Grandparents names

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 readyandraring

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

So I just posted about this in the hormone thread but it does raise a good question that I would love to hear from all of you about.

My MIL (DH's Step Mum) has decided she is too young to be a grandmother (at 53) and that she does not want a traditional name so she wants to be Glam-Ma!  ohmy.gif   unsure.gif   blink.gif No chance!!!

We have suggested Granny D which she does not mind but then one of her friends said "oh I like that!" so she is back to wanting it.

So what names are your parents going with?

#2 Teemoo

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:06 PM

We ended up with grandma at the fishes house (mil) & grandpa. Then mum wants to be gran because her mum was gran but is known as gran gran to her great grand kids. So mum gets called grandma at smokeys house (their cat) & grandpa. Ey we just go with it.

#3 Becwb

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:55 AM

My DS isn't the first grandchild, so it was decided with BIL, that they get called Ma & Pa. It was also because they thought they are too young to be called anything else....

#4 bubblynutter

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:37 AM

My parents decided they want to be called Nar-Nar and Ah-Pah. Apparently my eldest nephew picked the names when he couldn't say nanna and pop properly, but I hate it and think it's ridiculously childish. I mean, what 13yo grandchild is going to want to call them that?!

The M/FIL are Nanna and Poppa. Nice and simple!

#5 erinmac

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:59 AM

My parents are Mamma and Poppy - my mum was Grandma and my eldest nephew and niece used to just say mamma instead, it sort of stuck and we actually dont mind it.

The inlaws are going to be Nan and Pa.

Of note my grandmother (the nieces and nephews great grandmother) is just called Great now, which she particullary likes original.gif

#6 titch80

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:22 AM

Hehe Ready my mum was the same when DD was born! So we have ..

Noni (my mum)
Pa (my much more accepting dad)
Nanny (DH's mum)
Grandad (Dh's stepdad)
Little Nanny (Dh's Grandma)
Nanny Beach (Dh's stepmum) -
Pa Beach (Dh's dad - his dad and stepmum live in Merimbula)
Pa Q (my half brother's dad)
Tina (my half brother's stepmum)

Yep...DD has a whole lot of Grandparent love!!

#7 starqueen_78

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:30 AM

Well, my Mum is Nana, My Dad and his new fiancee are Grandpa and Grandma, and my MIL is Nanna and FIL is GRUMPAS!! He loves Grumpas so much and we started calling him that when we got the dog, and it stuck! It makes him sound grumpy when in fact it is my Dad that is the grump, but oh well.

#8 Guest_chocmudcake_*

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

My parents are Nanny(43 years) and Grumpy/ Grumps (50 years). Has taken DD a long time to be able to say Grumps but it melts his heart every time she says it now wub.gif
My deceased dad is referred to as Poppy.
My Nan and Pop (both deceased) are Grand Nan and Grand Pop.
We often show DD photos of her deceased grandparents and great grandparents.

There is no one on DH's side by our choice, so we dont refer to them as anything and she basically doesnt know they exist.

#9 MusicGal34

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:39 AM

Hi R&R,

That's a tough one!  The only thing I can think of, and I know it's not particularly helpful, but maybe suggest that the name "Glam-ma" might be a bit hard for the child to pronounce and might be confusing if other people correct them thinking they mean grandma.  If it were me (and it's just my opinion, you don't have to take this suggestion at all) I'd suggest a shorter name (gran, nan etc) would be easier for the child to say sooner and would let your child be able to communicate with her sooner (or something like that).  They aren't going to even understand what glam-ma means until they are much older, so maybe she can hold it on reserve until then (and hopefully forget about it by then as well!).

I do think it's hillarious and quite a mouthful too wink.gif  I have the opposite of the whole "I'm too young" bit where my mum keeps going on about how OLD my dad is now (he's 63) almost like he's about to drop dead any second!  I told dad he's going to have a second grandson now, and he is laughing about it all and how old he's starting to feel.  But it's a different response to DP's parents, who are just so excited.  DP's dad came over to help us with our garage sale last Saturday, and one of his workmates showed up.  I happened to walk out at that time, and he grabbed me and was like "here, come meet her, this is the one who is having my gandson!"  I had to laugh, it's so endearingly sweet original.gif

#10 Nanaimo Girl

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:10 AM

Ugh I don't blame your MIL. I am dreading being called Grandma or gran or Nanna or something. I however wouldn't be going with Glam-Ma.

I think I'll be insisting on a version of my nickname or something.

#11 red in oz

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:53 AM

Both sets of Grandparents in our family insisted on being Grandma and Grandad

So Grandma Jane and Grandad Colin, and Grandma Nonny and Grandad John...

DD1 calls my parents her 'old' grandma and grandad, and DH's parents her 'new' grandma and grandad. Despite the fact that my parents are about 10 years younger... but my parents came to visit last November, and then my in-laws arrived at Christmas, so they were the 'new' ones...

#12 readyandraring

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

hmm there are some great names out there, I am glad others don't think I am reacting about Glam-Ma, also I am not sure what the other grandmothers will think who are just happy with Nanna!

I am sure she will get past it, we are just going to give her a list of names to choose from, I think she is so unsure about her role as a grandmother and how much we want her involved that she is a bit nervous. I am sure she will calm down, I just need to keep her settled and involved.

I was a little annoyed when she laughed at our idea of a family photo board in bubs room, she did not like the idea. As we are in Singapore all our family is in the US and Australia, we thought by having a family board up we will continually talk to bub about the family and show them the photos so they know faces.

She laughed and said it is too young to know and that we will just skype, DH jumped in and said we think it will help and we just want bub to want to feel comfortable and know faces when he/she meets people. Oh well people are always going to laugh at parenting choices I am sure. She also thinks we should keep bubs bedroom as a storage place as bub is not going to know if they have a nice room or not! She knew I was annoyed about that.

oh I got off topic! sorry!

#13 MrsLauren

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

Mum mum is Nanny, her mum is Nanna

My dad is Pappa and my step mum is 'G'.

Hubby's mum is Grandma, and she's the youngest of them all !

#14 athnessa

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:44 PM

My mother also didn't want to be grandma so she came up with babooshka.  My DS now calls her "Boocar". My dad is Papa and FIL is Grandpa and MIL is Nanna.

#15 Teemoo

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:50 PM

readyandraring - the photo board is a great idea. ds1 could pick out people in photos just before he turned 2? maybe. he LOVES photos and has our old doggie (karsha who passed away july 2010) near his change table. he always talks about her!

#16 le_auteur

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:04 PM

My mum and dad are Grammy and Pop to my nephew, and my DH's mum will be Grandma (like her mum was)

#17 MusicGal34

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

readyandraring I agree with teemoo, the photoboard sounds like a fabulous idea!  At the end of the day this is your child, so she can laugh all she wants, but it's ultimately up to you what you want to do for your child.  It sounds like a wonderful way to introduce your child to their extended family when everyone is so far away!

#18 readyandraring

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

thanks ladies, family means alot to me so I really want to do what I can considering the distance.

It sounds like a lot of parents like to carry on the tradition of what their parents were called which is nice, though I did tell my in-laws who knows what the child will end up calling you and it looks like I was right, Athnessa I like Boocar! very cute.

#19 Little Duck

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

There is a very, very long list of grandparent names here: http://www.grandparents.com/gp/content/act...rent-names.html

Rather disturbingly "Glamma" appears! Argh. I suspect that when it comes to the crunch it won't matter as your kids will end up calling her Grandma. My MIL wanted to be "Nan" as she thought Nana was a bit old (fair enough) but one of her grandson's (9 years) calls her Nana because that is the word he is familiar with so he just converted "Nan" to Nana himself. My DS calls her "Nanny" because he sticks "y" on the end of everything! So they can wish away, the kids will end up calling them something else!

#20 dizzy-anne

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

Ouch ready!  Glam-ma???  Oh dear.

Mine are this:

My Dad - Grandpa Dave
his partner - Aunty

My Mum - Nana

FIL - Grandpa Bill
his partner - haven't discussed yet - probably just her name

MIL - Grandma
SFIL - Opa (he's Dutch)

#21 Working_Mummy

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:42 PM

My parents who are separated are Grandma & Grandpa
Inlaws are Grandma & Grandad

At 2.5 DS knows who you are talking about.

#22 WhiteCat

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

My Mum is Yia Yia (although we're not Greek - she decided this is what she wanted to be called when she saw "Secrets of the Yia Yia Sisterhood).  My Dad is Poppa.

My DH's father is deceased but he was Poppa also - we call him Poppa Steve when we talk to our DD about him. We don't have any contact with DH's Mum or Step-Mum.

My Grandma (my Mum's Mum) is still alive, and everyone calls her Grandma.  My Dad's Mum is also still alive and she's called Nanna.

All pretty standard ... one of my old bosses is a Grandparent and his grandkids call him Stevie (his name is Steve). I think it's cute for him, but I wouldn't accept my children calling my Dad by his name 'Kevin' (or Kev).

Edited by WhiteCat, 29 November 2011 - 05:54 PM.

#23 red in oz

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (WhiteCat @ 29/11/2011, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All pretty standard ... one of my old bosses is a Grandparent and his grandkids call him Stevie (his name is Steve). I think it's cute for him, but I wouldn't accept my children calling my Dad by his name 'Kevin' (or Kev).

lol! My DD will not stop calling her dad 'Sam' instead of daddy, at the end of the day, they will decide what they call the grandparents, strongly influenced by what you call them...

ready, the picture board is a lovely idea, we had a picture of each set of grandparents and one of my bro/SIL and niece in my DDs' bedroom until DH dropped it and broke the glass, I should get around to replacing it.

#24 CarlieB

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

I remember my whole life my mum wanted to be the same as her grandmother, which was Grandma, but now I think she feels like that's a bit old. I can't even remember what she said she wants to be called now. My dad decided to be stupid and wants to be called "the grand poo bar". I told him if he doesn't come up with something better we'll get the child to call him by his first name, which I know he would hate as whenever my mum used to refer to him by his first name he'd say, what am I? The kid's step-father? MIL is already Grammy to DP's niece and nephew so we'll stick with that, but they call her husband by his first name and DP wants our child to call him Grandpa or something as he's been a part of his mum's life for quite some time now. So we'll end up with pretty straight-forward names. I just want to avoid them being the same on both sides!

#25 Happylilcamper

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

my mum and step dad are gran and gramps
my dad and step mum are poppy and jojo ( shes just turned 30 and not quite ready for the others haha)
DP mum and dad will be nana and pop for the first time in april original.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special Ticket Offer, Save $8!

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show is back this April! Save $8 off the door price for a limited time only!

Finding baby name inspiration in unusual places

Sometimes the greatest baby name ideas come from the most unexpected places, as these EB members show.

The case for inducing at 37 weeks

While we often think of pregnancy as a 40 week affair, experts agree that 37 weeks is actually “full term". So is there an argument for inducing all births at 37 weeks?

Does controlled crying really work?

Controlled-crying techniques may help some babies sleep through the night, but for many exhausted new parents, it's just a recipe for more tears all round.

How I taught my infant to use a toilet

As people become more aware of these benefits, I hope more parents will practice this method, so we can cut down on nappies and improve baby bonding.

'I thought it was impossible': Emily Symons pregnant at 45

Aussie actress Emily Symons has announced she is pregnant with her first baby.

Shallow water blackout kills fit, healthy dad

A little girl will grow up without her father after the fit and healthy 34-year-old passed away while doing something he had practised his whole life.

Afternoon naps may be bad for toddlers' sleep

You could be doing yourself a disservice by encouraging your toddler to have an afternoon nap, according to new research.

Best gifts for newborns, new mums and christenings

We've compiled a guide to some of the most popular presents for newborns and new mums, and for christenings and naming days.

Jaime King to be a mum again

Actress Jaime King is pregnant with her second child, giving 16-month-old James a sibling.

Nannies should receive government funding

The Abbott government should extend funding to nannies, and direct childcare payments to low and middle income families, a landmark study on childcare has found. 

Common skin irritations in newborns (and how to treat them)

As many as one in two newborn babies suffer from skin irritations in their first few weeks. So what are the most common rashes and irritations to look out for?

10 wall decals for the nursery or playroom

Wall decals are the answer to creating a beautiful nursery or children's space without lifting a paint brush, a spirit level or even a hammer.

Preschooler walks 2.4km home alone

Three-year-old Cain Trainor headed off home after his first day at a new preschool without telling anyone.

Video: Why mums get nothing done

In spite of being in an almost constant state of motion while looking after the kids and trying to keep things together at home, it can seem as though parents have managed to get nothing on the to-do list done by the end of the day.

The middle name game

The middle name is no longer an afterthought, and parents' inspiration comes from many places.

Have a baby or your money back - but there's a catch

A new IVF scheme offers couples the chance to fall pregnant and give birth - or get their money back. But there's more to it than you might think.

A rare glimpse inside the womb

A baby born still inside the amniotic sac gave US doctors a rare glimpse at life inside the womb.

Battered mum forced to write to her attacker ex in jail

Three years ago Jason Hughes viciously attacked his ex-partner. Now she has to write to him three times a year.

Woman pleads not guilty to ultrasound scam

A West Australian woman will fight allegations that she scammed expectant mums by selling them fake ultrasound pictures of babies.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Brain damaged mum receives compensation

A Sydney mother who suffered brain damage when she was hit by a car while pushing her newborn baby in a pram has reached a confidential out-of-court settlement with the driver's insurance company.

Indigenous midwives break down the barriers

A culturally sensitive midwifery service has gained the trust and respect of Aboriginal women.

The Katering Show's next big delivery

Most mums-to-be plan to take things easy and perhaps have a little break from work as the birth of their baby draws near. Not Kate McCartney.

53 creative pregnancy announcements

Announcing that you're expecting can be a time to express your creativity, sense of humour and imagination. Check out how other parents and parents-to-be have broken the news to friends and family.

Why I have mixed feelings about Cindy Crawford's leaked photo

Last week an un-retouched photo of model Cindy Crawford surfaced, showing the 48-year-old mother-of -two posing in underwear.

How to create a Peppa Pig pancake

Thought your toddler could not love pancakes any more than they already do? How about if the breakfast treat came in the shape of every two-year-old's favourite cartoon character?

'It's a little life, not a little loss': pregnancy after miscarriage

I thought I was never going to be able to have a successful pregnancy. I decided that I wasn't going to form an emotional attachment with this baby.

Bonds Baby Search 2015: what you need to know

February 18 marks the start of one of the most prolific annual baby competitions in Australia: the Bonds Baby Search. And this year is going to be more special than ever.

Who will manage your Facebook account when you're gone?

This is not something that people like to talk about, but Facebook has announced that it will grant users more control over what happens to their pages after they die.

Struggling mum of four wins $188 million

Mother of four Marie Holmes was financially struggling after quitting her jobs at Walmart and McDonald's in order to care for her children.

Pregnant obese women a 'relatively new problem', coroner hears

A first-time mother whose daughter died hours after her frightening birth insists she was never told of the risks of being obese and pregnant.

'I'm angry as hell': the story behind mum's passionate vaccination plea

She has labelled parents who do not vaccinate their children "misinformed imbeciles" - and for that, she makes no apologies.

IKEA hacks for the nursery and kids' rooms

Are you one of those that know the whole IKEA catalogue by heart? Love their stuff but want to personalise it? Here's some inspiration to help you realise the potential of IKEA furniture and fittings.

8 different kinds of tantrums

I never thought I’d say this, but for a brief moment last week, Kim Kardashian and I had something in common: both our kids had public tantrums.

Polycystic ovary syndrome: symptoms, treatment and your fertility

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the most common female hormonal condition, affecting roughly one in 12 Australian women.

What's the best position for giving birth?

If doing it on your back is out, what's the best position for labour and birth?

Wife forgives snake catcher husband for car surprise

With Valentine's Day coming up, Nat Gilbert could be forgiven for thinking her husband might be planning a surprise for her.

Kids who meet milestones at their own pace

We usually only hear the success stories: tales of the two-year-old who’s talking, running and completely toilet trained. But other stories need to be told too.

Ruby shines as Bonds Baby

Sarah Kiss has a word of advice for proud mums and dads who are keen to enter their babies in this year's Bonds Baby Search Competition - just have fun.

Why dads should go to sleep school

If your family needs to go to sleep school, go with them. You are part of that family and you are part of the solution.

36 baby names inspired by food and drinks

A French court may have ruled out Nutella as a baby name, but that doesn't have to stop you from taking inspiration from the supermarket (or bottle shop). See what parents in the US have chosen for their delicious little ones.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Win a KitchenAid Mixer

Let's celebrate 300,000 fans on Facebook

To celebrate, and to thank our amazing fans, we?re giving away a KitchenAid Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.