What would you expect at your presettlement inspection?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 *maddierose*

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:34 PM

We settle tomorrow afternoon at 2:30pm on our new house. We had our presettlement inspection at 5:30pm today.

I'm not sure i was 100% happy with it or if i am expecting to much.

What did you expect at your presettlement?
eg/ house to be empty, near empty, still full of furniture boxes etc.

What things did you check?

cars in or out of garage?

owners to be there for it or not?  

anything else you can think of.

Edited by belnryan, 25 October 2011 - 09:20 PM.

#2 onthephone

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

I expect the house to be completely empty except for chattles, spotlessly clean both inside and out, the garden to be neat and tidy.

If it is not in this condition then I would invoke the hold back clause that I always put in the contract. If you have not stated in the contract that you will hold X$ unless the house is in a certain condition then you have no recourse.

#3 Futureself

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

What did you expect at your presettlement?

That all the fixtures, fittings etc that are supposed to be there are there and no damage has occurred since the acceptance of offer.

It's not yours yet so their furniture and boxes are quite entitled to be there, as are they, until settlement. Had something happened to the property that worried you?

#4 Stellajoy

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

It's hard as they don't have to be out yet. I just checked that nothing obvious was broken, oven worked, and asked that all te pot plants be removed and shed cleaned out. What did you have issues with?

#5 niksia

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:40 PM

Pre-inspection is to ensure there is no damage etc that has occurred between contract and settlement.

Unless they are working all night I would expect 99% of property to be out and cleaning to be majority done.

Keep in mind different levels of cleanliness. I alway clean our new houses again and get the carpets cleaned. Unlike rental properties, there is nothing to demand that it is cleaned to a professional level.

Cars wouldn't bother me as they can be moved quickly.

Our last house that we sold wasn't as clean as I would have like to have left it but the buyers kept pushing for an earlier settlement so it was the price they paid for their convenience.

#6 babybeli

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

When we moved out of our old house into this one we settled on the same day for each house.  So that meant getting our things out of one in the morning and into the other that afternoon.  

The agent came and did the pre settlement inspection (it was a member of their staff that bought our old house) she did it amongst us loading the truck but could see that I was doing the final once over on each room as it emptied.  

I would though normally expect to find a house completely empty and clean at the pre settlement inspection.

I guess our situation was slightly different as we were selling to the agents secretary and she was already aware of how pedantic my DH is so knew it would all be ok.

The house next to us though when it sold had an older lady in it that had gone to a home.  Her family didn't empty it or clean it.  The new owner turned up to a house full of furniture that was not cleaned.  He must have said something because not long after all her adult kids turned up ranting and raving loading all her stuff into Utes etc.  They were so feral.

#7 Guest_Bubbalicious9_*

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

Edited by Bubbalicious9, 29 October 2011 - 05:01 PM.

#8 *maddierose*

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

I didn't have issues as such, it's been a stressful week with work and tiredness so i am sure i am probably over reacting.

I think my biggest thing is  a friend recently purchased a place that was left very messy (they extended settlement until cleaned)  at my inspection i couldn't really tell how it will be left cleanliness wise as there were boxes randomly all over the place, cupboards, wardrobes etc still full, furniture still mostly there.  

I felt like as it is still their house full of their personal belongings that i couldn't look well. Especially as they were sitting right there and i heard the husband comment to his wife when my husband went to touch a sunscreen thing on the awning.

I guess i expected it to be tidy, with boxes stacked/ put somewhere neatly so i could get a better picture of how the house would be left.

I'm probably just nervous and stressing over nothing.

Edited by belnryan, 25 October 2011 - 08:51 PM.

#9 3XY

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:55 PM

We bought our place 3 months ago and had so much trouble with the previous owners we had to delay settlement until they had removed most of the rubbish out from under the house, and then with-held $ to ensure they finished the job properly. Luckily we had written this into the contract as the building inspection identified all this extra stuff we hadn't seen that was stashed under the house. The owners protested that it had been there when they moved in but tough luck.....we wanted it gone.

They left the place a mess, years worth of dust, carpets disgusting, feral oven, dug plants out of the garden, you name it. All this after repeatedly trying to get us to release the deposit so they could pay rent with it, then trying to say they couldn't move out on time as their rental property had fallen through. We had a 6 week settlement and they could have asked for longer but to ask to stay longer 3 days before settlement was a bit crazy.

Anyway......I suppose having your new house in a nice clean condition is really a bonus as it's not like a rental property where you can demand a certain degree of cleanliness.

The pre-settlement inspection is really as the PPs have said, to make sure all the fixtures and fittings are still in place and the place hasn't been wrecked, and also to make sure they take all their crap with them and don't leave it full of rubbish.

Good luck!

ETA: if you weren't satisfied you could see the proper condition of the place, ask you solicitor/conveyancer to request another inspection, closer to settlement. We did this, they didn't comply, so we delayed settlement until we could be sure the stuff was gone.

Edited by 3XY, 25 October 2011 - 08:58 PM.

#10 FreeRangeBabies

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:02 PM

I work as a conveyancing clerk, and we suggest to our clients to do the inspection the morning of settlement, but not less than 2hours before settlement is scheduled.

We tell clients that they are checking that the house in the same condition as when they first inspected it and that the chat ells noted in the contract are there and in working order.

With cleanliness, it's subjective, so it's a difficult fight to undertake, however, having said that, there is a difference between it needing a vacuum and dusting to having to call in the professionals before you step foot in the house.

#11 bellb

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:07 PM

So glad I read this topic, we just bought a new house today (woohoo!) and I didn't know about presettlement inspection, so will make sure I get that.  Also we are lucky the house is already empty!

#12 *maddierose*

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

Whilst I'd hope that it would be empty, you have to be realistic. We had to do a same day settlement/move in the past and it's enough stress without people who aren't even the owners yet traipsing around getting in the way and thumbing their noses about whether we were organised enough for their liking.

see i completely get that, that's why i asked others expectations. Life is crazy busy and i'm sure it is as stressful for them as it is to us.
Oh and until today settlement was actually at 12pm tomorrow that's why i guess i expected a bit more done.

work as a conveyancing clerk, and we suggest to our clients to do the inspection the morning of settlement, but not less than 2hours before settlement is scheduled.

We tell clients that they are checking that the house in the same condition as when they first inspected it and that the chat ells noted in the contract are there and in working order.

With cleanliness, it's subjective, so it's a difficult fight to undertake, however, having said that, there is a difference between it needing a vacuum and dusting to having to call in the professionals before you step foot in the house.

Thankyou for that. We apparently could only look when we did or 9am tomorrow as that's when the agent was available. Pretty sure at 9am it will still be pretty much the same as it was tonight, unless they move throughout the night.

Edited by belnryan, 25 October 2011 - 09:14 PM.

#13 casime

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:03 AM

You should only be looking for any damage that has occurred between signing the contract and any fixtures still being in place.   Cleanliness is subjective, and be aware that delaying settlement could incur costs.  There is no expectation of a certain standard of cleanliness on a sold property, so if you go in expecting a rental standard clean, then you could be in for a fight.    

Personally, I'm always prepared for a couple of days scrubbing a new house to get it to my own standards, regardless of how it has been left.  Which is why I usually book settlements for a Friday, so that I can clean all weekend and have furniture delivered Monday.  

Until the moment of settlement, they still own the property, and have the right to be there.   I'm usually pottering around a place until the morning of settlement, cleaning or checking things over.  I'd roll my eyes at any buyer who expected me to be out a day or more before settlement for them to do a preinspection by themselves and at show home standard.  It just doesn't work that way.

Good luck with your settlement, and try and relax about it.  Chances are that it won't be clean to your own exacting standards, but as long as there is no damage and all the fixtures are there, then that is all that is important.

#14 *maddierose*

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:29 PM

Personally, I'm always prepared for a couple of days scrubbing a new house to get it to my own standards, regardless of how it has been left. Which is why I usually book settlements for a Friday, so that I can clean all weekend and have furniture delivered Monday.

Until the moment of settlement, they still own the property, and have the right to be there. I'm usually pottering around a place until the morning of settlement, cleaning or checking things over. I'd roll my eyes at any buyer who expected me to be out a day or more before settlement for them to do a preinspection by themselves and at show home standard. It just doesn't work that way.

We were definately prepared for a few days of cleaning. We are not moving in until sunday and both Dh and i have taken Friday off work.

I didn't expect them to have everything out i just expected that we could comfortably look.

Anyhow we settled, all was pretty good besides the carpets (with some very bad stains which they had covered previously and some obvious new bad ones that they had boxes on yesterday) which we have a cleaner coming in Friday morning to do anyhow and we are prepared to replace them if need be. The house itself was not cleaned great but i know they didn't have to clean everything. Dh is there now starting the cleaning then we will go tomorrow night and all day Friday.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.