Uses for vinegar

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 AMPSyd

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:17 AM

After reading a certain thread here I wondered how and where can you use vinegar for cleaning.

Does anyone has tips on it. It was interesting. I bought a air vaporiser/steamer for DD and the cleaning instructions suggested once a week diluting vinegar with water to clean it out.

Thanks, Jo.

#2 strawberrycakes

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:21 AM

I love using a vinegar & bicarb solution to wash my floor tiles.  they come up so clean, no streaks or sticky residue either.

I use vinegar to clean the lounge & it gets rid of smells too.

Have used it to clean the washing machine & fridge aswell.

#3 barrington

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

It is recommended to use vinegar with my new Scooba  wub.gif

#4 CountryFeral

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (Poet in New York @ 01/12/2011, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do you use it without leaving your house smelling like a packet of S&V potato chips though?

That's the best bit!

#5 Mel.Bell

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

I have a book called "VINEGAR: 1001 Practical Uses" by Margaret Briggs -Abbeydale Press ...

Google it prehaps -Could find that interesting like I do original.gif

#6 belsy

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:39 AM

Window's, stainless steel appliances, floor, disenfectant and great for getting wee stains and smells out of carpet.

Almost forgot - it is awesome for microwaves, heat up half vinegar and half water for 2 mins in the microwave.  Then everything just wipes down beautifully.

Once the vinegar or solution is dry, it doesn't smell.

#7 bettymm

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

I use it undiluted (1 cup) with a tablespoon of bicarb soda to scrub the inside of the toilet.  if you poor it in while it is still fizzing and then scrub with the toilet brush.

I also have a great home made all purpose cleaner which you mix in a spray bottle.. Its just 50/50 vinegar and water and i add a squirt of dishwashing liquid and 10 drops of essential lavender oil.  I use this for EVERYTHING!  all through the house.  It leaves it smelling of lavender, not vinegar and lavender also has natural antibacterial properties so this is a good one to clean /wipe the toilet seat.  Makes the bathroom shine too.

Also , you can pour it undiluted into the fabric softener dispenser of your washing machine and it softens clothes too!
wonderful stuff!!

#8 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

cleaning mirrors with newspaper and vinegar
run a hot wash and vinegar through dshwshr to clean
soak anything mouldy in it
use as a rinse for towels, nappies to keep soft
clean vases
floors
mould in showers
use with bi-carb for cleaning bathrooms
wee smells in carpet or beds

I use it for everything - the smell goes 2 mins after using it.

#9 haras1972

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

I just use it for cleaning the microwave, which is awesome and so easy, but I need to check out all these other uses.....

#10 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

it works brilliantly as a fabric softener, I also highly recommend it. I just use homebrand white vinegar @ $1.09 a 2L bottle. I also use it to clean windows and as spray and wipe with dishwashing liquid and tea tree oil.

Just wondering does it actually disinfectant?as in how effective is it?

#11 beccaj

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

best cleaner for the oven with a bit of bicarb

add vanilla or citrus oils for smell

I use it for all the above mentioned things too

#12 kissy10

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:22 PM

Whilst not used for cleaning,  I use apple cider vinegar after shampooing with real soap.

#13 emc002

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

I have used it for anything really.

It's good on degreasing a little.

Good for odours, cleaning.

#14 JamJah

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:37 PM

Fantastic on the BBQ plate if you pour it on when plate has cooled a little (if you do it straight away the smell almost knocks you over lol).  It makes it so easy to clean.  I also agree with everything else that has been mentioned original.gif

#15 désir d'amour

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

third the fabric softener.

Also, put jewellry in a shallow bowl.   Dust with bicarb.  Pour vinegar.   voila! Shiny jewellry!

#16 spando

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

Instead of rinse aid in the dishwasher.

#17 Guest_HappyLarry_*

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

Kissy10 could you tell me a little more about that, like the benefits? Does it just remove the soap residue?

#18 PurpleNess

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

Yep i use it for everything - mopping floors, bench tops, mirrors etc. I have two bottles mixed with water for spot cleaning around the house, one has a tad of lavender disinfectant for foul stuff like cat vomit etc....

Might have to try in the dishwasher instead of rinse aid, that's a good one! BBQ plate too - that's for expanding my repetoire.

#19 jamdonut

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

I use vinegar instead of rinse aid in my dishwasher and everything comes out super sparkling. I also use it instead of fabric softener when washing my towels - it keeps them super soft without degrading the fibres. Love the tip about cleaning the microwave - will give that a go tomorrow!

#20 bebebumblebee

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (HappyLarry @ 10/12/2011, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kissy10 could you tell me a little more about that, like the benefits? Does it just remove the soap residue?

I have just started this myself have made a shampoo with the shampoo is 25g pure soap flakes, 2 tsp borax, 1ltr distilled water, 40 drops rosemary oil and 40 drops lavender oil and the conditioner is 1 tbs apple cider vinager and 1 cup water (as taken form Organic at Home, Judyth McLeod it is an awesome book) the vinager (correct me if I am wrong ) is the same ph as our hair so there for better for it, since using this method I no longer have ichy scalp or cradle cap and my fine hair is no longer frizzy. Infact my hair has never looked so good.

#21 Mamabug

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:35 PM

We use a vinegar/water mix in a spray bottle to rinse out the potty. Empty, spray, wipe - done! And no lingering wee smell.

#22 *mylittleprince*

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:39 PM

I clean the spout of the coffee machine (the milk frother thingy). I take a zip lock bag, pour vinegar in, tie it around the spout and leave it for ten minutes. The old milk comes off beautifully. You have to position other things (like a bowl, mug, etc) to keep it in place.

#23 matt1972

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:40 PM

My wife is absolutely troppo for cleaning products. We have about 6 different shower cleaners and 4 types of Jiff! She inherited this from her Mum who has 8 types of bleach in the house.
Now that she is pregnant she doesn't want to be near chemicals and I nearly fainted yesterday when she told me that she was using vinegar and water to clean the stove top.

#24 KristyMum-

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:39 PM

I used to use it for cleaning the highchair (if it didn't get a squirt down in the garden outside and then some sun).

Gets the job done, knocks off bugs and no nasties in it.

Edited by KristyMum-, 24 December 2011 - 09:39 PM.

#25 Tiger Lilly

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

Thank you for the enlightenment everyone!

I came on here because I was sure I'd seen the fabric softner one somewhere before and I was about to wash pee'd on bedsheets!

*off to add the vinegar*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.