498 replies to this topic

#126 KT1978

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

I'm glad the surgery went well Lou!

Glad you will be home soon. Xxx

#127 mrsgm

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

Hi there

I haven't posted in here before, but I have on another thread I started about cervical cancer.  Hoping to maybe join in here to just have some discussions and maybe be able to offer some support with others living with cancer as well?

It's almost 4 weeks since my diagnosis, and 2 weeks post-op (radical hysterectomy, ovaries and fallopian tubes removed plus some lymph nodes).

Still feel a bit numb about it all, I find it really hard to believe really and associate myself with having cancer.  I am very lucky to have my family and friends around me, but it's also a really isolating feeling I am finding.

A:)

#128 ~*Lou*~

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

Mrsgm - your last paragraph, (i can't cut copy paste on my iPhone) but I totally know what you mean . Give yourself time to absorb this , it's huge and it's horrible, there is no right or wrong way to do this, be gentle on yourself. I assume you are recovering from surgery for now, what is next step in your treatment ?

Lou xxx

#129 notorico

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

mrsgm - welcome - sorry you have to join this part of EB. Cancer can be a very isolating experience. Hope you have smooth recovery - I had a hysterectomy twelve months ago, so know what the recovery is like, take it slowly and look after yourself.

Lou - glad the surgery went well. Hope everything continues that way. Take care of yourself.

Chyloe - that is terrible news - I am thinking of you. Hope the oncologist visit went well.

Chchgirl - once again I am so sorry. Thinking you and your family.

Well tomorrow we finally meet with the surgeons to arrange DS biopsy. DS is being a real trooper, he takes things as they come and whilst he is scared he is also keen to do what it takes to beat this thing. I am holding it together a bit better now that the plans are coming together. I am in organisation mode, getting things ready to leave home for a couple of weeks and get the other three kids organised. It is a tough time for DS2, he is old enough to know how serious things are, he wants to come to hospital and sleep by his brother's bed. Unfortunately that is not possible, kids can't stay but he also has tests coming up for selective classes/high schools for next year. He has worked hard for the last few years because he wants this for himself and now when the opportunity comes he will be on his own, he will stay with a friend who will get him to the exams. On top of all that it is his birthday this week and once again, he can't have a party because of everything else that is going on. I am scraping every available cent together to buy him a decent birthday present to try and make up for it, but even that isn't as much as I would like because of the accommodation costs we are facing. I am so worried of the long lasting impact this is going to have on all the kids, because we need to focus on DS1.

Anyway, that is where we are at for the moment.

#130 scarfie

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:30 AM

Chyloe, so sorry to hear about your DHs surgery and results, it sucks.

KT1978, hope things are going better in your relationship, DH and I are finding it hard to communicate too, he in such a different place than me.

Lou, glad surgery went well for you, hope your results are positive.

Mrsgm, I know what you mean about being numb, it has been just over a months since DHs diagnosis and it all seems so unreal, there are moments when it is almost normal, and then something hits you for six again.  I hope that your ongoing treatment is successful and not too hard.

Notorico, I hope that all goes well with DS and his biopsy.  We have decided to bypass biopsy and go straight for getting as much of DHs tumour out as possible.  Can't say I am looking forward to that, his expected stay in hospital is 5 days, what have you been told for DS?

We had had a fairly 'normal' week, just getting on with things, but DH has now fallen into a pit of despair.  Hie is quite depressed and finding it hard to sleep.  He watched Today Tonight on Tuesday and they interviewed one of their reporters who discovered she had breast cancer when she was pregnant and who is now going through chemo.  It struck him quite hard, especially when she talked about how long life might be.  

He gets confused sometimes, which doesn't help.  He has researched the difference between chemo and radiation, but it has never been suggested that he have chemo, so he has been upsetting himself over that for nothing.  We are attending a forum organised by the Brain Tumour Alliance Australia tonight and they will have sharing groups first so hopefully by talking to others in the same situation it will help.  He has also organised his first counselling appointment for next week with a counsellor from the Cancer Council.

He is very much self focused, expects me to be on the same wavelength as him over everything.  Will just start talking to me about anything and it's almost like he thinks we are already in the middle of a conversation.  I don't know whether that is part of the psychology of where he is at, or whether it is another symptom of his advancing disease.  He still shows no interest in what is happening for me, I am involved in a coroners case at work and we had the final session on Tuesday and he has asked me nothing about it, didn't even acknowledge that it was on.  The counsellor I am seeing at work has told me I have PTSD, I wake myself up every night in a state, obviously reliving what happened, but not remembering.  DH again, while reassuring at night, has never mentioned it during the day, or asked how I am getting on.

Anyway, enough from me.  Sorry about the last little rant, hope it doesn't offend anyone, but I feel like this is the only place I can put it out there, I think my friends who know about DH would be offended at some of my responses, and I do still feel selfish for not being 100% focused on him, but I do also have four kids that need to have normality and stability in their lives at the moment, and they are not getting that from their Dad, so I feel like I have to over compensate and that doesn't leave much for me.

Take care all.

#131 notorico

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

Scarfie, don't apologise, that is what we are all here for. If we can't get it out here where can we. Hopefully the counselling will help for your DH I know it really helped me - I always feel a bit lighter when leaving a session.

We don't have the option of resection at this point so will only be doing the biopsy. We have been told that he will be in hospital anything from 5 days to 2 weeks depending on how everything goes. We are preparing for the maximum stay, but obviously hoping for a shorter stay. DS hates staying in hospital, so is quite anxious about it all.

#132 mrsgm

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

Thanks everyone...yes am just recovering at the moment.  Every day is a little bit better and I get a bit more mobile but trying to take it slowly, still can't walk far etc.  Have my mum here for another couple of weeks, and then after that will probably just have help during the day and DH to help at night.  I am worried about not having someone here full time as it's hard with the boys and not being about to pick up DS2 who is only 17 months and just doesn't understand, but I guess we will figure it out as we go.

My pathology from the surgery was pretty good and they were happy with margins so at this stage no radiation.  I thought I might have to as it had fused to my bladder but it's not recommended at the moment.  I know I am lucky, but was almost hoping to have it as a bit of an insurance policy to make sure all the cells are gone.  Now it's just a wait and see and having regular checks and hoping I don't get any other symptoms back.

My oncologist thinks there is a 90% chance the surgery is all that will be required.  Given there is a less than 1% chance I should have even had cancer, 10% chance of recurrence feels like of high to me at the moment, but I guess it's just something I have to learn how to live with.  

Lou, I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis and surgery.  How are you feeling post-op?  Hope your children are ok - mine found it hard when I was in hospital but have been much happier since I got home - hope it's the same for you too.

Notorico, that sounds just so hard, I hope the meeting with the surgeons goes ok today.  I hope your boys are coping ok, it sounds as though they are close?  

Scarfie, don't feel bad at all, it's better to get all your feelings out and to be honest, I found it good for me to read.  I am trying pretty hard to just keep things as normal as possible at home for us all, and it's good for me to have a reminder to not let this horrible situation and my feelings about it take over everything, and to make sure DH and I still have normal conversations and I ask him about work etc.  I have no doubt there are some days it will be harder than others, and we are going to have a lot to work through together, but it's good to hear from other people who are also living with it and how it affects them too.

#133 Chchgirl

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

Hi guys, haven't checked in much lately as been pretty busy (and admittedly sometimes I forget!), but thinking of all who have gone through or partners have gone through surgery..

Hang in there Lou, I know someone who went through the same, just focus on your recovery and mental wellbeing...

Thinking of your dh, Chlyoe..remember there are a lot of things they can do, this is just the first step..

Scarfie, all I can say is rant away, it is needed, I wish I could have done that in here 2 years ago! ( I still go on a bit!)..

Mrsgm, glad you have joined, as the others have said, give it time to sink in first..

Hope everyone else is hanging in there, KT you too...

I'm not always good with words in writing ( you should see me in real life though, I am a talker and don't stop!), but one thing I can say to anyone new who joins this thread (Mrsgm hear me ) is two things,

1. Don't be freaked out by other's stories too much, every case is different and what may be bad for one person may work well for the next, everyone reponds differently and every person's case is different. Don't be freaked out by my dh as others are different.

2.Stay away from google if you can. Too much bad crap on there..

Take care all xxxx

#134 *TikkaB*

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

Wishing you a speedy recovery LOU.

Love from Angela & Saffron (DD)

#135 *Chyloe*

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

Lou..glad that your surgery went well and hope you get to go home today.

Mrsgm - welcome and sorry about your diagnosis also. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Notorico, hope all goes well for your DS.

DH is still in hospital. They sent us to the Wesley on Wednesday to have radiation planning done but they couldn't do it due to staples still being in incision. Now next Wednesday instead. They are trying to get his pain under control before they let him out. Radiation 15 treatments over 3 weeks.

I told the boys on Saturday. The oldest pretty much knew and the youngests first question was "is daddy going to die?" Heartbreaking...I am doing OK..some days better than others..some days completely sh*t.

#136 LilWil2

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

OMG!!! Scarfie!  Did I meet you at the Kollig institute on thursday?  If I didn't actually meet you, you might remember me anyway - I was the one running around with the camera - and my dad was doing the registration (mum was there too).  small world!  
You mentioned your husband is self absorbed and starts/stops sentences md thought.  Before my surgery I was exactly the same.  I am much more aware now.  I am so glad to hear you are going to do resection. I was given the option of watchful waiting, biopsy and resection for my 'low grade' glioma.  I figured that the end result either way was going to end in resection so did that first.  who is doing the surgery?  I'd be happy to have a chat about what you might expect.  PM me if you wish.  

Notorico - how old is your son?  good luck with the biopsy results.

apologies for not singling out others for personal response.  My heart goes out to you all, but I can't concentrate the way I used to!

Renee

#137 scarfie

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:43 AM

LIWII2, I didn't meet you on Thursday, but I do remember you, you were sitting (when you weren't up taking photos) a few rows in front of us!  I'm really pleased we went.  It made the reality of it all more, but also gave us comfort that we are not in this alone.  As someone in my DHs sharing group said "this is the new normal".  One of the women in my sharing group gave me her phone number so I have a 'buddy' which is great, also a couple of women from the BTAA and Cancer Council told me to phone them and they can help out with the practical side of things.

After hearing the costs involved, we are now thinking we may go publicly, but not sure how to go about doing that.  We are happy with the Neurosurgeon and Oncologist we have seen so far, but not sure we can access them publicly, so much to work out.  Having a 'one stop shop' would def be a great idea!

Resection seems to make more sense, both the Neurosurgeon and Oncologist have recommended this, I can't see the point in putting DH through surgery twice.  I have moments when I think we are doing the right thing, and then moments when I freak out, thinking what if it is growing while we wait, and when we have the next MRI done it is much bigger?  But then  think we just need to trust the decisions we are making.  It is in a sh*tty spot anyway and they are not going to be able to get it all out, so just leave it for a bit.

Hope all others are well.

#138 *Chyloe*

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

Scarfie - It is so hard to know what to do/say - what is right/wrong with treatments and the like.  Sort of like you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.  Totally hear you about the cost of everything also.  Before DH first got diagnosed back in 2007, he used to whinge about the cost of the health insurance I insisted on having for the boys more than us.  Since diagnosis, the insurance has been a godsend, and we've found that you get way more benefits if you're an in-patient at the hospital (for example a test that DH had back in 2007 would have cost us heaps, but because he had been admitted, the health fund picked up the whole lot and we never even saw the bill).  

DH came home on Saturday.  He was very happy to be home, especially as the food was crap (not that he is eating a whole lot anyway).  They discharged him with heavy duty pain relief which seems to be working Ok.  He was OK Sunday but not as good Monday and today.

We're off to The Wesley Hospital in Brisbane tomorrow for radiation planning.  Actual treatment will probably start next week.

Edited by *Chyloe*, 13 March 2012 - 10:28 PM.

#139 Allymeg69

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

Hi everybody,
I have not been into this general chat thread before, but today I just feel the need to come in and have a bit of a rant/pity party etc. I won't bore you with repeating my history, if you want to look it is contained in this thread  http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=898586 .

In short I have melanoma, I was hoping by now I could say I HAD melanoma, but today I got the fairly bad (but not entirely unexpected) news that 5 moles taken off various parts of me last week have all turned out to contain evidence of metastatic melanoma. GRRRR. I went to have the stitches out this morning expecting that to be all, and my plastic surgeon called me in with that sort of look on his face and told me that he had already spoken to my oncologist and made an appt for me for next Tuesday morning, and that I will need to have some sort of re-staging procedure done - I imagine that might be another PET scan but will find out next week.

And into the bargain I discovered some swelling in my groin area a few weeks ago, I had a review with my general surgeon (who did my axillary clearance last year) a couple of days ago, and he advised doing an ultrasound to try and see what is going on, which may be followed by a fine needle biopsy, so I suppose I'll talk to my oncologist about this next week too - I have a suspicion this could all be tied in to these spreading malignant moles that seem to be cropping up all over my body - every time I look in the mirror at the moment I seem to find some new little bugger, and I know my skin pretty well by now! If I have to keep having them all cut out I'll look like a pincushion.

Just so annoyed and angry with my body for doing this too me!! I suppose that is a common feeling. And every time I think of my little boy I am so worried I will not be around to see much of his life. I know I just have to stay positive, and I am ever so grateful that my plastic surgeon was suspicious enough last year to order extra tests which meant we got onto the mets in my axilla at a very early stage.

I have been in to read this thread before and send my best wishes to all the rest of you who are either battling cancer yourselves or supporting someone who is. Thanks for listening, I'll probably be back from time to time for a general chat.
Ally

Edited by Allymeg69, 15 March 2012 - 02:50 PM.

#140 mrsgm

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

Hi ally
Sorry to hear about your update.  Hopefully it wont be too long until you find out what is going on, i found the waiting hard.
I feel the same about my body failing me, and the fear of not seeing my boys grow up.
I have found a lot of support here and just knowing that people understand what you are going through has been a help.
What day next week is your appt with your oncologist?
A:)

#141 Allymeg69

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

Thanks Mrsgm, my oncologist appt is next Tuesday morning (20th) so not a long wait. It is good just to be able to get things out somewhere like this. My DH & I talked about it last night and we agreed that we wouldn't tell family and friends just yet until we have more information, otherwise it just worries more people. My own parents are away overseas at the moment anyway until the end of the month. My dad turned into a blubbering mess last year when we got the first bad news so I hate to think how he will take more of it.

I'll update after next Tuesday.
Ally

#142 *Chyloe*

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

Ally....sorry to hear your news.  This whole bloody cancer thing just sucks.... sad.gif

DH starts radiation next Wednesday.

#143 *TikkaB*

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

Hello everyone.

I've had a funny week - performance review at work for a job that I never applied for but was 'given' when I returned to work after radiation for my IBD. I passed with flying colours. I'm doing a techi job in a psych industry so no one wants the job, but since I have a technical background it suits me. I was also afraid that the number of days I've had off sick would be brought up - sometimes after testing or starting new drugs I just fall in a heap for a few days - but it all seems to be accepted for what it is, a very real sickness with very real repercussions.

My big news is that I have been chosen as a subject for an entry into a fund raising photographic exhibition called "Sharing the Scares" hosted by the NBCF in Victoria. The lady taking the pictures wanted a mother and young daughter combo. She'd never hear of IBD before (as most women don't - didn't realise it's not picked up by mammograms, and that most sufferers die within 18 months of diagnosis). She is a professional world-renowned photographer. You will have seen her work, she won one of the 'Shoot the Chef' comps with her interpretation of a chef and staff based on 'Christ's Last Supper'. Oh Yeah! I passed 20 months just recently too! I am looking forward to having some great mother-daughter shots for my daughter, because the only ones we have at the minute I want to burn.

BUY TICKETS at https://register.eventarc.com/event/view/78...ibition-auction would be good if you could share this link as far and as wide as you can.
Event: Sharing the Scares – A NBCF Charity Event Photography Exhibition and Auction
Venue: James Makin Gallery - www.jamesmakingallery.com Auctioneer -  Cameron Menzies
Dates: June 29th – Auction and Gala event (June 25th to 30th – works on show)
Time: June 29th Friday Night Gala 6pm

The photographer is also going to enter my images into an international photography competition held in New York. Last year 75,000 images were submitted from 700 countries and 'my' photographer came second! She has said that I don't have to worry about how I look as she is going for a very positive image, and she Photoshops her work until it has a WoW factor.

#144 Allymeg69

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

Hi everyone, I hope you are all OK.

I just thought I would come in and post an update - things have moved fairly rapidly. I saw my oncologist on Tuesday morning, she wanted an immediate full body and head CT done, and that happened yesterday (a horrible experience, 5 attempts to get a canula in, and I was left with a pounding headache, don't know why it was so much worse than previous ones). Results were discussed today, and I have two areas of concern with lymph nodes, the groin which I had felt come up myself, and para-aortic, deep inside my lower chest/abdomen. The para-aortic nodes showed some enlargement on an initial CT last year but on a follow up hadn't changed so there was not too much concern, but looks like now they have been harbouring some melanoma cells. Thankfully there is no evidence of any major organs being affected.

So, I am going to have a node or two taken out of the groin next week for biopsy and genetic testing, then it's off to Sydney to see Prof Rick Kefford at Westmead and hopefully get entered into a trial of BRAF/MEK inhibitors that is showing some positive results. The bad thing is that I am likely to be separated from my husband and kids for some weeks at least, DH & DS (18 mths) will come down to start with, we were going to Sydney for Easter anyway so we have just brought the flight forward, the step-kids I won't get to see for a while, very thankful that their mum is flexible and won't have a problem having them some extra days if necessary. It all just feels like I am standing at the top of a very big and scary roller-coaster at the moment!

Dreading telling my parents the news, they get back from a lovely holiday on the 30th, and I'm going to have to call them the next day and tell them we'll be there on the 1st! I will enlist the support of one of mum's good friends and also my aunty before I make the call.

#145 Chchgirl

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

Hey Ally,

I'm sorry I'm not really that good at expressing my words in writing or knowing what to say to others, but keep us posted with how things are going..glad to hear nothing has spread to other organs..fingers crossed.xx

#146 mrsgm

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

Ally i was thinking of you this week and wondering what was happening.  I am sorry to hear your update, hopefully it wont be too much longer before you know exactly what is going x

#147 KT1978

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

Hi guys,

Chemo round three has started this week, we had such a nice break. like clockwork, we are fighting again (well we fought on chemo day, I get yelled at for the stupidest things). His anxiety really comes out as angry but only at me... rolleyes.gif  I'm adapting...only 12 more weeks!

Chyloe how did the radiation go?

how are you chch? how is dh?

Karkat how was the oncologist visit last week?

The roll call in here is getting so big I'm having trouble keeping up with dates and stuff. I hope everyone is doing ok.

Edited by KT1978, 22 March 2012 - 10:26 PM.

#148 karkat

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hi all,

Been a while since I've been in here, so busy!

Ally - sorry to hear your news, I was briefly in the Sept 2010 parents group, my DD has just turned 18mths too. I know what you mean about being on top of a roller coaster, that's exactly how I felt when DH was diagnosed, and knowing you can't get off.

KT1978 - Sorry to hear that your DH is still turning his anxiety to anger at you, must be so hard on top of everything, it's so much for both of you to deal with.

Oncologist appt went really well, most polite dr I've ever met (and I work at a hospital!). DH had a port-a-cath inserted Wednesday and starts chemo on Monday. He has treatment Mon and Tues, but only spends 3-4 hrs each day in hospital and is then hooked up to a pump and can go home for the rest of it, then is unhooked from the pump on Wednesday, and does this every second week. Unfortunately none of it can be done at our local hospital, so we have a 3 hour round trip to the hospital each day.

We seem to be finally out of the fog that seemed to be around us for the last month or so. Both being positive and trying to talk things through. The oncologist was a bit of a boost for DH as he said that although it's not good there was cancer in 2/10 nodes they were very close to the initial tumor and weren't particularly enlarged or very differentiated, so hoping that DH is already cancer free but chemo is just to make sure.

Best wishes to everyone.

#149 KT1978

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

Wow KarKat, that sounds like a heavier chemo regime than my DP.

He is on Flourouricil, but they avoided a port-a-cath or picc line, he just gets an injection/IV into alternate hands each week, and only one session per week, no take homes.

Sometimes I worry that his chemo mightn't be heavy enough to stop a new tumour sprouting.  unsure.gif  Especially as your DH sounds so similar (2/10 lymph nodes too!).

Don't worry, we will be fine.  This week was better than the last blow up, he just gets anxious and it comes out in odd ways (like if he can't find something he panics and then gets mad at me).  I'll survive it, as long as he turns back into his normal self after chemo.  wink.gif

Good luck For Monday.

Wow KarKat, that sounds like a heavier chemo regime than my DP.

He is on Flourouricil, but they avoided a port-a-cath or picc line, he just gets an injection/IV into alternate hands each week, and only one session per week, no take homes.

Sometimes I worry that his chemo mightn't be heavy enough to stop a new tumour sprouting.  unsure.gif  Especially as your DH sounds so similar (2/10 lymph nodes too!).

Don't worry, we will be fine.  This week was better than the last blow up, he just gets anxious and it comes out in odd ways (like if he can't find something he panics and then gets mad at me).  I'll survive it, as long as he turns back into his normal self after chemo.  wink.gif

Good luck For Monday.

#150 *Chyloe*

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

Ally - sorry about your news and about the attempts at the CT scan.  sad.gif  DH has had a couple of shocking attempts with those as well, but they all know him really well where he gets his and he is treated like royalty.  Hope next week went well, and good luck with telling your parents.  That is going to be hard.  sad.gif

KT - bummer about the chemo starting again, and boy do I know how you feel .....I feel like I can't say anything right, I am negative, I yell at the kids too much, his mother/father/sister don't interfere (yeah right), and SSDD (same sh*t different day)......blah blah blah.....

Karkat - hope the chemo goes well for your DH....3 hour round trip - I thought ours was bad at 1.5 hours.  original.gif

Well, DH has now had 3 radiation treatments......12 more to go.  He says the treatments are just like having an x-ray and it doesn't hurt.  He is still using the fentonil (sp?) patches which is helping with the pain relief, as well as panadol osteo.  The doctors don't like him using nurofen very much as he only has one functional kidney (part of the left kidney was removed 18 months ago during his second surgery and it is now atrophied and not functioning at all).  He is also having zofran wafers for nausea, and as long as he has them, he can eat and drink.  He's lost 25 kilograms since Sept 2010 when he had the second surgery (10 of those in the last 3 weeks).  

Apart from that, I've been at work, but have adjusted my hours so I can drop the kids at the bus in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon when the bus gets back from school.  I am very lucky that my employer is fantastic.  original.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Video: Toddler not keen on clean-shaven dad

This little girl thought she was taking part in a standard game of peek-a-boo, but her dad had a surprise for her.

When will I feel like myself again?

At some point I became 'me' again, but not the same me that I was ... and that?s not a bad thing.

Our Watch: ending the national emergency of domestic violence

An ambitious new national initiative aims to address the "national emergency" of domestic violence across Australia.

Decrease in stillbirths in late pregnancy and older mums

There has been a fall in the number of stillbirths among some groups of women despite the overall rate remaining stable, a new report reveals.

My baby was permanently injured during birth

My baby was a few months old when we first heard the term ?brachial plexus birth injury? and the heart wrenching news that he may never gain full function of his arm.

Being a yo-yo mama is the rhythm of motherhood

A flip-flop happy-sad can occur in the same minute, the same second. And it continues forever, throughout a yo-yo mama's tenure, beginning with pregnancy.

Is it okay to ask for money instead of gifts?

First it was weddings. Then it was engagement parties. Now it seems christenings are following the trend of asking guests for money in lieu of gifts.

Crash testing new parenthood

The new documentary series Crash Test Mummies & Daddies takes a fly-on-the-wall look at the first months of life with a newborn.

Itching for a solution to eczema

Around 30 per cent of children live with eczema every day. A dad shares his son's story and gets advice from an expert.

Video: The challenges and joys of making new mum friends

This hilarious video shows how making new mum friends can be awkward - but reassures that it is possible.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

The truth about birth trauma

Some say mums should just be happy if they have a healthy baby, but for new mums with birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.