When do you stop doing swimming lessons

93 replies to this topic

#76 Kat255

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (FluffyOscar @ 29/01/2012, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think swimming lessons under the age of 3 are a waste of money.

Liam went to a term of swimming lessons at 6 months and it was great for me. I became confident holding him in the water. I won't do it with Kaylee, as I know what I am doing now. We are taking Liam into the pool often in Summer, and I plan to put him in lessons when he is older (like 5).

I like the, 'until you can swim 200m' idea, but only freestyle and breaststroke. I can't stand backstroke.

#77 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

We will do swimming lessons until they're good swimmers. I'll probably sign them up for at least a couple of years of swim club just because they learn so much more there about the strokes and really strengthen their abilities. That's what we did as kids and we could both swim 4-5 km by the time I was in grade 3.

It will mean that we can go to the beach and know that they'll be pretty much ok to come out swimming in the deeper water with me rather than just splashing around in the shallows. We'll be doing a lot of beach/river safety stuff as well so that we can be as sure as possible that when they're stupid teenagers and have escaped my beady eye, that they're water safe and can manage to be confident (and hopefully sensible) about the water.

#78 meggs10

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

Given that we live in a country surounded completely by water, I would think that swimming lessons would be up on everyones list of important things for their kids to do. Who cares about the costs. Everywhere in Australia we are exposed to water in one way or another and if your child can't swim confidently they will be at a disadvantage when they are older.

You never know when you will need your swimming skills to save your life. I was caught in a rip when I was younger and thanks to my parents making sure that I learnt how to swim well (even though I lived in the country Victoria at the time and not exposed to water very much), I was able to keep myself afloat until help could arrive. Surf Lifesavers are great people:)

So don't think that they will never need the skills to swim well because one day they might.

#79 shelly1

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

For me I have found once they learn the basics and have some confidence its all about practice. The more I take my 7 year old swimming the better she gets - she will never be in squad nor be a bronze medallion but she is one hell of a dancer LOL and thats where we like to concentrate our time and money

She did about a year of lessons from 4-5 years old and only 1 semester was helpful and that was due to the teacher. 2 of the other teachers were very average and made her hate swimming - they were young male uni students who had no idea how to relate to young children and my daughter hated going. Her favourite teacher was an older mum with school age children - my daughter did best with her.

I did take all my kids swimming from 6 months old so they developed water confidence that way. There are so many swim schools with very average uninterested instructors just willing to take your money and offer nothing in return

#80 BadCat

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (meggs10 @ 30/01/2012, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Given that we live in a country surounded completely by water, I would think that swimming lessons would be up on everyones list of important things for their kids to do.

Begging your pardon, but it's a big-ass country.  We live a long way from the beach.  We don't have a pool.  We take the kids for a swim at the local pool a couple of times a year.  We don't go to the beach.   I think we can get by just fine without forking out hundreds of dollars a year for lessons in case they ever accidentally fall several hundred miles and land in the ocean.   tongue.gif

#81 Julie3Girls

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

Given that we live in a country surounded completely by water, I would think that swimming lessons would be up on everyones list of important things for their kids to do.

I would agree with this comment if we lived on a SMALL island original.gif

In regards to how long in swimming lessons ..
Our swimming complex does the fish named swimming groups original.gif
DD1 made it as far as dolphin level at age 9 - out in the big pool doing laps of the 50m pool. Pulled her out at this point

DD2 has finished up, at Eel level at just turned 8. 45 minutes in the inside pool, doing laps, working on freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly. Learning how to do racing turns.  Pretty much constant swimming for the 45 minutes.

DD3 is having first term off. At age 5, she is tuna level, swimming freestyle, with breathing, her backstroke is good, just starting breaststroke.  She swims like a fish around our pool at home.  I do want to give her some more lessons, but during the summer term 1, I'm happy to have a break and let her practice in our pool at home.

I have no requirements of swimming 200m etc. They aren't likely to be competitive swimmers. They are comfortable in the pool. I supervise the pool. If we go to the beach, they are taught their limitations, swim between the flags etc.

Edited by Julie3Girls, 30 January 2012 - 05:08 PM.

#82 Roobear

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

My kids can stop swimming lesson when they can be pushed in fully clothed, swim 200m, tread water and then remove clothes. At my swim school, the kids are between 10 -15 when they can do this.

TBH I don't care whether my kids perfect their strokes or not, for me compulsory swimming lessons is about safety rather than anything else. I don't think by being able to swim they are immune from drowning or anything but I think it gives them a better chance than if they were weak swimmers. If they want to continue with squad etc it is up to them.

#83 meggs10

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (BadCat @ 30/01/2012, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Begging your pardon, but it's a big-ass country.  We live a long way from the beach.  We don't have a pool.  We take the kids for a swim at the local pool a couple of times a year.  We don't go to the beach.   I think we can get by just fine without forking out hundreds of dollars a year for lessons in case they ever accidentally fall several hundred miles and land in the ocean.   tongue.gif

So what if your kids move to a coastal city when they are adults and then find they are disadvantaged because they can't swim very well? or if they decide they want a job, say in the navy, where they are required to have a certain level of swimming abilities? Or they end up in a situation where they need to treat water for a long time in order to save their life?

We don't know what they are going to want to do when they are adults so as parents we need to make sure they are taught the skills that they might need so that they are not disadvantaged or endangered when they are adults.

#84 la di dah

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (meggs10 @ 31/01/2012, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So what if your kids move to a coastal city when they are adults and then find they are disadvantaged because they can't swim very well? or if they decide they want a job, say in the navy, where they are required to have a certain level of swimming abilities? Or they end up in a situation where they need to treat water for a long time in order to save their life?

We don't know what they are going to want to do when they are adults so as parents we need to make sure they are taught the skills that they might need so that they are not disadvantaged or endangered when they are adults.

That's an awful long list of skills. What you think should be on it varies hugely from parent to parent. Adults will often find they need or have an interest in something they weren't exposed to as  a kid. That's part of being an adult.

I can't say I give a dang about formal swim lessons.  shrug.gif I read the thread out of curiousity but it hasn't really changed that at all.

How can you possibly future-proof your child against all the interest they may have, careers they want to pursue, or places they want to live as an adult?

#85 tothebeach

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

DD1 is very confident with her floaties on, and getting very good at putting her face under the water.

See, in my world, this would be very odd - a 5 year old swimming with floaties and getting good at putting her head under water.  Most 5 year olds, we know can swim a pool length confidently freestyle.   A 5 year old wearing floaties would feel very self-conscious.   At 5, DS was starting nippers and would happily charge into the surf with his board to catch a wave.

So, it depends on how important the water and swimming is to your lifestyle.

ETA: His last term of swimming at 6 years, focussed on endurance - doing lap after lap for 30 mins.  Endurance was important to us too - just in case he needs it out in the surf.

Edited by tothebeach, 31 January 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#86 BadCat

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (meggs10 @ 31/01/2012, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If they move to a coastal city they may or may not go to the beach.  If they do they will have to option to improve their swimming by taking lessons.  I can't imagine it would be a disadvantage not to be able to swim just because you live in a coastal city.  My sister lives in a coastal city and never goes near the beach which is 5 minutes away.

The chances of my kids getting a job where swimming is required are so vanishingly small as to be irrelevant.  If they did, then they would have to train for the job just like everyone else.  

Should they end up in a situation where they need to tread water to survive they will be just fine.  I can, and have, taught them to tread water in about 5 minutes a a public pool, without even being in the pool with them.

For all I know they may choose to be mountain climbers when they grow up.  Should I start teaching them about survival at high altitude and get them into climbing classes now just in case?

You can throw a billion what ifs at me and I still won't see it as an essential skill.   Swimming is an optional activity not a fact of life.

#87 ~Sorceress~

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

There's also a social component. So many parties and fun days are held in pools. There's definitely an assumption that most children in our social circle can swim well enough for a pool party from year 3-4 onwards... shrug.gif

The schools around here almost ALL have an end of year fun day at a water park or pool. My DS witnessed another student (a refugee) having to be resuscitated after trying to follow the other confident swimmers over an aquacastle obstacle course sad.gif .

#88 JRA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

See, in my world, this would be very odd - a 5 year old swimming with floaties and getting good at putting her head under water. Most 5 year olds, we know can swim a pool length confidently freestyle. A 5 year old wearing floaties would feel very self-conscious. At 5, DS was starting nippers and would happily charge into the surf with his board to catch a wave

I have to agree, but it is not whether you have lessons or not.

I didn't have lessons, but at 5, I too was swimming in the surf and at the beach quite happily. That is what I think of as the norm, whether it is through lessons or through just being in the water with parents.

But what is my norm, is not everyone elses.

#89 Butterfly*77

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

DS does a class once per week and in Term 4, he will also do a class at school. We will continue him with classes until he reaches the top level and moves into a squad. Our centre is anti-floaties except for stroke correction so he never swims with any flotation device except for toys or noodles.

We have family and friends with pools so we would prefer DS to be confident long term so do not plan to take him out anytime soon.

#90 Tree Sage

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

Personally I think swimming lessons are a waste of money.
Swimming is something a parent can teach.
In my case my brothers taught me. They pushed me into the deep end and told me to swim. Fortunately I could already float and keep my head above water. After that I was confident I could swim and that was the end of my simming 'lessons'

My mother was terrified of water and never learnt to swim.
My girls are all good swimmers now. Though one of them was terrified of the water too. It took YEARS of encouragement to get her to put her head under water and trust herself to float. Now she is a confident and capable swimmer.

To the people who said they found it weird that a 5 year old wear floaties. Ever stop to think about some severe water phobias going on in the child?

Will any of them ever be olympic athletes?
Nope

Can they swim all the strokes?
Yes

Will they be able to save their lives?
Yes!

All taught without paying for one swimming lesson.

Edited by beansidhe, 01 April 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#91 KristyMum-

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:31 AM

My thinking is when they can fall or be pushed into a body of water without freaking out, and get to the edge/keep themselves safe/float/whatever until they're 'rescued' and/or competent in the sea/able to recognise hazards in the water etc.

That's when I'll say 'yep, we can stop with the lessons now', as in paid lessons, and just keep on with life lessons and experience/practice that way.

DH and I love the beach/water and the kids do too so I don't need a 'what if' because it's not that far away - we're already around water a lot.  Even if they didn't there's still school camps etc and I just like them to be prepared and able to manage if they needed to be.  Whether 'lessons' as such get them there depends on the teacher, what they're taught and how well they learn etc but I do know that me one on one with them in the pool isn't going to happen often enough at this stage, so lessons it is for now.  We went a long time with no lessons though, for a few reasons.

DD1 is aiming for her bronze medallion not too far away.
The boys don't have to do that if they don't want to, but I do want them to be as competent as possible.

Edited by KristyMum-, 24 April 2012 - 02:35 AM.

#92 sophiasmum

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

My kids only do swimming lessons in the warmer months, from the start of term 4 to the end of term 1. They have just finished, DD was nearly ready for squad, DS was just getting freestyle. They will do it again later this year, I think they just get better & better & do more complicated things. But it depends if you think it's important or not.

#93 SarDonik

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

It's our obligation to ensure our kids are decent swimmers, it's a skill that may save their life one day. e.g getting caught in a rip and having the ability to get out of it. A lot of Australians drown every year and 9/10 it boils down to poor swimming ability. Getting your child to the point they can doggie paddle 5m to the side of the pool isn't teaching them to swim and probably isn't going to help them much if they do get in trouble.

Edited by SarDonik, 24 April 2012 - 11:23 AM.

#94 unicycle

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

Another family that has swimmers who learnt without swim lessons ( some remedial ones were required when school lessons from an uninterested coach resulted in strokemtechnique issues I could not correct grrr) but I did take them regularly to the pool. Call it an unschooling approach to learn to swim. Lots of games I made up, with a view that the game was leading towards a new skill.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Outrage over baby's icy challenge

A man has been reported to child protective services after taking the ALS ice bucket challenge with his 10-month-old granddaughter.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.