Gymnastics

• Please log in to reply
894 replies to this topic

#1 Anyanka

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

surely someone else other there loves gymnastics as much as I do.

Its a REALLY BIG SHAME no network shows this fantastic sport on TV.  

Anyanka

#2 abcangel123

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

i love gym! Watching it. My DD2 does it, and has so much fun. I asked her what her favourite apparatus is-she replies with "the pit." biggrin.gif

#3 cheekymonkey

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

I love watching it. I'm always disappointed that they put it on in the middle of the night during the olympics and there are rarely highlights during the day.

I did use to love doing gymnastics too til my legs got too darn long.  rolleyes.gif

#4 mumto3princesses

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

Yep, we love it.

Seriously considering going to watch the Olympic Qualifier Competition. In May I think?

And I think the girls are going to do the Gymfest in September.

#5 Unatheowl

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

Oh yes!  My favourite!  Used to do it when I was young and will be pushing dd into it too (lol).  I can't watch it in this house though because I get heckled that it isn't a "sport". original.gif

I paid over $300 to watch the final at the Sydney Olympics I had to go by myself because no one else would go with me !

Edited by Unatheowl, 21 February 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#6 mards

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

Hi does anyone have any info about GYmfest??
My DD loves gymnastics... i would be interested to find out more about the event..

cheers

Mards

#7 Unatheowl

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

I know nothing about kids gym because dd is too young. She does do kinder gym and you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be pushing her all the way to the Olympics when she turns three original.gif. In the meantime I'd love to hear about gym things that are available to young kids too.

#8 ~buzz~

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

I love it wish I had continued doing it sad.gif

#9 Elizabethandfriend

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

I was completely obsessed around the 2000s - the Lisa Skinner, Allana Slater era - but in recent years I haven't.  It's a hard sport to follow as there is so little coverage and gymnastics Australia really controls the flow of information.   And it's so disappointing when the kids retire just as they are hitting their peak!  But thanks for raising this topic!

#10 BlondieUK

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

I love all the Svetlanas - but Boginskaya was always my favourite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYhRIdBpwpg

Magic!

Also a big fan of Shannon Miller; Svetlana Khorkina, Nastia Liukin, Dominique Morceau......

#11 mumto3princesses

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (mards @ 13/05/2012, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi does anyone have any info about GYmfest??
My DD loves gymnastics... i would be interested to find out more about the event..

cheers

Mards

This is the information about it here Gymfest

And this one explains it a bit more
Gymfest

As far as actually performing I think it might be just for Teams but the 2nd link says the workshops are for performers and spectators. Its in the school holidays from the 26th to the 30th of September.

#12 mards

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

great to hear there are so many gym enthusiasts on here... so i have a question for you. my DD6 has just been asked to step up from 4 hours a week to 9 hours a week training.

Does anyone little one train that much??? - i know she LOVES doing gym - but i kind of feel she is a little young for extra 5 hours - i have said YES to 6 hours a week Wed - 4-7pm and Fri 4 - 7pm to give it a trial.. even that to me sounds insane... They are just starting their level one routines - but i dont think they will really Compete until next year...

I all for it - DH is really hesitant to step up her hours as she is so young.

thoughts opinions please???

#13 mumto3princesses

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

Wow, that's a long time. She's young but if she really wants it you have nothing to loose from trying it. It's a shame at least one of the training days isn't on the weekend but can she sleep in on the Saturday? Does she do anything else as well? That would affect my decision too. Along with how far you are from the gym. I'm not sure how my 8.5yr old DD2 would go doing training after school for that long. I think she would be pretty tired.

My girls don't train very long. Just twice a week for DD1 & DD2. They both do 1.5hrs on a weekday and at the moment DD1 does about 4.5hrs on Saturdays and DD2 does 2hrs Team Gym. DD2 is just waiting until after the others have done this years competitions since its all so early this year there isn't really enough time. Then she will start the levels training for competitions next year just for Level 1 Prep. DD1 hasn't been doing levels very long and decided to do Level 2 prep again this year and will focus on Level 3 prep routines after the competitions this year.

Then DD3 just does Recreational Gym 1 hr per week.

#14 millimum

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

Mards

From 6 until 14 I did 9 hours a week of gymnastics, 6-9pm Mon, Wed and Friday plus either regional or state squad on the Weekends. I wasn't even that good, compared to my sister who tried out for the AIS or the Vic version when it exsisted at 15 and was told she had no cartilage in her elbow joints left, so they wouldn't take her. She had qualified to a level 9 gymnast and was regional and maybe state champion in one apparatus cant remember, but she won lots.

One thing I would warn is that at 6 doing so much, joints and bones suffer. I qualified to a level 6 gymnast but was just always one of a team, never a champion and I now suffer from arthritis and bad tendonitis in my shoulder from handstand pirouettes.  

My sister is a lot worse off from a joint perspective with shoulder, elbow and knee issues. Her elbows are a very similar to tennis elbow. And Dr's are predicting early arthritis, plus she  has gout in her foot which I think was caused by an injury - not sure on that one.

However in saying all that, I would never discourage a child from competing in a sport they are passionate about but it is something to be aware of as they progress and try and keep on top of if she extends to the 9 hours a week.

Good luck. As my parents said how could they have Not supported my sister at 10, 12 when everyone was talking about her joining the Australian team. My parents also invested a lot in the sport with both my Dad and Mum coaching various levels and my Mum becoming a qualified judge which help pay for our sport. I still feel very sorry for my older brother that wasn't involved in the sport.

Good luck to your daughter I hope she continues to enjoy the sport, I know I did at the time.

#15 mards

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

Oh wow milimum - thanks for your insight.. how sad for your sister... its really hard isnt it to know whats best.

At the moment i have said just six hours a week. Wed  and Fri nights 3 hours at a time... it starts this week - i am NOT letting her do the nine hours... she is too young way too young.. she is loving her gym.. its the only thing she does - she did dance last year too  but chose extra gym this year...

we will run with the six hours - and once summer comes see what happens...

We are a 10minute run from the gym so not long - and she is happy to be dropped there and picked up after - so we dont have to stay all the time - but i do like to watch a bit..

anyway we will see how it goes - i really appreciate everyones input as we are fairly new to all of this

Cheers
Mards

#16 katherinelucinda

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (Anyanka @ 27/01/2012, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its a REALLY BIG SHAME no network shows this fantastic sport on TV.

Agree! CAnt wait for the Olympics when its on tv .... at all hours of the night! Never prime coverage...lucky Im sure to be up with my bubbas anyway!

#17 abcangel123

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

Hi I used to be a gymnast and was in the 2000 squad and we trained 6-7hrs a day, every day.
My DD6 trains 6 hrs and i think that is pushing it.  I wouldn't even consider doing 9hrs no matter how talented. It's way too much for such little bodies -I started at 8yrs (quite late compared to others) and my body aches the way someone double my age would.

#18 FionaM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

hi
my DD (who has just turned 9) also does gymnastics, she trains 8 hours per week.

she will pick up another 2 hours when she trains for the group routine.

Another friend of ours does well over 10 hours at the same age but it just depends on the type of gymnastics they do.

my DD does rhythmic and the other girl does artistic.

mards - what type is your daughter doing ? i think the number of hours just depnds on the type of gym. the other hint i got off another gym mum was to bring DD's dinner in the car when picking her up (about 15 mins from home) so atleast when she gets home she has eaten.

its interesting to hear from the former gymnist and thank you so much for providing that insight.

i took my DD out to watch the national championships last month and it was fanstic watching all the different types of gymnastics and all the fantastic routines.

#19 mards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

Im so glad there is this thread - My DD coach just asked her to enter her first comp = Level 1. We have said NO to upping her hours to 9/as we think 6 is quite enough - and coach said that is fine - and that she is ready for comp now - and will put her in on six hours a week - which we think is so fantastic - as me and DH think nine hours is TOO much for a six year old - even six hours is pushing it for us -but she loves it!!

#20 mards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08C8QRyLgSo

This is one of my great friends DD!! - Fantastic clip!! worth watching

#21 ~Clio~

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

We are very excited for the Olympics in this house! My sister in law is a gymnst and was selected to go to London!! My five year old is super excited!

#22 lishermide

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

We're a gymnastics loving family here. Both of my girls are gymnasts.

DD (12) is Lvl 4 NDP. Her and her team won overall gold at state Lvl 3 last year original.gif Unfortunately right now she's on a forced break from gym due to a pretty major hip problem. She's having surgery in a few weeks time, and if it's successful she should get back to gym some time late next year. If it's not, well, we'll worry about that later. She's doesn't even want to consider that as an option.

DD (10) is Lvl 3 NDP. At the moment she's training 8.5 hrs because we're in the middle of state trials. She usually only trains 4-6.5 hrs. Its not much for her level, but She also plays soccer and rides horses, so we have trouble fitting it all in!

We're all very excited aboutwatching  the Olympics.

#23 mards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

Wow Clio - can i ask Whom??? fantastic = Yep Abbi is NDP level 1 - so very excited for her too..

Good to hear lishermide - that your girls are NOT over doing the hours for level 3 as our level 3 girls are doing at least 12 hours a week now... ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif

#24 lishermide

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

Clio, how exciting! I'd love to know who it is too  biggrin.gif

Mards, when DD#1 won gold at State Lvl 3 last year she was only training 6.5hrs. As was one of the other girls on the team as she came from our gym too. Of the other three girls on our team, one was putting in huge hours, the other two about 8 from memory. So it can be done. I guess the fact my kids do a lot of other sport too means they are working on cardio and strength even when they're not in the gym.

Our gym is really small, and we're pushing it trying to do Lvl 4 there. We just don't have the space, or the equipment. We have to go to a larger gym to train during school holidays so they at least get the experience on the right equipment. Not ideal. If we change gyms for Lvl 4 we'll be looking at 12 hrs  ohmy.gif I don't know how families manage it really.

#25 mards

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

Great to hear Lishermide!! - I think the coaches all get uneasy when they hear!! how many hours other gyms are putting in for level 1 etc etc!! - But our coach said DD was fine with 6 and some of the girls doing 9hrs arent even competting in this one??? so i guess its so individual....

Where are you in Sydney?? - we are Central Coast - our gym is very small too and never got anyone past level 3 - as they all seem to get poached by other gyms...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.