I have a 7 week old and we have just gone through the dreaded arsenic hour (more like HOURS - my DD has been awake since 4.30pm this arvo and has only just gone to sleep!). My DP and I used pretty much every technique we have for settling her tonight and as we went through our repertoire it occurred to me there are probably thousands of others out there that we could try. This is what we tried tonight:
* putting her on my chest with and without bottom patting
* putting her in her sling and walking up and down the hallway
* a warm bath
* patting and shushing once she was in her bassinet
* extra breastfeeds
* leaving her to cry intermittently (no longer than 5 mins at a time)
* putting her bassinet onto a piece of wood we have that has wheels and wheeling her up and down in her room
* putting her in her car capsule and swinging it from side to side (this is what finally worked)
We couldn't take her for a walk or out to the car because it's raining.
So tell me what you do when you're desperately trying to settle your newborn to sleep and what works.
(And if someone can tell me why one thing works one night and not the next, I'll be most grateful!)
Edited by lucky 2, 10 March 2012 - 10:20 AM.