Strangest things you've ever seen

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 *LiMa*

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

Around half an hour ago, DH, DD and I were in the car, taking DD to dancing.  As we were about to pull out of the carpark a guy on his bike came past, followed by 2 of his mates - which is perfectly normal right?

Except for the fact that they were these guys, who it turns out are riding from Adelaide to Melbourne dressed as the Tortoise and the Hare (the 3rd guy was dressed as a referee)

Obviously they are doing it for a good cause, and we have since donated on their website, but we couldn't stop laughing.  Definitely not something you see everyday!

#2 LambChop

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

Brilliant original.gif  One of those cool life moments original.gif

#3 Lisy-lis

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:34 PM

I saw about thirty rollerblading Elvis men once in Melbourne ....  and a toy rabbit tied to a cross with tinsel in a Japanese department store at Easter.

ETA  -  I had to use Elvis men because I can't pluralise Elvis today -  Some people get the flu, I have the dumb.

Edited by Lisy-lis, 03 November 2011 - 04:35 PM.

#4 ChickenNuggets

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:36 PM

This one just from today - a FB friend came home to this:

#5 Romeo Void

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

We caught a train a few months ago and our carriage was filled with about 50 grey haired older ladies, all wearing badges that said 'Shirely'.  They seemed to be having a hoot, laughing. talking loudly and generally having a ball so I asked on of them what the badge meant. They were ALL called Shirley LOL.  Once a month the Shirley club heads out for a boozy lunch.  They looked like they were having so much fun it made me want to be a Shirley LOL.

#6 JustBeige

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

LOL at the Tortoise and The Hare.  Those ears would cause serious wind drag.

OMG at the trampoline on the house. huh.gif

#7 Pretz

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:49 PM

Early in the afternoon my husband and I were sighteeing. On the side of the street was  a parked Taxi.
The driver got out, lifted a heavily drunk woman (we assumed that she was drunk) out of the back of the cab and carried her over his shoulder like a sack of flour. Her dress lifted up in a very unfortunate manner... and he carried her to an apartment building.  Very weird.

I used to be an ESL teacher in Japan. I was teaching on the 5th floor when my student started acting strangely. He stood up and tried to open the window to get out. He wouldn't respond when I asked him if he was ok. He then started to ramble, left the room and stumbled past the other class rooms. I tried to get him back to no avail. My boss made no effort to help: he was a real tool.  
The student managed to get into the elevator with me close behind, and when we got the ground floor he exited the building. This may not sound so bad, but our school was on the main intersection in Shinjuku and Kousho kaido is extremely busy.  The pedestrian light was against him, but he was so agitated and incoherant that he tried to step out in front of the oncoming traffic. Luckily I managed to pull him back, but it was a bit frightening.  
I managed to get him back into the office and asked the Japanese staff to call an ambulance or a  DR. They were so useless. They didn't try and help when we passed them earlier, and all they did was shove him in a taxi with his home address. The next time I had to teach him, it was as if nothing had happpened.

At another school I helped at, one of the students who was a man in his 50's or 60's would wear all pink. Toda had a fondness for pink Lycra shorts. He even wore pink clips in his hair.  The most unusual rthing he did was remove his shoes in class, and place them under the teacher's chair.

A man with 2 meer cats on leads. very bizarre, but he seemed to love the attention.

A lady was walking her pet ferret on a lead, and it must've gotten a fright so it ran up her skirt. Oh so funny.

By the way, these all happened in Japan....

#8 CountryFeral

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

On grand final day 1993 (yes I remember the day!) my sister, BIL and I were out driving in the countryside, miles from anywhere, miles from human habitation, hadn't seen another car for hours, surrounded by paddocks, wildflowers, gentle sunshine.....

when we were passed by a teenage boy, shoeless, with an intense look in his eye riding bareback absolutely flat out - FLAT OUT - like the hounds of hell were after him - on a old grey donkey.

#9 Abbygirl

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:53 PM

Oh I love the Shirley club!!!

#10 Jupiter123

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:56 PM

I saw a clown (in full clown get up, makeup big shoes the works) hop off a ride on lawn mower and start picking up rubbish that was on the medium strip of a busy road.

#11 **Xena**

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:59 PM

These are 2 from a friend who works at McDonalds.

One- a car load of guys pulls up. They are on a bucks night and they are all completely naked. They order an apple pie each laughing2.gif

Two- 2 old ladies come in, in full formal wear ie ball dresses, gloves the wrks. They order Big Mac meals each and then make up their table with a linen table cloth, crockery and silverware and proceed to sit down together and eat like they are high dining.

#12 knittingkitten

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:01 PM

Martin Place, sydney- suits on their way to work.

And a blow up, walk through colon.

And you can hire it- 50th perhaps?!?!?!

#13 Brownbear

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:04 PM

A friend was driving along a country road at night when he suddenly had to swerve to avoid a naked man doing the deed (from behind) with someone in a panda suit.

#14 Pretz

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:13 PM

If you're in Tokyo and want to freak out your kids try the Parasite museum;
[url="http://kiseichu.org/....aspx"]Parasite museum.[/url

My husband and I went there and it really makes your skin crawl. It's free too!

#15 GenWhy

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:59 PM

Have done many roatrips from Perth to Broome, Kununurra and even the Gold Coast. On every trip I see someone looking like skin and bones riding a bicycle. On the way back to Perth going across the nullarbor I saw a guy in thongs pushing a wheelbarrow.

#16 Mamacass2

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

That is so cool OP.

Last week I was driving home from picking DS up from kinder, I saw a young couple (about 16) walking along holding hands and I thought how sweet but what is she wearing, from a distance it appeared to be skin coloured leggings but when I got closer I saw that she had the whole back part of the skirt she was wearing tucked up under her bag and she either had no undies on or a thong becuase I could see everything. LOL. I cannot believe she could not feel the wind on her bottom! Being the good samaritan I am I stopped and told her. She was very thankful. I don't know how long they had been walking but they were walking down a main busy road around here so I think many people may have been flashed!!!!!!!!!

#17 NannyPlum

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

This was yesterday.

I was driving down the hwy grooving and singing my heart out when I get overtaken by a cop car - full of old ladies with white permed hair... I had to do a double take and a head count lol.

They were probably apart of the Shirley club! biggrin.gif

#18 Gerbra Girl

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:29 PM

Is it just me or is anyone else wondering how and why the trampoline was on the roof?

#19 IsolaBella

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:33 PM

I know my niece gave some hikers a double take while hiking in the Alps in Switzerland.... little miss 2.75yo was dressed as a cow with a bell around her neck going moo.

She entertained and bemused many tourists. The photos were very funny.

#20 Bunsen the feral

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (LoquaciousSnuffbox @ 03/11/2011, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's also a Hazel club, like the Shirley one.

Any idea where they are, MIL is Hazel and I can totally see her joining!

#21 Kya

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (Gerbra Girl @ 03/11/2011, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it just me or is anyone else wondering how and why the trampoline was on the roof?

There has to be a very good story behind that picture!

DH and I were in Leicester Square in London and the police were shutting down the streets as a protest march was just about to come through. Minutes before the protestors came down the street about 50 people on bikes dressed as Sherlock Holmes came peddling through. It was hilarious. We asked the closest bobby want that was all about and he replied "I am as clueless as you mam." Very random and funny sight.

Edited by Kya, 03 November 2011 - 07:46 PM.

#22 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

We had a garden shed and it wasn't bolted down properly. We come home one day and the shed wasn't there. All of the stuff was stacked around the walls of where the shed had been but no shed. blink.gif

Eventually we found it smashed to bits in the paddock behind our house. It must have been caught in a freak gust of wind and been lifted in the air, then smashed down. That would have been cool to watch.

#23 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:00 PM

The scooby doo mystery machine parked in the shopping centre carpark. I half expected scooby doo and shaggy to come running out, it was totally realistic.

#24 Chchgirl

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:04 PM

A few years ago, driving away from a pet warehouse in Wetherill park in Sydney, what do I see but a guy dressed as a Storm Trooper riding a pushbike! it was late afternoon and I would assume he's on his way to a dress up party..we still laugh about it!

#25 ~mimo~

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (Chchgirl @ 03/11/2011, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A few years ago, driving away from a pet warehouse in Wetherill park in Sydney, what do I see but a guy dressed as a Storm Trooper riding a pushbike! it was late afternoon and I would assume he's on his way to a dress up party..we still laugh about it!

I remember seeing him on tv. Was a charity thing I think.

ETA: He was walking, not riding. Must have been a dress up party. wink.gif http://gizmodo.com/5821627/a-stormtrooper-...ia-for-charity/

Edited by ~mimo~, 03 November 2011 - 08:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Pete Evans says a paleo diet can prevent autism. He's wrong

Pete Evans is not a paediatrician or even a nutritionist or dietitian. So why should we believe his extreme views and remove food groups from our children's diets over the advice from those more qualified?

Let's get back to commonsense parenting

Forget the new 'Lawnmower' parenting trend; try using plain old-fashioned commonsense instead.

Woman sues after having a mixed-race baby

A US woman is suing a sperm bank after it sent her vials from African-American man, instead of the white donor she had selected.

Bonding ideas dad will love

Dad may not say it, but he could be feeling lost, confused and seriously left out. However, there are lots of things new fathers can do to be more included in the excitement of pregnancy and new parenthood.

The house that hope built for childhood cancer

Baby Laelani Baker was diagnosed with cancer before she was even born. Her heartbreaking story is just one of the reasons the Build for a Cure project is raising money for vital research into childhood cancer.

Does stay-at-home parenting get better?

Parenting doesn’t ever get easier; the challenges just change. But the challenges of caring for young children definitely lessens as they get older.

Inquest into the short and tragic life of Chloe Valentine

As the first phase of an inquest into the death of Chloe Valentine drew to a close, there was no doubt Chloe's life was marred by appalling neglect.

When mothers kill

The act of killing one's child is unthinkable for most, and a mother who kills her offspring has a special power to inspire shock and revulsion.

6 beauty tips for tired mums

For those of us with young children, eight hours sleep is a distant memory. And while we can’t do much to secure more shut-eye, there are some ways to fake it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Awkward grandparents

When Grandma and Grandpa pose for a snap with the kids, things can get very weird, very quickly.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.