Gymnastics

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#226 whatnamenow

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:03 PM

saw fracture clinic with DD today.  He said 6 months of physio before she is back to somewhat normal.  She's not sure she's coming back.  Will keep in this thread as still have one Level 2 girl and my little dd who is 2.  This thread is probably the only place ( apart from gym) who understand that I am trying now to get her prepared for the development squad...

I mentioned it once elsewhere on EB and got flamed....

#227 mards

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:45 AM

Hi there,
Anyone going to REGIONALS in Sydney level 1-3 WAG this weekend?

Have a great week
M

#228 Fionam2

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:51 PM

hi gym mums
well DD had her state (NSW) competition the other and got 2nd overall in RG so she was sooo happy.  we were very proud of her as we had only just got back from 3 weeks overseas the tuesday before the sunday competition.
she is moving up to level 7 next year and their comps are early in the year with state in April so not really that much time to learn new routines.  DD is really training hard and is picking the new routine for the first apparatus up well (it normally takes her a while to learn the routine), so figners crossed for the otehr 3 routines as well.  its 4 routines for DD next year and she has only ever competed in 3 routines per competition so this all be new for her.
now its level 7 they can wear any leotard (there is no requirement to wear the club one) so im hoping DD can borrow 2 from another gymnast and i did mention i would buy one.  Buying a leotard for Rhythmic is extremely hard as no many people stock them in australia.
if i cant find one hopefully DD can get by with just the 2.

twinmum - i hope your DD is ok.

#229 mards

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:39 PM

Hey Fiona2 _ RG seems so difficult!! doing all those things on each aparatus!! - Awesome result for your daughter - and doing level 7 Yep its weird how the higher levels even in WAG - have all their comps at the beginning of the year

here is a local FB site - from where i live that sell RG leos:
maybe have a look and see i you like any of them?

https://www.facebook...eotards?fref=ts

#230 karkat

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:03 PM

It's been a while since I've been on here, but congratulations to all the great competition results and hope your DD heals quickly and without complication whatnamenow, must've been so scary!

So DD has her last competition for the year tomorrow, just a local invitational and will be competing level 1. There was a bit of a rigmarole surrounding which level she and the other girls who had recently moved up to level 2 would be competing in. DD is unfortunately for her the only one of her group to drop back to level 1, although she's one of the better one's that moved up. Basically it was decided that due to her age (not 6 til Dec) and combined with a lack of competitiveness to hold her back. I'm secretly quite relieved as there's so many level 2's in our area and a couple of girls in DD's club talk a lot about scores and winning which DD just doesn't understand and stresses her out. So hopefully she has a good comp at level 1 and finishes the year on a high!

#231 mards

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:05 AM

Karkat- How did she go?

SO regional state has finished!! all over for another year!
our DD team came 4th over all in juniors level 3 so great way to end the year -

Next week we find out what level they will be competing in 2015.. all exciting as the new levels program comes out next year....

Cheers to everyone

#232 karkat

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:25 PM

So DD had a great comp. Placed 4th on beam (she stayed on for the first time in competition!), 3rd vault, 1st floor and 4th overall! She had such a great time with the little group of level 1's from the club and then helped a couple of the older girls flash scores for the level 2's while I did my volunteer duty. Really happy that she finished off the year with a positive experience.

Congrats to your DD too Mards!

#233 ElizabethIAm

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:53 PM

Hi gym mums, I didn't even know this thread was here lol. My DD is 9 and she has just finished NDP2. Her coach said they will probably move up to 4 or 5 next year but who knows as last year they said her team would skip level 2 and that didn't happen. She currently does gymnastics for 10.5hours every week. The comps were not the best for us this year as they were low on girls and she was always in a team of 3 which means no room for error. My girl also does dance comps which does often cause a clash on comp days, one of these days she is going to have to make a choice. She said dancing is more fun but in gymnastics she learns more stuff lol

#234 mards

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:29 AM

Wow Elizabeth dance and gym - now that would be really hard! - we have said to DD that you can do any other sport you please but you would have to to drop gym. DD coach has not divulged what level they are doing - hopefully find out this week - all the new levels next year seem to be "less intense" so i wonder if she will skip 4 - time will tell -

Hey Elizabeth - coaches do tend to change their minds at times hey!!!

Karkat - thats great for your DD!! great way to end the year...

#235 twinmumplus1

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:56 AM

I use these guys for RG leos (well one of the places- LOL)

https://www.facebook...ythmics?fref=ts

DD is currently training towards level 4 RG.   After much debate with her coach, she is sticking with level 4 (she wants her to aim for 5 - but with bars as her weakest apparatus, it just isn't the right fit for her).  State team have just told her she needs to fit in an hour of ballet training as well. She also loves her hockey - going to make the shuffling after school very interesting.  LOL

#236 mards

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:51 PM

twinmum - so does your DD do RG & WAG?

#237 ziggy72

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:06 PM

Hi ladies,

I am just wondering if anyone can tell me of any gymnastics programs for my son who is doing level 3 MAG. We are moving to Melbourne (inner north) and the vic webiste is not showing anywhere close by. It is so important to DS that I need to find this out quickly, to ease the pain of moving him from interstate.

TIA.

#238 Feral Snow

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:18 PM

View Postziggy72, on 18 December 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

Hi ladies,

I am just wondering if anyone can tell me of any gymnastics programs for my son who is doing level 3 MAG. We are moving to Melbourne (inner north) and the vic webiste is not showing anywhere close by. It is so important to DS that I need to find this out quickly, to ease the pain of moving him from interstate.

TIA.

http://www.easterngymnastics.com.au/

Depending on what suburb you're moving to, it's a very quick trip along the Eastern Freeway at non-peak times, and a bit slower at peak!

#239 ziggy72

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:43 PM

Thanks Feral Snow. We are moving to around Clifton Hill. Would there be anything closer?

#240 WhatWouldBuffyDo?

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:12 PM

What about BTYC?  I believe it is in Springvale Rd, Donvale.

Just map checked it is 15 mins, also via the Eastern Freeway.

#241 TenYears

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:18 PM

My daughter's gym just dramatically revised next term's timetable after promising us that the timetable released last term was final.  We got the email today - less than a week before term begins and 24 hours before enrolments must be finalised.

They cancelled entire classes, merged others, and just generally created a nightmare for any parent who has painstakingly arranged their work, after school care or other kids' activities around the gym.  As well as making bizarre decisions like putting five year olds in classes with nine year olds that go until 7:45 at night three times a week.

Final straw.  I have said that before but this time it really is, and tomorrow the wee one and I start gym hunting.  I got a bit teary when I made the decision, because the small one can't remember a time when she wasn't going to this gym, and she loves her friends there.  But we also need a bit more stability.

Does anyone ever look back with hindsight and wish they'd taken their kid to soccer joeys instead of baby gym?

#242 karkat

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:53 AM

That's crazy TenYears!! I can't believe they would put 5 yr  olds in a class finishing that late?!? I cracked it when DD had a few weeks of training finishing at 6.15, she's in bed by 7 and 45 min to get home, eat, shower etc was just so difficult, thankfully it was only a couple of weeks. I sometimes wonder what's going through the heads of head coaches!

Good luck for the gym hunting, are there many other gyms around your area?

#243 TenYears

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:46 PM

Thanks Karkat!  I had a very short list of gyms within an acceptable drive.  One was another IDP gym but I am done with all that so I called the other gym this morning.  They trialled and offered her a place in their NDP today.  My daughter liked the gym and the coaches, and I got a vibe front the place that was substantially more positive than the vibe at our current gym has been for a while, so I am a little bit excited about what the upcoming year holds!

She still has to train until 7pm, but she is used to that.  But that really is as late as we can go without it affecting her at school the next day.  
She eats dinner on the short trip home so she just has to shower and tumble into bed after training.  Big stuff for a little kid.

If she didn't love it beyond all reason, I would so pull the pin!

#244 EssentialBludger

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:56 PM

My 10yo is now training until 7.30 Mondays and Wednesdays, I admit I don't like it. Her normal bedtime is 7.30. Any later and I have a grumpy and emotional child the next day. It's at least 8 by the time we get home, then dinner, shower etc. Nothing much I can do about it though.

How's everyone going with the new levels? DD is in level 5, which is what I wanted, but she's struggling a bit. Floor choreography in particular seems to be getting her down. Beam is still her kryptonite and I'm wondering if she's even ready... Oops.

#245 mards

Posted Yesterday, 04:15 PM

Yep My DD is 9 and trains till 730 mon and wed and 8 on Fri nights - she did this last year too..

YEP level 5 struggling to get KIP - i think the summie on the floor is going to be a stretch should be a very very interesting year!!

#246 EssentialBludger

Posted Yesterday, 04:18 PM

We finally have the kip mards, but OMG what a struggle. Seriously, daily tears. I thought it would never happen.

#247 mards

Posted Yesterday, 04:22 PM

oh good on you EB!! - its huge isn't it!! - coach is happy for a few of them to do 4 - but its so close to 3!! she really wants them to go for it!!  - States is in JULY  - in NSW GULP! LOL

#248 EssentialBludger

Posted Today, 12:03 PM

I heard comps were going to be early in WA too, I'm seriously not sure about it. No right to complain of course as I would have whinged if she was put in level 4 hahahaha.

Seriously though, that damn floor choreography looks hard. I know we have the choice of 2 routines, so not sure if they chose the best of them or what. DD was a dancer before gym, and she's still struggling. And from what I hear, with the new rules and compulsory routines everything needs to be perfect or it will be really obvious. I dunno.

#249 Unatheowl

Posted Today, 01:32 PM

Hi all..  I am finally able to participate in this thread!  DD is 4 and starting school this year.  She was accepted into the NDP stream at our gym which is very exciting for her (ahem...me).  She has had 2 classes so far and seems to be going well.  She has been doing kindy gym since she was a toddler at this gym.

She will not be able to compete, as I understand it, until she is turning 6 which will be at least 1 year away, which is fine.  I'm glad if she takes it easy.  Apparently she is the youngest in the whole gym.

We are in Sydney in the Hills District.  Is there anyone else from around here?  Im sorry I didn't go through the whole thread to see if this has been mentioned.

#250 tomkatsmum

Posted Today, 02:36 PM

Hi Everyone,

I only just stumbling across this thread, and have spent the last hour reading away.

Is there anyone in here from Vic? we are in country Vic, and i have a dd 8 - doing WAG level 4 this year, ds10 starting Mag 2, and a DD 4.5 who is doing rec. I also coach at our club, having been a gymnast in my younger days, and this year am taking the WAG 2 squad.

It has been lovely reading your comments from people who are passionate about the sport as we are here.

Hope it's ok if I join in from time to time.

xx

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special Ticket Offer, Save $8!

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show is back this April! Save $8 off the door price for a limited time only!

Why I breastfed my son until he was three

The fact that I not only breastfed my son, but breastfed him for three and a half years, seems pretty incredible in retrospect.

Do babies and young children see ghosts?

Do babies and young children see ghosts? If you’ve pondered the question, you’re not alone.

15 years with Essential Baby: meet Therese

"Life has a funny way of giving you what you need when you need it the most."

Mum causes a stir by taking a stand against leggings

A mum has found herself the subject of debate after claiming tight bottoms cause lustful thoughts in men.

Don't set a parenting goal for 2015 - do this instead

The problem with goal setting as a parent is the measure. How do we really know if we’re succeeding?

5 pregnancy myths that just won't go away

When you're expecting, it often seems like everyone is keen to offer advice about what you should and shouldn't do in the interests of your health and wellbeing.

RPA hospital contacting mums after discovering vaccine storage fault

Sydney's Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (RPA) is trying to contact women who had babies at the facility after discovering a fault in a refrigerator containing vaccines.

'Nutella' not a baby name, French court says

A French court has blocked parents from naming their baby girl after the hazelnut spread Nutella, arguing it would make her the target of mockery.

Why I'm never calling myself 'just a mum' again

I’ve grown three human beings. I feed them, dress them, teach them, care for them and love them 24 hours a day. Yet for eight years, when I meet new people and they’ve asked me what I do, I tell them: “I’m just a mum”.

Rosie Batty named 2015 Australian of the Year

One year ago, Rosie Batty could not have imagined she'd be where she is. Tonight the grieving mum who put domestic violence on the national agenda was named Australian of the Year.

Five reasons to hug more

Hugging – some of us thrive on it, even depend on it – and then there are those who don't care for it really. So, are they missing out?

Help - my three-year-old has started throwing tantrums

My daughter never went through the "terrible twos" but began throwing wild tantrums shortly after her third birthday.

That's commitment

First peek at Sonia Kruger's daughter Maggie

"She smells so good, I could eat her," Kruger tells co-host David Campbell.

Mum assists in own caesarean surgery

A mum who partly delivered her own twins during a caesarean has encouraged other women to take control of their birthing experience.

How to handle common childhood regressions

Regression can be a natural and common part of development prompted by a variety of factors, but that doesn't make it less frustrating.

Disgruntled dad's pram ad goes viral

When buying a second hand pram, there are lots of things to take into consideration. 

Man discovers he's a dad after finding 55-year-old letter

Discovering you are about to father a baby is startling enough - never mind finding out you have a 61-year-old son.

15 thoughts mums have during a tantrum

Ranging from mild to feral and triggered by events both minor and major, tantrums certainly keep life interesting.

Natural pain relief in the early stages of labour

While managing labour pains on your own can be daunting, there are a number of natural pain relief options to help you cope until you are admitted to hospital.

Win an Octonauts prize pack

To celebrate the launch of Octonauts Live! Operation Reef Shield, a spectacular underwater adventure live on stage, we are giving away an amazing Octonauts prize pack to one lucky fan.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Forgotten Baby Syndrome claims the life of toddler

One baby dies every eight days in the back of a car in the US, victims of 'forgotten baby syndrome'.

For a brief time, I was touched by an angel

For a brief time, I was touched by an angel. You stole my heart, and changed me into the women I am today.

Chinese woman gives birth to quintuplets

After six years of trying for a baby, a couple’s dreams have come true many times over after the mum gave birth to quintuplets this week.

Chrissie Swan has reached her "sex quota"

Chrissie Swan says she and her partner have sex once a year due to her fear of falling pregnant.

Stars help save choking babies

It's an important lesson to learn, but one that busy new mums and dads might overlook until it's too late.

New Girl star Zooey Deschanel pregnant

Actress Zooey Deschanel is expecting her first child with her producer boyfriend Jacob Pechenik.

16 times 'dad reflexes' saved the day

Of course, in some cases they may be the ones who actually got their child into a precarious position in the first place, but we'll ignore that for now.

Couple's 'non-traditional' pregnancy announcement goes viral

Knowing you are not the father of your pregnant wife's baby would usually indicate a rocky relationship ahead for traditional parents.

The trials and tribulations of identical triplet newborns

Pip Donnelly is still playing spot the difference with her newborn identical triplets, Isabelle, Georgina and Frankie.

Win an Octonauts prize pack

To celebrate the launch of Octonauts Live! Operation Reef Shield, a spectacular underwater adventure live on stage, we are giving away an amazing Octonauts prize pack to one lucky fan.

Earthquake baby thriving five years on

Jenny Alexis is lucky to be alive after spending four days buried in the rubble of the 2010 Haitian earthquake, but now she's a thriving five year old.

Please don't say I'm lucky because I was adopted

On the one hand I was having a regular life with friends and sports and sleepovers and school. But I was also always wondering: Did my mother love me? What was wrong with me?

An open letter to non-parents who offer advice on child-rearing

Kitty, when you’re the parent of my child you’re welcome to wade in with an opinion – but until then, I’d prefer you to have a supportive ear and a glass of wine ready.

Couple arrested over baby gun video

A US couple faces charges after investigators say they found mobile phone videos showing the woman's 12-month-old daughter putting a handgun in her mouth.

NSW Health dumps 10-year limit on frozen embryos

A 10-year time limit on storing frozen embryos that were created with donor sperm has been dropped by the NSW government.

How my happy-go-lucky husband became a monster

Sharan Nicholson-Rogers watched her husband change from a happy-go-lucky police officer into an unpredictable man prone to violent and emotional outbursts.

Dads-to-be experience hormonal changes, too

Dads-to-be experience hormonal changes in line with their pregnant partners, a new study shows.

'They were just doing their job': mum of toddler killed in police chase gone wrong

"They were just doing their job. I feel so sorry for them. It is all just too sad."

Miscarriages to be formally recognised by NSW government

Women who miscarry will be able to obtain an optional "recognition of loss" certificate as a formal recognition of their often heartbreaking loss.

Cafe cubby house 'too noisy' for neighbours

Teenage parties, domestic disputes, or raucous late night pubs are the things that usually come to mind when you think neighbourhood noise complaints.

Dad films baby playing with snake

Most parents would not consider a snake an appropriate playmate for their baby, but a US dad who filmed his daughter playing with a python has defended himself against criticism.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Back to School Offer

Findababysitter.com.au

We've got you covered for this school year. Use www.findababysitter.com.au to meet local nannies now.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.