Gymnastics

• Please log in to reply
894 replies to this topic

#876 Fourteenyears

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:45 PM

That sounds tough.

It is really hard to see a child shrug off something they are very good at. It does sound like a marvellous opportunity, but it is an opportunity that comes at the enormous cost of missing so many of the things that come with a normal childhood.

I know I worry about my daughters hours and she is only doing 13.5 hours a week.   Every time I say no to a 'normal childhood experience' (like doing Wakakiri with school) because of her training hours I have to fight the urge to pull her out of the sport.

And even despite this, I would be sad if she told me she chose to quit (which I wouldn't try to talk her out of).

There's a weird tension between their (and your) joy at the strength and grace of it all and the excitement of new skills, not to mention the discipline and resilience and comradeship they gain from it, -  and the very real knowledge that they have taken on an extraordinary schedule for someone so young (and of course your daughter, aiming for junior international, has taken on so much more), are missing fun things like Friday afternoon sport at school, and are giving their little bodies quite the pounding.

But it is definitely OK to process it and feel sad about the doors that might close if she misses this opportunity.  Particularly if you largely keep those feelings from her.

But is the door closed altogether?  She has to..what, hit level nine before 13 to qualify as future international?  

She would be well on her way already and from her awesome start could probably get there from a good suburban club without the sacrifice of high performance hours.  My daugher's club has a level nine who won't turn 13 until next year (I think.  She could be level eight still, but I know she competed eight last year?), and they are considered a low hours club by Sydney national levels standards.

Does she want to keep training? Just not as intensely?

Edited by Twelveyears, 01 February 2018 - 12:56 PM.

#877 Unatheowl

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:20 PM

View PostTwelveyears, on 01 February 2018 - 12:45 PM, said:

That sounds tough.

It is really hard to see a child shrug off something they are very good at. It does sound like a marvellous opportunity, but it is an opportunity that comes at the enormous cost of missing so many of the things that come with a normal childhood.

I know I worry about my daughters hours and she is only doing 13.5 hours a week.   Every time I say no to a 'normal childhood experience' (like doing Wakakiri with school) because of her training hours I have to fight the urge to pull her out of the sport.

And even despite this, I would be sad if she told me she chose to quit (which I wouldn't try to talk her out of).

There's a weird tension between their (and your) joy at the strength and grace of it all and the excitement of new skills, not to mention the discipline and resilience and comradeship they gain from it, -  and the very real knowledge that they have taken on an extraordinary schedule for someone so young (and of course your daughter, aiming for junior international, has taken on so much more), are missing fun things like Friday afternoon sport at school, and are giving their little bodies quite the pounding.

But it is definitely OK to process it and feel sad about the doors that might close if she misses this opportunity.  Particularly if you largely keep those feelings from her.

But is the door closed altogether?  She has to..what, hit level nine before 13 to qualify as future international?  

She would be well on her way already and from her awesome start could probably get there from a good suburban club without the sacrifice of high performance hours.  My daugher's club has a level nine who won't turn 13 until next year (I think.  She could be level eight still, but I know she competed eight last year?), and they are considered a low hours club by Sydney national levels standards.

Does she want to keep training? Just not as intensely?

Yes she wants to stay at her old club.  I am not keen, with all that is going on, to have her stay with the yelly coach.  I don't want her in that environment.

She is only 7.  She has several years up her sleeve.  This club wants her at JI level at 11.  That is very achievable at this stage with these coaches.

Ive offered for her to quit altogether and she doesn't want that.  She likes the attention she gets from being good at this.

I'm just worried that she'll wake up at age 9 or 10 and decide she wants to go to the Olympics and I'll have to tell her well, you HAD a shot :(

#878 laridae

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:52 PM

View PostUnatheowl, on 01 February 2018 - 01:20 PM, said:

I'm just worried that she'll wake up at age 9 or 10 and decide she wants to go to the Olympics and I'll have to tell her well, you HAD a shot :(
But there are other sports that she could do at the olympics that have a similar skill set but don’t require such commitment at a young age if she did want to. Diving perhaps, or something completely different. She sounds like she is really good at gymnastics, but perhaps there is another sport that she would also be really good at, would totally love, but just hasn’t tried yet.

25 hours is a massive commitment for a 7 year old. I would be more worried about burn out if she is not totally into it.

As you’ve said, time is on your side. Perhaps maybe even dropping back training hours (rather than suggesting she give it up) and trying other things for a year may help cement whether gymnastics is the sport for her. What other interests does she have? My DD is nearly the same age and in addition to gymnastics does swimming, joey scouts, and will also be doing ice skating this year (when we can get to class - lucky it’s casual). She is also showing an interest in diving so we might try a class in that too for a term. Mine is not likely to get to the Olympics though (well, at least not for gymnastics, who knows for other sports).

You could pick things to try that are sort of related, like dance, or would help keep strength up.

#879 Fourteenyears

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:21 PM

Like Stephanie Magiros, who went to level ten as a gymnast and then, at the age of 17, rode a snowboard for the first time.  She represented Australia at the winter Olympics six years later.

She was the guest speaker at my daughter's gym's presentation night last year and was so inspiring that half the little girls in the gym want to take up snowboarding now.

#880 coolbreeze

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:19 PM

Sorry haven't read all these posts.
Many very good gymnasts make excellent classical ballet dancers. They have strength and flexibility which is a great start. One of the top up and coming classical dancers started her life as a gymnast. And of course the beautiful French Sylvie Guillem was a gymnast before she embarked on her celebrated dance career.
Or there is diving or snowboarding etc
CB

#881 chookas!

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:43 AM

Is it just that she doesn't want to change clubs? Sometimes it's just a tough transition, if she wants to stay in gym, I'd probably get her to give it a good trial. Just staying with a rubbish coach because it's easier for her is probab Not a great outcome.
I know it's tough though, I'm about to tackle it with my dd

#882 Unatheowl

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:17 PM

View Postchookas!, on 04 February 2018 - 11:43 AM, said:

Is it just that she doesn't want to change clubs? Sometimes it's just a tough transition, if she wants to stay in gym, I'd probably get her to give it a good trial. Just staying with a rubbish coach because it's easier for her is probab Not a great outcome.
I know it's tough though, I'm about to tackle it with my dd��

Yes, I think this is more the reason.  I also think she is intimidated by the hours.

I managed to talk to the new club and they have agreed to start at her current 16 hours and slowly ramp it up over some months to the point that suits them for her development.

She seems happy enough with this to give it a go.  Also, she will compete NL6 which she wants to do whenever a comp comes up (as there are no IL competitions anymore) so she is more comfortable doing this.  So we have a compromise she is happy with.

We'll see how it goes!

#883 BubbleBird

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:09 PM

Hello,

Loving reading all your gymnastics talk! I'm wondering if someone could tell me the best clubs for boys in Vic? Thanks in advance!

#884 mards

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:04 PM

Anyone going to WAG 7/10 state soon? at Rooty Hill?

Anyone know HOW this comp works? as they have x 2 trial then state over the last 2 days . Our gym great with getting gymnasts ready for events - they don't explain anything though to parents along the way - i know this is typical coach behaviour! LOL!
so anyone know how it works? with scores going toward State etc?

cheers and thanks if anyone knows

#885 Fourteenyears

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:26 AM

Does anyone here have a daughter who competed level five last year or is competing it this year?  I have a couple of quick questions.

#886 chookas!

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:18 PM

I might be able to help

#887 Fourteenyears

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:29 PM

I'll PM you.

#888 Unatheowl

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:23 PM

Mine has competed level 5 this year too.  Im an internediate judge as well now if that helps.

#889 Fourteenyears

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:53 PM

Thanks, una.  I PMed you.

#890 BeAwesome

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:00 AM

Hi parents of gymnasts, I've got a cheerleader, who is  wanting to practice tumbling at home, but we have limited space.  I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a home tumbling track.  I love the look of AirTrak, but can't afford (nor justify) over $1k.    Has anyone had experience with a similar cheaper model?  There's a few on eBay around $300.

#891 Fourteenyears

Posted 28 September 2018 - 02:02 PM

Hi,

I see you have no answer so I thought I'd chip in.   Most folk probably won't know, as 'keep tumbling for the gym' is pretty much a mantra that gym coaches indoctrinate the girls with.  So while plenty of girls have basic mats, beams and sometimes kip bars at home, not that many have proper tumbling mats.  Some do, of course, so maybe this will help as a thread bump!

My daughter tumbles on a brand name air track at gym before her skills are ready for the floor.  They are bouncier than the normal tumbling surface.   They are good though - nice and cushiony.   Although you would need to watch that she doesn't go off the side or anything, along with the other inherent dangers of tumbling without a trained spotter.

I have no experience with non brand name air tracks.  I would worry about the strength of the seams etc, and that you get what you pay for.   FWIW, the air trak mats are 40% off at the Australian beam store right now.

Edited by Twelveyears, 16 October 2018 - 07:16 AM.

#892 FEdeRAL

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:43 AM

View PostTwelveyears, on 28 September 2018 - 02:02 PM, said:

FWIW, the air trak mats are 40% off at the Australian beam store right now.

Thanks for the heads up on the sale PP. We are also looking at getting something for tumbling for 6yo DD who started squad this year. She's doing 2x2hour/wk.

She has a couple a near miss trying to practise her cartwheels and handstand on the concrete floor - so I am after a bit of advice - would the air track or gym mat (like this one) be more suitable for her at this stage?

(Obviously I am hoping the mat is good enough due to the price, but ultimately I am after the safer surface that is also more conducive to her learning her cartwheels/ handstands et)

#893 Fourteenyears

Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:15 AM

We have tiles.  A few years ago my daughter was going through the cartwheel/handstand phase I bought a panel mat.  Not the beam store one (it was non folding) but a nice dense proper gym mat.

It has done the job really nicely.  The rule here is no handstands or cartwheels on the tiles.  I figure her joints get enough work at the gym and I don't want her to add to that by landing on a hard surface at home no matter how safely.  The mat still comes out when she's in a handstand sort of mood, and she stretches on it on non-gym days (because she is the least flexible gymnast in the history of gymnastics).

A panel mat won't do for beginners doing back handsprings etc, but it is likely that a tumbling coach will say don't practice those at home anyway.

I think the air mats are more about adding spring for the skills where girls need to get the hang of rebounding - roundoffs, handsprings etc.

Edited by Twelveyears, 16 October 2018 - 07:17 AM.

#894 laridae

Posted 24 December 2018 - 01:39 PM

DD1 has been doing rec gym for 1.5 years now and is nearly as far as she can go in rec with this gym. They don't do levels, but have their own badges and as far as I can tell the one she's in is roughly equivalent to level 3. One more term and she'll get the top badge of their badge program, and that's when they start to try them out for competitive teams.  So after seeing their holiday training schedule on the website for those teams (everything 3pm-6pm 3 days during the week for the lowest level team) and thinking 'yikes, that's going to be really difficult for us to do if she gets in' seeing both of us work and school holidays don't actually make any difference to that. One session is also a different location (they have more than one gym) which makes it even harder as it's further away. I think the regular one goes 4-7 which is a bit easier as DH finishes work at 3:30pm.
Anyway, another gym that's only a few minutes drive away from our house we're advertising on FB that they had spaces available in their competitive teams, so I contacted them, had an assessment, and she can start in their level 3 (9 hours a week) team next year.
So that good, but 9 hours is going to be a huge jump from the 1.5 she does now. Timing is better as it's from 3:30pm twice a week then a Saturday session as well all year rather than changing for holidays. The only problem will be getting her there as I'll be at work. DH is going to ask if he can finish a bit earlier so she can do it.
So it's a bit exciting, but a bit hard logistically too.

And in other news DD2 showed me that she can do a bridge which apparently she'd been practicing at daycare. I think she'll be wanting to do this too soon.

#895 Fourteenyears

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:59 PM

Just a question for anyone out there who might have current information - is the press to handstand the only acceptable level six beam mount, or is there still an alternative mount?

(Yeah I should get my daughter to ask her coach, but my daughter doesn’t talk at gym and I never see her coach anymore so I can’t ask either.)

Edited by Fourteenyears, 04 February 2019 - 03:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.