Due in June 2012 #5

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
139 replies to this topic

#1 Megan!

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:38 AM

Woo hoo, 17 weeks. Lots has been happening with me this week..

I think i've been feeling a few faint little taps/bubbles! Its so hard to tell if I am imagining the whole thing or not, it seems to happen when I'm laying in bed nights/mornings and I think I feel something! I find myself thinking it could be a gurgling stomach but it's becoming a bit more noticable. I'm looking forward to some really definite, unmistakable feelings.

This may sound kind of strange, but I am so excited that I have FINALLY put on some weight! It's been fluctuating by about 1/2 a kilo for the whole pregnancy, and I have been growing a noticable bump but no significant weight gain. Then all of a sudden within just a few days, I have put on 2kgs.

Now I'm in an exercise mode. I am excited to be starting yoga in Feb but until then I was thinking I might start pilates for some more muscle tone & possibly swimming or aqua. Does anyone already do these? I have never done pilates before - is it hard work?

Thank you everyone who responded about whether or not you'll be finding out the gender.. I have decided to stick with my original plan to find out. I want to bond with bubba as a girl or boy. My partner is sticking to not finding out so I'll be keeping all my little gender purchases under lock & key! I find out on the 30th, can't wait!

It's so exciting to hear everyones announcements about girls/boys, congratulations everyone! Good luck to everyone who has upcoming scans x

#2 miso

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

Hi Megan! I am 17 weeks today and I have been feeling the same too!!!!!!!  It is always just on the left of my lower abdomin where I can feel faint bubbles for a couple of seconds.  It is so much different than a gurgling stomach.  It is such a different delightful feeling.  I can feel distant taps too!!!!!  So exciting.  Last night I laid on my back and asked bub to move move move! lol.  Then the bubbles came original.gif.   Then I ate chocolate and bub did the bubbles things again Tounge1.gif.  Not sure chocolate is good for baby though

I have a skinny frame and I went back to the doctors and I have gained nearly 4KGS!  I am so happy and my bump is getting noticeable.

I haven't been doing anything but just having walks in the afternoon with my partner but I have to think about doing yoga now.

I have booked my 20 week scan and I can't wait to find out the gender.  I will find out on the 6th of February which I am 20 weeks pregnant that day.  I wanted to do it earlier but they recommended on 20 weeks so they can see bub better.

Good luck everybody!  So excited for everyone

#3 Kelly86

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

Megan I did pilates quite regularly before I fell pregnant...I would say yes it is hard work, uses a lot of muscles you didn't even realise existed tongue.gif , but if you go on a regular (ideally twice weekly) basis you will really notice that you are getting stronger.

I tried to go back for the first time the other day and the instructor told me the class she had designed was not really suitable for me being pregnant...I thought that was strange as I keep reading it is one of the best exercises you can do during pregnancy...she said all the crunching movements aren't good?? So maybe you could find a special pregnancy pilates class - not sure where you are but I'm in Brisbane and a place called pure health clubs does special pregalates. Otherwise just make sure (maybe in advance) they know you are pregnant so might be able to give you alternatives to the normal moves.

Good luck!

#4 SammyCat

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:05 PM

Hi Megan  I'm 16.5 weeks and haven't felt any flutters yet. But as my placenta is in front, it could be 4 more weeks before I feel anything!

I did pilates for about a year and loved it. It is hard, but you gradually build up strength to do the harder exercises. I was planning to do pregnancy pilates, but the midwife at the hospital we're going to told me not to, that the stomach exercises are bad for your stomach muscles. She said that pregnancy yoga is much better for you, maybe there are some courses near you? I've decided to swim instead though, and have my maternity bathers all ready to go for this week!

Good luck!

#5 newyearbaby

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

Hi, I have done both yoga and pilates during pregnancy and when not pregnant etc. Both do tone you, but pilates more so. It depends what you are after. I am hypermobile and pregnancy exacerbates this, so I have found pilates better for me, but if you are a bit stiffer and want a bit more flexibility then you will benefit more from yoga. I love yoga and truly miss it, and hope to get back to it one day.

As for pilates exercises being no good for stomach muscles in pregnancy, this would be purely down to what class you do and the instructor. You should definitely only do it in a pregnancy class or with a very qualified instructor that can modify the exercises for you. If they are good, your stomach muscles will definitely benefit from pilates, as will your pelvic floor!!

If you are after specific muscle toning for pregnancy and labour you can't go past machine pilates. This is absolutely brilliant and helps amazingly with pelvic instability such as SPD. Hope this helps.

As for movements, it sounds like your flutters and bubbles are definitely the baby. I remember the excitement I had with my first pregnancy and this is exactly how they start. You will notice the bubbles turning more to tapping each day and eventually into kicks. It's very exciting!!!

#6 nikkidee

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:20 PM

Thanks so much to everyone who commented about my MIL's concerns about scans. I feel a lot better now, especially because I have had surgery on my cervix so this scan is very important to make sure all is as it should be. Thanks again everyone, each and every one of your comments was really appreciated.

So those of you who have had a scan, can we see some pictures?? original.gif I see already one gorgeous 4D image in the scan thread!

#7 muffinfeet

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

What would you do!?
DH and I have a Wedding in August - therefore our little bub will be 2 months old. The couple have said "No Children" to families with kids above like 8 months because it's a child-free wedding. Yet they've mentioned to us that it's perfectly fine for our baby to be there because it's still so young.
I have the option for my parents or sister to babysit but also the option to bring our little baby. I can also get accommodation at the place where the Wedding Reception will be held.
What would you guys do? I need to know soon because if I decide to bring bub, it means booking accommodation, which I need to do pretty soon.
What do you guys think??

#8 j-o-d-i-e

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

hey guys remember me, long lost jodie lol have been pretty busy around here hosue in on the market so where preparing the house and now just trying to keep it sparkling lol
currently 18 weeks, 19 on friday when we have our scan sooooo excited, we will find out the sex if our bubba is co-operative.....
have been feeling ok, wet through a stage where my iron was REALLY low and i feel horrid, every time i got up i was seeing bright lights, was dizzy just felt so sluggish and exhausted, i changed iron tables to the ones with vitamin c in it and have started feeling more human again.....

nikkidee my MIL is the same about scans, i have told her times and technology have changed there is no proof to show that they do any harm to the baby, my MIL is very old school but i feel the ultrasounds are important to check on the baby and i love seeing a beautiful little heart beat each time, makes me more at ease.

muffinfeet at 2 months i would take bub with me original.gif everyone loves seeing a newborn ....

all the best to all having scans cant wait to hear all the details and see photos

#9 newyearbaby

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (muffinfeet @ 17/01/2012, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What would you do!?
DH and I have a Wedding in August - therefore our little bub will be 2 months old. The couple have said "No Children" to families with kids above like 8 months because it's a child-free wedding. Yet they've mentioned to us that it's perfectly fine for our baby to be there because it's still so young.
I have the option for my parents or sister to babysit but also the option to bring our little baby. I can also get accommodation at the place where the Wedding Reception will be held.
What would you guys do? I need to know soon because if I decide to bring bub, it means booking accommodation, which I need to do pretty soon.
What do you guys think??

Is it far from where you live or where your relatives are? Are you planning on breastfeeding?

I would try for the babysitting option if it can work for you to leave a couple of bottles of milk, and if the baby will take the bottle. Or perhaps if it isn't far, your family member could bring bub to you for a feed half way through the reception or something. It all depends on logistics really. If it is super hard, you could aim to take the baby with you, but depending on your baby that could be hard work too.

#10 -Moxie-

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

muffinfeet- definitely take baby. There is a huge difference between an 8 week old and an 8 month old and their level of annoyance to other people.
We had a couple bring their recent newborn to our wedding (It wasnt no children, but we werent advised there was a baby coming either). Would never have known the baby was there. All it (I have no idea if it was a girl or boy) did was sleep and eat as far as I know.

We are off for our scan on Saturday. DH wants to find out, but Ive decided not too although Im dying to know. I do think it is a girl though. Well I feel 93% certain. Tried the bicarb test and no fizz. Unless you count the white scum that formed on the top as fizz. You could hear the reaction though.

DH  bought home a nappy bag from work last night. Someone at work had given it to him. Now Ive never had a purpose built nappy bag ever. I usually use a backpack as I can get all the stuff in there for all the kids. This thing is huge! Its like a pram bag I guess, but I dont tend to use a pram either. I dont know if this means anything to anyone but its a Kate Spade bag. It comes in its own calico wrapping bag. Its very nice but very stiff and its huge! Its never been used but was apparently the bosses' wifes and DH was told its "not cheap crap" LOL. There was a price tag inside with RRP of $295 ohmy.gif  but its okay, it was reduced to a measly $195.
OMG who buys these things at those prices? I must be out of touch. I was reluctant to pay the $10 for the Kmart backpack 4 years ago.

Got the email from Target that their BUmper Babython starts on Thursday. Some great buys for the budget conscious first timer. I looked throught the catalogue and couldnt see anything I really needed. Some things that I thought I might like, but really couldnt justify the  cost considering this is definitley it for us. Plus I have noone to pass it on to so would be a waste. Its a pity they dont make more gender neutral clothing or prints in jumpsuits. I could go for a few nice bright yellows, purples, oranges and greens. Might have to grab a few of the Target wondersuits in 0000 and 000. Im not sure what Ill need with a winter baby. Especially as its not really very hot here in Perth.

Hope everyone has great scans.
Jacqui

#11 Babby and Roo

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

muffinfeet - I'd definitely take the baby at 2 months. We took DD to a wedding when she was 3 weeks and she slept the whole time. First in a sling and then in her pram. My dad was staying at the accommodation so we were able to go into his room to breastfeed (which I was still learning!) and change nappies. I was fine. I'd be reluctant to leave a baby at 8 weeks for the many hours weddings seem to go for these days. I'd also book the accommodation if its feasable because having somewhere to retreat to is very useful!

I haven't posted here in ages but I've been reading every now and again. I'm 19 weeks now and having my 20 scan next week. Originally we weren't going to find out the sex of the baby but now we've decided we can't wait, lol. We are still going to continue telling everyone that we're having a surprise though - because I think that makes it more exciting for friends and family.

I am struggling so much with girl names so I think I'd like to know if its a boy because then I won't have to stress so much! And if its a girl then I'll have more time to agonise over it!

Being my second I've been feeling movements for a few weeks now. This little one seems a lot more active than my DD was. I'm also getting what feels like Braxton Hicks... tummy getting all tight. Last time I never noticed them until the 3rd trimester. Is it normal to get them this early? Otherwise it might just be the baby doing somersaults in there!

I'm excited about the bumper babython at Target. Going to pick up some winter clothes for my DD and also a bouncer for the new bub as the one we had for DD was really crappy and the toy bar was too far away for her to reach! So she would just look longingly at the toys. Poor thing!

Last time I picked up a play gym half price which we used every day from about 6 weeks to 5ish months. It was great value!

Moxie- My DD was born in June as well and she practically lived in wondersuits with t-shirt bodysuits underneath for layering. If it was really cold I'd do singlet, tshirt bodysuit, wondersuit/all in one suit. I pretty much always had her in suits with feet, the footless things hardly got used at all. Also little cardigans were great for going out over the wondersuits. Definitely stock up, the Target ones are good and at $6 how can you go wrong!

#12 muffinfeet

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

Thank you -Moxie- , newyearbaby and j-o-d-i-e!
Some really lovely feedback.
newyearbaby - I will be breastfeeding and my Mum and sister are about 15 mins drive away.
I think I've made my decision and I'll bring our bundle of joy with us. Time to book the accommodation!  biggrin.gif
oooh thanks Strawberry!!!! original.gif

Edited by muffinfeet, 17 January 2012 - 10:31 PM.

#13 Gixxie

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

Thankyou everyone for your well wishes!!!!!

Went and saw my ob again today, so i dont know if he has put my mind at ease or not...
The good news is, that my little one has all normal development, plus in the ultrasound today she had fluid in her stomach and in her kidneys which all looked normal.. so he isnt too concerned with the low amniotic fluid sac for the moment but need to keep a careful eye on it, because if i loose any more she could be in a lot of trouble..  

what he is concerned with is the bleeding from the placenta, which basically means either this could occur the entire pregnancy and go full term, so thats not a issue, or it could cause my body to go into early labour with a 30% chance of labour occuirng in the next 5 weeks!  which is not a good outcome either.

My goal is to make it past the 20th of Feb, and if i go into labour after this date then her chances increase dramatically! so im just going to be taking it easy in the meantime and one day at a time.. i know 10mins of walking knocks me around a bit..causes more bleeding... so im just going to have to avoid the shopping centres.. which sucks cause i wanted to go to the babython sales! lol..  might place a order with my mum or see if i can get it online instead!

And Muffin im doing the same thing with rubbing my belly too cause i dont feel like i look pregant and just ate a bit too much chocy!! lol

#14 newyearbaby

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

Moxie - I am the same with baby bag costs. I was reluctant to spend $80 on one when I had my first baby, but I did and hardly ever used it. I ended up using one of my over the shoulder hand bags which was big enough and fit over the pram handle anyway. And this time around I will need things for my toddler and twins so I think I will be going down the back pack road too.

gixxergal - you must be so relieved that your little girl is developing well. Wow what a scare that must have been.

As for shopping, just save it for later. You taking it easy is more important so get your mum to go or do some online. My husband works in retail and the sales they are putting on are only going to increase, so there will be other opportunities after your little one is born safely to pick up a bargain.

Rest up and look after yourself.

#15 nikkidee

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

Soooo glad to hear your news gixxergal, it certainly sounds like the situation is more positive than you originally thought.

Now you need to seriously rest up and let everyone else do your running around for you!

#16 -Moxie-

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

Hey everyone,
just thought Id let you all know (in case you missed it) that Pink Survivor is pregnant again and Due In September.
Wishing her all the best for an uneventful pregnancy without the stress of last time.

#17 nellyblue

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (-Moxie- @ 19/01/2012, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey everyone,
just thought Id let you all know (in case you missed it) that Pink Survivor is pregnant again and Due In September.
Wishing her all the best for an uneventful pregnancy without the stress of last time.

Oh that is such great news, I hope everything goes well for her this time around, she has been through so much already!

#18 newyearbaby

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:39 AM

That is absolutely lovely news about Pink Survivor!!! On her farewell from our thread she said she hoped to pop up again in a couple of months time and she got her wish.

#19 j-o-d-i-e

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

great news about pink survivor

#20 jasminena

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:59 AM

Hi all,

Just thought i would pop in and let you all know that we are out.

We went for our 19 week anatomy scan last Tuesday the 17th and the baby had passed away in utero. We were sent to KEMH where I was induced the next day. Hubbie dashed home from up north to be with us and just made it with a few hours to spare. Thankfully we both got to say our goodbyes. KEMH treated us wonderfully.

As we were only 19 weeks and 1 day Kye wasn't entitled to a birth certificate or a funeral. We had a a bedside naming ceremony to honour our little man.

We would like to wish you all luck and a "SAFE" arrival of your little one. Hope it all goes smoothly for mummy and baby.

Jas.

#21 MickeyBoo

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:35 AM

Jas, what heartbreaking news, I am so sorry that you lost your little boy Kye, sending much love and hugs your way. bbighug.gif

Edited by MickeyBoo, 20 January 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#22 newyearbaby

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

Jas, that is truly heartbreaking. I am so sad for your loss.
Wishing you and your family the best for the future xx

#23 -Moxie-

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

So sorry to hear your news Jas. Take care.

#24 stella777

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

So sorry to hear of the loss of your lovely boy Kye. So glad your DH could make it to be with you. Sending you hugs Jas

#25 Megan!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

Jas I am so sorry to hear about your loss, that is devistating xxx

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.