Gymnastics

• Please log in to reply
344 replies to this topic

#326 EssentialBludger

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:26 AM

Mards my dd can't currently get her beam routine under 1.30. It's going to be tough!!!! What are the deductions for time over?

Good luck again to your dd!

#327 mards

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:50 AM

i will tell you later when we find out at comp - all new to this - going to be very strange tonight!

#328 EssentialBludger

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:37 PM

How did she go?

#329 mards

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:56 AM

Oh wow she did well - got her kip! I would love to send you the clips I will pm u?  She came 3 on beam and Floor and 6 on bar 5th aa - really pleased !

#330 EssentialBludger

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:54 AM

Oh wow that's wonderful!! Congrats to her!!! I would love to see the clips! :)

#331 protart roflcoptor

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:31 AM

Ooooo, I'd love to see them too Mards!

#332 mards

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:04 AM

pro tart can you pm me your email please if you would like a viewing LOL! - i have no other idea how to put them up...

#333 mards

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:54 AM

How is everyone going? DD had combined schools comp on Thursday and has Gala today in Sydney - so has been a busy week... then we get a couple weeks break for regional champs.

DD has been getting her kip at comp and now at every training session - so i guess officially she has it now?!

Enjoy the ride of comp season!! love to hear how you are all travelling.

#334 EssentialBludger

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:00 AM

4 weeks out from comps and dd is "injured". Hopefully it turns out to be her drama queen self nothing. Ugh.

#335 mards

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:54 PM

EB - what has she done??? i hope its not serious!!

#336 EssentialBludger

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:59 PM

Hurt her foot doing sole circles on the bars yesterday. Dunno who's idea it was to try tricks she knows she can't do right before comps. :p

#337 FiFiLicious

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:00 PM

Hey 10 years, which gym did you end up with?  I know you were looking at a few in the inner west a while back? Are you happy with where you are now?

I have a level 3er who is being assessed for L4.  She's 8 and has only done a small number of comps with the next invitational in early Augs. I honestly couldn't tell you how well she stacks up against potential competition although she came 5 over all at her last comp mid last year?? I think it was regionals? Can't remember.  She does 10.5 hrs a week and LOVES every second of it.   Nice to have a little group on EB to chat about gym with, I'm also very out of the loop since the changes came in so am a bit lost.  She competed last year as a level 1 WAG and all of a sudden being assessed as L4? I don't know, seems a bit of a jump if you asked me?

#338 mards

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:09 AM

Hi Fif - All the levels have changed this year - pretty much Level 5 (is the old level 4) pretty much same skills etc.

So level 4 now is pretty much what last years level 3s were doing - so they are probably right in moving her up - as level 2 would prob be too easy for her - and she would get bored.

Level 1-3 seems pretty much to be foundation skills and basics.

I hope that makes sense  - DD went from level 3 to level 5 this year - so pretty much right on the mark as skills are very similar to last years 4s.

#339 EssentialBludger

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:50 AM

I think a lot of clubs have no idea where to put a lot of their girls this year to be honest. That said, DD missed the foundation levels altogether. Jumped straight into old NDP 3, and now new 5 in her second year of gym. She did a few weeks of 1 and 2 when we first started, but she had most of the skills to compete 3 so they moved her there.

How did your dd go at the gala mards?

DDs foot is much better, phew!! I got a grilling from the coach for not sending her to training on Sunday though. WTF.

#340 mards

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:06 AM

oh girls are so funny with their gym EB!!

yep they went well it was a gala team event - they got 2nd vault and 3rd beam and came 3rd AA.

there were only 3 places they gave out - they were lucky!!

they are really skimping on the awards this year - they just got ribbons not medals LOL! - we have a regional event in a couple of weeks.

EB sounds like your dd is recovering quickly!

#341 EssentialBludger

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:47 AM

Good job to your dd!

We just got our schedule for first comp, I am pretty p*ssed about it. Everything is worked out on birthdays, which I think is SO stupid. They've split clubs up completely, and a couple of poor girls are competing all on their own without a single one of their teammates, which I think is just REALLY sh*t.

It's not even my kid (who just seems to be lucky enough that all her teammates have birthdays close together) and I'm p*ssed at GWA for the way they work these things out.

It also means that she will be competing against the same 20 or so girls all year, boring!!!!

#342 Fionam2

Posted Yesterday, 01:35 PM

my DD had a group routine yesterday at State RG multiples. the girls had so much fun and did have a little drop but thats ok as they really havent practiced the routine that much.

the news in our gym is that there is a push to increase the hours for select group of girls and for them to be elite.  anyway DD has been asked but is yet to make up her mind as she does other sports as well.  The training hours will increase from 12 to 20.  the additional hours will be before school so i dont know how logistically that would work but im not thinking about that until DD has made her decision.

the problem is that there was only 10 girls asked and there is about 6 or so that havent been asked, which has made for some unhappy parents and kids.  i dont think the gym has handled it the best.

I would love a crystal ball to help with the decision LOL

hope everyone is going well

#343 babygirl03

Posted Yesterday, 05:36 PM

Increase from 12 to 20hrs - wow, that is some crazy hours! What level is your dd doing?

I've got an RG girl as well who is at Level 6 and doing 7.5hrs a week. We'll be hard pressed to do 12 as she does dance and aerobics too so I'm keen to find out how your dd fit everything that she does in. Thing is, as they move up the levels and especially if she's good at it, the training hours go up and something has to give, isn't it?

Good luck with deciding, lol

#344 mards

Posted Today, 12:58 PM

20 hours a week??/ what level is that? My DD does 14 and thats enough  - level 5 - it won't go up too much for level 6.

I know a few IDP girls that do 20 hours a week - they finish school at lunch on a Friday to do a 5 hour session to fit it all in for the week.

#345 Fionam2

Posted Today, 01:12 PM

DD is currently level 7 and is giong to level 8 next year.

she extra hours will be mainly before school with the start time of 6am !!

Apparently there is a big push from gymnastics australia to develop more skills of the girls as apparently the isnt many girls that go into the elite group and its tough against other counties how do way more hours then we do in australia. or some reason like that.

my DD does many others sports so it is going to be a big decision for her.  it want actually clash with her other sports but she is also in the selective class in high school and we have told her if her grades drop (she is an a to b grade student) that her sports will be very limited.

its funny as she has limited time to do homework but never procrastinates (how ever you spell that word) and just does her homework whereas my DS has way more time to do homework and is always leaving it till the day before.

there will be some big conversations coming up with DD about this gym decision.

thanks girls for listening to me.

i hope everyone is going well

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

28 names for babies born in winter

Looking for some baby name inspiration for a bub born during the colder months? Here are 28 options from around the world to consider.

WIN A $500 VISA DEBIT CARD

Are you a parent, or are you planning to be? Tell us what you think and you'll go in the draw to win a $500 gift card!

Why sleep is so important for learning and play

During the first 12 months of life, your baby's brain grows rapidly, and getting enough restful sleep is vital for assisting this growth.

The horrible act that sparked a brawl at child's birthday party

The uncle of the seven-year-old girl at the centre of the brawl at child's birthday party in Sydney's west has described the events leading up to the alarming show of violence.

Babies 'benefit from iPads at a young age': study

More often than not, you'll read that screen time for children should be kept to a minimum - but some scientists are now challenging this way of thinking.

Do mums really just obsessively talk about their children?

Natalie Reilly describes three main types of conversations mothers have. And, surprise, they're not all about kids.

Why some dogs might attack babies or young kids

A baby's smell, the noises it makes and even its gaze can contribute to the potential for a dog attack.

Postnatal depression support gets $23 million boost in NSW

The Baird government will include $22.8 million in Tuesday's NSW budget to expand a program designed to help parents at risk of postnatal depression (PND).

William Tyrrell's parents share heartbreaking letter before fourth birthday

The parents of missing child William Tyrrell have released a heartbreaking letter ahead of his fourth birthday on Friday.

Mum demands refund for 'beargina' christening cake

It was meant to be a tasteful cake to help celebrate a three-year-old's christening.

Hilaria Baldwin shares post-baby selfie

Just two days after giving birth, actor Alec Balwin's wife posted a post-baby picture on social media.

5 things no one warns you about after giving birth

How many times have you been warned about all the sleepless nights you have to 'look forward to' when you become a parent?

Police officer sang nursery rhyme as heartbreaking photo was taken

A police officer arrived at a devastating scene on Thursday: a car crash resulting in all passengers being thrown from the vehicle.

Don't worry, working mums: Just leave Dad in charge at home

Want to open the boardroom doors for women? Encourage - heck, praise - dads who stay home with their children.

'Help - my child won't ever do what I ask!'

Compliance is part of the parent-child relationship, but so is resistance. It's all natural.

The joys - and challenges - of having children born years apart

When the days of changing nappies are over, most parents breathe a sigh of relief. Others have another round ahead of them.

'I'm just as tired, scared and stressed as you': stay-at-home dad's plea

I'm really lucky to have two great kids, but I found it really tough with so much being aimed at the mothers and not the fathers.

Can you spot the drowning child?

Can you spot him in the video? The child who loses his rubber ring, panics, and then almost drowns? It isn't easy.

Uterine fibroids and fertility: the facts

Uterine fibroids can affect fertility, but with treatment it's possible to conceive and carry a baby.

The truth about birthing a big baby

When told that they are having a 'big baby', many women have a lot of fears. But those fears are often unfounded.

6 tips for transitioning back to work after baby

Mums returning to work - and yes, dads too - aren't the same as when they left. But that doesn't mean they're not as good as they once were.

Couple reveals pregnancy with epic Britney Spears parody

How do you create an original pregnancy announcement and gender reveal? You turn to Britney Spears.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

27 funny ultrasound pictures

Ultrasounds give you a look at your growing baby ... and sometimes what appears to their womb-buddy, or your bub in an amusing position.

Eight months pregnant and addicted to eating soap

This bizarre snack takes the cake (of soap) when it comes to weird pregnancy cravings.

Noodles, peanuts, wee wees and lady bits

Yes, I know it's silly. I know all the advice from experts is to use the right terminology from the moment your child can talk. But I just can't.

Mum's brave battle for unborn triplets amid cancer diagnosis

Bree O'Malley has a cancer diagnosis, a rare blood condition, kidney and liver failure and other complications. And she is pregnant with triplets.

6 things great dads have mastered

So thank you to all the fathers who get up early, go to bed late, and fill their days dancing to the beautiful beat of parenthood.

When having a baby means losing old friends

Having a baby means big changes to many relationships - including friendships you'd previously thought unbreakable.

Baby names on the verge of the top 1000

What about the baby names right below the top 1000, hiding just out of sight?

Waitress's kind gesture for grieving parents goes viral

A couple grieving the loss of their baby were touched when a young waitress took care of their cafe bill.

'My baby hits and bites - help!'

Is it normal for babies to turn mean like this? And normal or not, how can we get it to stop?

8 ways to keep your sanity when transitioning to two kids

Are you riding the sleep-deprived, multiple-children train? These tips just might save your sanity.

Dad, 33, battles breast cancer

Breast cancer never crossed Jamie Cox's mind.

'I'm really going to be a dad?!': real men react to baby news

Breaking the news to your partner that you're pregnant - especially if it's something you've both been dreaming of - is a moment you'll never forget.

9 times parenting is a pain

Being a parent is wonderful, but oh boy can it also be painful at times. And no, I'm not talking about the dinner-bath-bed (wine) routine.

In praise of midwives

These women will always have space in my heart. Not just because they helped bring my children 'earth side', but because of the way that they cared for me during the vulnerability of my labours.

Endometriosis can increase risks in pregnancy, study finds

It's long been known that women with endometriosis have difficulties getting pregnant.

How your birth month affects your health

A new study suggests that the month you were born has a connection with the diseases you might develop in your lifetime.

10 of the most amazing playrooms

Designing a playroom for your kids? We've done the research and found the best play spaces out there.

How do you know when your family is complete?

How do you know when you’re done having babies? For some, it's obvious. For others, it's harder to know for sure.

Delay clamping babies' umbilical cords for better health and development

There is no dispute that we need to clamp and cut the umbilical cord, but there remains controversy over how soon after birth this should occur.

How to help a child with separation anxiety

I have a very attached preschooler who has a difficult time saying goodbye to me.

Talk to us

WIN A $500 VISA DEBIT CARD

The numbers are in and we can now bring you the 2014 top baby name list for Australia.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.