Sydney/NSW Ladies

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Megan!

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:15 AM

Hi, just thought it might be nice for us to have a thread for Sydney/NSW girls.

Has anyone found some good (affordable) maternity shops around the place?

Mum has booked in a shopping day with me during the week & I'd love to have a few tips before I head off.

The only places I've really looked so far are target (where I bought some tights for $16-bargain) and mothercare but that was when I didn't need mat wear so I was just overwhelmed!

Hope everyone has been gaining more energy the last few weeks & enjoying getting organised!

#2 Beags

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:22 PM

Hi,

I found target wasn't very good for maternity clothes, but I think it depends which one you go to. The only other place I've looked at was pumpkin patch. They are having a sale at the moment I think so you should be able to get some pants etc at a good price. It depends where you are in Sydney, but at the Belrose supa centre there is a pumpkin patch outlet. They don't have a huge variety of maternity clothes, but I was in there today and they did have lots of jeans and denim stuff. There is also a mothercare store in the same centre. Sussans also have a lot of flowy/bigger style tops which I have been using for work.
Otherwise I think online is good, I ordered a few dresses from asos the other day.
Let us know if you find any other good shops!

I have my morphology scan tomorrow, very excited about seeing bubs again!

Have fun shopping!

#3 Babby and Roo

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

Hi, I'll join in!

This is my second baby so I'm pretty familiar with all the baby shops around my area. My favourite is baby bunting. The closest one to me is Moore Park. I always find the staff so helpful and they have a really huge range of pretty much everything baby/toddler related. Their prices are generally decent and they have sales often. I get their catalogue emailed to me so I can keep up to date with sales. The only thing I wouldn't buy from a baby store again is a pram. I have been looking at double prams this time around and  I've seen them for much cheaper online than any baby stores stock them for, particulaly if you are happy to buy overseas. Still good to have the shops to go and check them out in person though.

Baby Kingdom in Alexandria also has a huge range, but every time I have been there I have found the staff disinterested and unhelpful. Their prices are average so I much prefer the service I get at Baby Bunting.

As for maternity wear, I went shopping last pregnancy with my mum and she bought me a range of clothes for a birthday present from a shop in the city. I think it was in the Piccadilly Centre in the city (next to David Jones). The clothes were a bit pricey (glad mum paid!) but they were really nice, fashionable, comfy and lasted me the whole pregnancy. They are still in great condition and I'm wearing them all again this time around. I got jeans, some cotton casual pants, a few skirts, 3/4 shorts and some tshirts.

Really all you need are going out / work clothes, as you can get away with regular stretchy clothes like trackie pants at home.

#4 Worzel Gummidge

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

Hi, I don't belong here as I'm not currently expecting, but Angel Maternity in Castle Hill had some lovely things at reasonable prices when I was pregnant this time last year original.gif

#5 heavenlys

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

Strawberry Wellies - I think you are referring to Ripe Maternity. I bought a few things in there earlier this week. They are a bit pricey but their clothes do seem to be good quality. They are having a sale at the moment. Unfortunately nothing I bought was on sale!! Myer in Pitt St Mall also stocks this brand. Also if you mention Cosmopolitan Pregnancy magazine you get 10% off full priced merchandise until the end of March biggrin.gif

#6 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:05 PM

Target / KMart have been v disappointing this time.
Picadilly - I think it's called something creative like "Just Maternity"
Chatswood Westfield  - no idea what it's called, but opposite Ecco, theres a maternity shop which is sometimes good / sometimes somewhat dodgy from a stock perspective
Chatswood Chase - Mothercare

#7 SammyCat

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:41 AM

NotBitzer - the maternity shop at Chatswood Westfield is Mamaway - they have a website mamaway.com.au    

Mothercare at Atarmon has cheaper clothes, but not as big a range.

I"ve only been into look so far, as I still fit into most of my clothes - thank god for low cut jeans and maxi dresses!

#8 Megan!

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

Thanks ladies, mum & I are hitting the shops tomorrow. I popped in to mothercare today & their maternity clothes are 50% off! There's a few nice things in there, definately worth a look.

#9 littlesticky

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

Went to Pumpkin Patch outlet in Birkenhead Point yesterday after seeing the ads on TV. Great prices ($10 pants which were $70). I had tried the regular retail outlets but the prices were dearer and they didn't have my size.

Mamaway staff are lovely but prices are high and the pants don't fit me at all. The dresses are cute!

#10 KC-

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

Angel maternity (have had some great offers recently through group buying sites (living social, Spreets or one of the others) and have had discounted gift vouchers - makes their clothes much better value. Have shopped online but then exchanged items at metcentre store (better range instore than online)
Nicest maternity wear I've bought recently though has been from asos.com. Very good value and love the two dresses I bought.

#11 DM06

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

Hi. Perhaps I'm a bit late replying but I went to the factory outlet at Auburn ( Pumpkin Patch). I think Pumpkin Patch are having a bit of a sale on maternity wear too, in store and online.

#12 newyearbaby

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hi, I put lots of good maternity pieces on ebay after my last pregnancy (as I was sick of them) and sold everything so that might be a good place to try, if you don't mind second hand. A lot of the time they don't get worn for very long, so they can still be in near new condition.

How did you go with shopping anyway?

#13 Megan!

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:27 AM

I was so happy with mothercare 50% off! I bought about 15 pieces for $200. Tights, long tops, pants, skirts, dress, singlet tops, jumpsuit. I did really well (thanks mum!)
I didn't find a dressy dress however & I need it for the weekend (have 2 big events!) and I also have my 30th in a few weeks so need to get something pretty for that. I have been looking at the Angel website (thanks for the tip!) but I feel like I might need to venture there to try a few things on.
I feel like I have just burst out this week! haha. I hadn't put on ANY weight but over the past week (week 16-17) I have put on about 2kgs!
Up until now i've been able to get away with wearing quite a few of my non-maternity clothes but the skirts are really digging in now & the tops are becoming shorter and shorter, so I don't think my shopping spree could have come at a better time! Anyone else just noticing a little growth spurt?

#14 newyearbaby

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

I too have burst majorly in the past 3 days so week 17-18 for me. I easily look about 6 months pregnant now so what the heck am I going to look like when I get to that point? A house comes to mind!

#15 DM06

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hi ladies,

Hope everyone has had fun getting maternity wear !

I thought I'd add a new little thread in our Sydney page ...
with the school holidays around the corner ... does anyone have any good school holiday ideas whilst we are "up the duff" ! I have an 8 year old, so bub makes baby 2 ... wondering what activities we should get up too ... I normally hop into the city and walk from Museum to Museum ... which I could still do ... but would love some chill out home ideas and other ideas if anyone has any !!

#16 Lineth

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

Hi all

I'm in the Blue Mountains.  Anyone up this way?

I've bought some winter nursing tops on mamaway.com.au.  Some of them are good, others not so much.  I'm not really used to shopping online yet, but it's certainly easier.

They do have a good ribbed turtleneck on the sale page, which I bought in a lovely grape colour, and think will be good for the weather here.

Otherwise, we're now up to shopping for a car seat and pram.  We're lucky - have been given loads of second hand equipment, clothes and toys.

Vanessa

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Natural pain relief in the early stages of labour

While managing labour pains on your own can be daunting, there are a number of natural pain relief options to help you cope until you are admitted to hospital.

Chinese woman gives birth to quintuplets

After six years of trying for a baby, a couple’s dreams have come true many times over after the mum gave birth to quintuplets this week.

Five-year-old shoots nine-month-old brother dead

A nine-month-old baby boy died on Monday after he was shot in the head by his five-year-old brother in their grandfather's home.

'Is that baby yours?'

She is my daughter. I gave birth to her. I nurse her. But she doesn't have any of my genes.

Episiotomy in childbirth: not just 'a little snip'

Episiotomies have a place in maternity care – and can occasionally save lives – but should not be performed routinely.

Toddler aggression not caused by language delays after all: study

The logic was that children who don’t have the language to fully express themselves will lash out when they’re misunderstood. Not anymore.

Why we chose to adopt a child with Down sydrome

Everyone in foster care (and really in life) has something that makes them more vulnerable. We just know what our son's is.

Object of desire

Curvy mums make clever babies

Scientists appear to have discovered why women have evolved to have more curves than men – shapely thighs and bottoms lead to healthier babies.

'We'll make sure they know how much she loved them'

A first-time mum will never get to hold her four newborns, dying shortly after giving birth to the quadruplets.

The baby names NZ knocked back in 2014

A New Zealander has tried to name their baby Senior Constable but didn't get away with it - and numbering children is also a no-no.

How can you go into labour without knowing you're pregnant?

For most of us, the idea that a woman could carry a child to full-term without knowing she is pregnant is mind-boggling.

Will you get to the hospital in time?

Worrying your baby will be delivered by the roadside is a common concern for many mothers-to-be. So how likely are you to be caught short?

Video: Funny 'Lips Are Moving' parody just for mums

Meghan Trainor's song 'Lips Are Moving' was already a hit, but now it's been turned into a hilarious parody that is set to be very popular with frustrated mums everywhere.

Out with the clutter

Decluttering by the numbers: take the 30-day challenge

Forget the 5:2 diet - Twitter's 30-day declutter challenge will have your house back in shape in no time (well, a month).

Parents, don't be too hard on yourselves

We need to stop damning parents of today, and embrace their appetite for knowledge instead.

Is my baby normal?

There are chubby Buddha babies and there are thin, smaller babies. Neither are right or wrong, they are all 'normal'.

When an older sibling starts school

When one child goes to ‘big school’ and leaves the other behind, it can cause deep upset. Here's how to make the transition easier.

Stray cat saves abandoned baby

They say dogs are man's best friend, but one cat has proven felines can be just as devoted to their human companions.

How strangers are helping a mum's wish come true after her death

A mum of five, Liz Marquez wanted to breastfeed her premmie son for a year. So when she passed away suddenly, her friends - and strangers - stepped in to help.

Win an Octonauts prize pack

To celebrate the launch of Octonauts Live! Operation Reef Shield, a spectacular underwater adventure live on stage, we are giving away an amazing Octonauts prize pack to one lucky fan.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Stars help save choking babies

It's an important lesson to learn, but one that busy new mums and dads might overlook until it's too late.

New Girl star Zooey Deschanel pregnant

Actress Zooey Deschanel is expecting her first child with her producer boyfriend Jacob Pechenik.

16 times 'dad reflexes' saved the day

Of course, in some cases they may be the ones who actually got their child into a precarious position in the first place, but we'll ignore that for now.

Couple's 'non-traditional' pregnancy announcement goes viral

Knowing you are not the father of your pregnant wife's baby would usually indicate a rocky relationship ahead for traditional parents.

The trials and tribulations of identical triplet newborns

Pip Donnelly is still playing spot the difference with her newborn identical triplets, Isabelle, Georgina and Frankie.

Win an Octonauts prize pack

To celebrate the launch of Octonauts Live! Operation Reef Shield, a spectacular underwater adventure live on stage, we are giving away an amazing Octonauts prize pack to one lucky fan.

Earthquake baby thriving five years on

Jenny Alexis is lucky to be alive after spending four days buried in the rubble of the 2010 Haitian earthquake, but now she's a thriving five year old.

Please don't say I'm lucky because I was adopted

On the one hand I was having a regular life with friends and sports and sleepovers and school. But I was also always wondering: Did my mother love me? What was wrong with me?

An open letter to non-parents who offer advice on child-rearing

Kitty, when you’re the parent of my child you’re welcome to wade in with an opinion – but until then, I’d prefer you to have a supportive ear and a glass of wine ready.

Couple arrested over baby gun video

A US couple faces charges after investigators say they found mobile phone videos showing the woman's 12-month-old daughter putting a handgun in her mouth.

NSW Health dumps 10-year limit on frozen embryos

A 10-year time limit on storing frozen embryos that were created with donor sperm has been dropped by the NSW government.

How my happy-go-lucky husband became a monster

Sharan Nicholson-Rogers watched her husband change from a happy-go-lucky police officer into an unpredictable man prone to violent and emotional outbursts.

Dads-to-be experience hormonal changes, too

Dads-to-be experience hormonal changes in line with their pregnant partners, a new study shows.

'They were just doing their job': mum of toddler killed in police chase gone wrong

"They were just doing their job. I feel so sorry for them. It is all just too sad."

Miscarriages to be formally recognised by NSW government

Women who miscarry will be able to obtain an optional "recognition of loss" certificate as a formal recognition of their often heartbreaking loss.

Cafe cubby house 'too noisy' for neighbours

Teenage parties, domestic disputes, or raucous late night pubs are the things that usually come to mind when you think neighbourhood noise complaints.

Dad films baby playing with snake

Most parents would not consider a snake an appropriate playmate for their baby, but a US dad who filmed his daughter playing with a python has defended himself against criticism.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Win with The Boxtrolls

To celebrate the release of The Boxtrolls on 3D Blu-ray, DVD & Digital with UltraViolet, we're giving you the chance to win a Boxtroll stationary package and DVD.

School Term 1

Get after-school care sorted

Wait lists too long at OSHC? Use www.findababysitter.com.au to meet local nannies now.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.