Gymnastics

• Please log in to reply
893 replies to this topic

#826 twinmumplus1

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:22 PM

Massive changes here.  My daughter's gym club lost their head coach (and to be honest, a set up/pack up club is not the highest priority to attract any more coaches).  We also lost another coach due to her behaviour, so are running on skeleton staff.

DD was invited to join a club 2 1/2 hours away to train with and participate in National Clubs.  It has involved a lot of training away as well as time away from her other love (hockey) but she is juggling it all amazingly.  She came out very high in the state for flex and leaps/jumps in her state squad trial, and has fitted into her second club beautifully.  

huge changes, but hopefully will get her to national champs (which is her dream).

#827 Jamelex

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:24 PM

View PostUnatheowl, on 11 July 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

oh, can anyone recommend a sports medicine person in Sydney (not sure what specialty I need but would rather a dr v a physio)?  DD has been complaining that her left wrist is sore for 2 training sessions now.  If it continues tomorrow, I would rather check it out and be safe.

She says when she comes out of straps on metal bar the left wrist hurts and she has had to stop her tumbling (they go onto floor after bar) because it hurt.  I cant figure out whether her strap hurts her or it something in the wrist.

Ive asked the coaches to look out for it again tomorrow.  My mum is a GP and she has said we should see someone who sees young athletes as she is concerned about a potential  growth plate injury.

I can suggest you check out the Children's Hospital Institute of Sports Medicine (CHISM).
https://www.schn.hea...se-medicine/chw

I don't know what the waiting list/time is like but I've worked with both Gary Browne and Damian McKay, they're both great.

#828 Unatheowl

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:43 PM

View PostJamelex, on 17 July 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

I can suggest you check out the Children's Hospital Institute of Sports Medicine (CHISM).
https://www.schn.hea...se-medicine/chw

I don't know what the waiting list/time is like but I've worked with both Gary Browne and Damian McKay, they're both great.

Thank you.  That would have been perfect.  I ended up asking one of the other gym mums whose daughter was injured and she recommended someone who looks after a lot of the young gymnasts from our gym so he understands the programme and what is asked of them.  I have confidence in him.

He has said that she has just injured the wrist in minor way and that it just needs to be allowed to heal.  We have Voltaren gel and she has a stretching exercise to do and to stay off the wrist this week in training.  I think it is already getting better.

DD had her Foundation Festival yesterday and she did very well.  No blues for anyone but at least she avoided the dreaded pink (or white depending where you are) and performed well despite her nerves.  No more Foundation!  Onwards and upwards to level 7!

#829 chookas!

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:53 PM

My dd recently started getting sore wrists, I pretty much put it down to just overuse because they were starting to do a lot more tumbling. And then when they didn't really improve I bought her tiger paws, which seemed to help a lot.
Then, after that I took her to a physio ho worked out that she had tight muscles and gave her some stretches to do. Fixed her wrists right up and she doesn't need tiger paws anymore. Wish I'd seen the physio first :omg:

Has anyone else heard that the IL program is being scrapped? Looks like everyone will be doing NL up to 10 and then IL, have your clubs said anything?

#830 Imnotme

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:12 PM

I haven't heard anything about IL being scrapped. My DD is at a high performance centre. The only potential changes we have heard of so far is in relation to the independent review that GA did last year. I believe one of the recommendations was to transition high performance gymnasts to train at clubs instead of at specific high performance centres, with the idea that this would enable more gymnasts to be able to train IL. Biggest issue with this at the moment is the lack of suitably qualified coaches to be able to coach these gymnasts.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out in the coming years.

#831 Unatheowl

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:35 PM

Yes i heard about the possibility of il being scrapped.  Seems not any time soon.  I tried to get some goss at the judging course but even the gymnastics nsw people had no idea about it.

I like the idea of training at home clubs all the way through.  If we had to go somewhere else im afraid that would be the end of it.

I read that review document - seemed very reasonable

#832 chookas!

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:24 AM

I'd definitely ask your clubs and see what they say, it seems to have come in in the last week or so.
The document put out by gymnastics Australia was good but it doesn't count for much if nothing changes. And as for training at home clubs, NSW doesn't have a high performance centre anyway.

#833 Unatheowl

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:15 PM

Our club has even less of an idea.

The recent changes to il were skill changes and were relatively minor.  Smaller than the last lot of changes. Nothing to do with the proposed il scrapping.

Yes, im glad we dont have to go to a high performance centre here.

#834 Fourteenyears

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:28 AM

What I heard, and this is third hand and coming from someone who is quite anxious about it all, is that a big Sydney IL program sent a letter to its parents telling them that the IL program is being discontinued, pretty much immediately, and that IL girls will now be competing NL until level 10.  And if they achieve that by age eleven they then join an IL stream.

The rumour, which I heard from someone who heard about the above letter and approached her own gym about it,  said that clubs were blindsided by the speed of the decision, and that the reason parents haven't been told yet is because they are trying to figure out exactly what to tell them - ie, how they are going to reshape their programs for kids currently training IL.

My guess is that they will continue to host an accelerated stream, renamed to something else.  Maybe it'll work like the American TOPS scheme where the really talented girls train the national levels, but train and condition extra hours and move up through the levels much faster?

And, of course, as third hand news this could all be completely wrong. :lol:

Edited by ElevenYears, 21 July 2017 - 11:29 AM.

#835 Fourteenyears

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:32 AM

And on a less rumour filled note - my daughter competes level four again on Sunday.

And her primary goal for the competition is avoiding the dreaded pink ribbon on floor.  She is literally being tenthed to death on form (losing huge amounts in 0.1 increments!)  - unusually tight quads and hamstrings and knobbly knees mean that her legs either are bent or look bent on almost every skill.

#836 chookas!

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:34 AM

Good luck to your dd  Eleven, hope she enjoys the comp.

It looks like they'll push all the kids through to NL9 or 10 and then they can go on if they're good enough, they'll just have to try and push the talented ones through faster.
Lucky they just learnt all those new IL routines :huh:

#837 mards

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:55 AM

Good Luck on Sunday to your DD 11 years.

Well we have had some big news. DD is moving to a new club in 2 weeks - they want her after state so they can start training level 7 as soon as poss - so our lives is about to change around here - we are used to a 5 min drive to gym - now will be 45 min each way! - but we have a beautiful friend who's daughters also train there - and we will be helping with lifts!

so DD has a comp tomorrow and then state - then thats it with  the club she has been with for years! - her coach has said she can't take her any further... its time...

#838 Unatheowl

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

View PostElevenYears, on 21 July 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

What I heard, and this is third hand and coming from someone who is quite anxious about it all, is that a big Sydney IL program sent a letter to its parents telling them that the IL program is being discontinued, pretty much immediately, and that IL girls will now be competing NL until level 10.  And if they achieve that by age eleven they then join an IL stream.

The rumour, which I heard from someone who heard about the above letter and approached her own gym about it,  said that clubs were blindsided by the speed of the decision, and that the reason parents haven't been told yet is because they are trying to figure out exactly what to tell them - ie, how they are going to reshape their programs for kids currently training IL.

My guess is that they will continue to host an accelerated stream, renamed to something else.  Maybe it'll work like the American TOPS scheme where the really talented girls train the national levels, but train and condition extra hours and move up through the levels much faster?

And, of course, as third hand news this could all be completely wrong. Posted Image

I had a chat to our head coach about this.  Essentially he got the memo but realises how stupid it is.  How many kids are 11 years old and in NL10?  Because the age limits to Junior and Senior international are still the same, NL10 cannot prepare them for that jump.  Fine for a country with 300million people (USA, Mihai) where some talented girls rise to the top at an early age, but not here and not with the structure of the National levels.  This makes sense just trying to comprehend where to put my DD (for example).  I cant imagine where she would fit in the National Levels - she would be dropping down hours and still be expected to reach skills at International standard.

Look at the NL10 routines.  Not even close.  So weird.  They would have to up the difficulty of the National Levels then....then it would not be "gymnastics for everyone..."

So, essentially, our gym is actually not going to change what they are doing with HP gymnasts.  Perhaps IL will just be renamed lol!

#839 chookas!

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:55 AM

They'll still have to stream the talented kids and push them through faster, so not much will change from that perspective but they'll be doing NL routines. Which will be tough because we'll be doing optional floor routines. Wonder whose going to choreograph those? Then they can compete to get into Future International between 11-13, the skills are tough though.
I guess we'll see.

#840 karkat

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:45 PM

Interesting to hear about the changes to the international stream, not applicable to my DD but interesting times ahead. Dd has her second level 4 competition this weekend, hopefully an improvement from last competition. The coaches has finally decided that will move the bars in close for her and not surprisingly she can do it! She has just been terrified of catching it, can make the distance that the bigger girls do but just won't catch it. She catches now at 146 apart and hoping she will get it to 150 before the competition. It's been such an unsettled year at gym for her, hopefully she can pull it altogether on the weekend.

Hope everyone's little gymmies are doing well

#841 Fourteenyears

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:40 PM

Oh that is great!  Catching it at any width must be confidence building for her.    Those bars are so high!  You forget, when you only ever see the, from the parents viewing area!   Hopefully they will move it in for her at competition too.   I hope she has fun.

My level four has competed twice since I last posted.   She is in no danger of being swamped with blue ribbons, but each competition has been better than the last and she is now managing to avoid the dreaded orange ribbon on her worst apparatus. (Floor).

Just states to go now, then the slightly nervous wait to see if she gets to go up to level five.

She is ready for level five on beam, will be OK on vault, can't quite kip (and I know how long girls can be stuck at that stage for) and doesn't have a ROBHS or front tuck yet (because they haven't started to train them yet).

Edited by ElevenYears, 03 August 2017 - 09:42 PM.

#842 karkat

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:17 AM

Well done for your DD Eleven years, in qld we just get scores and then top 3 or 6 depending on number of girls competing get medals/ribbons, so I don't fully get the colored ribbon system but can relate to getting out of the lowest score. DD is hoping to score better than a 6 on bars tomorrow (she should be right now that she can catch the bar so shouldn't be starting from a 9). I think they will be moving the bars in for her, I figure it's not really any difference to the girl on her team that is as tall as me and stands on the low bar and just leans over to the high bar when they are as far apart as possible 😃  DD still has to reach the qualifying score for states which she hopes to do tomorrow, if she does her routines reasonably well she should be right, but it's gymnastics anything can happen, including falling of beam 3 times like happened last competition! Nervous wait for her!

#843 Unatheowl

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:49 AM

View Postchookas!, on 27 July 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

They'll still have to stream the talented kids and push them through faster, so not much will change from that perspective but they'll be doing NL routines. Which will be tough because we'll be doing optional floor routines. Wonder whose going to choreograph those? Then they can compete to get into Future International between 11-13, the skills are tough though.
I guess we'll see.

Yes, I would think so.  The NL routines just aren't rigorous enough though.  Unless you start them early and push them through early...you'd still have a skill jump then between NL10 and Junior International.  I know one of the large successful clubs near us who only do NL have a stream which has only younger girls with a view to preparing them for Junior International as they were expecting this change.  However, that's starting to sound just like IL as its restricted by age!!!

Actually, our IL 7,8,9 and 10 girls just had some kind of camp with a choreographer who did their optional routines. so I suppose that answers that.

So far we're still keeping the IL model but I guess that means there will be no competitions for my DD until she is 11?  Or turning 11?  That's another 4 years.

Skills wise right now she's struggling with layouts.  Forward and back.  Its because she's so floppy (little core strength according to physio) and seems not to have a natural instinct to turn on her core or simply hold form.  Its really weird.  She's somehow able to do the skills though even though she looks like an octopus with broken legs.  She's improving though, with the work of the physio.  Its also what makes her so super flexible so its not all bad.

Bars she has her kip, clear hip is OK and cast to handstand nearly there.  Funnily enough on bars she has good form.  She doesn't flop.  No flops on beam either.  Only floor and vault.

Its nice hearing about all the competitions though!  I'm glad your dds are all doing well!  Good luck with State!

#844 mards

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:10 PM

Sounds like everyone is travelling well. DD has State on Sunday morning at Rooty Hill so will be a very early start for us! this is her last comp with her old gym - tonight is her last training with her old gym - its so weird its all coming to an end - she is so excited for whats to come! should be exciting preparing there for level 7 - will see what happens.

Edited by mards, 04 August 2017 - 05:14 PM.

#845 karkat

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:43 PM

Good luck to your DD tomorrow mards hope she has a great time and enjoys her last competition with her current club.

DD did her 2nd level 4 competition today and thankfully it was a much more positive experience than last time. They moved the bars closer for her and caught comfortably but she overshot her back hip circle, something she has never done before🙄 Luckily she still scored well and most importantly qualified for state! She is so excited

#846 mards

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:28 PM

Congrats to your DD Karat she must be super happy with that!!

Well DD did really well coming 2nd in Beam today at State - she has always done well on Beam - and I know she was hoping for something big!!

Well onwards and upwards - tomorrow we start the driving /and share driving to the new gym - end of an era beginning of new one.  - will be a very interesting time for our family and we will see where it takes us and if she likes all the change...

#847 Fourteenyears

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:12 PM

Yay Mards!    What a way to finish at her current gym!

#848 karkat

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:07 PM

Woohoo mards, that fantastic, huge congratulations to your DD. Good luck with all the changes and driving ahead!

#849 FiFiLicious

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:42 PM

Congrats Mards! That is awesome!  DD L5 also competed state yesterday @ rooty hill.  She had a shocker, fell off the beam, faced the wrong way starting floor and stuffed her vault.  She was the only member of the team that didn't place and was devo.  She has been really sick for a week and half and I should have pulled her but she desperately wanted to compete her first State Champ, so I didn't....  We had 2 overall placing on her team, 4th and 7th? I think? She would normally place and it's the first time in her competitive history that she hasn't.  Heartbreaking to watch big fat tears silently rolling down her face, heartbreaking.  She seems ok today which is good and hopefully she'll shake it off in time for state clubs in a few weeks.  Sometimes these comps are really really tough...

#850 mards

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:24 AM

FIF - its so so tough out there!! - always hard when they don't get anything - but its also good to see them bounce back come back stronger in a couple of weeks or months - and if they love it they will be more determined to not fall off the beam etc - My DD has done Wrong floor patterns so many times through the years and fallen off beam etc! such a learning process for them.. My DD has never been part of team so doesn't know what its like when team mates get something - but new gym there are huge numbers so will be good for her.

DD went to new gym last night - Did Giants on the bar and flip on the beam - she was super happy last night in the car on the way back!! - we will see what happens time will tell!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.