Gymnastics

• Please log in to reply
893 replies to this topic

#126 Fourteenyears

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

Wow giggleandhoot, your daughter has chosen two extremely time consuming activities there!

Just a heads up for anyone whose gymnast might be interested  - premium sessions from the national championships being live streamed tonight, tomorrow night, and Sunday afternoon.

http://new.livestrea...cschampionships

#127 mards

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

watched it last night!! BUT they stopped it just before Presentation???? whats with that.... i would have liked the commentators to also tell us how old the juniors all were just out of interest - its so hard to tell..

#128 karkat

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:34 PM

My DD has her first competition on Saturday!! She's so excited, it's just a small in-house competition, but she has a team comp against other clubs in 2 weeks at our regional hub, so it'll be good practice for that.

I nearly had a heart attack when I had to purchase the club leo though! $105 for a leo that they're only allowed to wear at competitions (so I ended up quite happy that she was chosen for the bigger comp), so likely she'll wear it 4 times this year at best. She's only 5 so assume it probably won't fit her next year and because she's so tiny there were no 2nd hand sizes that fit her .Oh well, now I'm hoping DD2 decides gym's for her too and we can re-use that way!

#129 mards

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

karkat - how did she go??

Yes Leo's are ridiculous!! Is she doing level one?

how exciting for you all

#130 karkat

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

So DD1 had her first ever comp yesterday and she did such a great job! Such a proud parent moment. She's doing level 1 artistic and was the smallest kid out there, but she somehow managed to walk away with a 1st on floor and 2nd on bars. Last on beam due to 2 falls, but she got back up and did the best straight jump off to dismount that I've ever seen her do! Usually, she takes a couple of steps or puts her hands down, but she stuck it perfectly. I was so proud of her, beam was last for the level 1's and she was the last competitor so everyone in the gym was watching her.

Amazingly if she hadn't fallen she would've placed on beam and actually won the all round. Her vault was just hilarious! the runway was right in front of the audience and she does this huge run up looking around at the audience and gives the judges an enormous smile, she was just so happy!

I can't believe this is the same girl that used to be so scared of climbing on stuff at the park and terrified of kids bigger than her (which is most everyone). Anyway, there's my big gloat about how great my girl is, never been more proud!

#131 babygirl03

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:51 PM

karkat, gloat as much as you want and well done to your dd :) Now that she's got a taste of competition highs, I'm sure there will be no stopping her.

Did she get any medals for having come first in floor and second for bars? What a talented little girl!

#132 FionaM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

that's fantastic karkat, bet she is still so proud of herself.  It is a huge deal especially with it being her first competition.

DD first comp isn't till August but she is just loving the training and this year her favourite apparatus is ribbon.  I haven't seen the routine yet but the coach keeps mentioning how DD is a natural at ribbon.  now just to fine tune the other apparatus.

#133 whatnamenow

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

DD had first comp of the year this weekend gone.  She cleaned up so I was happy.  3rd on  vault, 4th on floor and sixth overall.  Hoping she can back it up in 2 weeks time at the next one.  Was most proud of how well she did on bars.  Didn't place but was her best one yet.

#134 mards

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

Just wondering if anyone is going to Country next weekend at Rooty Hill? we will be there Sunday morning 930am....

#135 mards

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

Did anyone go to country this weekend? - it was great = got to see some MAG & RG - and of course the WAG>

#136 Fourteenyears

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

Did your daughter have fun?

We weren't there, but I saw the photos coming through on the gymnsw facebook feed and it looked like a great weekend.

#137 ~Catherine~

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

Oh gymnastics mums :D .... my 2 girls both do gymnastics both girls aged 10 and 9 and both doing optionals 4 at regionals this year ... regionals are at our centre so that is awesome, no travel :D So bussy training for August.

DD(9) went to states last year and got 3rd overall for her vault for her age/level :D so she was stocked. Girls are both trying to get there again this year.

#138 whatnamenow

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

View Post~Catherine~, on 07 July 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

Oh gymnastics mums :D .... my 2 girls both do gymnastics both girls aged 10 and 9 and both doing optionals 4 at regionals this year ... regionals are at our centre so that is awesome, no travel :D So bussy training for August.

DD(9) went to states last year and got 3rd overall for her vault for her age/level :D so she was stocked. Girls are both trying to get there again this year.

Catherine which state?  I find it funny all the different state terms.  But just wondering as our regionals are in august so was just curious..

#139 mards

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:07 PM

Yep DD had a great time. she ended up 5th all around for level 3 junior so did well. She had a brain freeze on floor and missed a bit of it. but pulled it together.

Cathrine are you in the STATES?

whatnamenow - what region or state are you in?

#140 ~Catherine~

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

No in Perth :D so we do regionals first and depending on score you go to states

#141 whatnamenow

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:26 PM

View Postmards, on 07 July 2014 - 07:07 PM, said:

whatnamenow - what region or state are you in?

QLD but regional so no hope for NDP,  travel for comps anywhere as far south as sunny coast or north as Rockhampton with my WAG level 3 girl.

#142 mards

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:53 AM

why no hope? - isn't there a system where she can try and get into the regional team by the end of the year to compete?

we live regional nsw - so we have 3 comps locally with our region and then they take the top 4 to the regional state in October - my dd is level 3 too.

Catherine - what levels are your girls? we have our next comp in two weeks. just a local one.

#143 ~Catherine~

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

Both girls are in Optional 4 ... not quite ready to badge test for level 4 yet but they are getting close

#144 Literary Lemur

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

View Postmards, on 06 July 2014 - 07:28 PM, said:

Did anyone go to country this weekend? - it was great = got to see some MAG & RG - and of course the WAG>

I was there watching my son compete in level 2.  It seemed to be a very high standard overall.

He got an apparatus medal, a team podium and did well overall so was pretty happy.

#145 whatnamenow

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

One very happy gymnast in our household today..  Her new training leo from flipside arrived in the mail  (' it has a matching scrunchie mum!' )  AND I bought her a new 14foot tramp for her to practice her back handspring.

Took the pain away from her spending today at training while I took everyone else to the opening of a new shopping centre.

#146 Fourteenyears

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

And which was more exciting, the new tramp or the new leo?  We (that is the small one and I) love a new leo around here!

I watched most of today's holiday training session just because I could.   There's just seems to be magic in the air when the girls get to train in a small group (there were three girls to one coach today!) in a relatively empty, quiet gym.  They seem to play more, but also achieve more.

Edited by NineFeralYears, 10 July 2014 - 05:00 PM.

#147 mards

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

love holiday training!! they get a full gym to themselves. - next week back to normal  = battling equipment with all the other groups - but they manage!!

#148 whatnamenow

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

View PostNineFeralYears, on 10 July 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

And which was more exciting, the new tramp or the new leo?  We (that is the small one and I) love a new leo around here!

Hard to  say,  she spent till 11pm out on the new trampoline in the new leo.  :)

By 11pm though she had a back handspring on the tramp,  could tuck somersault and stick the landing and almost had the front handspring.

Our girls are lucky in that the comp teams always pretty much have the gym to themselves.  train, mon, wed, fri, sat.  Mon, wed, fri, start at 4:30 when the gymfun kids come off, sat start at 9:30 when kindergym finishes and have the gym to themselves an hour later when gymfun finishes.  All other levels etc train tues,thursday

#149 Fourteenyears

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

Our girls are lucky in that the comp teams always pretty much have the gym to themselves.

That is fabulous!  Our gym runs three different competitive levels and has multiple rec classes going until 6:30 on week nights and 2pm on Saturdays.  It has come to the point where a couple of IDP training sessions have been bumped to a Sunday to ease the battle for coaches and floor space.

And my daughter's little group, as one of the smallest and youngest groups in the gym, seems to be the one that has to fit in around the larger groups which I sometimes find frustrating.  Sure the rec kids deserve their chance swinging, and the level eight girls certainly need the bars, but so do the tiny little girls or they'll never get to level eight!

Every now and then I sit down and google the travelling times to other gyms - I hear there are gyms around where rec and competitive have separate areas.  But I like the coaching at our current gym (right now) and it's where my daughter's friends are.

#150 karkat

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

Congrats to your daughter Mards! I'm originally from regional NSW and loved Country Champs, was always such a fun comp.

I'm in FNQ now and sort of wish that there was something like that, but it's such a big state geographically that it would be just about impossible.

Our club is hosting level 3-6 regional champs in a few weeks and they're holding a level 1-2 invitational at the same time, so DD is very excited to be competing again. She did a comp in Cairns just a few weeks before and had such a great time. Her team came 6th/7 for most apparatus but she loved being in such a big gym and the level 1's were going around with the level 3's, so we've been having re-enactments of the level 3 floor routines. She's now trying to teach DD2 (who's nearly 4yr old) her level 1 floor routines!

After the invitational in a few weeks DD will be moving to level 2, I have my concerns that they're pushing her through a bit fast, but at this stage she's just loving it and there are a few girls in grade 1 from her school that she knows that will be in level 2 so hopefully it's a smooth transition. She's the only one of the "little" ones from level 1 that's moving up, the others that are moving up are 8-9 yr olds.

Where does everyone get training leo's from? Poor DD is still wearing her cheapie "dance" leo from target that I got at the beginning of the year (in case she didn't take to levels) and she's starting to grow out of it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.