Can you elect to have a c-section
if you have no medical reason for it

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Humphrey2011

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

Curiosity question....

If you have private health insurance, can you elect to have a c-section even if their is no medical reason why you would need one.  My friend is trying to fall pregnant and is under the impression that as she will be having the baby through a private hospital, she will be able to ask for a c-section just because she wants one.  Is this the case?  I always thought that you would still need a darn good reason to elect to have a c-section, not just because you don't want to go through the pain of labour.  I went through the public system with my bub so I really don't know the ins and outs of the private system.

#2 3_for_me

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:57 PM

Yep, find an ob who is happy to do an elective caesar and shes in.

#3 Mumof32b!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:58 PM

Yep my SIL did twice.

#4 *bibs*

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

Yes, I had an elective c/s after two natural births in a public hospital.
I did not have it for medical reasons more because of an extremely traumatic previous birth.

Wonderful experience for me.

#5 jules77

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

I believe she would just need to find an OB that would be happy to fulfil her wishes (you need to be under the care of an OB in private hospitals).

At one stage (pre-birth jitters, after remember what it was like with DS1!!) I asked my OB whether an CS would be a better option and he said that I definitely did not 'want' one....as it turned out, I had a super fast ,non-complicated and great labour and birth.

#6 PopperPenguin

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't recovery from a c-section take a lot longer and is quite painful for quite a while? Does your friend realise it's not just, cut open - get baby out - stitch up, and voila! no pain, no tenderness, no restrictions??

I understand some women have a genuine, crippling fear of childbirth, but there's got to be a bit more perspective for those who just 'dont want to deal with labour'

#7 Azadel

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (Orca @ 20/01/2012, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't recovery from a c-section take a lot longer and is quite painful for quite a while? Does your friend realise it's not just, cut open - get baby out - stitch up, and voila! no pain, no tenderness, no restrictions??

I understand some women have a genuine, crippling fear of childbirth, but there's got to be a bit more perspective for those who just 'dont want to deal with labour'

That's true, but I had an instrumental c-section four months ago where they broke one of my ribs trying to get DS's 39cm head out. Very sore recovery, but now I'm running several times a week, I'd never know anything had happened if not for my scar.

There are women who still have problems with stitches six months, a year after vaginal delivery. It's not always black and white, c-section bad, vaginal birth easy.

#8 mudder

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

Yes you most certainly can.

#9 Humphrey2011

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (Orca @ 20/01/2012, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

TBH, I don't think she does realise what the recovery of a c-section involves, this will be her first baby.  Hopefully she'll do lots of research before she commits to going down that path.  

Thanks everyone, you learn something new every day!

#10 Humphrey2011

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (Azacat @ 20/01/2012, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's true, but I had an instrumental c-section four months ago where they broke one of my ribs trying to get DS's 39cm head out. Very sore recovery, but now I'm running several times a week, I'd never know anything had happened if not for my scar.

There are women who still have problems with stitches six months, a year after vaginal delivery. It's not always black and white, c-section bad, vaginal birth easy.

Ah yes, I thought that because I was having a vaginal birth that my recovery would be quick and easy.  How naive was I!

#11 Flutter Bug

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

I deleted it. It sounded a bit angry - oops!

Edited by Flutter Bug, 21 January 2012 - 02:10 PM.

#12 Soontobegran

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (*bibs* @ 20/01/2012, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I had an elective c/s after two natural births in a public hospital.
I did not have it for medical reasons more because of an extremely traumatic previous birth.

Wonderful experience for me.

A previous traumatic delivery is actually considered a valid reason in the public system. A 'medical' need includes emotional/mental health also.

Is the baby in your timeline your first Orca?

#13 JaneLane

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

I'm sure you can find OB's that will but I think most would want to try for a natural and only go for a c-section if they are genuine reasons for having one.  I have had 2 emergency c/s's that were originally suppose to be 'elective' c-sections for medical resons.  While I found both to be very postive experiences, it is major abdominal surgery and the decision should be well informed and not entered into lightly

#14 idignantlyright

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

For some women a CS is more traumatic with a longer recovery, and for others a VB is more traumatic with a long recovery.
There are arguments for both sides.
Ideally a VB is the way to go unless you have mental or physical needs or reasons for a CS.

#15 Soontobegran

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

I know several Obstetricians who will do their best to alleviate fears and discourage an elective C/S, I know several others who, when approached by a patient who is informed and educated with regard to the risks of C/S will say yes without a fight.
In the public system there are C/S for what 'others' may deem to be non medical reasons but due to funding etc there will be more resistance and more proof of previous trauma or emotional/mental health issues.
It is all about searching for the right caregiver for your needs.

#16 mummy26

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:20 AM

Edited because Granny below is such a childbirth know all

Edited by mummy26, 01 March 2012 - 12:22 AM.

#17 Soontobegran

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (mummy26 @ 26/01/2012, 02:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Without reading whats been said already, why would anyone opt for a C-Section without a medical reason is beyond me.  I just had a caesar after 8 normal births and trust me, normal childbirth is the better option.  She'll need a spinal/epidural anyway so why not just do it that way if she wants to be pain free

Because your experience is yours. I know several women who've had vaginal then C/S and opted for C/S for subsequent pregnancies because of either their delivery experience or their recovery.

#18 vanessa71

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

I'll correct you. Both times it was for me, a case of being cut open to get baby out and yes, no pain afterwards and a very quick recovery. Of course that is not the case for everyone, just as a smooth no tearing, no stitches vaginal birth is not the case for all vaginal birthers.

OP, I had two purely elective Caesars and would do it again if I had to, mine were great experiences.

#19 opethmum

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

I had emergency c/s but my ob certainly wanted patients to try vaginal but he did not dissuade from having an elective c/s. He is very much in wanting people being comfortable with whatever delivery plan they have.

#20 keedensmum

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

I just advised my obstetrician on Friday (1st appointment) that I wanted a c-section, (I don't really and I am scared of the operation and recovery but.....) this was after I explained my first son who is now 11 years old had a neonatal stroke and now has cerebral palsy and epilepsy after a long posterior birth.  There is no way I am taking any chance of anything going wrong again.  I am also 37 years old (so seen as to be ancient in terms of being pregnant!) and my baby is 3rd round of ivf conceived also.  My obstetrician had no hesitation in saying "I was going to ask if you want a c-section after that history".  I think, each to their own in their own circumstances.

#21 Guest_misskrys_*

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

Yes.

A mothers well being , physical or otherwise will be the primary concern driving the health professionals agreement on this.

If a mother wants a c --section, there is no gounds for a refusal. Why would they want to make a mother have a pregnancy / birth she is clearly not comfortable with?
And if they dont see it that way....then your best interests arent at heart and its time to change health providers.

#22 tasy

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (vanessa71 @ 29/01/2012, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll correct you. Both times it was for me, a case of being cut open to get baby out and yes, no pain afterwards and a very quick recovery. Of course that is not the case for everyone, just as a smooth no tearing, no stitches vaginal birth is not the case for all vaginal birthers.

OP, I had two purely elective Caesars and would do it again if I had to, mine were great experiences.

this is me except i've had 3 c/s.. mine were great, and i requested my first when i was 21.. each to their own

#23 sahmmum

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:37 PM

Yes I asked and I went through the public system.

#24 steffijade81

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

My Ob asked me which way I would like to birth my baby and that she had no issue with either that it was completely up to me unless complications got in the way which in my case they did. I had a footling breech baby with meconium in my waters that broke at 38 weeks so had a very speedy c section to get her out asap. I think its great that you have the option these days as it should be, its your body, no one should be able to dictate how you choose to birth your child.

#25 Serenity82

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

It does really depend on the woman, her experience, pain threshold etc

I had an emergency c-section for my first, was on my feet within a few hours and felt fine within a week, however I know other people who have had a horrendous time of it.

Second baby I had a VBAC. I healed more quickly with vaginal and I did enjoy it, however again comes down to each individual.

When we have a third, I will opt for a c-section. Healing time will be longer, however with my VBAC, my DS heart rate dropped suddenly and I think he came close to dying, so I will opt for the c-section for my peace of mind.

Childbirth can be dangerous either way, you just have to decide which decision feels right for you.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.