the kitchen, no room for a dining table larger than 6 chairs, and only one bathroom.

Once the renos are done, we will have 4 bedrooms and a study, 2 bathrooms, a larger kitchen and sitting area, and room for an 8 seater dining table!  I can't wait!

#3 BentoBaby

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

Wow Mrs Doyle!! We only have one bathroom/toilet & one small living area (1 x 3-4 seated couch & 2 small chairs). I think the lack of living area will be a huge issue for us unfortunately. We have nowhere for a computer desk/storage etc. We do have decent kitchen storage though. We also don't have an internal laundry (it is under the house which is outside & through a gate & down some stairs). I am trying to find a way to move the washing machine into the bathroom to help with this.

#4 Bobsygirls

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

We are a family of 5. I have three daughters and we live in a big four bedroom house. Our bedrooms are all large. We currently have our older daughters sharing a room, a playroom and a spare bedroom with the baby in with us. I'm not sure what we will do as the baby gets older possibly put her in with the middle girl and give our big girl her own room but it will depend on what they prefer. I have no objection to them being all in together if that is what they want.

We only have one bathroom plus two toilets. We will definitely be adding a second bathroom at some point.

#5 CafeCat

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

How big are your bedrooms?

We has all 7 of us across 3 bedrooms. It worked while the kids were little. All their clothes were little. Everything fitted. When they started getting bigger (primary school age) things got cramped fast. We renovated making our house 6-7 bedrooms.

Also, do you have one living/dining area or multiple rooms?

Pre-renovation we had a small area away form the living space for their toys. Sometimes they played there. Most of the time they dragged whatever it was into the living/kitchen/dining area.

Like you, our renovations didn't take place until the eldest was 11. By then it was sorely needed!

#6 KristyMum-

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

6 of us (2 adults, 4 children ages 12, 10, nearly 7 and 3)
we have a 3 x 1
the youngest has just moved out of our bed into a big bed.
we did have DD1 in her own room and DS2 and DS1 in the other
now we have DD1 and DS1 in one room and DS2 and DS3 in the other room.

the people before us convered the back patio to a back room - I guess you'd call a 'games' room
there's the lounge room/dining (which is long, rather than square and cosy, but it fits)
and we did have a dining and kitchen pre reno but took out the wall to make one larger kitchen (plus the dining room was barely used)

I actually don't want a larger house.
or any extra bathrooms.

What I want is to 'finish' this place (walls unpainted, trims not on etc - only one room has been completely finished) and then increase our grid solar (only 1.5kw atm), increase our rainwater capcity (only 950 litres DIY atm), increase our f&v production/space etc and make what we have more efficient.

in that light I have been thinking 'what if we got rid of the back room, back patio and the shed?'... lol now THAT would increase food production area significantly!

Edited by KristyMum-, 09 February 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#7 *maddierose*

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

We have just bought a new house and are a family of 6. 2 adults, 2 teens and 2 young ones .

Our previous house was 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, lounge, dining, family and rumpus.

Our new house is 4 bedrooms, however we have put french doors onto the formal  dining to make a 5th bedroom and we are having a proper wall put in, in 6 weeks. So the children all have their own rooms. They are average sized with the new room being slightly larger.

We have 2 bathrooms plus a down stairs toilet.

average sized kitchen and laundry.

Living spaces we have a seperate study/office which is bedroom sized. Formal lounge, informal dining, a family room and an up stairs rumpus.

So quiet a biggish house with plenty of room but TBH we do not use all of the space. We could live without the study and formal lounge.

Edited by belnryan, 09 February 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#8 coco100

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

We have 3 children and our house is 4 bed, 2 bath 2 living.

Our room is 4x3.8. DD1 and DS room are about 3.8x3.8 and DD2s room is smaller at 4x2.7.

At the moment DD1 and DS are choosing to share DD1's room as she has bunks in there but his room has been kept as is because sometimes they like to sleep in separate rooms and eventually I'm sure he will want to go back to his room permanently.

#9 *Caro*

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

This thread is really timely for me, as we are in the process of finalising house plans and working out how much space we need in our new house.

We are currently in a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom house, which should be fine but it is quite badly laid out, so it doesn't work too well for us.  We have our 2 boys (1 & 3) sharing a room which has room for a cot, toddler bed, change table and nothing else!  We don't have a proper laundry, only a cupboard and we can only fit a 5.5kg washing machine in there.  One of the things we have done to get around lack of storage is to give each kid an under-bed roller tub where they store most of their clothes.  

Our new place will be 5 bedrooms, proper laundry, kitchen with walk-in pantry, combined kitchen-family-dining, and a rumpus room.  We're going to have a small ensuite for DH and I, and a three-way bathroom for the kids to share.  Some friends have suggested we need a powder room, a study and a sitting room, but we're trying to keep things a bit more lean - not only because we don't want to clean a huge house, but why pay for rooms that you don't really NEED? A sitting room might be nice, but how often would we really use it? I grew up in a house with only one living room, and whilst it wasn't ideal, it certainly meant we spent time together as a family and learnt to negotiate use of the room!

Edited by *Caro*, 14 February 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#10 Sif

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

We have two adults and four children, all boys aged 12, 10, 6 and 3. Our house technically has three bedroom, but one of those has to be available to Dh's elderly mother and very soon we will need it to store the contents of the garage which the owners are going to demolish to make way for two townhouses in our back yard.

So, all four boys are in the same room. The three younger ones don't mind, but the eldest has made his wishes for his own space known a fair bit lately...

#11 miaandme

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hi,

We are a family of 6 and have 5 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms + study.  We have a combined kitchen, living and dining and then another toy/media room and then a small upstairs rumpus.

Prior to building this house we had 4 bedrooms (one very tiny) and one bathroom.  Bathrooms weren't an issue as all my kids are small.  We also had one living space and a large deck, so it wasn't all that squished.  If it had just one more living space we could have happily stayed there.

I think its very personal what you need.  In our old house it was a bit claustrophic as I had 3 out of 4 kids home most of the week, so it felt like there was always someone underfoot.  But I think if the kids were older and at school most of the time that wouldn't be such an issue.  Plus soooo many toys with little kids, that does dwindle over time.

Good luck

#12 Fabulous

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

We are a family of 7. We currently live in a small 4 bed, 2 bath, 1 living area house. We are currently building a 6 bed, study, 3 living areas house. We chose 3 x 4m for all of the minor bedrooms. Our house is going to be 350 sqm which is 3 times the floor area of our current house!!

Edited by Fabulous, 23 April 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#13 MickeyBoo

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

We have four kids, very soon to be five, and two adults in the house. We have three bedrooms, one bathroom, teensy kitchen, dining, lounge and large rumpus with a big backyard.

The kids bedrooms are small at around 2.7x2.4 and the master bedroom is bigger with a large built in robe (we can fit a king bed in there comfortably). We have two kids in bunks in each room and they fit well with room to move.

We're in the process of getting extensions done which will give us a large parents retreat style room with 3x3m ensuite, and 3x3m WIR, an extra 2 bedrooms at 3x3m each with an additional space between for BIRs, a new dining area, extended living area and bigger kitchen. We're also looking at having the BIR in our original master bedroom split so that the bedroom behind has a BIR too. The changes will almost double our floor space from about 100-200sqm.

Our eldest kid is almost 10 and our youngest is 2.5, and there's been no issue with sharing so far, but with the addition of a #5 we need to get the house sorted this year and they will end up with having a room each, or two will share the larger room and we can use one of the smaller rooms as a study and open up the rumpus a bit more.

I couldn't imagine having them all squished in there once the older two hit their teen years and we have felt a little overcrowded at times here, but the extra living space and large backyard gives us room to move away from each other. My biggest sore point is the kitchen and only having one bathroom.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

Couple has five babies in 14 months

Julie and David Grygla weren't sure they'd ever have kids - but their dreams have now well and truly come true.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.