Cindy Crawford's Daughter, a Child Model. Should we care?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Kylie Orr

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

No surprises that Cindy Crawford’s daughter has secured a modelling gig with fashion house Versace at the ripe old age of ten. Or should I say, Cindy has secured a gig for her. She’s a gorgeous looking kid, but what would you expect as the offspring of Crawford and the not-so-shabby Rande Gerber?

When I first read the article and saw the photo, I was unmoved. So, she’s ten. She’s the daughter of a model. I don’t see anything wholly untoward about the photo – unless you count socks with sandals as a fashion crime.

Reading through the comments it seems that the furore surrounds her pose, the airbrushing and the fact she should be in the sandpit, rather than the shooting studio.

Perhaps I have become immune to the fashion world and its clichéd downfalls – super skinny models, unrealistic body images, airbrushed faces and bodies. It doesn’t interest me, it’s not my currency and apart from occasionally wishing I was model worthy as a teenage girl, it is not really something I aspired to.

My kids weren’t hit with the ugly stick but they aren’t modelling material either, so the world of modelling, particularly child models, is completely foreign to me. As my eldest is only eight, and a boy, I can’t relate to the anger about this image. I’m not sure what is appropriate for a ten year old girl to be wearing and judging by some of the interesting fashion pieces shuffling around the shopping centres these holidays, I can’t say what Kaia Crawford is wearing is that far from the mark. Admittedly, she looks infinitely more gorgeous in the natural shot walking with her mum, where she actually looks like a normal ten year old kid.

Is it sexualisation of young children? Or is it human coathangers to sell clothes? I figure if she is exposed to this potentially harmful industry in terms of body image and self confidence, then she has the best guide: a mother who survived and conquered it all and seems to have emerged as a half decent human being. Well, that’s what the tabloids have us believe.

Far more interesting to me than the-daughter-of-a-model-becoming-a-child-model, is a young girl named Tavi Gevinson aka The Style Rookie who decided to start a blog about fashion. She was 11 at the time, and simply documented her style observations and shared her brave fashion combinations, in an incredibly articulate way, which reflected someone beyond her years. She is quirky. She is original and she is honest. She’s not afraid to be awkward or adventurous. I admire that she is sharing her experiences of growing up through her blog – all the angst and the adverse parts of being a teen. I imagine for a teenage girl, that Style Rookie is much more relatable than the Crawford Clan.

Interviewed by TeenVogue back in 2008, when she was just 12, she was asked:

Who inspires your wardrobe? 

Tavi: Right now, my wardrobe is hugely inspired by tons of other bloggers. The ones that inspire me have individual style, and what's especially inspiring about their dress choices is that they wear what they want with confidence, regardless of trends, rude anonymous remarks, or silly fashion "rules".

Now, that’s one savvy, smart, switched-on child who I would be more than happy for my daughter to look up to. The Young Versace fashion line can become a crumpled page at the bottom of a magazine pile at the doctor’s office for all I care.

What do you think about child models and the fashion industry aimed at our children?

Kylie

#2 CheriDeMomie

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

My DD does modelling, I don't see it as a problem if you are on set and supervising and making sure you're child isn't taken advantage of.

Cindy's daughter is gorgeous and clearly being the daughter of Cindy helped her to get the gig, but I don't see a problem with that either - that's just the nature of the business.

I think the fashion industry is aiming at parents with campaigns like this as clearly the children don't have the money to spend.

I think using Crawfords daughter also cleverly caters to the target market of women buying for their own daughters.

The image is fine. It's nothing like the Miley Cirus image of a couple of years back which was far more sexualising of a young person.

PS. Tavi is quite interesting. Front row with Anna Wintour and all from blogging. I find it interesting that the fashion world actually 'listens' to a 12 year olds opinions!

Edited by CheriDeMomie, 19 January 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#3 3_for_me

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

I dont care, personally I am more concerned that she is wearing socks with sandals in the picture.   I am already scarred by the recent flourescent flasbacks to the eighties please dont tell me my highschool physics teacher was on to something with that!

#4 BetteBoop

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

Sigh.

#5 darcswan

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

The image is of a child advertising an age-appropriate childrenswear line.  There is nothing inherently exploitative in that.  This ad is closer to your average target catalogue (with pricier clothes & production values) than the revolting Vogue Cadeaux spread with little girls in leopard print heels.

#6 lettyboo

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

Just personally I think the skirt she is wearing is too short and I would not encourage my child to follow this trend, otherwise she is a pretty girl just like her mother!

#7 Expelliarmus

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

If you look at the difference between the fashion shoot photo and the candid shot on the road you cn see the massive difference with make up.

The fashion shoot photo is sexualised. Not as much as some, but it is sexualised, designed to enhance her facial features with make up and accentuate her legs.

I agree the skirt is way too short. I don't know why the clothes had to be photographed in the same way as clothes for adults. Children are not adults, it's okay for them to look different and it's okay for them to have different modelling shoots.

#8 countrymel

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

A child modelling children's clothes? No I don't think it should worry anyone.

#9 Pearson

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

the gladiator sandals with socks is a bit disturbing, most disturbing of all really...

#10 EBeditor

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

I do think it is a bit adult for 10. The windswept hair, pose, leather jacket, make-up and mini skirt are a bit much for me. She looks like she is imitating an adult fashion model.

Oh, and I love Tavi!

#11 Kylie Orr

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

I think it's relative to images we've seen recently (like this one) where the pose is much more lurid and the outfit sexual and frankly quite ghastly. Completely inappropriate. Comparatively, the Kaia Crawford outfit and pose seem tame to me.

Perhaps when my own daughter (currently one) is closer to ten, it will seem more raw and real to me and therefore I will be more aware or resistant to such images?

My husband was more concerned about why she was working at 10 - "why it is OK for a 10 year old to be employed as a model if it's not OK for a 10 year old to be employed as a wallet sewer in a factory?"  ohmy.gif Food for thought...

#12 3_for_me

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

I think your husband has a good point there Kylie, my son was quite upset(at not yet 8) when I informed him that it would be quite a few more years before he could get a job.  He wants to work(paper round or similiar although is quite keen to join me at my place of employment) but the best I can offer the poor kid right now is vacuuming mummies floor for a few gold coins.

Edited by 3_for_me, 19 January 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#13 Brrrroooce!

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

She has a mum and dad, why does anyone else need to worry?

#14 Expelliarmus

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (Brrrroooce! @ 19/01/2012, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
She has a mum and dad, why does anyone else need to worry?

They can worry about her, I will worry about the societal trend of sexualising our children, because that does impact my daughters.

#15 Kylie Orr

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

howdo & Brrrroooce you are having the same discussion I am having with DH here at the table!

I figure she has parents, one of whom is very experienced in the world of fashion. According to the article, Cindy was present at the shoot and I presume had some say in the final photos. DH thinks the fact she is exposing her 10 year old to a world that actually causes a lot of harm to other 10 year olds through poor body image, etc is irresponsible. He also doesn't understand why kids clothes need models. Why can't they just stick them on those mannequin things, he asks!

3_for_me - good to see you have a child with inbuilt work ethic at the tender age of 8! Love it.

#16 Expelliarmus

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

I have a 10 year old and an 11 year old and I do not want them looking at images of their peers that look like that and thinking it's how they should look.

She no longer looks like a child and I don't think that's okay. I'm not worried about the child in the image after all she has a mother who knows how to get her 'not exploited' or whatever. But the company is creating images that this world doesn't need.

#17 hayleymumof3

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

I have a 10 year old DD and I really don't have a problem with the photo's.  She still looks like a child modelling children's clothes I have seen way worse pictures from baby "beauty" pageants.

#18 Expelliarmus

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

Yeah well Baby Beauty pageants are worse.

It doesn't make sexualising 10 year olds okay.

#19 WinterIsComing

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

I have no problem with a child modelling children's line...

Being a daughter of Cindy, she will be guaranteed to be sheltered from sleazy photographers and nasty casting directors...her mum's name will open doors...

But I agree with others, the shot IS sexualised. Very short skirt, too much Photoshop and the whole look is too adult.

For MY daughters (if I had any) this outfit would be a no no.

#20 *Ker*

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

Holy crap, she doesn't look 10. And she is the spitting image of her Mum.

Yeah ok, the clothes are a bit too old for her...and she has been made up to look way older than she is...but I think there are worse things to worry about. She is not my child, her mum knows how to protect her, so it doesn't really affect me.

#21 kadoodle

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

She looks totally different in the two photos.  Why hire someone and then airbrush them beyond recognition?  The windswept, bouffant-y pose has to be a spoof of her mum's shoots in the 80's, surely?!

#22 hobo_princess

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 19/01/2012, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A child modelling children's clothes? No I don't think it should worry anyone.

Yep

#23 EBeditor

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:14 AM

I just don't want this to become the benchmark for what 10yr olds are supposed to look like.

#24 miriams

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:38 AM

I don't think it's a problem. I'm just amazed by how much she looks like her mum.

#25 casime

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:46 AM

I'd be more concerned if she were modelling adult lines of clothing.   As it is, she's probably appealing to the tween market that the clothing is aimed at, and is probably a better role model than some of the people they expect tweens to look up to these days.  It's better than the horrible proactiv ad with Katie Perry prancing around in skin tight bike shorts telling them how to get rid of pimples.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Sara James: fighting for my daughter

Sara James was a high-profile New York journalist, but it was her own daughter's story which raised the most questions.

Siblings and best of friends

I know we'll have some tense moments. I know there will be arguments. But I also know these two will always have this most beautiful bond.

In defence of mums on the phone

I know news stories always attract a range of opinions, and I know they're a place for people to have an anonymous dig in. However, I also know that this mum bashing has to stop.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Pregnancy essentials for the second and third trimesters

So you're through the first trimester of pregnancy - congratulations! Here are some tips for getting through the next six months as comfortably and happily as possible.

Coles Easter eggs recalled due to presence of tree nuts

An allergic reaction has lead to the urgent recall of a variety of Coles brand Easter eggs.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Why I love the small age gap between my kids

Six months after our son turned one, we welcomed son number two into our lives. Yes, the small age gap had been planned - and there are things I love and hate about that small gap.

Parents warned about posting kids' photos online

Parents could be putting their kids at risk by posting images and information online which give away personal details, such as where they go to school and which parks they frequent.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Mum's the word when it comes to baby news

The arrival of a baby is big news, but friends and family need to understand it is not their news to share.

What?s in your parenting toolbox?

So often as parents, we don?t really talk about our ?parenting toolboxes?. But you need to be aware of what you and your partner are working with, and to decide what does and doesn't fit in your lives.

Classroom pregnancy prank goes viral

An American college professor has had to rethink his strict rule about answering cell phones in class after being the victim of an April Fools' prank that has gone viral.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Video: Dad turns son into action movie hero

Many kids would love to be an action movie hero in real life, but very few will ever be able to see themselves in movies like these.

Toilet training in winter

There?s no need to stop thinking about toilet training just because the temperature is dropping: winter is a good a time as any to start the process.

What do you do all day?

It's the question all new mothers dread. For Kate Fridkis, it's a question that strikes to the heart of what it is to be a woman.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Video: Baby starts his day with a dance party

Few people start their day the same way this little guy does ? dancing, smiling, and generally having an awesome time.

IKEA announces bed canopy recall

IKEA has recalled its range of bed canopies designed to suspend above children?s beds following reported cases of injuries and entanglement.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.