what can i expect from wisdom teeth removal **Updated Post 24**

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Iliketoflounce

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

Im on the waiting list for my four impacted wisdom teeth the dentist said i should have them out by the end of the year and i know it is day surgery i was wondering what happens and how much pain it is?

Edited by njs4dks, 01 May 2012 - 06:54 PM.

#2 Kristen_

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

Hello, I had mine out a few years ago, they give you lots of pain killers and it's tricky to eat. I fainted from all the pain killers and not eating properly, just don't let the pain killers wear off. You will find the pain is like really bad aching! And it will hurt to chew properly for a while just avoid the back of your mouth whilst chewing.
I personally was pretty ugly recovered after 2 weeks but the wounds are sore for weeks if you hit them! Good luck

#3 kjl

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hi,

I had my 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed several years ago.  The surgery itself wasn't too bad but I did find the recovery particularly uncomfortable.  The swelling was the most painful part for me.  I used a lot of ice to help ease the pain but it took 2 - 3 days for me to feel okay.  I am lucky never to have even had a filling before so this was pretty full-on for my first dental procedure (apart from annual clean/polish).  Best of luck.

PS It really is worth the pain though...so much better once they are gone.

Kymberly

#4 MiloandOtis

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

I had 3 wisdom teeth out in 2010.  I went into hospital at 7am I think...went into surgery by 10am (I was the 3rd out of 4 patients).  

I remember having the stuff that puts you to sleep...then I remember the nurse waking me up original.gif  I felt sleepy as I 'come to it' and had ice packs strapped to my cheeks.  After a while I was given some ice cream and jelly and they had called my DH to come collect me by 1:30'ish.

The next few days were nothing like I expected!!  A little bit swollen and bit sore but all was fine!!

I had to live on things like instant pudding, jelly, ice cream etc for a couple of days as I wasn't aware you weren't allowed to eat hot things - so the batch of soup I made was useless!

Overall, it was nothing like everyone made it out to be original.gif

Good luck!

#5 ubermum

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

I was another one that breezed through it and I had all 4 out under a GA and only 1 was partially emerged through the gum. I didn't use painkillers the day after the procedure and only had trouble eating because of the swelling.

Once the swelling went down, I actually had to cut my stitches out with scissors because they didn't dissolve. It was like having a mouth full of loose string.

Oh and just know, when you have teeth removed you often have bad breath while it all heals. Try not to breathe on people.

#6 Iliketoflounce

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

thanks everyone i have been really worried about it u have all put my mind at ease but would i need to take anything with me?

#7 Feral Fennel Salad

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

A few years back i had all my wisdom teeth out under a local (2 each time). I rwmember 2 were easy and 2 were hard with lots of yanking and pulling, cutting and drilling. ffear.gif  but no pain.

When i asked the dentist why i wasnt  referred to get all 4 out in one go under GA he said that in his opinon, if youre knocked out, the surgeon is less likely to be gentle (they can't see your cues) and recovery is lbonger.

Follow whatever after care advice you are given, dont skip pain meds and you'll be fine.

#8 babblefish

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

i had all four out under GA, and I took Bioflavanoids for a few days before and after  - they are a vitamin that helps with reducing the liklihood of swelling. i didn't have much. only one side of my face a little sore.

i slept half sitting for the first night because that also helps relieve swelling.

#9 Excentrique Feral

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

Its really not that bad, honestly original.gif I had mine out 6 days before christmas last year. I never found the pain bad at all. The most annoying part is food, trying to eat and when you can eat you keep getting food stuck in the holes!!!

The surgery itself was nothing, you only have a drip needle to worry about, which is not painful either. I woke up feeling pretty great actually, able to talk, in no pain at all. They give you some sort of needle that it like a long term local anaesthetic so i felt nothing until the next day, but it was not very painful. You face will feel huge though!

Tips:
Ice! Make sure you keep on icing your face, not only does it reduce swelling, its fanastic for relieving the pain.

Food: have plenty of pureed food on hand, a good variety, especially stuff that is actually filling (a tub of yoghurt may seem like a good idea but after you spend half an hour trying to eat it you will be cranky that you are even more hungry than before!). I recommend pureed pumpkin + beef + gravy. Yum! Don't push yourself to chew soft foods too soon, I personally think the mouth needs the rest from chewing. The jaw will feel like its bruised when you start trying to chew. And you get more food into yourself if you can just swallow it. Also buy some ensure/sustage or similar liquid food, keep it in the fridge as the chilled food is very soothing. This is ideal to have as food for the first 12hrs or so.

Towel on your pillow! You will drool blood the first night.

Make sure you have stacks of pillows, you will have to sleep upright for the first 2 nights at least, so make a comfy nest.

I didn't know this but you can actually get a special syringe for cleaning out your sockets, this is also handy for the ones that are impacted and stiched, once the stiches come out you will have holes open up, mine go so far back you could see bone, but thats ok, its not painful, and they do close up eventually! Mine have original.gif Its just a pain when food gets stuck in there. If you find your face starting to ache, its almost always because there is food stuck in there.

Rinse after every single meal to avoid infection and because food gets trapped and it can taste pretty bad if you don't.

Also you will spit blood for the first 12 hrs or so, its annoying and gross, but it does slow down eventually.

eta- you can't have hot food until the bleeding has stopped. I had my beef and chicken pureed meals luke warm.

Edited by mumof2andacat, 28 January 2012 - 08:01 PM.

#10 Iliketoflounce

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

for food as some of you have mentioned but will baby food be ok?

Edited by NadiaSurridge1991, 28 January 2012 - 08:03 PM.

#11 new~mum~reenie

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

I had 2 out in the chair and it took me a week to feel OK.

DH had 4 impacteds out and was digging up lawn in 30'c the next day.

Every one is different - but it's not as bad as I expected

#12 meggs10

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

I had my four wisdom teeth out under General Anesthetic. The next day I looked like someone had bashed me because my whole face was so bruised and very swollen. I was also very sick from the panadine fort pain killers so didn't much pain relief but after about five days I was feeling a lot better. And I got two paid weeks off work so that was a good bonus.

#13 Excentrique Feral

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (NadiaSurridge1991 @ 28/01/2012, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
for food as some of you have mentioned but will baby food be ok?

Most would be but be careful, i got one of those porridgey type ones, not only was it gross, it had tiny bits in it. Tiny bits are your worst enemy, cause they get stuck!

#14 Iliketoflounce

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

I got a date for the op it is next wednesday is it ok to be nervous. I don't think it is nervousness its more anxiety that i will get an infection and not be able to eat and end up in hospital

Edited by njs4dks, 27 March 2012 - 03:54 PM.

#15 Catolyn

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Good luck. I wasn't able to eat anything solid for a week after I got mine out last year. I also had to be given Endone I was in so much pain but that is pretty unusual as far as these things go.

It's fine to be nervous, I actually had to be premedicated with valium before being put under because I was freaking out so bad.

#16 IVL

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

Best of luck OP. I had mine out about 4 years ago. It was not bad at all. I had all 4 impacted teeth out under GA. I was so scared as I really don't like the dentist, but honestly after the frist day I didn't need to take anything stronger than a panadol. I also had no swelling or bruising and was eating normally by about the 3rd day. After the op it was a little a unpleasant but only because of the blood and dribble coming out of my mouth, they had packed my mouth with what looked like 2 giant tampons! I was also wrapped up in some ice bandages which I kept on religioulsy for the first 48 hrs.

Good luck, just follow the instructions to the letter and you will be fine.

#17 *bibs*

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

I experienced a great deal of pain, discomfort and swelling after I had my bottom two removed under a general.  It took me at least a week to feel ok.

This was 10x more painful than my C/S.

In saying this it was the best thing I ever did.  

My top wisdom teeth have never erupted, apparently  they are behind the bone and will never come through. hands.gif

It is worth it in the end.

Edited by *bibs*, 03 April 2012 - 09:22 AM.

#18 PrincessPeach

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (mumof2andacat @ 28/01/2012, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its really not that bad, honestly original.gif I had mine out 6 days before christmas last year. I never found the pain bad at all. The most annoying part is food, trying to eat and when you can eat you keep getting food stuck in the holes!!!

The surgery itself was nothing, you only have a drip needle to worry about, which is not painful either. I woke up feeling pretty great actually, able to talk, in no pain at all. They give you some sort of needle that it like a long term local anaesthetic so i felt nothing until the next day, but it was not very painful. You face will feel huge though!

Tips:
Ice! Make sure you keep on icing your face, not only does it reduce swelling, its fanastic for relieving the pain.

Food: have plenty of pureed food on hand, a good variety, especially stuff that is actually filling (a tub of yoghurt may seem like a good idea but after you spend half an hour trying to eat it you will be cranky that you are even more hungry than before!). I recommend pureed pumpkin + beef + gravy. Yum! Don't push yourself to chew soft foods too soon, I personally think the mouth needs the rest from chewing. The jaw will feel like its bruised when you start trying to chew. And you get more food into yourself if you can just swallow it. Also buy some ensure/sustage or similar liquid food, keep it in the fridge as the chilled food is very soothing. This is ideal to have as food for the first 12hrs or so.

Towel on your pillow! You will drool blood the first night.

Make sure you have stacks of pillows, you will have to sleep upright for the first 2 nights at least, so make a comfy nest.

I didn't know this but you can actually get a special syringe for cleaning out your sockets, this is also handy for the ones that are impacted and stiched, once the stiches come out you will have holes open up, mine go so far back you could see bone, but thats ok, its not painful, and they do close up eventually! Mine have original.gif Its just a pain when food gets stuck in there. If you find your face starting to ache, its almost always because there is food stuck in there.

Rinse after every single meal to avoid infection and because food gets trapped and it can taste pretty bad if you don't.

Also you will spit blood for the first 12 hrs or so, its annoying and gross, but it does slow down eventually.

eta- you can't have hot food until the bleeding has stopped. I had my beef and chicken pureed meals luke warm.

Think this says it all.

However i had mine out on the Tuesday afternoon & I was perfectly fine by Saturday - including eating almost normal (just a bit slower).

The ice-packs are the big key - you need to have them on your face for the first 48 hours solid! And a warm salty water rinse is perfect for keeping your mouth food free ( and reducing infections). I was also given a course of preventative antibiotics (amoxil).

I think however pain thresholds are a very individual thing & this does impact on personal recovery time.

Good Luck!

#19 sammyv

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

I had an impacted wisdom tooth out last year, don't worry about infection, I was given preventative antibiotics as well as pain killers.

#20 Iliketoflounce

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

Thanks everyone. My anxiety levels  are high to night I will be all good in the morning. I'm usually like this  the day before an operation.

Btw I'm on my phone so I may not.make sence

#21 qak

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

If you are anxious, tell them when you get there and they can give you a tablet to help you relax.

I had mine out years ago, they were impacted & had to cut the bone to get them out.  Getting my tonsils out was FAR worse, but I did have huge puffy cheeks & bruising on my face for a few days.

#22 Iliketoflounce

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

I will do a quick update they had to cancel my operation due to my allergies getting set off by something causing my temp to go to 37.7 and they didn't want to risk me having an asthma attack. So they just gave me a new date of the 16th my plan is to have my allergy/hayfever tables with the drink i have before 6am

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The mum who never met her baby

There was one more thing Kymberlie Shepherd wanted to experience in life - motherhood. But a rare illness took her first.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.