Healthy eating while pregnant
what have you felt like eating lately?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 ro3008

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:18 AM

ha this post makes me laugh!

Toasted cheese and tomato sandwiches with hummus anyone?? i cant wait for lunch today

struggling with dinner as queasiness starts mid arvo-to evening, (that and being really tired)

Oh and mineral water, a bottle at night. Cant get enough

Breakfast i have porridge (with soy) with banana or rhubarb and then morning tea a piece of fruit or vege sticks with hummus or cream cheese or a yogurt.

soy chai lattes are back on my radar

then in the arvo i want chips chips chips

Yesterday at the petrol pump i gagged on the fumes and so DH now has ANOTHER chore!
BTW i just asked him to spray his aftershave outside as its to strong, yesterday at the doctors office i had to leave the waiting room as someone on the other side of the room was chewing gum and the smell was making me queasy. i could go to work as a sniffer dog!

#27 kpingitquiet

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:36 AM

edited.. sorry, didn't see this was a due date group! eep!

Edited by kpingitquiet, 30 November 2011 - 06:36 AM.

#28 Lucy30

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:08 PM

I'm traveling at the moment and trying to eat healthily but its really hard.  I'm trying to avoid salads (when eating out) and really I could murder a maccas (I've not eaten maccas in 11 years).  My theory is that I feel really hungover every day - very queasy and so tired and fast food is the best hangover cure so maybe that is why people crave it a lot.  Fruit is also on my list of things I want to eat and I reckon that is because I'm thirsty all the time and fruit is very refreshing.  I'm actually feeling a lot better today but it always seems to be after eating a big meal that the ms kicks in.  After my mc 2 months ago, I'm just grateful to be going through it at all!

#29 HolyCannoli

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:00 AM

Thanks everyone! This makes me feel normal!  I have been craving salt like crazy.  Salt and vinegar chips are the bomb at the moment and I've been wanting fish and chips (with a safe fish) - well mainly the chips.  This is stuff I normally avoid, but the cravings are insane.  I haven't had any morning sickness yet and no aversion to food what so ever.  

I'm finding it tricky at work.  We often have work meetings and they order sushi or gourmet little rolls which have soft cheeses, or some sort of cold meat or lettuce - which I don't know if it's been washed properly or recently. Someone is going to figure it out soon for sure..

#30 JuliaD

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:38 AM

Absolutely craving salty foods, and when I'm feeling queasy it is the only thing I can stomach!
Also really loving cheese!

Totally gone off coffee, can't stand the smell of yoghurt, but really good with all other dairy.
Coming up to christmas, everyone seems to be serving rich desserts, which really are not sitting well with me.
Before being pg was a total sweet tooth and major chocaholic, so not to eat dessert is kind of weird.

#31 pruehp

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:30 AM

My dirty little secret is the maccas cheeseburger and coke on the way home from the obstetrician original.gif

#32 lulu-k

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:52 PM

This is great. I'm not the only one.
Leading up to the pregnancy (we were TTC for 5 months) I enforced an organic only high veg and lean protein order over myself and my long suffering husband.
Pretty much all I have eaten for the last two weeks (I'm 7.5 wks) is toast with vegemite and butter (and I'm not stingy with the butter IYKWIM), hot chips with extra chicken salt or fish with plain or fried rice. Not the most colourful of plates. I do get in a mango with natural yoghurt if I'm having a good day.
I've also taken to drinking soda or sparkling water as flat water makes me  sick.gif
Not an ideal diet but I see I'm not alone. Cheers to that!

#33 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

Another eating maccas here....
Breaky wraps or chicken burgers...

I have morning sickness, and am finding it really hard to cook, and handle food and clean up.

Dh is away a lot at the moment...
I'm counting the days as I'm only 10 weeks so prob a few more weeks of feeling average and eating rubbish.

#34 zombiequeen

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

Lulu k, we are the same - well except we have eaten organically since we were children... I have been vegetarian for four years, I swore when I was pregnant I would eat only free range organic meat. One month before ttc I switched to organic decaf, DH stopped drinking three months before ttc (I don't drink). When I took my first preg test it was negative and I had a double shot coffee for lunch and a Greek salad with extra feta! (turns out I was pregnant - ha!). First thing I felt like eating was a zinger burger, which I eventually had along with all the trimmings. A week later driving home from a party where there was NO FOOD I bought myself a happy meal - ate half of the burger before realising they're not what I remembered them as. My junk cravings are waning thank god. While I still feel like salty stuff, I amContent with avo on toast with lots of salt. I'm also liking crumpets with honey. :-) after 10 weeks in beginning to get back to my normal healthy self most of the time. Fruit salad, plain yoghurt, muesli, salads for lunch etc. Oh and I highly recommend Carmen's muesli bars, full of good stuff!

#35 lulu-k

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

Zombie Queen: That's me, I too had a KFC chicken burger the other day and large chips with extra chicken salt. I ordered it without lettuce coz I was worried - do you think that is going overboard?

I put on weight while TTC as I was eating so well but just eating way too much of everything. Just because its organic ice cream doesn't mean its sugar and fat free! At least now I can't eat very much as I get full so quickly. Today I woke up and made the decision to stop eating crap as nothing makes me feel better anyway so I may as well stop eating chips.
So today I rediscovered weet bix (never ever eat cereal but felt like this) chopped carrots with sliced parmesan (similar effect to eating crisps), yoghurt, a sliced up apple (felt like a kid but it was yum) and a chicken and salad sandwich... I actually feel so much better tonight and less neauseous than I have for days.
One thing I am drinking daily is fresh oj. Must need Vitamin C as I rarely drink juice but could drink litres of it at the moment.

#36 SaraRz

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

I just wish I could stomach SOMETHING! My nausea has been so bad, the only thing I manage to keep in is a boiled egg in the morning, with a couple of tablespoons of Milo cereal, and then after 12-noon the queasiness starts to kick in. Evening and night have me humped over the loo, gagging and throwing up everything! The only thing I can keep down, somewhat, is a plain boiled potato with salt.

I've actually lost weight, and I'm 10 weeks. I don't remember it being this bad with DD four years ago. I have no interest in any food item whatsoever. sad.gif

I can't wait to be able to start eating again!

#37 Cacti

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:46 PM

I am now back to eating fruit! Nutrients, woohoo.

Hot chips is still the best thing though.

#38 albe

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:22 PM

I am approaching 12 weeks and I have been eating like a hungover person for at least 6 weeks! Anything potato based (especially hot chips), kebabs, pies and oporto are my favourites! oh and SALT SALT SALT!!

I haven't told work yet but I swear they must have noticed something weird when I went from eating salads for lunch to a pie and wedges! haha.

I'm not that worried about the amount of calories I'm consuming as I have not suffered any morning sickness at all and so am managing to still exercise fairly intensely most days.

The only thing I'm a little worried about is my calcium intake. I've totally gone off dairy (previously used to get through a 1L tub of yogurt per week plus a milo most days). Anyway, I'm taking the blackmore supplement so hopefully that will get me through until my aversion stops.

#39 stephkp

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

I'm so glad I found this topic! This is my first pregnancy and I'm amazed at how it has changed my lifestyle already! In my pre-pregnancy life I was very healthy and ate very balanced meals. Now the thought of veges/salad makes me green. Hot drinks also make me unwell, whereas I drank a lot of herbal tea and ovaltine before.  I'm loving carbs, carbs and more carbs. If food is fried, then even better! I had KFC for the first time in years yesterday. A friend was in hysterics the other day when she caught me sneakily eating a cinnamon donut - something she's never seen me do before.

Eating like this is a fun novelty .. but I am looking forward to the day when I can have my plate of veges again!  original.gif

#40 Pincushion

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:57 AM

I finally went back to healthy eating yesterday - lots of fresh fruit and veg, low fat rice crackers, organic meats etc. Time to atone for the first tri maccas sins I'm afraid!!! Hahaha! Hope all of you feel better and that your MS disappears soon too original.gif

#41 buffyinsydney

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

It's just gone 12 weeks and I thought I would be feeling better by now but evenings are still struggle.  All I can seem to do is eat carbs with a few veggies and a little bit of protein and hope I can keep it down sad.gif

I miss salads

#42 ceska21

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

I had to constantly eat in the between week 10-13 so it was then that i thought i'd best keep it clean.  It was things like hummus, crackers, fruit & nuts, yoghurt etc.  Once i passed the nausea stage (@ 13w) eating settled & i lost my appetite and began grazing as well as halving my meals.  If I kept my food clean, I'd not get indigestion.  The one time I caved & had fish & chips with hubby, i woke up the next morning with indigestion in the back of my throat WTF loll!!! Never again fried food at night!!  I went down the need pasta path, but kept adding vegies and a protein, pizza was my junk food if I needed it.

At the moment I'm past 21wks & I'm back to loving food, the best parts are protein based salads with nuts, and if I feel like sweet, I generally make it.  I've just baked a key lime pie with a meringue top - i know how little sugar is in this, so its just the guilt for condensed milk!

As it gets colder, i'm wanting heartier food, so its soup time, with turkish bread. Lentils, or Chicken & Sweet Corn with vermicelli noodles, maybe pumpkin or sweet potato... I don't mind a curry, given I make my own paste's too, you can control the heat which is handy... Everyone's different so I've found do what's best for you.

The only craving I've had which has recently slowed down is a strawberry milkshake! damn, i'm a soy drinker lolll! i'm not enjoying soy at all, except in my 3/4 latte.  
The only aversion to food I've had is lamb - I cannot handle the smell - which is normal given I don't eat lamb normally!

Water is soooo essential, I need 1-2 liters a day oh & one coffee!!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.