What would you expect at your presettlement inspection?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 *maddierose*

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:34 PM

We settle tomorrow afternoon at 2:30pm on our new house. We had our presettlement inspection at 5:30pm today.

I'm not sure i was 100% happy with it or if i am expecting to much.

What did you expect at your presettlement?
eg/ house to be empty, near empty, still full of furniture boxes etc.

What things did you check?

cars in or out of garage?

owners to be there for it or not?  

anything else you can think of.

Edited by belnryan, 25 October 2011 - 09:20 PM.

#2 onthephone

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

I expect the house to be completely empty except for chattles, spotlessly clean both inside and out, the garden to be neat and tidy.

If it is not in this condition then I would invoke the hold back clause that I always put in the contract. If you have not stated in the contract that you will hold X$ unless the house is in a certain condition then you have no recourse.

#3 Futureself

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

What did you expect at your presettlement?

That all the fixtures, fittings etc that are supposed to be there are there and no damage has occurred since the acceptance of offer.

It's not yours yet so their furniture and boxes are quite entitled to be there, as are they, until settlement. Had something happened to the property that worried you?

#4 Stellajoy

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

It's hard as they don't have to be out yet. I just checked that nothing obvious was broken, oven worked, and asked that all te pot plants be removed and shed cleaned out. What did you have issues with?

#5 niksia

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:40 PM

Pre-inspection is to ensure there is no damage etc that has occurred between contract and settlement.

Unless they are working all night I would expect 99% of property to be out and cleaning to be majority done.

Keep in mind different levels of cleanliness. I alway clean our new houses again and get the carpets cleaned. Unlike rental properties, there is nothing to demand that it is cleaned to a professional level.

Cars wouldn't bother me as they can be moved quickly.

Our last house that we sold wasn't as clean as I would have like to have left it but the buyers kept pushing for an earlier settlement so it was the price they paid for their convenience.

#6 babybeli

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

When we moved out of our old house into this one we settled on the same day for each house.  So that meant getting our things out of one in the morning and into the other that afternoon.  

The agent came and did the pre settlement inspection (it was a member of their staff that bought our old house) she did it amongst us loading the truck but could see that I was doing the final once over on each room as it emptied.  

I would though normally expect to find a house completely empty and clean at the pre settlement inspection.

I guess our situation was slightly different as we were selling to the agents secretary and she was already aware of how pedantic my DH is so knew it would all be ok.

The house next to us though when it sold had an older lady in it that had gone to a home.  Her family didn't empty it or clean it.  The new owner turned up to a house full of furniture that was not cleaned.  He must have said something because not long after all her adult kids turned up ranting and raving loading all her stuff into Utes etc.  They were so feral.

#7 Guest_Bubbalicious9_*

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

Edited by Bubbalicious9, 29 October 2011 - 05:01 PM.

#8 *maddierose*

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

I didn't have issues as such, it's been a stressful week with work and tiredness so i am sure i am probably over reacting.

I think my biggest thing is  a friend recently purchased a place that was left very messy (they extended settlement until cleaned)  at my inspection i couldn't really tell how it will be left cleanliness wise as there were boxes randomly all over the place, cupboards, wardrobes etc still full, furniture still mostly there.  

I felt like as it is still their house full of their personal belongings that i couldn't look well. Especially as they were sitting right there and i heard the husband comment to his wife when my husband went to touch a sunscreen thing on the awning.

I guess i expected it to be tidy, with boxes stacked/ put somewhere neatly so i could get a better picture of how the house would be left.

I'm probably just nervous and stressing over nothing.

Edited by belnryan, 25 October 2011 - 08:51 PM.

#9 3XY

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:55 PM

We bought our place 3 months ago and had so much trouble with the previous owners we had to delay settlement until they had removed most of the rubbish out from under the house, and then with-held $ to ensure they finished the job properly. Luckily we had written this into the contract as the building inspection identified all this extra stuff we hadn't seen that was stashed under the house. The owners protested that it had been there when they moved in but tough luck.....we wanted it gone.

They left the place a mess, years worth of dust, carpets disgusting, feral oven, dug plants out of the garden, you name it. All this after repeatedly trying to get us to release the deposit so they could pay rent with it, then trying to say they couldn't move out on time as their rental property had fallen through. We had a 6 week settlement and they could have asked for longer but to ask to stay longer 3 days before settlement was a bit crazy.

Anyway......I suppose having your new house in a nice clean condition is really a bonus as it's not like a rental property where you can demand a certain degree of cleanliness.

The pre-settlement inspection is really as the PPs have said, to make sure all the fixtures and fittings are still in place and the place hasn't been wrecked, and also to make sure they take all their crap with them and don't leave it full of rubbish.

Good luck!

ETA: if you weren't satisfied you could see the proper condition of the place, ask you solicitor/conveyancer to request another inspection, closer to settlement. We did this, they didn't comply, so we delayed settlement until we could be sure the stuff was gone.

Edited by 3XY, 25 October 2011 - 08:58 PM.

#10 FreeRangeBabies

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:02 PM

I work as a conveyancing clerk, and we suggest to our clients to do the inspection the morning of settlement, but not less than 2hours before settlement is scheduled.

We tell clients that they are checking that the house in the same condition as when they first inspected it and that the chat ells noted in the contract are there and in working order.

With cleanliness, it's subjective, so it's a difficult fight to undertake, however, having said that, there is a difference between it needing a vacuum and dusting to having to call in the professionals before you step foot in the house.

#11 bellb

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:07 PM

So glad I read this topic, we just bought a new house today (woohoo!) and I didn't know about presettlement inspection, so will make sure I get that.  Also we are lucky the house is already empty!

#12 *maddierose*

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

Whilst I'd hope that it would be empty, you have to be realistic. We had to do a same day settlement/move in the past and it's enough stress without people who aren't even the owners yet traipsing around getting in the way and thumbing their noses about whether we were organised enough for their liking.

see i completely get that, that's why i asked others expectations. Life is crazy busy and i'm sure it is as stressful for them as it is to us.
Oh and until today settlement was actually at 12pm tomorrow that's why i guess i expected a bit more done.

work as a conveyancing clerk, and we suggest to our clients to do the inspection the morning of settlement, but not less than 2hours before settlement is scheduled.

We tell clients that they are checking that the house in the same condition as when they first inspected it and that the chat ells noted in the contract are there and in working order.

With cleanliness, it's subjective, so it's a difficult fight to undertake, however, having said that, there is a difference between it needing a vacuum and dusting to having to call in the professionals before you step foot in the house.

Thankyou for that. We apparently could only look when we did or 9am tomorrow as that's when the agent was available. Pretty sure at 9am it will still be pretty much the same as it was tonight, unless they move throughout the night.

Edited by belnryan, 25 October 2011 - 09:14 PM.

#13 casime

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:03 AM

You should only be looking for any damage that has occurred between signing the contract and any fixtures still being in place.   Cleanliness is subjective, and be aware that delaying settlement could incur costs.  There is no expectation of a certain standard of cleanliness on a sold property, so if you go in expecting a rental standard clean, then you could be in for a fight.    

Personally, I'm always prepared for a couple of days scrubbing a new house to get it to my own standards, regardless of how it has been left.  Which is why I usually book settlements for a Friday, so that I can clean all weekend and have furniture delivered Monday.  

Until the moment of settlement, they still own the property, and have the right to be there.   I'm usually pottering around a place until the morning of settlement, cleaning or checking things over.  I'd roll my eyes at any buyer who expected me to be out a day or more before settlement for them to do a preinspection by themselves and at show home standard.  It just doesn't work that way.

Good luck with your settlement, and try and relax about it.  Chances are that it won't be clean to your own exacting standards, but as long as there is no damage and all the fixtures are there, then that is all that is important.

#14 *maddierose*

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:29 PM

Personally, I'm always prepared for a couple of days scrubbing a new house to get it to my own standards, regardless of how it has been left. Which is why I usually book settlements for a Friday, so that I can clean all weekend and have furniture delivered Monday.

Until the moment of settlement, they still own the property, and have the right to be there. I'm usually pottering around a place until the morning of settlement, cleaning or checking things over. I'd roll my eyes at any buyer who expected me to be out a day or more before settlement for them to do a preinspection by themselves and at show home standard. It just doesn't work that way.

We were definately prepared for a few days of cleaning. We are not moving in until sunday and both Dh and i have taken Friday off work.

I didn't expect them to have everything out i just expected that we could comfortably look.

Anyhow we settled, all was pretty good besides the carpets (with some very bad stains which they had covered previously and some obvious new bad ones that they had boxes on yesterday) which we have a cleaner coming in Friday morning to do anyhow and we are prepared to replace them if need be. The house itself was not cleaned great but i know they didn't have to clean everything. Dh is there now starting the cleaning then we will go tomorrow night and all day Friday.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Dad breastfeeds his babies

Trevor Macdonald has now been pregnant twice, and is successfully breastfeeding his newest family member.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.