Induction for Pre Eclampsia

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hazely

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

Hi all. Just after some advice/ others experiences regards being induced for pre eclampsia.

A little of my story:
As of 36 weeks my BP has decided not to play ball. I rang the hospital last Monday to explain my symptoms of headaches (quite severe at times) with some visual disturbances, bad swelling in my ankles, hands and some to my face and generally feeling unwell. They got me to head in and found my BP was elevated around 145/93 (at worst) and I had a trace of protein in my wee. They agreed the swelling was bad but this is not always an indicator of PE. Had some urgent bloods which came back fine and they sent me home with a follow up with my Ob the next day. I saw my Ob the next day and BP was ok... she ordered some more bloods for the next week and told me to go back to hospital at the end of the week if the headaches were still happening.
On Friday I wasnt feeling right, and the headaches hadnt stopped. My legs and hands were still swollen so I headed back to the hospital for another BP check as instructed. This time my BP was worse (160/110 at worst) and never really went below 140/100 whilst in the examination room. On my CTG bub was quite sleepy and I needed sandwhiches and lemonade and  position change to stir bub up. I was admitted for monitoring of BP. Once admitted I was given strong pain killers for my headache and this dropped my BP dramatically to 108/60 however after this it still slowly crept back up. It took two days of bed rest for my BP to come down to an acceptable level (130/80ish). Whilst in hospital there was no protein in my urine at all, however I was told you dont need all the symptoms of pre eclampsia to be diagnosed with it. I was sent home after two nights in hospital with a follow up with my OB, bloods whilst in hospital came back ok).
After having bloods on Monday I went back to my OB. She took my BP and it was back up to 135/95. My blood tests had also slowly been deteriorating (uric acid increasing but not yet elevated). So I am now booked in to have an induction at 39 +2 given I am still symptomatic (still having headaches although not as bad... but taking regular pain relief). OB says given they know how high my BP can get its safer to induce. I really really really didnt want to be induced but I want to do whats safest for my baby. I have read so many horrific stories about the painful labour associated with induction. I was hoping for a natural birth with maybe only gas for pain relief but its sounding less likely. The OB will try two lots of gel... then try to break my waters... then try a catheter insertion. I'm hoping to avoid the drip... but this is first time bub and bub is no where near engaged (-4 at last apt). Anyway I guess I'm just after other peoples experiences with this? Should I try and hold off the induction and just ask to be monitored more closely. I have another CTG, bloods and BP check booked in at the hospital on Friday... if that doesnt go well my OB says they may have to induce then.

Sorry about the long story... I was hoping to avoid intervention as much as possible. Any thoughts or experiences would be great. TIA.

#2 fairymagic

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:46 PM

Personally I would be listening to your OB. Sounds like she has sat on you for a little while to see if everything was at least stable and not worsening but with your bloods beginning to show signs of pre-eclampsia, she is obviously concerned. She may suggest an epidural in labour too if your BP is high - your BP will be elevated when experiencing pain so if it starts high, it may go higher once you get into established labour. An epidural can be an effective way to try and keep BP at a reasonable level whilst allowing you to labour.

Im not suggesting she will do this however and you can and should definitely sit down and chat things over with her so you know what she is planning on doing etc with your induction. With pre-eclampsia, it can deteriorate rapidly into full blown eclampsia which may cause seizures, strokes among other things. She is trying to get baby delivered before you develop this condition so that you and baby are healthy - pre-eclampsia tends to resolve fairly quickly once baby is born thereby minimising risks to you of seizures etc. An epidural is one way to keep BP lowered during labour.

Good luck with your impending labour and birth.

#3 Molokai

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:58 PM

Hi OP, I have no experience or advice to give regarding your situation. All I can do is sympathise. As frustrating as it is to have things not go to plan, I would do as PP suggested and put my faith in the OB. It sounds like she's not making rash decisions, but doing what's best. At the end of the day you just want bubs here safely, so if the birth plan has to be amended (or completely thrown out the window), try not to let it get you down. Healthy baby and mum are the goals. Good luck with everything.

#4 Thursday's Child

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:03 PM

Hi,

I was induced with DD at 39+ weeks because of preeclampia.  She was nowhere near engaged either.  

I had two lots of gel, then really mild contractions for that night (I stayed in hospital).  The next morning they broke my waters and then put the drip in.  I had pethidine for pain relief.  I didn't have an epidural.  DD was monitored the whole time and was born within 6 hours!  

I would be going with what your OB recommends.  Really at the end of the day you want your bub to be born well and that's what matters most.  

Being induced is the only experience I have, I don't have anything to compare it to as I only have one child (so far).  So I can't say that it was more painful than not being induced.  But it was certainly the right thing in my situation.  And DD was born healthy and all was good. original.gif

#5 hazely

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

Thanks ladies. The funny thing is... I thought I didnt have a birth plan and was happy to just 'go with the flow' but as things progress I think I actually do have a birth plan in my head its just not written down as such.
I find your comments reassuring... so thank you. As you say I think I need to have a bit more of a chat with my OB about her plans for me for induction. original.gif

#6 Guest_FuzzyMum_*

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:17 PM

Hi OP, sounds very much like myself. Started out with low BP with my first then on the day I was induced which was at the beginning of my 39th week with my DD had a BP of 160/110. I had a migraine which didn't stop for at least 24hrs, pressure on my chest and was vomiting. My doctor put me straight into a dark room until my DH arrived to take me to hospital and I was induced. While for me I ended up having a CS, this was due to my DD being distressed. It won't automatically end up in a CS. Just depends on how you go. With health issues like preeclampsia, considering what can happen, I'd go with what the OB says.

With my second, no preeclampsia and I went naturally however still ended up having a CS. I figured that it's me. That I am just not able to deliver without complications.

#7 PinkSurvivor

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

Hey OP.....

I went thorugh the same thing, well sort of.

My BP and uric acid went high at 30 weeks with DS1 so I spend a couple weeks in hospital but then my BP went down and I ended up making it to 38 weeks.

With DS2 my BP and uric acid (I have never had protien with either pregnancy) went up at 36 weeks. Swelling was so bad along with toxic uric acid levels and high BP. I was induced at 38 weeks again.

I was induced with 3 sets of gels each pregnancy. After the gels my water was broken once labour established. Each labour after labour established ( a day or two of mild 7 min contractions) was less than 2 hours with no drip. Very fast! They say PE can make for quicker labours.

I only had gels and gas, and my waters broken and I had a very unfavourable cervix so they said the gels wouldn't work and I would need the drip (Well I didn't lol). So I figure thats a pretty low intervention considering what can happen.

I would listen to your OB, as they have you and your baby's best interest at heart.  A woman can die and so can the baby if left to progress too long. Its not worth the risk IMO. I am just thankful I got the option of induction because they wanted to do a c-section but they let me try induction first with CONSTANT monitoring of bub on CTG.

Good luck OP. I hope all goes well and you get the birth closest to your birthplan. I have been in the same position so I can understand how you're feeling! bbighug.gif

#8 Leee

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:29 AM

I think you need to be guided by your Ob. PE is very dangerous especially with your really high BP. It is common to have protein in your urine at least 1 x + however with your headaches and visual disturbances it does sound like PE. The only way to cure is management and plan for delivery, BP usually stabilises once placenta is out. They may want you to have an epidural in labour mainly due to if you decrease the pain and anxiety therefore you decrease BP and respiration rate. Good luck, if you have any questions make sure you ask the midwife or Ob why they suggest something, they should be able to give you the rationale behind it.

#9 hazely

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:34 AM

Thanks again for the responses ladies. I have a check up tomorrow at the hospital. OB says I may go home with my baby in my arms depending on how the results of my bloods and BP go. I've had a long think about things and like I said I'm happy to do whatever is needed as long as my baby is healthy and happy. We shall see... biggrin.gif

#10 *Fluttergirls*

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

Hi Hazely, even though you seem to have it sorted now, I just thought I'd share my experience with you original.gif

I have been induced twice due to Preeclampsia, both times around 38 weeks. I have what my doctor termed 'Sudden Onset Severe' and had no symptoms (visual disturbances, unusual swelling etc) I was aware of, but during a routine check my BP had skyrocketed and Protein +++. In both cases the gels were deemed unnecessary, and I was induced with ARM and the drip.  

With my first DD, my 'birth plan' included asking my support people (my DH was deployed so I had lots of potential support people lined up lol) to try and talk me out of an epidural if I asked for one. As soon as I found out I was being induced, I told them to ignore that request because I had read so many things about how induction is more painful etc and you are more likely to need pain relief. I no longer believe that is true and I wish I hadn't been led to believe it. I think there is no way of predicting how painful a labour is going to be, or of knowing if it would have been less painful if it started a different way. I think that when I expected I would need an epi because of the induction, that became a self-fulfulling prophecy. Sure enough, I begged for an epidural about 4 hours in, my labour stalled, the epidural made me feel horrid and sick, and because I couldn't push properly my DD was pulled out with forceps and ventouse 4 hours later. It wasn't by any means a traumatic experience, but I was determined to have a different mindset the second time round.

With DD2 I was again induced in the same way - with ARM and the drip. But I was not scared about the fact that it was an induced rather than natural labour. I had read Juju Sundin's Birth Skills book, hired a Doula, and this time I got my DH back from overseas just in time. My instructions to my support people this time were that if I asked for an epi, that they were to remind me of it's ill effects - that my baby might get stuck, that I'd feel like crap, that labour might last longer, that I wouldn't feel my baby being born etc. I even wrote these things down on cards to remind myself. Labour progressed almost exactly the same as with DD1, except that I stayed moving around, chanted my affirmations, and held off using the bath for pain relief until I really really really needed something. 4 hours in I was in exactly the same position as with DD1 - only 4cm dilated, nearing the limit of my pain threshold. But instead of an epi I asked for the bath to be run, and I got on my hands and knees on the floor with a beanbag for support. I didn't end up using the bath as there was a delay in running it (Doula was called away and I wouldn't let DH go lol), and then only an hour later, when I thought I just might not be able to handle it anymore and so asked for the bath again, I realised I was in fact pushing! 5 minutes later DD2 was born original.gif

So although I cannot compare to a labour that begins naturally, my advice to you is not to get any ideas or fears based on the widespread expectation that induction will lead to further intervention. I personally think the fear and expectation of this happening plays a big part, and it is unnecessary. I have had two full inductions, and two very different experiences and I think my mindset played a big part in how my labours went.

Good luck for your appointment tomorrow, and I hope that whenever or however you birth your little one it is a wonderous experience for you and you are both healthy original.gif

#11 Bigmum

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

I have a close friend who was in a coma for 3 weeks for ignoring her ob's wishes. She didn't understand how important pe was, and went on a trip to Adelaide for 8 hours and the day they got home got taken to hospital that night with severe pe. Her baby was 34 weeks.

Her second child was 32 weeks gestation.

Another friend had both her boys at 30/31 weeks due to sudden skyrocketing bp- 200/230 etc!!

But either way I believe it is safer to follow your ob's advice.

They recommend these things for reasons and IMO I think yours is reason enough. Your bub will be more than safe gestation wise to be born now and you never know how favorable you might become with just a bit of gel or arm.

#12 Noah's mum

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:47 PM

I hope your appt goes great tomorrow I thought ild share my story I was induced with PE with DS at 38 weeks after putting on over 30kgs high blood pressure swelling allover and protein in urine my dr admitted me straight away..i was no where near ready wasnt at all engaged the dr put the gel in contractions started 3ish hrs after made it through the night breathing they gave me the drip at 11am they broke my waters and I asked for an epi as had no sleep got one 45 mins later went to sleep woke up had some lunch went back to sleep and got woken up at 5 to start pushing after 1.43 mins of pushing DS was born I lost 17kgs two days after his birth...so I really hope everything goes well for you I just went with the flow for labour and came out the other end very happy with the result even though I had an epi I would have it again (although I want to try calmbirth techniques this time) but I know it's there if needed

Good luck xx

#13 Molokai

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

OP, any news?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Twin brothers have become dads on the same day ? with their partners giving birth in the same hospital, and even the same birthing pool.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.