Link to last thread.

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=883265

Have Fun!!

#2 Riotproof

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

May be of interest http://www.babyledweaning.com/2011/blw-dia...the-home-front/

#3 trifford

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:56 PM

Well we're still having a great time with food but my daughter has had some issues with constipation (cooked a prune in her porridge which helped!) and painful wind. All the foods that seem appropriate and she really enjoys seem to be those that cause wind - green beans, broccoli, avocado... also apparently not chewing food thoroughly can cause wind. It really seems to hurt her and she sometimes wakes up screaming with it sad.gif Does anyone know what foods don't cause wind that are good for BLW?

#4 PinkieB

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:38 PM

Help!!!

I just started my son on BLW yesterday, and of course on seeing a photo and video clip of him munching on a roast carrot and some pumpkin my MIL has told us he should be eating purées and rice cereal sad.gif

I trust my decision to BLW 100% but I am struggling to find a few good responses about not needing the iron fortified foods and feeding him mush. I'll be seeing her on Sunday and at the moment I'm really annoyed at her response so I was hoping there may be an easy to read info sheet I can give her

Thanks!

#5 mumof3b1g

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:12 PM

I am seriously thinking of starting BLW but Im a little worried about our DD choking, she is now 6 months.

Could someone possibly give me a few examples of what foods would be good to start her on?

#6 runnybabbit

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:32 PM

mumof3b1g The risk of choking is there with eating or drinking anything, whether pureed, mashed, or cooked or uncooked however. Obviously certain food are more likely to be choking hazards (sultanas, whole grapes, etc) but the important thing is to know what to do if choking occurs, so the best thing would be to do a baby first aid course. Soft foods like (ripe) avocado wedges, steamed carrot sticks, steamed broccoli florets, etc are a good place to start.

AFM my baby is 6.5 months and at the moment I am offering him solids once a day, usually bread dipped in pureed food, with steamed carrot sticks, avocado wedges, steamed sweet potato, etc.

At what point should I start having more than one meal a day with him? He is obviously getting some food into him (carrot in his poos), but is still having 5-6 breastfeeds a day.

#7 trifford

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:23 AM

I highly recommend reading the book: Baby Led Weaning - helping your baby to love good food. It helps you answer the questions you will invariably get, even if you are already confident in your own reasons for BLW. I got it from our local library.

#8 Faith75

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

We are really enjoying our BLW journey. DD is 7 mths and loves putting the food in her mouth, having a go at chewing then swirls it around her mouth and spits it out. Some of it definitely goes down but not alot...just wondering at what age do they really start to swallow.

#9 RipeWickedPlum

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

I'm just about to start BLW. I tried my DD on rice cereal yesterday and it was a big failure, until I let her play with it. So, we're about to start just giving her softened foods to eat herself.

She's over 5 months old now and I'm not sure if she is ready for solids or not, but at least this way she controls what she eats. She can sit well in the high chair with good neck control, grab her dummy and pop it in her mouth.

She hates having anything other than her dummy or boobie being put into her mouth...

I thought I'd start with pumpkin (that was what we started with when my eldest DD was starting solids). I also want to try avocado.

When can I start breads and pastas etc???

#10 Madeline's Mum

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:47 PM

Hi Ladies,

DS is only 14 weeks but I want to try BLW with him when he shows signs of readiness and interest. Could you recommend me any books? Ive searched The Book Depository and found Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food but I've realised this is an earlier addition and they have since published a new one (currently out of stock).. Any other authors or books anyone can recommend?

Look forward to joining these threads in a  few months original.gif

#11 ScarfaceClaw

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:48 AM

Hi! I'm new here! My little guy is 5.5 months old, and been showing a little readiness, so I've started offering him a modified version of what we are having for dinner.
So far we have had some success with broccoli, avocado and mushroom all going in the mouth and being moved around.
I'm planning on starting to offer him fruit for lunch, and then stick with the dinner as well for a while.
We had a really stressful start to breast feeding, so I am really hoping that BLW is a more enjoyable foray into food and we can all enjoy it..
I was dreading solids until I came across BLW and now I am really excited by it....
Here we go!

#12 Kitty Fantastico

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (Faith75 @ 07/11/2011, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are really enjoying our BLW journey. DD is 7 mths and loves putting the food in her mouth, having a go at chewing then swirls it around her mouth and spits it out. Some of it definitely goes down but not alot...just wondering at what age do they really start to swallow.

My son really got the hang of eating about 9/10 months. It does take a while for them to connect eating=full/satisfied tummy.

QUOTE (Madeline's Mum @ 07/11/2011, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Ladies,

DS is only 14 weeks but I want to try BLW with him when he shows signs of readiness and interest. Could you recommend me any books? Ive searched The Book Depository and found Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food but I've realised this is an earlier addition and they have since published a new one (currently out of stock).. Any other authors or books anyone can recommend?

Look forward to joining these threads in a few months original.gif

This book is really essential reading. I don't think it would matter buying an older copy as the principles are still the same. It's not like there's new discoveries in the world of BLW if you know what I mean original.gif

#13 Kitty Fantastico

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE (PinkieB @ 04/11/2011, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Help!!!

I just started my son on BLW yesterday, and of course on seeing a photo and video clip of him munching on a roast carrot and some pumpkin my MIL has told us he should be eating purées and rice cereal sad.gif

I trust my decision to BLW 100% but I am struggling to find a few good responses about not needing the iron fortified foods and feeding him mush. I'll be seeing her on Sunday and at the moment I'm really annoyed at her response so I was hoping there may be an easy to read info sheet I can give her

Thanks!

Re the iron thing - it's been drummed into people that babies need iron from 6 months, but actually all babies are born at term are born with a store of nutrients. It's from 6 months that they begin to go down. Iron levels don't go "poof" overnight.

This is from the BLW book pages 39-40 of Baby-Led Weaning by Gill Rapley and Tracey Murkett. If I'm not allowed to post it - feel free to delete it mods.

"Babies are born with stores of nutrients accumulated during their time in the womb. These stores start to be used from the moment the baby is born but the amounts in his milk feedings are enough to ensure that he still has plenty. From six months onward, the balance shifts, so that they baby begins very gradually to need more from his diet than breast milk or formula alone can supply.
It's important to recognize that, at six months, most babies are only just beginning to outgrow their milk-only diet. Most full-term babies have adequate stores of, for example, iron, to see them through for quite a bit longer without a problem - they don't run out of anything overnight. But they need to be introduced to solids at around six months so that they can develop the skills they need to eat different foods and get used to new tastes, ready for when they really do begin to rely on other foods as their main source of nourishment.
A baby's slowly increasing need for more nutrients seems to coincide with the gradual development of his self-feeding skills."

I cannot recommend the book highly enough. I has EVERYTHING you need to know and arm yourself with knowledge so that you can answer people when they question your choices.

#14 bluedragon

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:17 PM

Hi,
DS is 6 months on thursday and we're thinking about starting BLW with him this week. I think he's ready but I guess there is only one way to find out! I have read Gill Rapley's book and am looking forward to DS discovering a whole new world. We have an avocado that is just perfect, ripe but still a little firm and I'm thinking of trying this tomorrow night with him. Is this an ok first food or should I start with some steamed carrots instead?

I also have a question about his teeth. He got his first teeth at 4 months and so I'm wondering if I need to start brushing them after eating solids? I bought a baby toothbrush and some baby toothpaste today just incase but do I need to use them? I can imagine it's not going to be easy, he hates me doing anything to his face even wiping his nose can ba a challenge sometimes.

Thanks in advance, hopefully I'll be reporting some success stories soon original.gif

#15 bluedragon

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

So we tried some food with DS tonight... Not one piece got down  roll2.gif We tried some avocado cut into thick slices and carrot sticks steamed. He got a few of them in his mouth and bit down but them had a 'OMG what is that?!' face on. It was very funny and cute. So only a few attempts at a chew but it's a place to start. He did have a fantastic time grabbing at things, feeling the textures and finger painting with the smooshed avocado on his table  biggrin.gif

A few things I noticed was the avocado was a bit slippery so will wait to try it again when he's a bit older or is having things on toast. And the carrots were a little too cooked so broke up in his hands to easily. So will try again tomorrow with something firmer.

#16 cloudstreet

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (PinkieB @ 04/11/2011, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Help!!!

Thanks!

Tell her that rice cereal made your bub constipated! A little white lie but it's very common (at least for my DD it was).

#17 Tesseract

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:03 AM

Hello all! I've been doing BLW with my little one since she started solids at 6 months, she is now 9 months and WE LOVE IT!

So I just thought I'd drop in here and answer some of the questions. As PPs have said the book is essential reading, and I'm sure an older version would be fine. I borrowed mine from the library.

To the person who asked about first foods. Yes avocado would be fine, really anything (barring chocking hazards like nuts, or salty processed foods) that your baby can pick up is good! In the first few weeks I had good success with sticks of roasted vegetables. So a stick of roasted carrot, roasted sweet potato was very popular. I found these easier for her to keep a hold of - avocado for example is very slippery and mushes up in her hand quickly. She can handle it now that she has more developed fine motor control. Fingers of mango with the skin left on, cucumber quartered lengthways, whole strawberries, half a nectarine. French toast was DD's first food I think!

I introduced one meal in the first month, two meals in the second month, three in the third. But if she was awake for other meals during that time then she was definitely included and offered food. Since she is in control of how much she eats and breastfeeds I didn't need to worry about how much she was or wasn't eating.

My extended family were so skeptical at first. It was the topic of family gossip for quite some time! My MIL and mum were so worried she was going to chock and starve to death. But they are the biggest converts now! They defend BLW to anybody who criticizes! Once they saw it in action they were so impressed. My mum and MIL now go on and on about how sensible and natural it is, and how they wish they did it instead of wasting all that time with purées and spoon feeding! I would suggest anybody with concerned family members to buy the book and get them to read the section on chocking/gagging. DD only gagged a couple of times but it was scary for others to see because they didn't understand the difference between chocking and gagging, and they didn't understand that babies need to gag a bit to learn, and they didn't understand that they need to just be calm and not freak.

My life is somuch easier than my friends who spoon feed. While they're stressing about how much their baby is eating, while they're mashing and spoon feeding, while their own food gets cold - and there I am tucking into my hot food while I trust that DD will eat what she needs. It rocks.

#18 -Belinda-

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:39 PM

Hi - just hoping to get some advice, I started with BLW a couple of days ago but am not doing it properly. We tried some carrot, zucchini and potato. DS (5.5 months and a big bub) knows he wants it and can get some in, but not quick enough and so is getting very frustrated and crying as he can see the rest of us eating. As a result, I am giving him a bit to hold or even offer the piece to his mouth (which I know is against the rules) but he is diving for it and it isatisfies him more but I'm feeling that its defeating the purpose, as I may as well spoonfeed (like I did with DD) as feed this way - my own dinner is still getting cold!
Any advice appreciated, Belinda

#19 bluedragon

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:30 AM

Belinda - is he really hungry? I always make sure DS has had a breastfeed sometime within the last hour before offering solids and if not give him a quick top up before we sit down. Because they are just learning and can't feed themselves quickly or easily if they are hungry they can get very frustrated very easily. Remember it's about discovering new tastes, textures etc at this stage not necessarily getting as much food into them as possible.

I have handed DS things I think your allowed to hand them stuff just not supposed to put things in their mouth. Saying that though the only way DS eats banana is for me to hold it, he then holds my fingers and brings his mouth to it.

#20 Kitty Fantastico

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:10 PM

Belinda, it's tough seeing them frustrated, but it's all part of the learning process and doesn't last long. If you always have to "help" him, he'll take longer to "get" it. At that age, definately give a milk feed before food so that he's not hungry and make sure that he's not too tired either so that the meal time's as relaxed as possible.

#21 FeralZupee

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:28 PM

Hi there!

New poster to this thread  original.gif
We have started baby led weaning a few weeks ago, and it is going pretty well! I love seeing the expression on DD's face as she tries a new taste. She starts out pretty slow; just touching and looking at the food, but then she starts picking it up and eating it. For the first couple of weeks I don't think much was going down, but she was doing a lot of licking and sucking. Now in the last few days she seems to be actually swallowing some - we'll see if it makes a difference at the other end wink.gif Just in these few weeks I've noticed she is improving in handling the food, so if nothing else, I think it's a great learning experience.

DD has always been quite vocal about what she doesn't like - refusing the bottle and the dummy, as well as crying/pushing away when BF if she wanted one side and I offered the other. Because of this I was quite dreading starting solids, until I learnt about baby led weaning. It was mentioned as an option at our MCHN food session, so that night I went home and googled to find out more, and was quite excited by the concept. I've been slowly reading these past threads to get ideas, and have bought the baby led weaning cookbook.
At the moment I'm struggling a little bit with explaining to other's the concept ("but when do you give the puree's", how do you know she's eating enough, etc?); so that starts to put doubts in my mind as well. But then I try to remember the mantra - 'food until one is fun', and also seeing how she is enjoying the food experience without me needing to persuade her to eat is great. It feels so natural to include her in our meals if she is awake.

Food hits so far have been cucumber, mango with the skin on (that got giggles the other day), roast potato and pumpkin, cooked mushrooms, watermelon (v. messy - I highly recommend going naked under the bib for this one - except for the nappy of course!!!), pear slices, and vegie soup on a pre-loaded spoon.
I've only offered one bit of meat so far, and there wasn't much interest in that yet, so that's to be continued. I have a peanut allergy and DD has some eczema, so I'm taking a bit slowly and intend to introduce the common allergy foods with the 3 days between.

For offering water, I've been alternating between a little shot glass and a sippy cup - the shot glass is the most successful atm, but want her to get used to the sippy cup for when we are out and about, and also so that it could be an option for EBM if I need to go out.

I have a couple of questions for the experienced BLW-ers:

- Any recommendations for little cups for the babies (ie. not sippy cups). The one I'm using at the moment is a glass one and it seems to be fine, but not sure if I should be using a plastic one instead? If so, where to get one from?

- Also, how do you manage having dinner with the baby? I've been offering dinner sometimes around 5.30pm and I've been eating with her, and then DP has his dinner later when he gets home - is that what other's do?

Thanks original.gif

#22 Kitty Fantastico

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (Squeak's Mum @ 10/12/2011, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a couple of questions for the experienced BLW-ers:

- Any recommendations for little cups for the babies (ie. not sippy cups). The one I'm using at the moment is a glass one and it seems to be fine, but not sure if I should be using a plastic one instead? If so, where to get one from?

- Also, how do you manage having dinner with the baby? I've been offering dinner sometimes around 5.30pm and I've been eating with her, and then DP has his dinner later when he gets home - is that what other's do?

Thanks original.gif

Hi. Sounds like BLW is coming along nicely for you.

Cups - I've been using plastic shot glasses from the cheapo shops. They're good for little hands, though DS likes me to hold it for him.

Dinner is completely up to you and whatever works for your family. I often save some dinner for DS from the previous night as DH and I like to eat later in the evening. He's happy to eat dinner on his own and I just supervise him. I also have things on hand to whip up if the food's not appropriate like tinned baked beans, tuna, vegies I can microwave. I sometimes make him his own dinners like scrambled eggs. In my freezer I also have a stash of cooked stews, risotto, pasta sauce etc that I can deforst and serve with vegies.

The awesome thing with BLW is that anything goes and you do what works for your family original.gif

#23 FeralZupee

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:17 PM

Thanks Kitty Fantastico - I'll have a look around for those cups. Thanks for sharing about how you manage dinner, that sounds good to me; we might look to do something similar (it would then give a bit more time for dinner prep which is something else I've been struggling with - I'm not the best cook in the world hehe!).

#24 -Belinda-

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

Thanks BlueDragon and Kitty Fantastico. I am stil BFIng beforehand, its a bit hit and miss how tired he is. If he's up, he sits with us. If he's sitting with us, he wants to eat regardless of how tired he is. I'm not fussed if its not much, but the frustration is difficult. And perhaps that is more obvious when he's tired.
I will keep trying not to help him  wink.gif - thanks for the encouragement.

Squeak's mum - for DD, she wanted a glass like ours so I just bought a plastic tumbler from the picnic ware section of Target. It was close enough to the real thing for her and she managed quite well.

#25 raindotdot

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

We have been doing BLWing for a month now and DS is getting very good with his coordination and aim, particularly carrot sticks. Initially he also opened his mouth for me when I gave him some lumpy purees on a spoon and he was really embracing solids.

This week, DS (6.5m) has clamped his little mouth shut whenever I try to spoon feed him. He'll happily feed himself (but not much goes in). I was hoping we could do a mixture of spoon and self-feeding as spoon feeding is SO much cleaner for when we go out. I'm so worried about what solids he can/will eat when we go overseas in 3 months time. Jar baby food is plentiful but freshly prepared BLW-style food not so in restaurants!

I wonder if giving him greek yoghurt on a spoon has turned him off spoons :-(

Any advice?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Christa Engles was changing her baby's nappy when tragedy struck.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.