My 5wk old got sunburned :(

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 bebe2

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:55 AM

Anyone have any tips for soothing sunburn on a 5wk old?

She is quite happy and content, not out of sorts or anything, but it breaks my heart to look at it, and I want to be able to ease some of the pain I KNOW she must be feeling as I got sunburnt too, and it's not pleasant.

We were under shade before anyone asks, and I do feel insanely awful and like the worst mother in the world.

Oh, and also, it's just her face, so I worry about using creams, as it's so close to the eyes. Even her little eye lids are burnt  cry1.gif

#2 TheAP

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:58 AM

You could try Aloe Vera gel. Get it from the chemist so you can make sure it doesn't have anything else in it. It will work for your sunburn too. If yours is bad put some in the fridge for a while before putting it on although I wouldn't use chilled AV gel on DD2.

P.S. Delete your post.

#3 kidwrangler

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:01 AM

It's the worst feeling isn't it? sad.gif Poor bub. My baby girl got sunburnt on her first Australia Day, she was prem and had been home only about a month (after a month in SCN) and I felt like the worst mum ever. We were in the shade, home before 9;30 am and she still had sunburn, so I know how you feel.

My suggestion would be just a nice cool bath or cool damp washer laid gently on her skin. I don't think there are any creams or lotions that you can use? Maybe an aloe vera based one?

All the best and think of it as a lesson learned, try not to be too hard on yourself, it wasn't negligence or deliberate x

#4 winkywonkeydonkey

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:08 AM

maybe a trip to the GP as she could be in danger of dehydration. I have read to take young babies to dr if they have any burn.

I would be offering lots of feeds and perhaps some infant panadol if she is in pain. sunburn will get worse over the day so please keep an eye on her.

#5 mrsgm

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:10 AM

Try pawpaw lotiom, it is great for any type of burn, graze etc and gentle enough to use on babies and around eyes.  Dont feel bad, i suspect you have learnt a hard lesson out of this and wont be doing it again!

#6 ~nikki~

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:13 AM

My DD got sunburnt when she was about 6 months old I lathered her with paw paw and Also the alovera gel.

I thought we were safe it wasn't hot and we sat in the shade all the bubs got burnt, perhaps wind burn more than anything else.

Buy baby zinc.

I lernt my lesson my baby has suncream on everyday now, I don't want to risk it again!

#7 idignantlyright

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:15 AM

I would use the aloe vera.
Even with the best precautions taken, sunburn can happen. You had her out of the sun and thought you were doing the right thing. So don't beat yourself up about it.
As for babies not being out in the heat. They can be even hotter in a house that has no airconditioning.

#8 lucky 2

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

Hi, its Friday so is your CHN available to talk to?
Can you ring the 24 hour health line in your state (there is a pinned thread in the Birth-6 month forum with contact numbers)?
Could you ring your GP clinic and ask for an opinion.
There are many things you could do but I would contact a health professional to discuss the situation, risks and management.
I don't know anything about burns and babies but it cant be good so get professional help now.
It is better to be safe than sorry so use you IRL resources.
All the best.

#9 beachflower

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

Oh dear, don't be too hard on yourself. I did the same thing!! You will find this happens a lot. They have brand new skin, so it will react by turning red. I bet in a day or two it'll be completely fine.

If you see it is bumpy....little blisters forming go to the dr. If it is red and she's happy, alert and feeding well I would feel at ease - but still get an opinion.
Call the nurse online or maternal health line for some reassurance.

Edited by beachflower, 30 December 2011 - 11:32 AM.

#10 bebe2

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

I didn't think I needed to clarify further, but no were weren't out in the heat [it was a very mild day temperature wise, and actually slightly windy], and no I did not think we were in danger of burning, as I obviously wouldn't have exposed my 5wk old to that, we were under cover whilst being outside - not lying on a hot tin roof covered in coconut oil.

Funnily enough sometimes we actually have to leave the house, and god forbid it's in daylight hours...

Thanks for the posts gently advising me to remove my OP, but I'm an old EB member with a new name, so I'm well aware of the 'helpful' posters there are on these boards.
I'm big enough to ignore it for the sake of getting some real advice for my DD.

ETA - Forgot to say a big thank you to those posters who actually did have some great advice hheart.gif

Edited by bebe2, 30 December 2011 - 11:34 AM.

#11 chumbo

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

Oh no, poor bubby and poor you. I have heard that if you have bad sunburn a milk bath can sometimes help. So maybe get a little muslin face washes and dip it in a bit of milk and bad on you babies face to help sooth and cool it.

#12 mumto4boys

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

DS3 was sunburnt as a baby (3 months old). We were also very careful but it happened and I still feel awful about it, even though he is now 18. I cried about it for days and while he doesn't remember it at all, I still worry about what sort of long term damage it may have caused. None of our other children were ever sunburnt at all.

I would advise you to take your baby to the GP. They can give you the most up to date advice on what it best on skin that young.

I know that the cream we used had an anesthetic in it to numb any possible pain and soothe the skin.

Try not to be to hard on yourself (not that I was any good at that bit).

#13 j-gray

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:51 AM

Poor bubba sad.gif You don't realise how little sun it takes for them to burn.

Just wanted to add that you have to be really careful with sun cream also. Really you shouldn't apply it to them before 6 months and even then a VERY little amount. Something to do with the active ingredient being too strong for their little bodies to process. Check with your GP on this one.

I think a lesson learnt for us all...beware australian sun!

#14 ruby

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:02 PM

Just be aware that it doesn't need to be hot for sunburn to occur. Our UV reading here in Brisbane reaches extreme every day and the warning times are from 7.30am until 4. When it is overcast, UV rays are reflected off the clouds, so its something you need to be thinking of all the time when you're out and about with small children. As if we don't have enough on our plates! wink.gif

Ruby

#15 peppersmum

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

Ahh EB still surprises me at times  rolleyes.gif

OP my DD3 got sunburnt for the first time a few weeks ago.  I felt silly too, it wasn't a hot day but the sun was shining and she was in the fullness of it for around 20 minutes before we moved into the shade.  I didn't see it until that evening so send DH down to get some Aloe Vera to put on it.  She was also very happy and didn't seem to be affected by it, but I didn't want her skin peeling badly or anything so applied the Aloe Vera.

Anyway hope it gets better soon ... and don't stress, many of us make these mistakes as parents whether it's our 1st or 4th wink.gif

#16 us plus two

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:26 PM

My mum was told to use vitamin e cream for burns and sun/wind burn for relief, I have used it on my 2 year old who has very sensitive skin. I also agree with other pp who have suggested seeking a medical opinion if you are unsure

#17 lilsunniegirl

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

Friends bub got sunburnt from the sun reflecting off the white pavers!

We use a 55+ baby sunscreen form USA - Aveeno Baby Sunscreen.. you cant get it here so my mum sends it over.

I'd call 13 HEALTH if youre in QLD.. not sure what number other states have.

#18 Newdisplayname

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

do you breastfeed?  a little breastmilk works wonders for nappy rash So I would try a little EBM on their face before anything else.

yes I may be a hippy

#19 bebe2

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

Thanks everyone. Went and got it looked at, and the nurse seemed to think given yesterday's weather, and our position under the shade, that it was more likely to be wind burn.
I didn't even know you could get wind burn  nno.gif

#20 purpleblackqueen

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (Cadie @ 30/12/2011, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I second the delete your post comment.

Im not one to judge but a 5 week old shouldnt be out in the heat anyway (even if under a shade). And next time use sun cream.

Keep bub out the sun. The skin keeps burning even after your out of the sun with a sun burn. Try to keep her skin cool to prevent blistering, and moisturise it lots maybe with a sorbolene, something plain.

xo

This.. A little one that young should not be out in the heat or sun.

#21 idignantlyright

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (bebe2 @ 30/12/2011, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks everyone. Went and got it looked at, and the nurse seemed to think given yesterday's weather, and our position under the shade, that it was more likely to be wind burn.

DD12yrs gets really bad windburn on her lips & cheeks. Pawpaw ointment clears it up fast.

#22 idignantlyright

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (purpleblackqueen @ 30/12/2011, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This.. A little one that young should not be out in the heat or sun.

How do you think those who live on the beach or in hot climates get along?
They must lock themselves up for half the year.

#23 kidwrangler

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

Franni: you are so right! I had totally forgotten we used a little breast milk on bub's skin. It really is magic stuff and assists with healing.

OP: I thought the EBers who said to delete were joking! This place is crazy sometimes  rolleyes.gif  I read it as a very mild issue, scary for mum, not a drama for bub and not a reason to haul yourself over coals or go to a doctor about...

Oh and it's been a few years since my last bub, but we didn't use sunscreen for the first 6 months as it all clearly says not to on the bottles. Even the children's ones. Has that changed?

Hope bub's skin is almost back to normal by now xx

ETA: just saw your new post - glad you got some helpful info from the nurse original.gif I still recommend EBM if you are b/fing.

Edited by kidwrangler, 30 December 2011 - 04:52 PM.

#24 pod30

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

Reminder to everyone that Health Direct the free phone line is 24 hours a day for preganancy and babies the number is Free Call 1800 882 436.

OP please don't beat yourself yourself and I hope the baby will recover quickly in the meantime a cold compress perhaps a clean wash cloth shall take the heat out.

#25 Guest_janedoe2010_*

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (bebe2 @ 30/12/2011, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can't get windburn, it doesn't exist. Your nurse needs an education. Sad when even Wiki knows and the nurse doesn't.  rolleyes.gif  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windburn

Aside from that, I hope your baby sleeps ok. Sunburn is awful and can happen so quickly and sometimes we just don't realise it. sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.