Exercise in EARLY pregnancy
how much can I do?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OMG Finally!!

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:34 PM

Hi everyone...

What are your personal opinions on exercise during pregnancy (especially very early....)

And by exercise I'm meaning walking fast and occasional jogging... but I was supposed to start a boxing class on Monday?? worried about overheating etc?  What do you think?

Ta!!

me- 33 DH 29 DS 4.5 Preg 4 weeks!!

#2 Spring Chickadee

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

Would you consider it as strenuous as you are used to doing fairly regularly, or is exercise of this insensitity a new thing?

If its usual for you I would go for it, it will keep your baby  in a healthy state as you continue to support your pregnancy.

#3 annsam

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:22 AM

Raised temp / heartbeat is dangerous if prolonged.  If this is the exercise you normally do then I'd keep doing it.

#4 JungleFlower2012

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:23 AM

Id probably avoid the boxing. But going for walks ect is fine original.gif If its not new, its ok original.gif

Im going to take up walking again - i stopped pretty much when i started working from home because i didnt have the time. But now im pregnant im taking the time for me.
Im also going to start swimming and yoga original.gif

Stevie original.gif

#5 CubaLulu

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:38 AM

I suppose it depends on your fitness levels too. They do say if it's an activity you've done regularly before getting UTD then it's fine to continue with it. However, if it's new and your body isn't used to it, then it's not recommended. I know if I were to do a boxing class right now, my temp would soar and I'd stay hot for quite a while (I'm not super fit though!!) so there is no way I'd be doing it. I'm just walking with my dog and DH, and doing some light swimming. I think as long as you keep up what you are used to doing and don't exert yourself to the point of sustaining a temp over 38.7 for an extended period, you'll be fine.

#6 geishagirl

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:10 AM

I agree with PPs - not recommended to start anything new, especially in the first trimester so I would give boxing a miss. Walking and light jogging should be ok if you are used to it but go easier than normal, keep well hydrated and try to avoid getting too hot.

I am still doing yoga (have been doing it for over 8 years now though) and won't stop, although I am modifying my practice and taking it much easier than normal. My yoga class is also held in a slightly heated room (not Bikram or anything, so not intense heat) so I do need to be careful but it saves my sanity, so carrying on for now or until any nausea or other physical preg symptoms kick in!

#7 Bluenomi

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

You can keep going at the rate you were pre pregnancy but don't start doing more. So if you've been boxing already it's not a problem but if it isn't something you've done before, don't start.

#8 Kazz33

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:28 AM

I wondered about this too. I am fairly active - gym usually 6 days a week. But now i am scared to run or bounce around as i'm scared i will dislodge it! I know it is completely irrational & it won't happen that easily but ive waited so long for this bub that i dont want to do anything to jeopardise it.

I have heard you're not supposed to get your heart rate too high, does anyone know what you're not sposed to go over?

#9 CubaLulu

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

Kezz ~ I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that you want to stay under about 140 bpm... and you don't want your temp to be elevated above 38.7 (or thereabouts) for any extended period of time. So I imagine if you are active and fit already, then a light jog would probably be fine for you. They say that as long as it's an activity you were doing regularly BEFORE pregnancy, then it is safe to continue it during pregnancy, just turn down the intensity and make sure you don't over heat.

#10 Kazz33

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:48 PM

Thanks Cuba, mite have to dig my heart rate monitor again. I'm sattered i won't be able to do body step anymore. Its my favourite class, but apparently too dangerous sad.gif. I actually nearly fell ova this morning just walking, scared the crap outta me!

#11 Lucinne

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (Kazz33 @ 02/02/2012, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wondered about this too. I am fairly active - gym usually 6 days a week. But now i am scared to run or bounce around as i'm scared i will dislodge it! I know it is completely irrational & it won't happen that easily but ive waited so long for this bub that i dont want to do anything to jeopardise it.

I have heard you're not supposed to get your heart rate too high, does anyone know what you're not sposed to go over?

Hey there
I exercise a lot too and i haven't changed anything about my routine. I keep an eye out for overheating, make sure I'm always comfortable with where my heart rate is at, but if you're already fit, keep excersing. It's great for you and for bub.

#12 kimliz

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

I usually workout at gym about 3 times a week and I will continue as long as I feel well. I'm thinking i will be giving Zumba and she bam a miss though, even though I'm probably being irrational I also feel like I don't want to dislodge bubba with all the rigorous hip movements and jumping. I could just tone them right down but then i would be letting everyone know my secret, once its obvious i migt give it a go again and take it really easy. Till then I'm going to stick to cardio equipment such as treadmill, bike and cross trainer. I wussed out on the exercise with my 2 pregnancies, I was pretty nauseous and very anxious, will be nice to keep it up is time and perhaps not end up with as much baby weight to lose.

#13 Vulli

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

I am 7 wks atm and have had spotting the whole time, so I havent been doing anything but walk the dog sad.gif boring!

#14 Nalina

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

Well i was doing cardio fitness workouts twice a week, and then soccer, all versions like indoor, outdoor and twilight (half field)... so i think they r all a bit strenuous for my liking n abit rough....

So what can i do?

#15 hannahlikestkd

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

I train and instruct in taekwondo and have no intention of quitting either any time soon - I've been doing it regularly for 17 years so it's not exactly a shock to the system!
Other than avoiding sparring I don't think it's going to be a problem original.gif

#16 littleboepeep

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

I when to the GYM 7 days a week, up to 3 weeks before I was due, I just did what I usually did which was riding and walking. However I did also mow the lawns the week I was due lol, as long as you don't over do it, should be ok.

#17 JulesMc

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

Can anyone help? When exercising what's the best way to make sure you don't overheat? Is a bit of a sweat ok?
Also is the fact that you can still talk whilst exercising a good sign your not doing too much?

I just started a beginners yoga course three wks ago. I just told my instructor about the pg - I'm 6 wks. She told me bending and twisting is no good. Won't speak to her properly until tomorrow morning does anyone know why? If I have already done these positions is it ok? For example do they increase the chance of MC? If so, obviously I haven't MC so no damage done.

#18 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

I was wondering this too.  I am still TTC but have recently stated Ashtanga yoga again.  All the advice I have read on yoga says you cant do twists, inversions, strong bends, any abdominal work or anything with where your head drops below your heart.  That doesn't leave much.

I really enjoy yoga and would like to continue doing it.  I dont think you can sit on your bum for 9 months eating tim tams and then do the equivalent or running a marathon and expect it to be trouble free.  Keeping healthy and fit has to be a good thing.

I would love to hear what people who have continued yoga through pregnancy have to say.  I understand some teachers wont let you continue due to liability issues.

#19 Kazz33

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

I was doing Body Balance (a Les Mills class), a combination of yoga, tai chi & pilates & was advised not to do it between weeks 9 - 14. Can't remember exactly what the issue was though. After that though it is completely fine to do, with some modifications of course.

I think it's in the 2nd tri you're not supposed to lie flat on your back (for crunches, chest & tri in pump), as it places too much pressure on your spinal cord (someone correct me if i'm wrong) & can cause you to faint.

I really wanted to start back running as i love how my legs slimmed down when i was doing it regularly. But as i havent done much for probably 6 or so months i don't think it would be a good idea. Just have to stick with walking i spose.

Jules - I would say sweating is fine. Sweating is your body's way of cooling itself down. I sweat really easily, even moreso now i'm pregnant & my HR rises quicker too. Yep generally speaking, if you can still talk you wouldn't be  overdoing it. I guess you really need to just listen to your body. I was doing jump squats this morning but had to take it down a notch as i got dizzy.

#20 JulesMc

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

Thanks ladies! Love getting others views and opinions!

I am just stressing as I obviously don't want to do bubby any harm....

I googled yoga in pregnancy and got a mix of things you can and can't do. I believe that the bending and twisting compresses the uterus and/or baby and is therefore not a good thing...  Hoping that at 5 wks (last sat) it would not have done too much as bubby was just a tiny mass of cells ... And besides its done now I can only move forward.

Happy to get more views.
original.gif

#21 Miss Lily

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

I'm 6 weeks and just started back at the gym today.  Hoping to do low impact cardio 3-4 times a week and a couple of days of weights.  I had some spotting the past week and didn't want to aggravate it but now that its (thankfully) stopped I feel like it will be ok to get back into exercising.  

I was gymming pretty regularly before conceiving, I had lost about 13 kilos the past 6 months and was halfway to my goal weight but I know that I need to put a hold on that now.  If I can just not gain more than say 8 kilos max I will be very happy.  I'm already overweight so I’m aiming for just baby and baby related weight gain not from low activity and different eats.  Wishful thinking perhaps!  Let’s see how I go the next 8 months! - but it was SUCH hard work losing the weight that I did the past few months and I don't want to go back to square one again.  So I think exercise will be crucial for me and I'm going to try to be sensible about it but not cut it out all together.

Second + times mums, did you find that exercising throughout your previous pregnancies helped with reducing weight gain?!  Seems an obvious question, but I've had others tell me that weight gain is inevitable regardless!!  unsure.gif

#22 shellycs

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

I joined a gym 2 weeks before I found out I was pregnant and was slowly getting into it. I haven't been since but my PT friends have told me that walking on treadmill on incline is good and even light weights arent too bad. Apparently yoga is good and water aerobics as well. They told me not to overheat myself and do anything too intense so Zumba is out they said :-(

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly caf goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.