Gymnastics

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#251 mards

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:11 AM

So!! is NDP all the SAME now in every state??? Same routines etc? i hope so - so it can be more streamlined - and we are all talking about the same thing..

DD coach still talking 5 skills but may compete 4 - we shall see.

Welcome tomcats mum - we are in NSW Regional,

Unatheowl - welcome to the weird world of NDP!!

i think this year is going to be extremely challenging for all involved judges, coaches and gymnasts

#252 tomkatsmum

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:32 AM

mards,

Thanks for the welcome.

Yep basically the changes, which are frustrating, are designed to bring everyone into line. It is a move back to the way it was run through the 80's or thereabouts. The premise for doing it actually makes sense, but agreed is frustrating.

Basically, it is a more technically base approach. So every gymnast at each level competes the same skills, and if I understand correctly there are no more bonuses. What they were finding is that you could have a technically beautiful gymnast who could potentially be outscored by a gymnast who had "sloppy" basic skills, but threw in lots of bonuses. They are trying to bring the focus back on to performing the skils correctly - consistently.

However - in competition, gymnasts will compete against like training hours. So effectively, IDP, NDP and State streams still exsist in regard to training hours.

Does that make sense? sorry if it is a bit confusing It will make more sense in the future years, but a bit disruptive for those particularly moving between 4/5 and 7/8.  And Yes, Complusorys have been extended through to level 5 for floor. And there are no routines for levels 1 and 2. Many clubs will choose to run competitions inhouse, or in their local area where gymnasts can compete a routine (or at least that is the word in our local area) just to introduce true competition experience.

Most clubs will continue to extend gymnasts by training skills at the higher level, but competing them at their current level.

It has been a hard one for coaches and clubs to get their head around as well. I know they are running information sessions as we speak here in vic today.

we start back in earnest tomorrow night - DD 8 doing 3 nights of 3/12 hrs, DS 10 1 night 2 hours and DD 4 1 hour (much to her disgust!)

Good luck for the year ahead everyone..

Cheers. x

#253 TenYears

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:52 AM

The levels change thing seems to be causing great confusion around here.  I know for a fact that nobody from my daughter's old club has their head around them because as of Mid-Jan the head coach hadn't looked at them, then in late January all three senior coaches left the gym!  Head of WAG position has been vacant for nearly a year, and only quite junior coaches are left.  They are still operating on the old levels and I suspect there will be a huge amount of alarm when somebody tries to pick up the pieces and actually starts looking at the information.

But anyway, I have moved my daughter to a new gym that seems to be completely on top of it.  Not that I am, as my daughter will be new to competition levels.  She is 5.5 and is going from an IDP development squad at the old gym into level 3 at the new gym, doing 3x3 hours.  But she will be the youngest, and the only girl there who has never done a routine before. She will start next week and she is equal parts excited and nervous.

Edited by TenYears, 01 February 2015 - 08:54 AM.

#254 Unatheowl

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:28 AM

I am completely out of the loop of the routines  etc.  I don't even know what NDP is really.  It seems incredibly complicated now :(

When I was young, which was around the 80's (to be read in a croaky voice) all the levels were prescribed up until level 7 which we called "free exercise".  Then we could choose from elements etc to put into the routines.

Everyone trained well above the skill level which was in the level routines.  Prob because they were so easy back then.  There then was a bit of a steep jump in skills in competitions once you were doing level 7 or 8 but I do seem to recall the emphasis was not to do more difficult things if you could not stick them even if they were of higher value so people tended to err in favour of easier things.  At least that's how it was in my gym.

When I did gymnastics, the bars were much closer together :)

#255 EssentialBludger

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:14 AM

Mards AFAIK is is now all the same. Levels 3-6 all compete the same compulsory routines. Although I seem to hear different things from different people, and I'm not sure our coaches even know a whole lot lol.

I see giant deductions on floor this year. From all perspectives, coaches may not be used to coaching the dancier bits, gymnasts may not be used to doing them, judges may not be used to seeing them etc. and if they all have to do the same, it's going to be obvious, regardless if their actual skills are perfect or not. I think it's going to take a few years to smooth out.

Also, I hope they don't put former club level girls competing against former NDP girls. I don't see how that could be fair.

#256 mards

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:50 AM

Hows it all going for everyones gymies? - My DD is frantically trying for the Kip. The coach has now done the judging course so knows its a full mark deduction if kip is not done.

tumbling is going OK.  - She so desperately wants to try level 5 as level 4 will be of no challenge to her.

Hows it all going??

#257 karkat

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:29 PM

My little gymmie is in the last few weeks of being a gymmie
:( Despite the potential she shows and her strength, she's had enough and is off to try tennis next term. Basically because level 2 is no longer competitive and at our club are only doing "circuit challenges" with the rec kids every term or 2 she's saying that it's not as fun anymore. I believe they're doing a lot more strength/conditioning/flexibility work in preparation for level 3 which I can see as a great thing long term, however my 6 yr old just doesn't care and constantly saying that "we don't even do routines anymore!"

So I'm a bit sad for her, because she did used to absolutely love it, maybe she'll come back to it in a couple of years when she's a bit older and can cope with 4hrs+ of training a week. Quite excited though about less trips in to town!

Hope everyone else's kids are doing ok.

Mards - the kip is awful, as an ex-gymnast myself it took me over a year to get it consistently!! Hope your DD does better than me!

#258 EssentialBludger

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:33 PM

We're having major issues at the moment. Not sure how this year is going to turn out tbh...

#259 karkat

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:25 PM

In general Essential Bludger? Like with all the changes or more specifically with something your DD's struggling with, coaching problems?.

I know at our gym they've had some issues that they put a few of the older level 2's up to 3 that weren't quite ready, but held back a couple of level 2's in 2 who skill wise might not be 100% ready but maturity wise would cope quite well. Also the same problem in level 4, a huge bunch of last yrs 3's moved up who had only done 1 term in level 3!

Hope everything works out for you and your DD.

#260 protart roflcoptor

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:30 PM

My daughter is back at work this week after a holiday OS. Training her 2 competitive teams for their first comp in 7 weeks. Not sure who will be more nervous!

#261 EssentialBludger

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:32 PM

Major mental block on bars and a coach who isn't doing anything to help her and just keeps telling her to get over it or she won't be competing this year. :(

#262 Ninja Lemur

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:55 PM

Any parents of male gymnasts in here?

#263 mards

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:47 PM

mmm sounds like its going really WELL for everyone then?????????

mmmm i think comps are going to be messy!

we are going to look at level 7 state comp this weekend at Rooty hill as a friend is competing. so should be interesting to see - i think high levels are all sorted as they pretty much can do a lot of the skills.

Ninja - i think there is at least one patten of a MAG gymnast on here somewhere?

#264 EssentialBludger

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:58 PM

Apart from this issue it hasn't been too bad mards! Floor and beam routines seem to be coming along nicely, kip seems to be pretty consistent now, hope by July the rest comes together! Still not sure I made the right call with level 5 but we will see!

#265 mards

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:00 PM

I reckon if they did 4 they would be bored out of their minds though. - challenge  of a year for them -DD may have to repeat it next year - we will see what happens eh

#266 EssentialBludger

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:37 PM

Yep you're right, 4 would have been hideously boring. DD was so keen to start tumbling. I do anticipate a repeat of 5. 6 looks to be a huge jump skill wise, clear hips etc.

#267 lishermide

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:54 PM

Looks like I last participated in this thread in 2013. Oops.

We're on a break from gym at the moment. DD13 had an accident at gym in early December. Spent 2 months in a neck/body brace, and is now out of it & waiting for her next set of X-rays in another month, until then we really don't know when/if she can go back to training. Honestly, it's hard to know what to do with all our free time, I could get used to it! At peak training last year she was doing over 20hrs a week. She is bored now, but a little afraid of going back to gym.

My older DD who had to give up gym a few years back due to a hip problem is now doing her beginners coaching certification. She's going to do WAG coaching.

#268 TenYears

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:18 PM

Oh my word, poor thing.  I hope she doesn't experience too many fears if she is allowed to go back to it.

Good on your older daughter for doing the coaching training.  There is such a demand for good coaches out there - with that qualification she'll always be able to walk into work.

I am wondering if my daughter's new gym made the right call putting her into level three, as she is well behind the other girls in her group.   But I think, like your daughters, she would have been bored at the lower level.  She is accustomed to an accelerated program and has done sooooo much strength and conditioning that she seems to be catching up to the other girls really quickly.  It only took her a couple of weeks to get her back hip circle, which has given her confidence!

But I don't know if she will be competition ready.  She has the skills, but she still looks really rough and you can tell that compared to the other girls she really hasn't had her form corrected much until now.  I expect she'll do two years at level three (which is good, as next year I think she will still be too young and short to jump between the bars as level 4 requires).  But at least that has her doing routines rather than circuits.

Edited by TenYears, 25 February 2015 - 10:20 PM.

#269 mards

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:30 AM

lishermide wow! - what was she trying to do before she ended up in a brace? i hope she is recovering  well. What coaching course is required to teach>> my DD talks about coaching all the time - and she is only 9 LOL - what level were you at at 20 hours a week - we are at  14 with level 5 now.

Well big news - DD got her KIP last night!! - hopeiing it will continue!!

#270 lishermide

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:17 AM

She was doing a double pike to back, which is essentially a 1 3/4 somersault, on the trampoline. Pulled out wrong and landed on her neck instead of her back. She does T&T, not WAG. I have no idea what level she is, tramp has levels, then age & she was working on age. I think her current age is a minimum level 6.

Congrats to your DD!

The coaching involves an online training module, then a face to face course. And on the job training. Our gym is really good at putting the young gymnasts in to coaching roles. They have to be 14 to do it.

Edited by lishermide, 26 February 2015 - 07:43 AM.

#271 EssentialBludger

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:50 AM

Yay for the kip mards!!! It's such a big achievement!!

#272 EssentialBludger

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:54 AM

I had a chat with DDs coach last night and feel a little better. She agreed that there was just too much pressure, so is going to lay off bars for a few weeks and just work the others. DD was smiling again when I picked her up, so that was nice to see.

She can work her straight arm kips if she wants, but no high bar jumping for awhile until she feels ready :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special Ticket Offer, Save $8!

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show is back this April! Save $8 off the door price for a limited time only!

Finding baby name inspiration in unusual places

Sometimes the greatest baby name ideas come from the most unexpected places, as these EB members show.

The case for inducing at 37 weeks

While we often think of pregnancy as a 40 week affair, experts agree that 37 weeks is actually “full term". So is there an argument for inducing all births at 37 weeks?

Does controlled crying really work?

Controlled-crying techniques may help some babies sleep through the night, but for many exhausted new parents, it's just a recipe for more tears all round.

How I taught my infant to use a toilet

As people become more aware of these benefits, I hope more parents will practice this method, so we can cut down on nappies and improve baby bonding.

'I thought it was impossible': Emily Symons pregnant at 45

Aussie actress Emily Symons has announced she is pregnant with her first baby.

Shallow water blackout kills fit, healthy dad

A little girl will grow up without her father after the fit and healthy 34-year-old passed away while doing something he had practised his whole life.

Afternoon naps may be bad for toddlers' sleep

You could be doing yourself a disservice by encouraging your toddler to have an afternoon nap, according to new research.

Best gifts for newborns, new mums and christenings

We've compiled a guide to some of the most popular presents for newborns and new mums, and for christenings and naming days.

Jaime King to be a mum again

Actress Jaime King is pregnant with her second child, giving 16-month-old James a sibling.

Nannies should receive government funding

The Abbott government should extend funding to nannies, and direct childcare payments to low and middle income families, a landmark study on childcare has found. 

Common skin irritations in newborns (and how to treat them)

As many as one in two newborn babies suffer from skin irritations in their first few weeks. So what are the most common rashes and irritations to look out for?

10 wall decals for the nursery or playroom

Wall decals are the answer to creating a beautiful nursery or children's space without lifting a paint brush, a spirit level or even a hammer.

Preschooler walks 2.4km home alone

Three-year-old Cain Trainor headed off home after his first day at a new preschool without telling anyone.

Video: Why mums get nothing done

In spite of being in an almost constant state of motion while looking after the kids and trying to keep things together at home, it can seem as though parents have managed to get nothing on the to-do list done by the end of the day.

The middle name game

The middle name is no longer an afterthought, and parents' inspiration comes from many places.

Have a baby or your money back - but there's a catch

A new IVF scheme offers couples the chance to fall pregnant and give birth - or get their money back. But there's more to it than you might think.

A rare glimpse inside the womb

A baby born still inside the amniotic sac gave US doctors a rare glimpse at life inside the womb.

Battered mum forced to write to her attacker ex in jail

Three years ago Jason Hughes viciously attacked his ex-partner. Now she has to write to him three times a year.

Woman pleads not guilty to ultrasound scam

A West Australian woman will fight allegations that she scammed expectant mums by selling them fake ultrasound pictures of babies.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Brain damaged mum receives compensation

A Sydney mother who suffered brain damage when she was hit by a car while pushing her newborn baby in a pram has reached a confidential out-of-court settlement with the driver's insurance company.

Indigenous midwives break down the barriers

A culturally sensitive midwifery service has gained the trust and respect of Aboriginal women.

The Katering Show's next big delivery

Most mums-to-be plan to take things easy and perhaps have a little break from work as the birth of their baby draws near. Not Kate McCartney.

53 creative pregnancy announcements

Announcing that you're expecting can be a time to express your creativity, sense of humour and imagination. Check out how other parents and parents-to-be have broken the news to friends and family.

Why I have mixed feelings about Cindy Crawford's leaked photo

Last week an un-retouched photo of model Cindy Crawford surfaced, showing the 48-year-old mother-of -two posing in underwear.

How to create a Peppa Pig pancake

Thought your toddler could not love pancakes any more than they already do? How about if the breakfast treat came in the shape of every two-year-old's favourite cartoon character?

'It's a little life, not a little loss': pregnancy after miscarriage

I thought I was never going to be able to have a successful pregnancy. I decided that I wasn't going to form an emotional attachment with this baby.

Bonds Baby Search 2015: what you need to know

February 18 marks the start of one of the most prolific annual baby competitions in Australia: the Bonds Baby Search. And this year is going to be more special than ever.

Who will manage your Facebook account when you're gone?

This is not something that people like to talk about, but Facebook has announced that it will grant users more control over what happens to their pages after they die.

Struggling mum of four wins $188 million

Mother of four Marie Holmes was financially struggling after quitting her jobs at Walmart and McDonald's in order to care for her children.

Pregnant obese women a 'relatively new problem', coroner hears

A first-time mother whose daughter died hours after her frightening birth insists she was never told of the risks of being obese and pregnant.

'I'm angry as hell': the story behind mum's passionate vaccination plea

She has labelled parents who do not vaccinate their children "misinformed imbeciles" - and for that, she makes no apologies.

IKEA hacks for the nursery and kids' rooms

Are you one of those that know the whole IKEA catalogue by heart? Love their stuff but want to personalise it? Here's some inspiration to help you realise the potential of IKEA furniture and fittings.

8 different kinds of tantrums

I never thought I’d say this, but for a brief moment last week, Kim Kardashian and I had something in common: both our kids had public tantrums.

Polycystic ovary syndrome: symptoms, treatment and your fertility

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the most common female hormonal condition, affecting roughly one in 12 Australian women.

What's the best position for giving birth?

If doing it on your back is out, what's the best position for labour and birth?

Wife forgives snake catcher husband for car surprise

With Valentine's Day coming up, Nat Gilbert could be forgiven for thinking her husband might be planning a surprise for her.

Kids who meet milestones at their own pace

We usually only hear the success stories: tales of the two-year-old who’s talking, running and completely toilet trained. But other stories need to be told too.

Ruby shines as Bonds Baby

Sarah Kiss has a word of advice for proud mums and dads who are keen to enter their babies in this year's Bonds Baby Search Competition - just have fun.

Why dads should go to sleep school

If your family needs to go to sleep school, go with them. You are part of that family and you are part of the solution.

36 baby names inspired by food and drinks

A French court may have ruled out Nutella as a baby name, but that doesn't have to stop you from taking inspiration from the supermarket (or bottle shop). See what parents in the US have chosen for their delicious little ones.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Win a KitchenAid Mixer

Let's celebrate 300,000 fans on Facebook

To celebrate, and to thank our amazing fans, we?re giving away a KitchenAid Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.