Gestational Diabetes #64

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
126 replies to this topic

#26 ssj

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

Thanks MickeyBoo and Surprizzzed!

Scan was great, got to see his little face. Apparently he is tracking at about the 50-60 percentile, so nice and average. I'm 35 weeks and he is 2.7 kilos. I can't see him cracking 4kg, his sisters were 4.3 and 4.2 kg, so it looks like he'll be my smallest.

Clinic went well, it's just chaos there. Even the reception ladies don't look forward to Tuesdays. The poor doctors and midwives and others don't get a lunch break most Tuesdays b/c of the number of people. That probably contributes to them being happy to see me in a fortnight, rather than a week. Which totally suits me. I was there for 4.5 hours today. Very thankful for the friend who dropped the 4yo at school , and the other friend who had the 2yo at her house for the morning.

Better go prepare the burgers for dinner. No white bread roll for me, but some chargrilled veg on the side.

Very much looking forward to lots of hot buttered turkish bread and banana muffins after this one is born!

#27 UsPlus3Girls2Boys

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

Hi, I posted this in the pregnancy section but thought you ladies my know abit more then other.

I had my 1 hour test last week and it came back just over the cut off so i have to go back and have a 2 hour test, Because it was JUST over is there less chance of me actually having GD? And could the 2 pieces of toast with Vegemite affected the result as i only had it and hour before i went for the drink i Also had 2 mouth fulls of Breakfast juice before realising that i should be drinking it?

Thank you if you can Help.

#28 surprizzzed

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

Excellent ssj!

Tuesday is diabetes day at my hospital too original.gif

OB was happy with how I'm going.  All good so far.  But I have 14.5 weeks to go.

#29 ssj

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hi UsPlus2Girls2Boys,

I wish I had some answers for you! I thought it was ok to eat and drink normally before the one hour test? It's only the 2 hour one where you have to fast. Good luck! Hope your 2 hour levels are good.

ssj

#30 surprizzzed

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

How did you go UsPlus2Girls2Boys?

How are you going with your readings ssj?

I am wondering how sleeping during the day and skipping a meal affects blood sugar levels.  I went for a nap after morning tea and skipped lunch, then had a big afetrnoon tea (late lunch?) (3 exchanges) and got a high reading of 7.5.  This is the first high reading for ages.

#31 UsPlus3Girls2Boys

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

Surprizzzed - I go for the test Friday morning, I couldn't get in before then, Ill get my results next Monday at my Hospital appointment,Hoping it comes back fine so i can go down to Low Risk midwife care for the rest of my pregnancy.Thank you for asking, Ill update you when i know my results.

#32 surprizzzed

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

I have noticed that a few times I have had green tea and my levels were lower than I expected. So today I intentionally had a cup straight after dinner and sure enough my levels were much lower than I would normally expect ie. under 5.

So I googled and sure enough I found references to green tea lowering blood sugar levels.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a good idea to have green tea regularly to control levels or are there other side effects? I only have about one cup a week currently but would be keen to have it more often if it is 'safe'.

#33 MickeyBoo

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

I have heard that it can lower your BSL's too, I'm not a huge fan of the taste and prefer the White Tea which does the same thing and is a little higher in antioxidents etc as it is less processed than green tea. It tastes a little smoother and not quite as bitter as green tea can end up tasting after a while.

They both have caffiene in them but you'd need to drink 4 cups a day to start having any adverse affect, and according to this link ( http://www.babycenter.com.au/pregnancy/nut...greenteaexpert/ ) in excess amounts it can block the absorption of folic acid, but I imagine you'd have to be drinking bucket loads of the stuff.

I'm up to giving it a try though and see if it helps out too! My after dinner readings have been creeping up so I'll get some at shopping at try it out to see if it has much difference.

#34 surprizzzed

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

Have you tried it M?

I experimented with green tea at lunch and dinner yesterday and am convinced that it works for me!!!  However, I cannot tolerate much caffeine, so ended up having heart palpitations during the night!!!!  Mind you I also had some of the sugar free Atkins chocolate which I guess also contains caffeine, plus 2 x decaf latte's during the day.  It all adds up!

Today I only had the green tea with dinner and had a low reading so am now convinced!  

So, I wonder how this works?  The carbs just don't get converted to sugar???  Must do some more research!

#35 PleaseBeAdvised

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

ARGH need to vent and feel this is the best place to do it  mad.gif

I haven't posted in a while but since that time I have been placed on insulin before bed (12 units) in an attempt to get my fasting levels down. This is working  tthumbs.gif HOWEVER my day time levels are out of control.

Well, out of control is probably an exaggeration: I am getting readings of above 7 for approx 2 meals in every 3 days. What is so annoying about it is the following:

*During my good management phase I was able to collect meals which appeared good for BSL. These high readings are coming from previously 'dependable' meals
*I am still exercising 45 minutes + per day

sad.gif

Today I had 60g of pasta with cheese and a salad for dinner - previously dependable meal - went for a walk for 45 minutes, then got a reading of 7.5.

I suppose I am so frustrated because I can't identify the triggers for these high readings, and my meal choices are getting smaller and smaller.

My endo has said it is part and parcel of "getting more pregnant" but it is SO FRUSTRATING to feel like you are getting on top of it then having a psycho reading out of nowhere.

I will be trying the green tea suggestion above.

#36 surprizzzed

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

Oh Chiara - I feel for you.  I understand how frusrating it must be!  

Give the green tea a go!  I have been doing a bit of research and have found a few references to it lowering BSL.

Hang in there!  And let us know how you go!

And feel free to vent on here anytime  wink.gif

#37 MickeyBoo

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

I understand completely ChiaraB It is frustrating isn't it? It seems really up and down when it comes to food for me too, what's fine one week is out the next etc and I guess there's a lot of underlying hormonal factors that come into play that can really stuff things around.

Exercise can actually raise your BSL's, perhaps try exercising just after a 'testing' time, instead of right after a meal and see if that changes things? I second the green tea, I have been having the White Tea infused with Vanilla at arvo tea time and have noticed a small drop in my after dinner levels and it seems my overnight levels have come down a little too, so its worth a shot. Raspberry Leaf can also help to lower BSL's.

As hard as it is, sometimes more insulin before meals is just necessary, I guess the positive thing in all of that is that you know that you are doing the right thing diet wise and that just leaves the problem being hormonally which honestly you have no control over whatsoever.

Your Dr is right, the more pregnant you get the harder it will be, and there is a big hormone surge around the 26-28 week mark and also another at the 31-33 mark, which can play havoc with your BSL's regardless of how controlled your diet is. But at around 36 weeks the levels tend to stabilise and sometimes a decrease in insulin is required.

Hang in there you're doing really well!

#38 PleaseBeAdvised

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:02 AM

Thank you for your responses ladies, it really means a lot.

I will definintely try the green tea method after meals and will be keeping the exercise up. Shall let you know if there is any improvement, but I am pretty sure this is going to get harder before it gets easier!

Bring on 36 weeks!

#39 surprizzzed

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

You might want to try the green tea before your meal or with your food, before the carbs start being digested. Not that I am any expert.

Also I find that my levels can be higher if I am stressed or hot.  And directly after exercise.

#40 ssj

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the wisdom and advice here. I'm one week out from meeting my baby, and so can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm booked for a c/s on the 19th (b/c of my 2 previous emergency c/s', not b/c of the GD). The endo was really happy with me last week and said I could go to testing 3 days a week, so yay! Although I've become used to eating this way (less carbs, less junk etc) it will be nice not to have to think about food so much. My husband has promised to bring me chocolate in hospital. Wll be interesting to see how much sugar etc I will actually want to eat afterwards, having been used to not eating it this whole time. But I think I'm looking forward to Easter eggs more than ever before!

Good luck for all the rest of you!

#41 MickeyBoo

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

That's great news SSJ! I hope everything goes smoothly for you, the 19th is not far away at all, I wish time would speed up for me too laughing2.gif still about 10 weeks to go original.gif Do you know what you're having?

Let us know how everything goes with the delivery and enjoy your chocolate!! That's one thing I'm a bit sad to be missing out on, I'm not normally a choc person but I do treat myself to a Terrys Choc Orange at Easter time, it'll have to wait now!

Good Luck
Mic

#42 Chelara

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

Looks like I finally get to belong to a special group. Got the news today that my 2 hour result came through on the borderline at 8 so theyre sending me to the diabetic clinic at Nepean, has anyone been there? I am not familiar with Nepean hospital at all and it will be a pain unless the clinic has out of hours appointments.

So what am I in for apart from a healthier diet?

#43 MickeyBoo

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:53 AM

Hi Chelara, welcome original.gif although understandably it's not a group you want to join laughing2.gif

As for what to expect, based on my experiences I would say that you will see a dietician, diabetes edcuator & endocrinologist and they should discuss with you in detail about what's expected with sugar levels, diet options and possible further treatment down the track with metformin or insulin.

They *should* get you to buy a BSL machine at a local NDSS supported chemist, and you will need to start testing yourself, most of the time it's on waking, and two hours after each meal. They will review your GTT results and decide whether they will give you a trial period with diet changes first, that is the more common approach. You'll need to have your levels come back under a certain amount (normally 5.5 on waking and 7.0 after meals). How they interpret the information seems to change, for me if i get three higher readings after one particular meal in one week then my insulin gets bumped up.

You can look forward to sizing scans towards the end to check bubs health and growth, and placenta function. If you end up on insulin the general consensus is that you will be induced around your due date or maybe a little earlier, but again that changes with each hospital and their own policies. If you're still controlling things by diet then they normally let you go over as long as bub is healthy.

As for hospital appointments and Nepean I have no idea sorry, my public hospital has one morning a week for the Diabetes Clinic, we see everyone we need to see on the one morning, but there is no flexibility with appointment times or days. Gets a little frustrating but it's not for long original.gif

HTH! and good luck
Mic

#44 Chelara

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for that mickeyboo, I am hoping for a vbac so would love to not need insulin, I'm guessing it will make it harder for me to achieve a natural birth. My mw did say that at this point I'm still fine but need to see my Ob in three weeks who I guess will lay down the law for me.

It's a pain going to nepean as my hospital is obviously too small to need a diabetes clinic, even though I am closer to black town or westmead. I was hoping it was a one off visit.

Testing bsl sounds like a lotta fun! Especially over Easter. Anyway as you say it isn't for long and I am going to try my best to sort this out through diet alone so will be strict on myself.

Thanks for the info.

#45 Chelara

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

So what happens if my bsl is quite low? I only just got the bsl reader and had my session with the educator and dietician. I ate my lunch, large serve of San Choy bow with rice noodles and a plum. 2 hours later dud my reading, I was hungry, shaky and dizzy by this time. My reading was 2.9. No idea if this is too low or acceptable or why I'd be having a low reading if I do have diabetes.

#46 MickeyBoo

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

Yep that's a low reading! Could be a few things, main culprit being that there weren't enough Low GI carbs in the meal to sustain you for the two hours after the meal, Higher GI carbs will burn more quickly and leave you at risk of getting a low.

When you do get a low like that, it's best to have one of the following:

What to do

Have some sugar quickly such as:
 5 -7 jelly beans
 1 glass of soft drink (not diet)
 1 glass of fruit juice
 2-4 teaspoons of sugar or honey
If you don’t feel better in 5-10 minutes have some more sugar.

Then eat some carbohydrate (starchy) food such as:
 1 piece of fruit
 1 glass milk
 1 sandwich
 2-4 dry biscuits
or
 If it is time for your meal, have it immediately

here is a fact sheet that has a large amount of information that you might find helpful...  http://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/PageFi...d%20tablets.pdf

It's perfectly normal to have sugar lows when you are diabetic, a lot of how your body processes food changes so if you're not eating Low Gi, (or longer sustaining foods) then you will end up with a spike and a dramatic drop, instead of a gradual spike and slow drop. If you go back a page or so in this thread I linked a few pages of info about Low GI and spikes too.

#47 Chelara

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

Thanks mickeyboo, I had another low reading this morning 2.1 after breakfast but made sure I had plenty of low gi carbs at lunch and got 6.2 so I think I need to try harder to get more and lower gi carbs in. Will read the links now, thanks.

Eta mickeyboo I am not taking any tablets or insulin, that link you posted suggests low blood sugar will only come about under these circumstances.

Edited by Chelara, 20 March 2012 - 02:56 PM.

#48 MickeyBoo

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

Yep its a lot more common while on tablets and insulin and the side effects of a low are a lot more severe when on medication. I know that I've had heaps of lows when I'm not on medication as well, its something that can definitely happen, but it is well worth talking to your Dr about, you may be able to redo the GTT and see if you get a better result etc.

#49 PleaseBeAdvised

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

Sometimes I wish I had lows: absolutely dying for a jellybean. wacko.gif

#50 Chelara

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

Thank you Mickey! That's great to hear. I am speaking with my educator tomorrow so will see what she says. I would love a chance to redo the gtt if that's at all possible, currently my hospital's policy means that my baby will go into special care after the birth regardless of how well he is. I would rather keep him with me especially if I don't have diabetes. Oh well it is interesting seeing what my bsl are doing so don't mind the monitoring just that I Don't want my bub separated from me sad.gif.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Dying mum saves baby with last breath

Dying from a gunshot wound, Jessica Arrendale used the last of her energy to hide her baby from her killer.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.