158 replies to this topic

#1 GeraniumQueen

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

New thread time original.gif

Link to last thread

#2 dolcengabbana

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

GOLD

Can't wait have booked with my best girl friend a 10 night stay in late March/April 2012

#3 pinkpineapple

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

Silver

Only 1.5weeks til I go!!!!

#4 naturalgoodness

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

Bronze

Waiting until February comes around for ours original.gif

#5 Lexy2

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:19 PM

DH and I got back from Bali today after a 10 night holiday.  We both absolutely loved the place, it was much better than we imagined.

Will pop back tomorrow with places we visited original.gif

#6 bron23

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:41 PM

Hey girls Im back again wink.gif Bali is slightly addictive. We arent going back next year but we will be there in 2013 for my 30th so of course we are already checking out accomodation.

Can someone suggest anywhere that is a bit nicer than the general Bali hotels but still family friendly. Kids will be almost 4 and 5 and a half. Please no villas. We walked into our villa in Seminyak being broken into in April and lost a lot of money when we didnt want to stay there afterwards even though the doors were smashed in on the bedrooms and the lock on the entrance to the villa was broken too.

I cant remember names from the last thread but if anyone is looking for somewhere to stay in Kuta (well this is South Kuta) we stayed at Harris Riverview. We had both a one bedroom and a two bedroom apartment there. It was clean (although if you have an aversion to orange then maybe give it a miss), quiet (even though it only cost $2 to go by taxi to Kuta square), has a nice pool (I think there were about 3 but we mainly stuck to the one), make a mean poolside cocktail and the staff were amazing. Our daughter got very sick in Bali and they were happy to come up to our room 6 times in one night to change the bedding and mop the floors. She ended up in ICU at BIMC (which is also less than $5 by taxi) and they asked about her by name each day, made a big deal over our other daughter coming out and painting her nails and taking her to meet the hotel mascot etc. Agoda have some fantastic prices for the 2 bedroom apartments as low as $89 per night or $115 including breakfast. http://www.agoda.com/asia/indonesia/bali/h...rview_kuta.html

#7 pinkpineapple

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:04 AM

This time next week we'll be at the airport!!!

Started to get a bit hesitant about traveling alone with a toddler but hopefully just pretravel jitters. Excited too.

Haven't booked any tours etc. Figured I'd do that once there. Would love to to rhino pack at Safari park. Anyone done it? Says under 3 free, would she still get to do everything with me?

#8 orangepeanut

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

Got back this morning!!! Went with DH, DD11, DS20mth and my mum. Stayed in a 3 bed villa, in Legian. This was my 3rd trip but first with the kiddies.
Ill come back and write more later, as Im buggered!!!
Two words of advice, if your traveling with an under 2yo, get them a seat, its soo worth it! We didnt do it and it was very difficult. Also, we did stop overs both ways, Darwin the Singapore. I will never do this again!! It makes the trip too long, esp with kids. I will hang the expence next time, but you live and learn!!
All in all though we had a ball!! Will be back!

#9 Glr-r

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:28 PM

bron23 where do you want to stay? We stayed at Kartika plaza which was gorgeous but this time we are going to Holiday Inn. Padma is nice too, you get what you pay for i think, those types of places are double the $$ of harris resort.

#10 pinkpineapple

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:59 PM

I'm feeling so unorganised and less then a week (a very busy week) to get everything done. eek

Were staying at the All Seasons. Hope it's ok.

#11 Lexy2

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:59 AM

Dh and i just got home from Bali last week and are going to go back with the kids in May next year.

Can you recommend a family friendly hotel to stay at?  Preferably not costing the earth,as we'll be out during the day ?

#12 green apples

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

Hi, I have just returned from 10 nights in Bali, staying at the Hyatt in Sanur with Dh and 3 kids. Awesome, loved it. Sanur was nice and quiet, perfect for us. We didnt go to Kuta at all. The Safari park was absolutely amazing and the kids had the most awesome time ever.

#13 pinkpineapple

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:21 PM

I leave in the morning!!!! YAY!!

Excited but scared at the same time.

Can't wait to do the safari park. Want to do the rhino pack :-)

See you all on my return (or while there)

#14 Alina0210

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:05 AM

Hi everyone.... We just got back from Bali. I went with my 15mth old and a good friend of mine for my best friends wedding. It was my very first trip to Bali and we had a great time. We found a nice taxi driver and used him for our whole trip. We stayed at Nusa Dua Hotel beach and Spa...was nice but very $$ luckily I only paid for 2 nights as my best friend paid the rest as we were looking after thier 2 kids at night time for them. Oh and Barack Obama was staying at our hotel....

Now I really want to organise another holiday and take the whole family....

Hi everyone.... We just got back from Bali. I went with my 15mth old and a good friend of mine for my best friends wedding. It was my very first trip to Bali and we had a great time. We found a nice taxi driver and used him for our whole trip. We stayed at Nusa Dua Hotel beach and Spa...was nice but very $$ luckily I only paid for 2 nights as my best friend paid the rest as we were looking after thier 2 kids at night time for them. Oh and Barack Obama was staying at our hotel....

Now I really want to organise another holiday and take the whole family....

#15 libbylu

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:35 PM

I'm a Bali virgin and after some advice.
I am leaving for Bali on Friday with some girlfriends. We have our accommodation booked but a bit stumped about some of the practicalities.....
Currency - what to take? Rupiah's, US dollars and Aus dollars and when will we need what?
I actually already have some US dollars, but is it cheaper to get Rupiah's here, or take Aus dollars and exchange them over there?
Also, we are staying in a villa, so thinking to get some duty free spirits to help us enjoy our stay.  Again, better to buy in Australia or in the airport in Bali?
Thanks for your help.

#16 shannon31

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

libbylou I am traveling to Bali for the first time next year and I have found www.tripadvisor.com to be really helpful. If you go to "more" at the top then select "travel forum" then :Indonesia" then "Bali" there is heaps of info about absolutely everything and mainly from people that have been to Bali many times. The EB Bali thread is a bit quiet at the moment, last question I posted no one replied  sad.gif  Good luck

#17 bron23

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

Youcan pay yur entry visa in Aus dollars but then you are relying on their exchange rate. We took our $25 for entry visas in US dollars. We changed $100 into rupiah at the airport just so we had enough to get started and then the rest of our cash we changed there. We also used Commonwealth Bank atms there and had no issues with them. Do not change money anywhere where you are walking down an alley and if an exchange rate is higher than everywhere else its prob too good to be true. Make sure they count the money in front of you although most reputable places will do that anyway. We didnt have any problems at all. You will get a better exchange rate in Bali.

Shannan sorry I can see what your question was.

Glr-r I only mentioned Harris because someone had asked for somewhere centralish that was cheap and nice. We stayed at one of the overpriced villas and were broken into and had massive problems with the owner who expected us to stay there with broken glass smashed locks etc with two young children. We will NEVER stay in a villa again. Harris was incredibly convenient for us as our youngest ended up in ICU at BIMC so we were constantly going between the hotel and the hospital.

We are hoping for a much a nicer holiday next time without break ins and hospitalisations. I loved Bali but would have loved it more without the drama

#18 pinkpineapple

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:36 PM

Hi al.
We're in Bali at the mo and having a lively time. Heading home sat night. Going to the safari park tomoro, rhino pack. But need ideas for what to do fri and sat. I'm traveling with a 2.5yr old.

Thanks

Also those who have done rhino pack is it scary for kids? Or ppl holding kids? Ta

#19 bron23

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:42 PM

I would be getting last minute massages, pool time my 3 year old loved getting her toenails painted. Cant comment on Safari Park as we didnt make it there before DD2 got sick but please let me know how it goes as we would like to go next time

#20 naturalgoodness

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

libbylu - Currency - what to take? We take US$ to pay for those things that we have already booked (like the Sanury dolphin experience) and to pay the entry visa cost. We take AUD$ and use ATM and Credit Cards for the rest
duty free spirits to help us enjoy our stay. Again, better to buy in Australia or in the airport in Bali? I buy duty free at my last airport stop in Australia, to be honest at the Bali end you just get off the plane and go straight to VOA and immigration line, then baggage, customs and out the door so you won't stop to buy Bali end!

shannon31 - I am not sure what question you posted that didn't go unanswered! I go to bali travel forum for most of my info and to ask questions as there is a huge amount of information you can tap into there

pinkpineapple - you could try the Kuta Green Park (Water Park), you could go to the village of Batubulan, just north of Denpasar, this is THE village for the Barong Dance (if you haven't already seen one!), go to the Legian early morning market (is off Jl Nakula), or you could plop on the beanbag chairs at one of the beachfront places at the Seminyak end whilst your little person plays in the sand! We didn't do the rhino tour as stayed at the safari park overnight so had no package, but I imagine it could be a little daunting at first, but after already being in Bali for a little while will probably be fine!

#21 shannon31

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:10 AM

I previously posted a question about Bali Dolphins but got no replies (it must be in the previous thread) My son will be 20 months when we go and I was wondering if anyone had taken younger kids there? Their website says under 5 you cannot go in the water and they have no prices. I emailed Bali Dolphins, they said a parent has to hold him in the water but the want to charge the full child price, I'm sure I read somewhere that kids under 5 were half price?

#22 Lexy2

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

I booked Bali last Friday for the whole family (DH and I only got back a few weeks ago, lol), cheap airfares came up and I couldn't resist.

My question is, I've booked most of our accommodation, but we're looking to go to Safari Park and on the website it says you can stay overnight, has anyone done this, and if so did you enjoy it, worth the money ?  Does your admission cover the Safari and Marine Park, or just the one park ?

Thanks girls original.gif

#23 naturalgoodness

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:48 PM

shannon31 - I have never done the dolphin. I know for our bookin in Feb I am taking my daughter who will be 4 and we are paying US$59 for her (same price as my son who will be 7). My DH is half price as he will not be in the water, just watching.

lexy2 - we stayed at Mara River last time we went to the Safari park and really loved it. It includes admission into the safari park, but I can't comment on the marine bit as we never went there. We loved staying over night - we got the night tour which included feeding the zebras by hand through the open windows, and the accommodation overlooks the area with the rhinos etc with the infinity pool just beside the fence. Dinner and breakfast in the restaurant assure you get to see the lions at their best, and the sounds of the park overnight are astounding. I booked us direct with the Mara River and organised transfers with them to and from our hotel in Legian.

#24 pinkpineapple

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:55 PM

We went to the safari park today. We bought the rhino pack so covered everything. The marine part was really only a few fish tanks unless I missed something (possible). Loved the park though and my 2.5yo loved holding the orangutan and patting the lion cub. Would have loved to stay out there. Accommodation is very close to the safari animals. Imagine it would be a real experience.

I heard a scary story about the dolphins so wouldn't do it over here tbh. Apparently lots of male dolphins and one 'butted' a lady right out of the pool causing extreme damage. It assumed she was menstrating and that's what the dolphin sensed. Bit scary for me.

#25 our3girls

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:14 PM

pinkpineapple you didn't miss anything , the Marine part is currently only a few tanks , they are suppose to be building dolphin pool but it's been happening for a few years now , right next to the waterpark there is building going on I assumed that is were the marine part will be , we stayed at Mara River ( the attached accommodation ) it was awesome.

We did the Dolphin encounter back in March it was great but I suppose they are wild animals so they are unpredictable , We did the Elephant ride at the safari park when we went last year and I was scared the whole time that the elephant would get fed up an throw me off , or take off with me on its back , even more so when it started having a fight with a rhino , picking up dust/ rocks and throwing itat the rhino and the rhino was huffing and puffing at the elephant , I was SCARED Lol , every one else thought it was hilarious.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Long battle to learn the truth about Ariana's birth

Cerise and Tim Lawn spent two years fighting to find out how a healthy pregnancy turned into a nightmare birth, and why their daughter now suffers from disabilities she shouldn't have.

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Whether they're out of favour traditional names, or the parents were a little creative, here are the least popular names of 2013.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.