Gymnastics

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#101 mards

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

Welcome Karkat - Serenity & Slinky…

My DD is will be 8 in Jan - she started gym when she was 5  - started competing NDP 1 when she was 6  - she trained 6 hours a week for 1 and then level 2 was 9 hours - next year level 3 will be 12 hours...

They just seem to cope - there is NO way she would do it if she complained or whinged about it..

The hours just seem to slip up and up!!

It is a wild ride...

#102 babygirl03

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:42 PM

SlinkyM - I think your dd would cope fine with 1.5hr gym on Tuesday and 1hr ballet on Thursday. As you said, it is spread out. An option you could explore with the gym is your dd doing casual classes in first term i.e. explain that being FYOS you're not sure how well she's able to cope so would like to see if she can trial the classes in that manner and then make a decision at the end of the term as to whether you'll commit.

Wow, Mards, I have to say that's a lot of gym hours your dd is doing. I'm sure even the senior squad at our club don't do that many hours. But, you're right though about them being able to cope just fine. If anything, dd here wants to do more and funnily we do notice that when she's active, she's also a much more alert child. She seems to get a bit lethargic and listless come Sunday afternoon but on weekdays with school and either dance or gym, she gets her homework done, sleeps well and is just full of energy. Saturday, the same with back to back gym 2.5hrs and then ballet 1hr. Go figure :shrug:

#103 mards

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:09 AM

I know baby girl! Most people go WHAT!! - but then i know clubs training up to 18 hours a week level 3! - it just seems to be the way it is…

The minute it affects her schooling we will have to reconsider - but her teachers say that the gym is good for focus etc etc.

#104 ~strawberry~

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

Wow, our club seems quite different to what I'm reading here. DD did 1 year of kindergym (before starting school), then 2 years of general gym which is 1 hour per week. Next year she goes into a development program which is 2 hours per week (at age 7) until she is ready to go into the competition levels.

We were also encouraged to take a term or two off when she started school to help get her settled into school and not be too overwhelmed by it all.

I am happy at the slower rate that our club takes, and it seems to work for the club as one girl at our club just received 1st for level 10.

#105 Karen_H

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

This my favorite gymnastic player :smile: :smile: :smile:
Nadia Comaneci The Romanian gymnast Nadia Elena Comaneci is one of the best players to have participated in the Olympics. The champion had won five gold medals in the gymnastics event in the Summer Games. She was also the first gymnast to score a perfect 10 at the Olympics.

I am a big fan of gymnastic but I cannot flex my leg well because I have a leg operation last 3 years. I miss gymnastics so badly :(

#106 charlottesmum04

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

just bumping this one up as another gym mum here.

DD received her level 2 badge last oct at gymfinity at Bundaberg and started this year WAG level 3.  Will compete next month at level 3 ( both me and her coach hoping she can level test there) and level 4 level test by the end of the year.  We are catching up as she is 13 so needs to ramp it up.

From next term she is 9 hours a week in the 3/4 class ( from 4 hours a week in the 2/3 class) and has decided on the remaining 2 days she would like to join the cheerleading team.  so that will add another 4 hours of official training.    So gym 5 days a week.  She enjoys it and has actually helped her school work.

#107 Astrocyte

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

I absolutely love gymnastics. I used to do it when I was younger but I had to stop at 9 because I developed a medical condition that prevented me from doing so. When I have kids, I'd love to do gymnastics as I think it teaches them more than just sport skills.

I mostly follow USA gymnasts, and some Russians. I really started watching again in 2007 with Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson.

I've been watching some YouTube clips of the Pan Pacific Championships and the AT and T American Cup. There is some great new juniors joining the senior team so it'll be interesting watching them grow over the next few years. Currently I think Kyla Ross, Bailie Key and Norah Flatley are great and ones to watch.

#108 Nine.years

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

The Pan Pacs were great and I thought the Australian gymnasts did really well in both Artistic and Rhythmic.   Thank goodness for live streaming in a country that has as little gymnastic culture as ours.

NSW recently live streamed its Artistic and Rhythmic state championships which was great for anyone not able or inclined to get out to Rooty Hill to watch them live.

It's so good to watch the seniors compete after watching younger girls train - to see the progression of the skills they're so painstakingly learning, and because watching beginners give you a new appreciation for skills that senior gymnasts make look so - well not easy - but so effortless.

#109 charlottesmum04

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

ouch just got the bill for next term $875!!

Who needs a family holiday when you have a gymnast to pay for!

#110 Nine.years

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

Does anyone here know anything about gymnastics at MLC or PLC Sydney?  There's nothing on their websites that give any insight into their coaching philosophy, and I don't know anyone who attends either gym.

I might be looking for a new gym for my daughter but keep getting scared off by clubs that have their level 1s training 12 hours a week (and their wee IDP1s doing 17 hours a week), or which reel off lists of rules without actually mentioning the word 'fun'.

#111 EssentialBludger

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

Ooh, didn't know this thread existed.

My DD (9) just finished her second term of gymnastics. Started off in NDP1, was moved to NDP2 after 1 term and then was moved again to NDP3 after 2 sessions. Minimum training for her is now 9 hours a week, which she loves. She would like to go every day lol. I'm really happy that she loves it so much and has found her 'thing'.

#112 JJEDRMc

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

Whatever happened to doing gym just for fun?
Children need to grow and develop some muscle and bone strength before they start  doing too much intense exercise.
Children do not cope with pain associated with over training at too young an age and will soon ask not to have to do it any more when they work out the connection.
Not all parents are capable of affording the extra fees, uniforms etc associated with championship levels.

#113 EssentialBludger

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

View PostJJEDRMc, on 18 April 2014 - 06:12 PM, said:

Children need to grow and develop some muscle and bone strength before they start  doing too much intense exercise.
Children do not cope with pain associated with over training at too young an age and will soon ask not to have to do it any more when they work out the connection.
Not all parents are capable of affording the extra fees, uniforms etc associated with championship levels.

Who said they were? Or that there was anything wrong with doing gym for fun?
DD is enjoying competition level gym. I'm certainly not forcing her to do it. If she ever doesn't want to do it anymore then that's fine.

#114 Nine.years

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

You need to look at some of the research on childhood gymnastics and bone density!  It's about the best activity a kid could do to build bone density.  Ditto the research on childhood sporting injury.  Under the age of 12, kids who do gymnastics actually have fewer injuries than the general population.

Even over the age of 12, by which time most serious gymnasts are putting in serious hours, the injury rate is lower than it is for many ball sports where people are putting in fewer hours but ending up with more injuries.  The emphasis on building strength in gymnastics is actually protective.

Don't fret - it's alive and well.

Most clubs run three or four levels of gymnastics so that each child can find their own level of fun.  They range from purely recreational, to elite track, from few hours to lots of hours, from no competition to in house competition to competition-oriented.

Kids tend to sort themselves fairly quickly into whichever level works for their personality and sense of fun.  Apart from the occasional case of pushy-parent (which is less common than you may think, because if a kid is training many hours a week and is miserable, there's no hiding it from the coaches etc) you can pretty much walk into a gym and be comfortable that all the kids there are having fun.

I have to laugh when people suggest that perhaps my kid is overtraining.

For starters, there are four apparatus for the kids to train on.  There's plenty they can do to fill the hours without engaging in anything particularly repetitive.  Secondly, training is a little more scientific than it was in the past, and improvements like increased attention to core strength, sprung floors and foam pits mean that a lot of the physical issues associated with gymnastics training in the past no longer exist.  Thirdly - I'm her mother.  If it was making her miserable or sore, I wouldn't let her do it.  Her happiness and wellbeing is even more important to me than supporting her in an activity she loves.

ETA:

This I will concede.  At anything more than a purely recreational level - ie, once skill progression is desired, the sport becomes expensive very quickly.  If you break the cost down to dollars per hour it's relatively cheap, but as a termly bill, plus leotards etc, it adds up very quickly.   It's a sport you need increasingly deep pockets to support, and I think that is a shame for Australian gymnastics because it does limit the number of girls able to access it.

Edited by Nine.years, 18 April 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#115 Ruby Victoria

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

Essential Bludger that is great for your daughter - well done.

My daughter completed NDP 3 last year but we decided to stop her there.  NDP 4 would mean four hours and we just couldn't do it - travel wise and financially.  

SHe is now doing Gymstar at level 4/5, with 5 1/2 hours a week.  She spends as much time outside at home on our trampoline doing flips, saults and other "tricks".

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.