Do you make your own kefir?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ~iMum~

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

Kefir, my newest 'thing'. I bought my starter pack today and can't wait to get started.

My mum has a lot of gastric issues, so I'm hoping she'll like it, too, and that it might be of benefit for her (along with the BioBubble pribiotic drink I bought her).

Figured I'd post this on EB to see if y'all have been doing this for some time and I'm just a little slow, or if I'm a trend-setter biggrin.gif

#2 Mama8

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

i dont personally but a very good friend of mine does original.gif
she even make kefir cheeses

#3 Jenferal

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

What IS it? is it that weird tea that needs scum on top of it to do you any good?

#4 Mama8

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:17 PM

its a lacto-ferment drink like a probiotic original.gif tastes like lime splice original.gif

#5 Avidlearner1

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

Yep. My DP suffers from a few health issues including diverticulosis as well having a few problems digesting white products.

A tbsp or two of ground flaxseed and LSA in the morning plus some kefir and all his problems have "disappeared". He also supplements with some fish oil tablets, flaxseed tablets to ensure he is maintaining his omegas.

He is the healthiest he has been in ages, the doctors are really impressed. For a guy who was facing long term diverticulitis flare ups as well as kidney failure, he is doing fantastically.

I remember reading a few basic links to get started and once I was comfortable making it I played with it a little more. Here is a link I bookmarked:

http://www.cheeseslave.com/how-to-make-kefir/

#6 onthephone

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

I make it using the packs you can buy in the health food shop. From memory it is about $9 for 5 packs and each makes up to 3 or 4 litres. I can buy it ready made at the local farmers market but it is too expensive that way.

We have been having it for years. I am not a huge fan of the taste so prefer to make smoothies with it.

#7 pregnantladybird

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

yes - it was doing brilliantly last year then we went away over Xmas and the grains are still looking pretty sad. Still getting the kefir out f it though - mostly use in green smoothies for brekkie

#8 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

No, but it sounds interesting. Where do you get the starter packs from?

#9 cattivo lupo

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

So is it like yakult?  We love yakult!  I want to make that.  Must check it out at the health food shop.

#10 wilding

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

I make this one yum yum yum. Yummy in whole wheat pancakes.

Edited by wilding, 06 February 2012 - 05:22 PM.

#11 Jembo

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

I went to a health talk the other night and they talked a lot about kefir, so we are going to give it a try.  

It was recommended to us to not buy it in packs or from the health food shops, that it should be from pure grains off someone - there is supposedly someone who will give it away. We are getting ours given to us by someone who has been growing the one batch for about 8 yrs -just have to wait till it has grown a bit more enough to share.  If my memory is right, the ones from the health food shops etc, are missing something?

#12 Bobsygirls

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

Yes, I brew water kefir and milk kefir. I also regularly kefir cream and culture butter.

The sachet's from the shops are crap, get some grains so that you can brew continuously.

The weird tea is Kombucha.

Edited by Bobsygirls, 06 February 2012 - 05:54 PM.

#13 ~kerry~

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

Yes, a friend gave me some grains and it was going great, then, just like a PP, we went away for Christmas, I read somewhere that you can freeze it? Well, it didn't recover, so I am getting some more. Can't wait original.gif

#14 Jenferal

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

Ahh kombucha! That's the one I heard of original.gif
This kefir sounds intriguing.

#15 ~iMum~

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

Great to hear of other converts out there, now I have somewhere to ask if I need a hand biggrin.gif

pp - I got my starter pack from our towns organic supermarket. With a cool glazed pot for fermenting it was $60 all up. You can do it heaps cheaper if you buy just the grains, though (or know someone who'll give you some).

#16 onthephone

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

The sachet's from the shops are crap, get some grains so that you can brew continuously.
no they are not crap. I like the sachets as they are so easy to use and you can brew multiple lots from one pack. I just do it in the yoghurt maker, suits me and I have been a kefir drinker for about 8 years.

#17 Bobsygirls

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:07 AM

Onthephone I only meant they are crap because you keep paying for them. Much better to continuously brew then you can share the love too original.gif

#18 onthephone

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

I only meant they are crap because you keep paying for them. Much better to continuously brew then you can share the love too
cool. I used to buy it made but it is just too expensive.

How hard is it to keep brewing your own? Can you do it in a yoghurt maker?

#19 Bobsygirls

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

It's easy and you don't need any equipment just a glass jar, or a bowl.

#20 ubermum

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

You can get the starter grains on ebay.

#21 Bobsygirls

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

Or from cultures alive.com.au

#22 blissfulqueenb

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

Google Doms Kefir Site for the most thorough info about kfir.

We make dairy kefir (with raw milk) and Water kefir.  I dehydrate my grains so that I hav spares if I go away for too long and neglect mine:)

I'm about to make ginger beer from my water grains and I tried some beaut pineapple kefir a few weeks back that my friend made me for my birthday.

Try Cultured Food Life too - they have the most wonderful recipes on there.
http://culturedfoodlife.com/rons-kefir-onion-dip/

I tried the dried culture but it tasted nothing like the kefir I make from the grains.

Edited to say, you don't need any equipment that the regular kitchen doesn't have.  I use 2 regular drinking glasses and one is just permanently sitting on the bench, the other is on the go. Oh, and a sieve.

Edited by blissfulqueenb, 07 February 2012 - 11:04 AM.

#23 Bobsygirls

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

I culture mine in a mason jar.

I love ginger and lime kefir my absolute favourite. My friend has been adding different dried fruits to hers and I tried one she had made with pineapple and mango the other day and it was delicious!

#24 ~iMum~

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

Hi ladies

I have a few questions about my kefir that I can't seem to find the answer to elsewhere, so I'm hoping one of you can help me out.

When it's made (24 hours in this heat!), do I then de-cant it into a glass jar and store it in the fridge? If so, how long does it keep for?

#25 ~iMum~

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

Anyone?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The mum who never met her baby

There was one more thing Kymberlie Shepherd wanted to experience in life - motherhood. But a rare illness took her first.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.