Suspect Santas and self-assembly stress. So this is Christmas

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AmityD

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

So Christmas is done and dusted for another year. The ham has been eaten, the tree taken down and the novelty of the new toys already worn off. I don’t know about you, but as an adult I find Christmas equal parts fun and exhausting. At the start of the festival season I get all excited about it, but then after weeks of present shopping, food prep, entertaining, Santa visits, school events and end of year concerts I’m ready for it to all be over.

This year one of the most exhausting aspects of the festive season was keeping up the Santa illusion for my 5 and a half year old, who is becoming increasingly smart and suspect about the whole thing. As I am most certainly not ready for him to let go of that innocence yet, I put extra effort into keeping the magic alive for a little longer. On top of this, the fact that I can successfully use the naughty or nice list as behaviour bribery for at least 6 weeks leading up to Christmas, I am REALLY not ready to give that up.

However, our first trip to see Santa didn’t exactly help with this plan, when Jamison decided he wasn’t the real Santa because he was wearing lace up shoes instead of boots. Rookie mistake Myer Santa, don’t you know Santa always wears boots?!

With our second visit to see Santa (thanks to a grumpy toddler, my dodgy photo taking effort and refusal to spend $40 on a professional shot it meant I didn’t get any good photos last time) I thought we were onto a sure thing. I canvassed the Santa and decided he was pretty convincing, he was wearing boots, had a nice round tummy, the perfect small specs and just the right warm and ruddy face. So I put the kids on his knee, Jamison gave him a long list of requests, I got the photo and as we left I excitedly said to my son ‘Wow, I’m pretty sure he was the real one!’ ‘No Mum,’ he replied. ‘His eyebrows were painted white. He’s fake too.’ Sigh.

This revelation lead to a conversation about Santa’s helpers, who work in the shopping centres because the real Santa can’t get to them all, and a screening of the movie Polar Express, which is all about believing. Whether he wanted to or not I was going to make damn sure my boy believed!

A few days later the question I had been dreading was put to me in an earnest voice, ‘Mum, is Santa real?’
‘Of course he is!’ I exclaimed. But with his little face appearing unconvinced I turned it back to him, ‘Do you think he’s real?’ I queried, holding my breath as I waited for his reply. He pondered on it for a long time, before putting me out of my misery. ‘Yes, I think he is’ he finally decided. Phew.

So with his new found scepticism the importance of details became all consuming. I bought special wrapping paper for the Santa presents, having the same paper as our gifts just would not do. I typed a note from Santa to the kids, as my handwriting would be a dead giveaway. I couldn’t resist putting a line in the letter about keeping up their good behaviour too, so the presents would be forthcoming next Christmas. I’m intending to use that little bribery tool for the whole next year. And finally I ordered bags with both of the kids names written on them, bags which ‘the elves made.’

When Christmas Eve arrived the excitement level was high. We put out milk, cookies and carrots for the reindeers. We left a note and picture for Santa, thanking him for the presents. And as both children peacefully slept Phil and I put two lines of flour on the front porch, in the shape of sleigh tracks. I was slightly concerned Jamison would immediately know it was flour and not snow, but we decided that ‘dried snow’ would be the explanation, which would hopefully be plausible for a kid who’s never seen snow before.
So did that final act of Santa staging mean the end of our night? Are you kidding? The pain and effort was only just beginning, for now it was time for present assembly.  

How hard can it be to assemble a basketball ring, I figured when I bought it. Bloody hard, is the answer. Having a husband who detests assembling anything certainly didn’t help. How I got him on a renovating TV show I will never know! Reminding him that I was going to get a trampoline, so he should be thanking me, didn’t help either. After an hour of fumbling around with seemingly incoherent instructions and a basketball net which was ‘obviously made wrong,’ Phil was cursing the basketball ring, cursing me for buying it and cursing Christmas in general. Joy to the world. I responded by having another glass of wine and turning up the carols to drown out his whining. Peace on earth and goodwill to all men.

At one stage he asked me frustratingly, ‘Why do we put ourselves through this?’ To which I replied, ‘We’re parents. We sacrifice our own sanity for our children’s happiness.’  

Thankfully the basketball ring came together, the children stayed asleep and Christmas morning finally arrived. And was the reaction worth all the effort? A million times over. Jamison’s squeals of delight as he awoke to the sleigh tracks on the front porch, his joy at finding his specially addressed letter and personalised bag, and his excitement that Santa managed to fit a basketball ring in his sleigh were worth every orchestration. That precious time of believing is gone so quickly, I will do everything I can to keep that joyful innocence alive.

Days after Christmas, as he was playing with his new toys, Jamison came into the kitchen and said enquiringly ‘Mum, there’s an IKEA tag on the chair Santa brought me.’ I inhaled sharply, surely it can’t all come undone now, over such a simple mistake? I mentally constructed my reasoning, ready for the inevitable outcome. But before I could respond he finished, ‘Santa must shop at IKEA like us!’  

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all my readers. I hope it was a magic one for each and everyone of you. Amity xx

How was your Christmas? Did you go to great lengths to keep the Santa magic alive for your kids? How long did they believe in Santa for? And do you have stories of self-assembly stress?!

#2 3_for_me

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

My mums standard respinse to the suspect questions was " well that is up to you to deide but bear in mind that santa only comes to children who believe in him.  So it is up to you whether you believe but do you really want to take the risk?". laughing2.gif  love my mum, she so good at psyching people out Tounge1.gif

#3 jkmt

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:20 AM

At least your Santa shops at IKEA - my son noted that Santa shops at the Reject Shop!

Seriously though, I've always told my boys that 'Only those who believe receive'. So while I'm pretty sure they have both worked it out, neither of them is about to tell us about it.

#4 giggleandhoot

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

I found it hard this year with our 6 year old. Didn't help we had a dodgy Myer Santa too, we travelled 3 hours JUST to take the kids to Santas cave. Then when we told Santa this...he told us (in his non santa voice) his Son lived up near Kempsey and he drove up there one year while his son was on his P plates and how long it took.
Thanks Santa. We had to remind him maybe he should've used his sleigh and the kids now wonder why Santas son lives in Kempsey.

#5 EBeditor

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:31 AM

We had to remind him maybe he should've used his sleigh and the kids now wonder why Santas son lives in Kempsey.

ddoh.gif I'm sorry, but that's hilarious!

#6 *Ker*

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

I told my kids that when I stopped believing in Santa, I stopped getting presents. It worked!

I found a great santa in my local shop. It was an old bloke and I don't think he had any padding lol. But my kids are of the belief that Santa comes to the pageant here then flies home to prepare for Christmas, leaving all his helpers to talk to kids and report to santa with what they want.

#7 Liberty12

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

I can't believe you would look your child in the eye and lie. Especially when there are plenty of good behavioural management techniques out there other than bribing a child with presents or threatening their non-delivery. Maybe keep up the Santa myth for a younger child, but surely by 5 they're old enough to be told the truth.

#8 CG123

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (Liberty12 @ 05/01/2012, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't believe you would look your child in the eye and lie. Especially when there are plenty of good behavioural management techniques out there other than bribing a child with presents or threatening their non-delivery. Maybe keep up the Santa myth for a younger child, but surely by 5 they're old enough to be told the truth.

Bah humbug! ph34r.gif

#9 babytiger

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

I am not sure how much longer my DD will belive she is 8yrs old.

#10 nicki-b

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

Ah Liberty12 you are a crack up.  Glad you aren't my Mum!

#11 Tosca

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

Goodness!! My DD just turned 10 and still believes!!

#12 2littleladies

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

My DD is 6 and has been questioning Santa since she was 3.5.  I have always maintained that I don't like to lie to the kids so I say I have never seen santa but the spirit of santa is very real.  In my lifetime santa has always been around so who am I to say that he is not real!  As far as I am concerned the spirit of Santa is VERY real, luckily she has yet to question what a spirit is wink.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Video: 10-week-old baby sounds like she says 'I love you'

It’s mixed in amongst garbled baby talk, but this 10-week-old's apparent attempt at telling her parents that she loves them has made her an internet star.

I only enjoyed pregnancy after booking my caesarean

To say I became obsessed is something of an understatement. Everywhere I went I found cause to be reminded of my impending pain.

When your bundle doesn't bring immediate joy

One mum says joy is very a personal feeling and expecting all new mums to feel it in the months after their baby born may do more harm than good.

Lessons learned from my toddler

Blogger Kiran Chug explains why she is going to let her toddler make more decisions for himself.

Family welcomes first baby girl in more than 100 years

The Silverton family has heard the phrase "it's a girl" for the first time in four generations.

When a community of kindness steps in

In future when someone I care for, or even someone I barely know, is experiencing a difficult time, I will not overthink it. I'll follow my heart.

Mum in Business: Jac Bowie

Jac Bowie is the founder of Business in Heels, one of the fastest growing women’s networking events in Australia. She shares her story, including how she juggles work with a young family, and ways to work smarter.

What not to say to a mum of twins

Being a mum of identical twin boys stirs up great interest and fascination. It also opens itself up to nosy, invasive questions, as well as huge assumptions.

The mums suing over unplanned babies

A mother-of-five who calls her two youngest sons "miracle babies" is just one of many mums seeking financial compensation for their children's unplanned conceptions.

Video: Dad sings 'Hallelujah' to his daughter every year

It's a gorgeous song to begin with, but this dad's version of Hallelujah, sung for his young daughter, is especially touching.

Constipation in babies when starting solids

While starting solids can be frustrating and messy (yet also fun!), introducing solids can also play havoc on tiny digestive systems.

Parents reunited with baby snatched from hospital

A mother whose newborn baby was snatched from hospital has spoken of her joy and relief at getting her daughter back.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies - bump selfies - really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind"?

Life on the other side of the fence: Why I'm child-free and quite content

Acknowledging that motherhood isn't a bed of roses – to begrudge lack of time, sleep, money and spontaneity – is sacrilegious and a no-no, especially by mother superior-types.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind", as one writer has claimed?

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.