Gymnastics

• Please log in to reply
894 replies to this topic

#51 mards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

WE JUST got our time 8am on the sunday - turn of daylight savings - the kids will be smashed!!

#52 mumto3princesses

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

Gymfest next week at Cronulla. (26th to 30th September) Should be fun.  original.gif

#53 mumto3princesses

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

Anyone go or going to Gymfest?

Opening Ceremony today. They had so much fun.

Gosh, the Japanese Gymnasts are so good!

#54 mards

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

Good luck to anyone at State Champs this weekend!!! we will be there on sunday bright and early at 7.30am!!! give me strength!

#55 FionaM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

mards - i was there bright & early on saturday morning, thats after flying in from hawaii the night before !! how did your daughter go ?
My daughter went ok but it wasnt her best competition and she dropped apparatus that she has never dropped before.
oh well, she was still happy to be at state and compete.

#56 mards

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

lol you wouls have been smashed!! - Cudos for you for getting there - and for her to compete. she would have been really tired.

HOw exciting it was - Bright and early Sunday morning - we were in the mixed teams event for level 1 - they came 5th all around - which was so exciting for them - as we really thought we wouldnt place - as the level of comp is super high - we have a local comp on tomorrow and i think that is it for the year..

Edited by mards, 13 October 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#57 Sunshine streaming

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Hi there. I am wondering if any of you ladies could share your insight into boys gymnastics. DS1 is 6 and did his first term of recreational gymnastics last term. He was then asked to join the prelevel national development stream for this term. It is only 1.5 hrs a week, at this stage, which works for us as he also swims, plays tennis and does afl.

I like gymnastics but don't know much about it. I am worried about a few things, which may be unfounded. Firstly,is it true it stunts growth? Secondly, are boys bullied because it is more associated as a female sport? Also, generally speaking what sort of things do the boys do for their routines, is it all individual or are there group things too? Finally, do many boys continue beyond 8yrs, as the numbers at our gym are very girl dominated. Thanks.

#58 mards

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

Ahh just found out that two of our level 2 Wag girls are changing clubs  mellow.gif !! - its going to be really sad to see the team split up - but our gym is NOT that organised and there has been a lot of rumbling with the parents about changing etc - and they followed through - so we are loosing our 2 best! - anyway this may be just what the gym needs to loose 2  - to make them get a bit more organised...

Hows everyone else going??

#59 FionaM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

thats no good mards.  hopefully the gym has some inprovements.

we are still waiting to hear who the coaches will be next year and what level DD will be as their coach is going on maternity leave and the level they are currently doing, no other coach in the club has qualified to do so it looks like they have to go back to normal levels.
just wish they would actually make a decision then either email or telephone us to tell us what is happening as it would save a lot of discussion amongst parents.

#60 mards

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

Haha GYM MOMS!!!   ohmy.gif !!

Yep hopefully they will get you organised with a coach that can do the levels your girls need!!

I think the pooh will hit the fan this arvo at the gym when she tells them they are leaving!

#61 FionaM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

you will have to let us know what happens.

#62 mards

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:48 AM

all was OK with management - i think the coach was very UNHAPPY - but not letting on... Maybe it will mean good changes. - less kids to teach now - more time??

Gym Mums have a look at this site http://www.chalkbucket.com/

its great!!

#63 FionaM

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

thats a great website mards.

DD had her gymnastics presentation night the other night and received the encouragement award as well as a state representative award.
She was happy with the award especially as there was only 3 encourgement awards awarded for the whole rythmic program.

we have finally been informed of what is to happen next year and DD is happy with the coaches she has and she will go back to levels for next year.

DD is once again (3rd year in a row) is asking for a rythmic apparatus from santa for xmas.

just have to work out size and type and order it all asap.

hope everyone is well

#64 mards

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

Hey FionaM  - that is great for your daughter! Fantastic results!! - What level is she competing next year? My DD is going to level 2 - she is so excited!

A friend of mine makes and sells Leos for Rhythmic - https://www.facebook.com/AuroraLeotards

She also has a website too http://auroraleotards.com/

Anyway Chalk Bucket is awesome - just wish more Aussies are on it - Wouldnt it be great if kids here could get scholarships for Gym to get into Uni - we can only dream!!

Cheers

Mards

#65 FionaM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

Hi Mards
long time no chat.

My DD is currently at a cross road in gymnastics - she loves RG but is not really happy with the coaches (the coaches are young and actually trained with them last year and i think they just dont have the experience to be coaching level 5 girls) and also there is only 1 other child in DD's level, who is totally different to DD.  Now I dont mean that in a nasty way but just has way too much to say and really intimidates DD.

I have spoken to the owners of the gym (who i think are just now in it for money and not for gymnastics as what they used to be like) and apparently they have spoken to the coaches etc.  That was over a month ago.  I dont really think things have improved.

She has 3 coaches over the 3 sessions per week and apparently 1 coach says its perfect and then another one says its not right all in one session.  DD is getting really confused and loosing her confidence in doing her routine.

I watched her complete a routine last week and you can tell the whole situation has taken its toll on DD and she just wasnt the gymnast that she has been for the last few years.

I really dont know what to do.

The head coach is still on maternity leave but there is no indication of when she will come back.  Ive put a call into the gym this morning so we will see what response i get.

im even considering look at other gyms but dont really know what to ask.

anyway sorry about the whinge, but just wanted to talk to another gym mum.

#66 babygirl03

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Hello

It's good to read of others with kiddies doing rhythmic gymnastics original.gif

Fiona - sorry to read of the predicament your dd is in. It mustn't be fun for her to be overwhelmed by another with such an extrovert personality and also not have a choice of other gymnasts to interact with, plus losing a much loved coach.

My 9yo loves the team she's in. There are 6 of them and while one of the girls has a tendency to exhibit some rather 'loud' characteristics as well, she has got a staple mate that she prefers to hover around. This other girl and her had made it into the squad team a year earlier while dd and another 3 girls only came into the competition stream end of last year / start this year. Hence, the friendship situation for us is more that the 2 earlier entry girls tend to keep to each other while dd and 2 of the other 3 girls stay as a threesome. The 4th girl in the group is a very disciplined child and is very focused with her training so rarely chatters although her being the oldest at 13 while the rest are 9-10yo may have something to do with it too.

Dd does 3 sessions a week as well. This totals 5hrs with a Ukrainian coach that takes them on Monday doing bodywork and the other 2 sessions taken by an ex-gymnast of the club. While she's fairly young, she's got great work ethics and commitment and is well liked by the girls. The Levels 6 and above girls has the Ukrainian coach on the other days and a Russian ballet teacher for the Monday session.

I've got my fingers crossed for you that your dd's gym will work with you to sort things out soon. It can't be good to have coaches that don't work together well.

#67 FionaM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

babygirl03 - its great to connect to another RG mum.
it sounds like your DD is in a great team and has great support with her.

My DD has been in a great little group up until the begining of last year when her and another girl were moved to another level.
it was disappointing from a friendship side of things as my DD got on with the girls in group really well.

I really think tonights gyms session will be a deal breaker for my DD. so i am really hoping that she goes well.

The owner of the gym has rung me back and i raised these concerns again so really the ball is in their court to hopefully get DD to stay at the gym.

It is really hard as a parent to sit back and put your child in that situation that she doesnt want to go and to make matters worse i am at work today and my mum is droping her off.
I will get to the gym a bit earlier and see what is happening.

thanks for listening.
can i ask are you in sydney ?

#68 babygirl03

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

Sorry to read that her upgrade had such an impact on the friendship aspect.  RG girls are all expected to work so hard at squad level and the girls motivating and supporting each other is what makes it fun for them and to also thrive that it's sad when your child has no one else to connect with.

My dd was in a great little group in her previous level too. There were 15 of them of which 4 including dd upgraded to squad. Due to the fairly large group, these 4 girls (or rather 3 as the aforementioned 13yo is very focused) actually had different friendships and weren't particularly close to one another but now it's like they've been friends forever.

I hope things will work out for your dd one way or another. How did she go tonight? Can you let her try out in a different club, anyways? Given you're in Sydney, I've got no suggestions though as we're in Adelaide.

#69 FionaM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

thanks for your support babygirl03.

She looked like she was enjoying herself when i turned up, chatting to the other girls (who are in different levels on the floor) and DD informs me that her & the other girl did different apparatus tonight, so maybe that is a good thing that they are focusing on different things.

I spoke to another parent (who i actually went to high school with) and she said that her daughter had problems with a similar girl in the gym (who is now no longer there) and she just kept telling her daughter that it is an individual sport so just focus on doing your best and have fun with the other girls.
I told DD that last night and it seemed to click for her.

Apparently the owner of the gym and also one of the coaches (that coach has coached at commonwealth games level but unfortunately is only at the gym 1 session a week) spoke to DD and im hoping that it was a good boost for DD.

The owner suggested yesterday that maybe moving her down a level would help to avoid the other girl but when they will be training on the mat together (there is only 5 of them from level 4-6) so i dont think that would be beneficial and DD can complete the routines in the level she is in.

i think i will just play it by ear.

thanks again for listening.

#70 mumofparis

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

Hi all,
Just thought i would drop by original.gif
My DD is 10 yrs old & is a Level 4 RG girl & Level 3 WAG girl.
Glad to see some other RG girls here.

#71 FionaM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

mumofparis - is your DD still doing both forms of gym ? how does she fit it all in ?

#72 babygirl03

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

Hello mumofparis, I'm fairly new to this thread too.

FionaM - How are things going at the club? Have the situation improved?

#73 FionaM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

hi
babygirl03 - things seem to be going ok (keeping everything crossed). the coaches are advising them which apparatus to do each night and they are doing different apparatus, which is good.
I just keep telling DD that it is an individual sport and just work out your things to make your routine the best it can be.
I bought her some new toes shoes yesterday and she was so excited, so you can tell she still loves RG.

how are things with you ?

#74 babygirl03

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

Hello FionaM

Good to read that things are going smoothly and that she's still so keen on it. Looks like your advice and what the coaches are doing is working for her then original.gif

With us, June is shaping up to be a very busy month. Not RG, but we kick off with her mid-year dance demonstration on 1 & 2 June. This would then be followed by her RG trial upgrade in preparation for her official upgrade in mid-June. Assuming she passes the upgrade, she would then commence learning new routines for the comps season which starts in August. The club's mid-year display day is also in June, the last weekend.

Is there a lot of RG happenings for your girl's club around this time of the year too?

#75 FionaM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

hi babygirl03

DD's club normally does a "mock" competition during June so we get to see what they are going but this year they are doing the mock comp during the holiday training so unforunately we dont get to see it.

Then i think the comps start mid July.

that does sound like a really busy time for you and your DD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.