Birth plans?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Alvarywinters

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

Hey everyone!

I had a look through previous topics but may have missed this already being up, if so, my bad  wink.gif

What are your plans for birth? Where and with who? Do you have a set birth plan or will just go with it? Are you writing a birth plan? How long are you planning to stay?

Me...well nearly not a lot of choice here lol...but...
Public hospital with midwives and maybe ob (not sure yet, will update that when I'm allowed to see one =.=).
I don't want an induction, epidural or cesarean, but perfectly happy to take any other pain meds they offer haha
My mother and DP (will be DH then  happy.gif ) will be there.
Wanting to set up a written birth plan but might wait until after my first MW visit tomorrow.
Hoping to stay no more than 48 hours...apparently the hospital does well with short stays and 24 hours isn't uncommon where requested...yay!

Be interesting to see what choices everyone has made...there are so many options!

#2 Dettol

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

What are your plans for birth? Dont really have one other than I am thinking he is going to want to come out sooner or later.  Ball is in his court.

Where and with who? Hospital with husband.

Do you have a set birth plan or will just go with it? Go with it.

Are you writing a birth plan? No

How long are you planning to stay?  Dont understand how you can 'plan' this?  But I dont plan on hanging around the hospital any longer than I have to.

One this I have told husband is no spectators or people in training having a go or a look, I am not a guinea pig.

#3 Alvarywinters

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

Just some people push to leave as soon as they can and others want to enjoy a longer stay original.gif

#4 Kelly84PerthWA

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

Last time i had a vaginal birth with just a bit of gas been 8 and 10 cms. I also had some local when i had to have an episiotomy.

This time, fingers crossed i am going to try without gas.... even as i write this i am thinking i must be mad... it was the worst pain imaginable!!

My only problem is my placenta is at the front this time so hopefully i wont be giving birth forehead first.....

#5 MickeyBoo

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

I am going public, but I am high risk so under OB care. My last two babies were started off with induction at 38 weeks, and it will be the same this time. An OB will start the induction and the midwives will do the whole labour and birth bit. I manage with just gas ok so will probably just go for that again, I'm not allowed an epidural so that's off the table regardless.

My last two births I have gotten to 5cm and my pain has all of sudden gone through the roof, I have asked to be checked each time before any further pain medication is administered and at the same time for the midwives to stretch my cervix, both times I have gone from 5cm to fully dilated in 2mins, and then bub is out 5mins later. So I'm really hoping that it goes super quick like that again!

I've copied my birth plan from the last two times in here as a reference, it was really well received by the midwives, it's simple requests and not demanding, and also open to change if need be, which I think they appreciate when reading and trying to follow. The more 'this is the way it has to go' you are about the whole process the less likely they are to be pro-active about it, well that's my experience anyway. The first time I used it, both midwives read it and set everything up, made changes along the way without needing to ask me, it was really pleasant and made for a great birth experience. My last birth I had an experienced midwife and a trainee, the trainee was adamant she knew more about my body than I did and was resistant to the birth plan, but didn't refuse any of it. She also scoffed at me being able to dilate 5cm in 2mins, and then got the shock of her life when the whole labour turned out exactly how I said it was going to, and even funnier at the exact time I said bub was going to be born. Her face was hilarious and I wish I had of gotten a picture Tounge1.gif It was still a good labour though.

BIRTH PLAN

I understand that not everything will work the way that I would prefer and that circumstances change in an instant, however these are the options that I would like to try and work with and I am open to things going differently to what's expected..

SUPPORT PERSON

 My husband and my mother will be my only support persons

PREFERENCES

 To have cold water to drink, or ice available to munch on
 I would like a few pictures of my baby straight after birth
 I would like the lights to be dim for the labour and birth

PAIN RELIEF

 I would like to be able to use the shower in the early stages
 I would like to be able to move around and try different positions
 I would like to be able to use the gas first
 If needed, I would then like pethidine to be offered before anything else
 I am unable to have epidural due to back problems and a previous failure for it to work. The anaesthetist has recommended an alternative if need be.
 I would like support with my pain management and help to stretch out time between pain relief requests.

OTHER LABOUR PREFERENCES

 I would prefer to tear naturally, rather than have an episiotomy
 I would prefer the use of the vacuum over forceps
 I would prefer limited monitoring, however understand that it is sometimes necessary. I would mainly like to be able to move into different positions and not be stuck on my back for long periods of time.
 I would like to be able to have the bean bag available.
 I would prefer if my husband cut the cord.
 I would prefer that any cannulas to be put into the back of my hands instead of in my arms.

AFTER BIRTH

 I would like to see the placenta after birth, and after that it can be discarded.
 If all is ok with baby and myself after birth I would like to take part in he 48 hour discharge program

FEEDING BABY

 I have had previous supply issues with three of my children and attachment issues with my second. I would like to attempt breastfeeding and would like support to do so. Being diabetic I know that my baby will have to have regular feeds to help stabilise sugars, however I would like breast milk offered before formula and help with attaching.
 If all else fails I would at least like to give my baby the colostrum.

Edited by MickeyBoo, 02 February 2012 - 01:39 PM.

#6 Alvarywinters

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

What a great (and well written) birth plan! Very simple and straight forward...will be using it as a base for mine biggrin.gif

#7 babymumma89

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

I have decided not to have a birth plan at all, being the sort of person I am I know that if I organise something and want it to go a certain way and that doesn't happen I will freak out.
I understand that you can't really control what happens so I am happy to go into labour with an open mind and no real expectations, I am just expecting the worse and hoping it's not so bad. In saying that I am all for pain meds and would rather not have to have an episiotomy but I know these things can't be helped.

Good luck ladies!

#8 nikkidee

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

MickeyBoo that is very impressive! You have motivated me to do more reading and put one together myself.

There is one thing I want to avoid at all costs - forcepts and vacuum. A friend had a very very very bad experience with forcepts and I am absolutely terrified of them as a result.  I would rather have a C-Section if it came down to it.

I need to do so much research before the birth! Feeling very disorganised.

#9 Megan!

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

To be honest I am PETRIFIED about the birth & one of the first emotions I felt (along with joy) when I found out I was expecting was COMPLETE AND UTTER TERROR!!!!!
The less I think about it the better.

When I met my "mother in law" (not married but she calls herself this after 10 yrs of being in a relationship), for either the first time or soon afterwards, she announced that she used to be a midwife and if I was to have a baby with my partner she would be present during labour and delivery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AGGGGH nightmare!

I was 19 at the time and absolutely FREAKED OUT!

I am NOT the sort of person who likes to have an audience during times of vulnerability & therefore my plan is to have my partner present. I made it clear to her when I was 19 and ever since that she will not be present or welcome during labour & delivery. I am considering my mum being present during labour but it depends on how I'm feeling - this is my first & I have no idea how I will react.

Apart from that I am pro epidural & anything else I require I'll just take as I need it but nothing unnecessary.

I quite liked many of the points that you had in your plan MickeyBoo & although I don't want a formal written plan, I will make sure my partner is in charge of making sure my needs/wants/desires are met. eg. the photos, ice/water, showering etc.

#10 Allele

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

Good book I am writing my birth plan from for my second child is
"Natural hospital birth"
Step by step and wish I had it for my first son!

#11 last~one

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

With my first baby being only 18, I was really scared with the pain. I had an epidural, pethidine and gas, he took a long 12 hours...I wasnt keen on not being able to feel the contractions to push him out, and I think this made me very tired:( But thankfully, no tears or stitches
My second baby 2 years later was alot better, I had pethidine and gas, she was delivered in 4 hours, but scraped me with her little nails as she came down the birth canal...ouch!!! but again no stitches or tears original.gif
My last baby 4 years later, I had an aromatherapy birth. Using lavender, alot of massaging, quiet music and use of the bath, which I loved original.gif I only had the gas, and as he was posterior it was quite painful, and took a little longer, I had a lot of back pain and the sciatic nerve in my leg was awful...But again no stitches or tears original.gif
I really hold off pushing when the midwives say, and I think thats what has saved me from tearing?
9 years later with this cherub, I think I may just go with the flow also, I really enjoyed the aromatherapy birth, my doctor has advised to maybe think of the epidural if this little one is posterior too, as these births can be quite painful with no use of pain relief...Im not keen though, but we will see original.gif I would love to try a water birth! Our hospital offers them, Im still deciding! And my husband will be the only support in the room with me.Im going to try and be at home as long as I can until I venture to the hospital! original.gif xxx

Edited by last~one, 03 February 2012 - 11:29 AM.

#12 newyearbaby

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

With my first baby I wrote a birth plan, which was centred around what I hoped it would be. I didn't show anyone at the hospital. When I looked at it a week later I discovered that everything, was achieved. So I say, aim for whatever experience you want, and hopefully you too can have it. Calmbirth is a brilliant course and certainly helped with my first birth. Beautiful calm water birth, without any drugs. I stayed overnight and checked out first thing in the morning.

My last birth wasn't as calm as he was 1kg heavier, but still vaginal without any drugs. I had to do a lot more pushing. But I went home 4 hours later which was great.

This time round I have no birth plan as yet and less choices due to having twins. But if both babies are head down, I will be aiming for a drug free, vaginal birth again. The happy hormones you get from this experience are better than any drugs and can keep you going for months.
If twin A is head down and B breach I will probably opt for an epidural as they will try to turn B manually, and if they can't they will grab him by the feet and yank him out.
If twin A is breach it's automatically a C-section. So we'll wait and see what position they get into.

#13 -Moxie-

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

Ive never had a birth prefer plan as such, but I  prefer as little intervention as possible. But in the end Im happy with anything that will deliver a healthy baby and mother.

Dettol - please dont just dismiss all training staff. I had a trainee midwife with my last birth (she had attended quite a few births before hand) and she was absolutely brilliant.

Ive never done any of those birthing courses or really read any "styles" of birthing, but she suggested the breathing techniques and coached me through. It was my most painful and longest pushing stage, but that was more to do with DD3s positioning than anything else. It was also the birth with the least amount of damage.

I know you dont want everyone peeking at your privates, but in reality, just about everyone in the hospital wants a look for one reason or another. And this is coming from a very shy and introverted person.

#14 Meep

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

I'm aiming for a homebirth. I haven't conceived (heh) a proper birth plan yet, but from my reading and thinking, I know I have a lot of work cut out for me in that regard. I am with CMWA and have chosen a "back up hospital" so I do want to have a "plan" thought out for how to handle the interactions at the hospital.

I am by no means against medicine, but I don't think that most births are a medical issue (they just tend to have minor medical issues associated with them). I've been told that "there is no award for going natural" and I find that a little off-putting, since it is not as though I think torturing myself is a great way to start my life with my baby! My research has shown that in low-risk situations, intervention tends to breed intervention, and with that comes complications. So I am happy to have a midwife to help me understand the pain and keep tabs on my and the baby's health so that I can focus on birthing.

I still have questions about the "potential" to be transferred to a hospital, such as in regards to pain relief, a long birth, etc. Apparently first time births often need to be transferred to the hospital. I've been swimming and walking to try to keep fit because apparently that is important. I've seen that adrenaline tends to slow down birth so I hope to stay home and calm and have access to a birthing pool.

As time goes on, I've gone from being terrified of the idea of giving birth to curious and actually kindof excited. I still get nervous, but reading "Having a great birth in Australia" [1] helped to open my eyes to the idea that it isn't all horror and tension. I worry about having to defend myself against intervention heavy doctors, but I've been communicating with my scientist husband about it and he agrees with me about the outcomes so I hope that he will be able to help assert our wishes. And I'm becoming more inwardly confident about this whole baby making thing.

[1] http://www.bookworm.com.au/Book/Having-a-G...0975167434.aspx

#15 newyearbaby

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (-Moxie- @ 03/02/2012, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know you dont want everyone peeking at your privates, but in reality, just about everyone in the hospital wants a look for one reason or another. And this is coming from a very shy and introverted person.

See, I only had one midwife at a time with each delivery. 2 in total at each, so not many people had a look at all. And I'm not shy, I'm Scandanavian. Lucky cos this time around with twins there will be no less than 8 medical staff in the room at a time. Sometimes up to 12. Goodbye dignity, hello world!!

#16 newyearbaby

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (Meep @ 03/02/2012, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been told that "there is no award for going natural"

There is no award, but there certainly are "rewards". PM me if you want to discuss further. If you are having a low-risk birth and feel confident there are certainly some techniques you can use to help it all along in a natural way.

#17 Meep

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (newyearbaby @ 03/02/2012, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is no award, but there certainly are "rewards". PM me if you want to discuss further. If you are having a low-risk birth and feel confident there are certainly some techniques you can use to help it all along in a natural way.

I am not sure what the problem is... I will look into it but so far nothing I've tried is working, but I can't seem to send you a message... it keeps saying my message needs to be more than 3 characters despite my mini wall of text, so there seems to be some kind of bug in interpreting my input? Anyway, I'll keep trying...

#18 Alvarywinters

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

Oddly enough when I had my MC labor, with 3-4 people around all the time, it really didn't bother me! I was pretty resigned to the fact that things were happening that people needed to look at, they didn't care what they were looking at (another day at the office) and not a lot I could do about it anyway!
I think it will be another matter when it comes to breastfeeding...it's a time between me and my bub and I really don't want some semi-stranger sticking their nose in unless I need it. Will be interesting.

Now that i've had a chat with a midwife and been given some more info, will start to write up a birth plan draft...will post it when I'm done!

#19 Etta

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

My birth plan took into account things like the possibility of caesarean or the baby being taken away for observation (in which case I wanted my partner to stick with the baby and not let it out of his sight). Neither of these happened, but I guess you need to be prepared for all eventualities so that you can still stick to your 'plan' even if things go pear shaped.

#20 newyearbaby

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:56 AM

Alvarywinters - the breastfeeding thing is an interesting point. The experience I had in the postnatal ward after my first son was born, is the reason I wanted to get home straight away after the next one was born.
We were having trouble getting the feeding 100%. A midwife came in and grabbed my boob, and rammed my babies head into it. He wouldn't feed! I was so degraded. She grumbled at me and said "he needs formula".
I complained to another midwife who wasn't assigned to me and she helped me to attach him properly and showed us the footballer position. He fed for about 5 minutes. I discharged myself as soon as I could. We got home a couple of hours later and I went upstairs and sat in my bedroom on the armchair I had laboured in and fed my boy. He fed beautifully for 15 minutes and we never had a feeding problem again.

#21 MickeyBoo

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (Megan! @ 02/02/2012, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be honest I am PETRIFIED about the birth & one of the first emotions I felt (along with joy) when I found out I was expecting was COMPLETE AND UTTER TERROR!!!!!
The less I think about it the better.

When I met my "mother in law" (not married but she calls herself this after 10 yrs of being in a relationship), for either the first time or soon afterwards, she announced that she used to be a midwife and if I was to have a baby with my partner she would be present during labour and delivery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AGGGGH nightmare!

I was 19 at the time and absolutely FREAKED OUT!

I am NOT the sort of person who likes to have an audience during times of vulnerability & therefore my plan is to have my partner present. I made it clear to her when I was 19 and ever since that she will not be present or welcome during labour & delivery. I am considering my mum being present during labour but it depends on how I'm feeling - this is my first & I have no idea how I will react.

Apart from that I am pro epidural & anything else I require I'll just take as I need it but nothing unnecessary.

I quite liked many of the points that you had in your plan MickeyBoo & although I don't want a formal written plan, I will make sure my partner is in charge of making sure my needs/wants/desires are met. eg. the photos, ice/water, showering etc.

I understand completely, I felt the same with my first, and not just with the labour and birthing part, but the breastfeeding too, I did not want to flash my boobs around my MIL or even my own mum and the fact that my IL's were literally on my doorstep at 6am every morning for 2 weeks after I had DS made it really hard for me to just relax and be comfortable with feeding bub. It caused a lot of tension and even though I spoke to them and DH spoke to them it was my own mum who had to step in and tell them to back off and give me some space. I have a feeling it's going to be like that again this time simply because bub is a girl, they are already going way over the top with anything to do with bub.

I didn't have anyone except my partner with me for my first two, I hated the thought of anyone being in there and seeing me go through all of that, I like privacy! I accidentally asked my sister if she wanted to be there for my third, fully thinking that she would back out (because she backs out of everything), but she was so excited and did come along, I was really apprehensive about it, but it worked out way better than I imagined, I told her she had to stay above the waist and no photos of him coming out, or my lower half, she got a lot of great photos, and she did get two of him on the way out, which I haven't let anyone see, but they are taken from her standing near my head so you can't see much and at the end of the day that doesn't bother me. I asked my mum to come to the 4th birth and have asked her to come to this one too. It was different having her there, she was more supportive than my sister and knew all the right things to say, and when to back off etc. DH didn't handle the last birth too well either because I had a massive clot behind my placenta and it was a bit full on for a while, so when he felt overwhelmed my mum stepped up and I was grateful that she was there.

I guess it's a bit of the more kids you have the more you don't care about people seeing things, I had three midwives and DH in the room with me when I had DS, and with all the dramas with DD's birth there were about 10 people in the room and I couldn't care less, but if my MIL or even my mum had been there as well it would have bothered me. It would still really bother me now if my MIL wanted to be there too!

The actual labour bothers me everytime, I know it's going to hurt and I know that I'm limited with pain relief options so I have to be able to just get through it. The one piece of advice I can give you is to learna s much as you can about positions, and most importantly practice breathing. I know it sounds strange, but it's the one thing that I knew I could control, everything else was out of my hands. It really helped to have one thing that I could focus on and breathing blocks everything else out, almost like a self hypnosis. It also helped with being able to use the gas effectively as you need to be able to concentrate and maintain long slow deep breaths, and when the pain hits you tend to tense up and take more shallow breaths.

Etta Planning for a C-Sec was the one thing I didn't include in my birth plan, I haven't had to have one yet, although came close twice, and I guess I figured that if I had a C-Sec there weren't that many options that were available to me anyway, it was all out of my hands. Bit of denial too I think, if I don't plan for it it won't happen LOL Tounge1.gif

Edited by MickeyBoo, 05 February 2012 - 09:11 AM.

#22 Alvarywinters

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (newyearbaby @ 05/02/2012, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alvarywinters - the breastfeeding thing is an interesting point. The experience I had in the postnatal ward after my first son was born, is the reason I wanted to get home straight away after the next one was born.
We were having trouble getting the feeding 100%. A midwife came in and grabbed my boob, and rammed my babies head into it. He wouldn't feed! I was so degraded. She grumbled at me and said "he needs formula".
I complained to another midwife who wasn't assigned to me and she helped me to attach him properly and showed us the footballer position. He fed for about 5 minutes. I discharged myself as soon as I could. We got home a couple of hours later and I went upstairs and sat in my bedroom on the armchair I had laboured in and fed my boy. He fed beautifully for 15 minutes and we never had a feeding problem again.

Yup, this is exactly what I picture in my head! I have had enough to do with animals that I know sticking your nose in and trying to 'help' just makes things harder and more stressful for mum and bub. I have been around thousands of animal new mum and bubs in my farm life and have seen maybe a dozen have any trouble...and that's either because the baby had a deformed head/mouth or mum didn't want anything to do with bub.
Sure, there is every chance me or bub will have trouble...I'm not afraid to ask for help if I need it, but until then it's best for both bub and me to relax and let nature do its thing.
So far the midwives I have met seem pretty cool and not too pushy...but things change during the event lol

haha, my mother often tells me about when my sister and I were born...both times the staff were terrified of her...usually very meek, she turned into a grouchy bossy independent woman when she was in hospital with us. She knew how she wanted things, was confident and didn't want anyone touching her little bubs! She was asked to leave the room when they had to do my heel prick, they were afraid she was going to hit them roll2.gif
Oh, can you imagine what would have happened if someone had tried to handle her boobs! roll2.gif

I'm hoping for a happy medium...not too scary but able to be firm when I need to...that'll be a change, I'm usually not very assertive. Fingers crossed!

#23 Alvarywinters

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

Ok, first draft...pretty happy with it so far...big thanks to MickeyBoo, who's plan this is based on biggrin.gif

BIRTH PLAN

I understand that not everything will work the way that I would prefer and that circumstances change in an instant, however these are the options that I would like to try and work with and I am open to things going differently to what's expected..

Name: ***
Partner: ***
Support Person: *** (mother)
Blood type: O negative
Allergies: None
Second pregnancy, first baby.
Due: 06/06/2012

SUPPORT PERSON
- My husband and my mother will be my only support persons
- When I cannot be asked or do not give a clear answer, I would like my partner to be asked. I would also like any of my mother’s suggestions to be taken into account.

PREFERENCES
- To have cold bottled water available to drink.
- I would like a few pictures of the birth and of my baby straight after birth.
- I would like the lights to be dim for the labour and birth
- I would like to wear my own clothing

PAIN RELIEF
- I would like to be able to use the shower in the early stages
- I would like to be able to move around and try different positions
- I would like to use a hot pack or hot water bottle
- I would like to be able to use the gas first
- If needed, I would then like pethidine to be offered before anything else
- I would like to avoid having an epidural.
- I would like support with my pain management and help to stretch out time between pain relief requests. If / when I go through a ‘lost and scared’ stage, I would like to be supported through this rather than receiving more pain relief.

OTHER LABOUR PREFERENCES
- I would prefer not to be induced.
- I would prefer to tear naturally, rather than have an episiotomy
- I would prefer limited monitoring, however understand that it is sometimes necessary. I would mainly like to be able to move into different positions and not be stuck on my back for long periods of time
- I would prefer that any cannulas to be put into my left arm if possible
- I would like to use a mirror to see baby crowning
- I would prefer to delay cutting the cord until the cord stops pulsing
- I would prefer if my husband cut the cord.

AFTER BIRTH
- I would like to be given the opportunity to pass the placenta naturally if there are no complications. I would like an injection to assist if I have not passed the placenta after 45 minutes.
- I would prefer to hold my baby while I deliver the placenta
- I would like to room-in
- I would like to stay with my baby at all times. If this is not possible, I would like my partner to be with him/her
- I would like to use my own baby clothes and blankets.
- If all is ok with baby and myself after birth I would prefer an early discharge.

FEEDING BABY
- I wish to breastfeed.
- I would like as much quiet time as possible for skin-to-skin contact and to give my baby the chance to feed on its own.
- I would rather not be offered assistance with breastfeeding. I will request assistance if I have trouble.
- If all else fails I would at least like to give my baby the colostrum.

CESAREAN
- I would like cesarean to be the last option
- I would like to have everything explained to me and my support people very clearly
- I would like to be awake during the cesarean
- I would like my partner and mother to be with me during the cesarean

IN AN EMERGANCY
- I would like to breastfeed if possible, or pump breast milk if baby needs to be taken away for care
- I would like my partner and I to accompany baby if transferred to another hospital

SPECIAL NEEDS
- I am very sensitive to perfumes, synthetic pads, toilet paper, some creams etc. I would like to supply my own or to have a sensitivity test done first where possible.
- I have trouble with my knees when kneeling, standing or squatting for extended periods of time. It can be unpredictable, so I will try to keep staff informed of any knee pain or difficulty I am having.
- I am lactose intolerant.

TESTS / INJECTIONS
- I would like baby to be given vitamin K orally rather than as an injection
- I would like baby NOT to be given the Hep B vaccination, will wait until the 2 month vaccinations
- I would prefer as many first week tests to be done before discharge as it is quite a long drive for us

Saw an awesome recommendation...take a disposable camera with the hospital bag, in case the digital fails! That's deff on the remember-to-take list

#24 last~one

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

Your birth plan sounds great Alvarywinters original.gif

I have never been aware that you can pass the placenta with no injection?
Ive always been given the injection straight away to contract again...

Id love to be able to walk around and rock often in labor to help gravity bring on bub, but my legs always seem to give way and I have to lie down, usually resulting in bub taking longer.
Last birth the midwives and doctor made me use the stirrups, I found these really uncomfortable sad.gif

OOhhh, I love the first cuddles wink.gif such a special time for bonding, I cant wait!!!! bring on 18 weeks!!!!! x

#25 Alvarywinters

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

I started a topic about how to pass the placenta
http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...60016&st=10
To see what everyone's thought on it are. It's funny, I was surprised to learn that there was an injection, kinda threw me lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly caf goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.