Gymnastics

• Please log in to reply
894 replies to this topic

#26 MakeItHappen

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

Oh Gymnastics original.gif I done competitive gym until I was 16 got to level 8. I now coach it! done judging for a while too but unfortunately my work schedule doesn't allow me to anymore sad.gif
I hope to be able to watch a bit of the olympics this year, they make it look so easy! will try and record it as its usually on during the night or when im at work

#27 mards

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

My DD is doing her first Level1 Comp next sunday - i am so happy for her!! - any tips for first timers??

#28 alwayshappy

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

My DD, 8, is in her second year and at Lvl 2.  She absolutely loves it.  She trained for about 1 hour last year and is training 2 hours this year - I thought that was heavy! They have local competitions and the really good gymnasts go away to regional comps.  There are a few Lvl 10 girls in my daughters gymnasium, so wonderful to watch them perform.

I love gymnastics too but it wasn't around when I was young.

Can't wait to watch it at the Olympics but will probably need to record it too.

#29 FionaM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

mards - what type of gymastics is your daughter doing ?

a great tip that was given to me with my DD first comp was take a cushion to sit on as depending on the venue the seats or benches could be unconfortable and also take a blanket, some of those gym halls are cold.
Some of the comps that my DD has competed at have been running late so its always handing to have your phone charged (if you have any games for them) or even bring along a hand held device (ipod or ds) to keep them occupied.
2 years ago the nsw state competition was running over 3 hours late and the kids were so bored as there was nothing quiet to do for that time, so i now make sure i have something with me.
also the main thing is for your DD to have fun and enjoy it.

#30 mards

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

She's doing the NDP prgramme.

Thanks for the tips..  

Thanks FionaM and Always happy for your tips - Yep DD loves the gym!! - we R NOT going to be doing extra hours until next year - her coach aint that happy about it - but she has to live with it!!
we have to get through year one too!

#31 protart roflcoptor

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:44 PM

Have been through a few of the Gymnastic sports.

DD1 did Sports Aerobics to Nationals, DD2 did Sports Aerobics and Sports Acro (now acrobatic gymnastics) to Nationals and WAG to state level. Trained up to 12-14 hrs a week. I also coached and judged sports aero.
All behind us now.

Wish I had pay TV to watch the olympics.

#32 FionaM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

mards - so that is the artistic gymnastics.

I think some of the coaches have to realise that there is a life outside gym.

My DD's coach (who recently got married) cant believe how i work and DD still gets to training (ok one session a week she is an hour late due to running training which the coach is fine with), so so far we have been lucky with this coach. even when the coach reqeusted another session she spoke to the mums concerned so that we could work out a suitable time on saturday for the training (as most of the girls do a winter sport either soccer or netball).

fingers crossed it stays that way.

ossim roflcopter - wow you have been through a few different types of gym sports.

#33 FionaM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

well i jinxed myself as DD's coach (who is the head coach of the gymnastics) told me last night that she is pregnant.
I am so happy for her.

My DD just loves this coach as well as gymnastics but i am so worried that she will not do it next year as she is not that impressed with the other coach.

unfortunately there is no other suitable gym in our area, but i am keeping my fingers crossed that DD will be happy.

another mum & i suggested we could look after her baby at the gym while she coached the girls as the coach is that good !!

the coach mentioned she will have atleast 6 months off but as her mum is not near by she doesnt really know how she can juggle it all.keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out ok

#34 ~Clio~

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

HI Ladies, I just saw a couple of people asked who my sister in law is - it is Emily Little original.gif She flew out yesterday after a gruelling six weeks at camp. So excited for her having such an amazing experience! My house is slowly becoming boganified with aussie flags and decorations in preperation for out Olympics Party while we watch her!!

#35 mards

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

Wow Clio - I just googled her

http://london2012.olympics.com.au/athlete/emily-little

you must be sooo excited for her!!! - how fantastic!

#36 Jamelex

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

Glad to see there's other gym fans on EB, it's one of my favourite sports! I, too, get frustrated at the lack of recognition and coverage of gymnastics in Australia. I tend to watch a lot on YouTube.    
You must be so excited for Emily! Since Lauren had to pull events, Emily would basically be our best AAer. Let her know that she has plenty of fans biggrin.gif
Also giving a quick shout out for those interested, a cool Australian based gymnastics blog here http://ozgymnastics.blogspot.com.au/?m=1

#37 lishermide

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:33 AM

Clio, how exciting for your family! I wish Emily all the best.

DD10 has L3 State Trials this Sunday, and of course came home from school limping with a swollen toe. A friend accidentally stomped on her with her cleated soccer shoes. I'm hoping it's gone down by tomorrow.  She's currently in 6th place overall, but needs to pull up to 5th to get on the State team.

Good tip about the blankets and cushion. I always take both. Our recent comps have been early morning and its been freezing.

DD12 had her hip surgery this week. Her doc says we won't know if it's been successful for another 6-12 mths. I'm doubting she's got any chance of getting back to gym, as much as she hopes she still will sad.gif So glad she got the win at State last year to finish on such a high note at least original.gif

#38 mards

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

Wow what an EPIC day!! - Hunter Champs were on today - and it was DD first time level 1 NDP.. she didnt do well at all on vault/ and fell off beam, did oK with bars - didnt get her glide swing right. but ACED floor with a 13.5 (first time) im very proud! - she didnt place but she came back strong on the floor!!!  she is sooo happy and wants to do more!! ahhhh!! it was so cold in the gym today - the blanket was well used.

lishermide - i really hope your DD is ok with the toe (these things always happen at the wrong time!!

also i hope your other daughter recovers well...

love love hearing how everyone is doing..

#39 lishermide

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

DD was a bit unhappy with her performance today. She made two major errors on  bars which is normally one of her best apparatus. Placed on all the other apparatus though original.gif Because of the bars her overall score didn't get her in to State.

Well done to your daughter Mards, 13.5 is a great score. DD got a 13 something on vault today, her best vault score in a long time.

My older Dd started crying and left the gym when the girls started warming up sad.gif Poor girl is so devastated she can't do her beloved gym. I let her go and sit in the car with her sketch books instead of watching.

Edited by lishermide, 22 July 2012 - 08:54 PM.

#40 Jjbeanz

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

We also love gymnastics in our house, I have 3 girls doing it. The older 2 do Artistic & Acrobatics 7 hrs a week and my little one does the junior gym 1 hr a week. It's disappointing that acrobatic gymnastics is not included in the Olympics as its such an amazing sport! I always look forward to watching it at the Olympics :-D

#41 laridae

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (mards @ 14/05/2012, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my DD6 has just been asked to step up from 4 hours a week to 9 hours a week training.

That seems an awful lot, granted, I did start gymnastics fairly late (at 10, I did want to do it from about 4 or so but mum wouldn't let me), but I only did 2 hours a week, we only went up one level a year though (and I got my level 2 badge).  I didn't do it for very long as after that it conflicted with high school.  
My parents didn't allow me to compete in the competitions.

My DD has started at KinderGym, just for fun at the moment - but she's got pretty good balance on the beam.  She'll probably grow too tall for gymnastics though - her dad is 6'7" (I'm a shorty at 5'3").

Edited by laridae, 22 July 2012 - 09:41 PM.

#42 kathbaulds

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

We are a gym household here too. My 3 girls all do rhythmic and absolutely love it. If they are naughty all I have to say is that I won't take them to training and that enough to stop it!  biggrin.gif

My eldest (13yrs) was doing both artistic and rhythmic at the same time but the training got too much so she gave away the artistic and kept up the rhythmic. She has been doing it for 4 years and gone to Nationals 4 times. She trains 12-15hrs per week depending on when comps are.

DD2 (10yrs) also  trains 12 hours a week. She qualified for Nationals the first time this year.  DD3 (8yrs) does rec gym artistic and 3 hours rhythmic per week. She isn't as keen as the other 2  so I'm not sure how long she will keep going. She likes other sports - which DH is pretty happy about!

People always ask me about training hours and if its too much etc etc, but for us it works. They fit in their school work, they do other activities as well (ballet, piano, art, soccer) and granted, they do miss some parties and other social functions, but they go to a great club and have really close gym friends so they don't mind. They are fit and flexible and most importantly they love their sport. The girls are the ones who push going to gym. They want to train and compete and the minute they want to stop they can.

I can't wait for the Olympics we will all be glued to it and hopefully the gym coverage will be better than the past!

#43 mards

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

f they are naughty all I have to say is that I won't take them to training and that enough to stop it!   - that is SO me!! all i have to say is no gym and its like whoa!!! turn around in  a second.

Well she is doing 6 hours a week now - 2x3 hour sessions - and i have told the coach we wont consider 9 till next year - she will be in year 2!!

As  kathbaulds said - we fit it all in.. (with everything else that goes on) but gym is all my DD does - she did dance last year - and chose the gym over it this year - thus the increase in hours.

Lishermede - that would have been awful for your older DD yesterday - they all love it so much eh!!

happy gyming this week eveyrone - we have the next comp on the 12 AUG at our own gym - so she will be far more comfy competing this time - its just a friendly

#44 mards

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

does anyone know when the gymnastics will be on tv - i know they start tomorrow - i dont have foxtell!! -ahhhhhhhhhh!! - i dont think they publish a schedule for free to air?

Clio - how exciting for Emily!!! - you must be bursting with pride!

#45 Prickly

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

If you are on Facebook, Gymnastics Australia are keeping their page updated.

https://www.facebook.com/GymnasticsAustralia

#46 mards

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

cheers will look

Saw Emily on floor last night - wonderful routine!! - you must be proud Clio!

#47 mards

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

cheers will look

Saw Emily on floor last night - wonderful routine!! - you must be proud Clio!

#48 mards

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

anyones kids going to TEAM STATE (i think that's what it is) Homebush next month??

#49 FionaM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

my daughter is in the state RG champs next month and im keeping my fingers crossed (and everything else) that we are back from overseas in time.
We booked our holiday nearly a year ago and i found out earlier this year that state is now friday to sunday and we dont fly back in until friday night.

I looked changing the flights and it was going to cost us nearly $3,000 to come back a day earlier !!

i am worried a bit about it but we have discussed it with DD and she knows it is out of our hands.

mards - is that the WAG comp ?

#50 mards

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:20 AM

Ahh its the WAG comp - so frustrating as now have been told that it may start on the Thurs!! - the coaches have NO idea!! - when do you leave to go OS FionaM - we are going away long weekend for an extended break  too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.