When I found out she was pregnant

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#26 Frightbat

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

With the twins I took a test, I'd been charting and suspected I might be pregnant. I ran out of the bathroom and squealing I was pregnant, waving the stick around. DH was carrying a bowl of cereal to the table... His first words.... "hey! That's got pee on it, get it away from my breakfast!!!' and then "seriously?!?!" in a very excited tone.

#27 aleithaki

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:18 PM

My hubby and I always look at the test together after the 3 minutes are up. It's sweet!

#28 DyingofLove

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:27 PM

It was our first month trying so I was trying not to get my hopes up but still had a good feeling about it, and went to bed planning to test with FMU the next day.

I woke up at 5.00am busting to pee and couldn't wait too long before I had to go and get it over with.

When I saw the test was positive I was so happy, and of course a little shocked. I took a few minutes to compose myself then went back to bed in the dark and whispered to my DH, "I'm pregnant." He said, "You're joking" and kind of nervously laughed.

Then as it was still so early we just lay in bed for the next couple of hours pretty much speechless and in shock, and both so happy.  original.gif

He proceeded to make a few jokes about being disappointed that he missed out on several more months "trying".  laughing2.gif

#29 EoinCuinn

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:28 PM

I loved finding out about all 4 of ours. Losing one early, and another at 20wks turned subsequent pregnancies a bit scary and thrilling in the same heartbeat.  Proceeded by annoying the wife trying to take the best photo of the stick!

#30 KT1978

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:29 PM

I know to tell dp, leave the room and let him come to me.  He has a delayed reaction, and is quiet until it sinks in.

After that he is fine.

#31 AryaStar

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:00 PM

I am the only woman I know who found out she was pregnant from her DH.

It was from an IVF cycle and I had a blood test in the morning. I didn't want the clinic to call me while I was at work in case it was bad news so they phoned DH with the results instead.

It wasn't until I got home that night that DH walked down to meet me at the train station and told me the news. The first thing I did was scold him for not ringing me at work to tell me as soon as he found out. I just assumed that it must have been bad news because he hadn't phoned me so I was pretty pleasantly shocked when he told me. It was quite surreal.

Edited by Shady Lane, 17 October 2011 - 06:01 PM.

#32 NannyPlum

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:21 PM

One night with out DP knowing I took the test and when it came back positive I just walked out gave him the stick before going into the bedroom to breakdown.  He followed me in and demanded to know what it was before walking out to the lounge in shock.

I don't think either of us spoke to each other for a few days before it sunk in. I had a miscarriage about a year before so we were both thinking of that and we had just come out the other side of relationship problems.  We also didn't want to get our hopes up so I didn't buy anything for the baby until after the 20 week scan!

DP is my rock now.

#33 Buff Daddy

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:02 AM

DW and I had been TTC for about 5 years.  We had just started our 6th IVF cycle.  Already we had decided that if it didn't work this time, that was it - no kids for us.

DW had an appointment with her optometrist.  In part of his testing he asked "Are you pregnant?".  DW replied "Not that I know of".  The optometrist said he could see something in her eyes that he would normally see in pregnant women.  DW explained that she was in an IVF cycle so it could be the drugs mimicing pregancy.

A few days later, DW peed on a stick and  BFP.gif !  We were both over the moon, but cautious due to previous failed pregnancies.  DS is now nearly 7yo!

After DS arrived we decided that we wouldn't actively TTC but just let things happen if they happened.  We decided that once DW reached 40 yo, then we would stop.  2 weeks before DW's 40th birthday BFP.gif  Another surprise but a wonderful one! DD is now 1 yo.

I cried both times the pregnancies were confirmed.

Buff   biggrin.gif

#34 newdaddy09

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

Ah Buff Daddy - you da man... nice story, well told

Thankyou all for sharing.

Great stories all round

And thanks to Essential Baby and the Being Dad guys for letting us have this forum.. so nice to know there are other blokes and women who love them out there thinking the same way

#35 Feraldadathome

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

We'd been up the mountains for a weekend and were oth a little disappointed when she was feeling unwell as trips away usually involved lots of good wine and good food.

DP did the stick thing on the Monday (we'd been TTC, but only for 6 weeks and she'd been diagnosed with PCOS years earlier). I still being happy and scared and amazed all in one at the positive result.

#36 BadgerBasher

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:22 PM

"uhm. I think I'm pregnant."
"have you tested?"
"no..."
*runs out, buys test*

*does test. shows mutely*

Together: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

And then I cried and he went to talk to his dad.

I was 19.

#37 *CalamityJane*

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:16 AM

QUOTE (Amberlina21 @ 17/10/2011, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He also felt a bit bummed original.gif that it happened so soon, he had these great fantasies about how much sex we would be having in order to conceive.

LOL that was my DH too, second month of TTC.  

I had felt sick all day on and off and didn't think much of it, but when I got the fish out of the fridge to cook for tea and the smell made me want to hurl I thought something might be up.  DH said he would cook tea and I sat on the kitchen floor feeling ill.  Then I got up and said I think I need to go to the chemist and buy a pregnancy test - he just about fainted LOL.  I did the test and we watched the lines come up together in shock and amazement.

Even more priceless was his (and my) reaction to finding out at 13 weeks that the pregnancy was twins.  DH had actually joked to the sonographer "We haven't told anyone yet in case it's got two heads"...and she said "Um...actually it does, and two bodies...".  It took a couple of moments before we realised what she was saying LOL.  Then we told every complete stranger we saw between the US and the carpark, all the while giggling like idiots.  It was the day before our first wedding anniversary  original.gif .

#38 matt1972

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

I received a text message from my wife at about 8am asking if I wanted to meet for a coffee. We work close together and I start at 7 and she starts at 8.30 so I met up with her and she looked kind of tense when I sat down.  
I really cant recall verbatim our conversation but it went along these lines;
I did a test this morning and I am pregnant.
Huh?
What?
Are you sure?
Yes. Do you want to see the test?
Do you have a stick covered in pee in your bag?
Yes.
Wow! Thats great news, the pregnancy not the pee stick.

#39 delta508

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:12 PM

My DH's first words were: "Is it mine?"  mad.gif

(Yes, it was!  original.gif )

#40 Guest_Spring Chickadee_*

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

1st pregnancy "what Line'
2nd Pregnancy " I can't see the line"
3rd pregnancy "I believe you when you say there is a line but I seriously can't see it....oh wait... no I still can't see it"

It always took my DH 2 extra days to see a strong enough line. with the first pregnancy he was excited but it wasn't real enough yet to be like 'We are having a baby!' . with the second 2 pregnancy's he looked a lot like me- worried for the coming weeks and hoping we could start getting excited soon.

#41 Justaduck

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:00 PM

I had joked about it with DP before - once when he was drunk, and once just coz I was in a mean mood that day for some reason.

We weren't even considering trying, and he had no idea I was taking a test. I had one left over from the month before when I was two weeks late. They say some people just "know" they are pregnant, and I cannot tell you why, but I just knew I HAD to take a test.

Walked out of the toilet, washed my hands and went over to DP who was sitting on the couch. I said "Babe, we need to go to the shops NOW" (I wanted a second test to make certain) he said "Urgh, can't it wait until tomorrow" and I said "No, we need to go NOW." He just said "You're pregnant aren't you" and I just pointed to the toilet and he went in and looked. We both freaked out for a minute, then he went and banged his head against a wall and left a dent Tounge1.gif

5 months down the track he is more excited than I am about it and has been pretty mature about it ever since the head vs wall incident.

#42 MidnightDad

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

Hrmm... interesting question. I was never told, she did the urine test and we watched it come up positive together.

#43 Mung bean

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (HurryUpAlready @ 17/10/2011, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now at 24 weeks my struggle is to have him take an interest in this pregnancy and his baby.  I asked him when he was going to get excited and he responded "when it's 2".

Sigh.....

I really hope you DH takes interest, someone once said to me "If they are not willing now you can't expect them to just change later" which may not always be true but I took that to mean that if Dad's attitude is no I won't do this and that in the beginning then it is hard for them to step up later on and more likely leaves the Mum feeling resentful and worn out.

For us DS was a surprise, I was 21 and had a gut feeling I needed to test so we got a test ad went into the bathroom together and tested, sure enough I was pregnant.

Naturally we freaked out as DP was booked to head to Morocco and I was heading to South America, we both cancelled our trips and now we have been together for 2-1/2 yrs ad have a 6-1/2 month old DS.  blush.gif

#44 dizzy-anne

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:18 PM

For my first pregnancy, we had a digital test and we had it in bed between us and we waited together for "pregnant" to come up.  We both had a huge, slightly stunned grin, and tears too.  We laughed and we cried.

The second one, again we watched it come up together.  Smiles and happiness this time, a little less excited than last.

The third one, I had done a digital test and it came up negative - we again watched together.  I did an IC the next day because I was sure I was pregnant and it should have been positive.  So I showed him the faintest of lines.  He didn't believe me... in a nice way.  So I did another the next day and showed him again.  We both were happy but also resigned after our last two losses.

The fourth one, he was away, but I had kept him updated with how I was feeling and I was again sure I was pregnant (I have never been wrong).  I did a test and he rang later that night.  We chatted for a while before his pay phone nearly ran out of money and I remembered about the test - we were both getting a bit blase by now.  Anyway - he said "yes well that's what I really wanted to know!" - and I said, yep, as I thought, pregnant.  I think I heard the smile, but again, resignation.

The best part was our first scan.  At 6 weeks.  We saw a blob and heard and saw the heartbeat.  This was our "you're pregnant" news and DH was so excited he was jumping all over the room when the sonographer left biggrin.gif

#45 SirBung

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:04 AM

My wife and I had always been pretty adamant that we were going to be a childless couple - it had never really been something we were interested in.

As time progressed, and we did a little babysitting of our 3 year old niece, we came around and thought "well.... maybe we SHOULD have a child - will be a rather boring existence without".  So, we made an appointment at the doctor to have her mirena removed.

Not long after, she was having terrible stomach pains, and still hadn't gotten her period after 6 or 7 weeks.  One day was particularly bad, and we ended up at the ER.  She was told that a cyst had ruptured on her ovaries.

So we had that treated, and I decided to take her on a holiday to help her get over it all.  By now her cycle had returned to pretty normal.  After our 2 week holiday, she was late again, and we assumed it was still just a little irregular.  We did about three home preg tests which all came back negative, so she made an appointment at the doctors for the next day.  The doctor asked "are you pregnant" which she insisted she was not, and the doctor decided to to another pregnancy test anyway, and this one came up positive.

She phoned me at work, and said she was coming to visit me.  I was loading a truck at the time, and she walked up to me and said "I have a present for you" and handed me this tiny little baby sock.  I looked at it for a second and said something stupid like "I don't think it's going to fit me honey" and then I looked inside, and there was the positive test.  I looked at her again and she had this massive smile on her face which was quickly replaced with tears.  Gave her a missive hug and a kiss, and that was pretty much it.

She's now 25 weeks tomorrow, and all going well with our first child, a baby girl.  We're both very happy.

#46 @beck and call

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:48 PM

DH and I weren't trying when I found out I was pregnant with DD1. Hubby was overseas for work for 2 weeks and I woke up one morning feeling really sick,throwing up etc. Went to DR who did a pregnancy test, which was positive! Came home in shock and thought I'd better ring hubby, while I was dialling the number I noticed that it would of been 10 mins to midnight overseas and it was still hubby's b'day. Rang and told him and he started to cry and said it was the best birthday present ever!

With DD2 - another surprise as I was busy studying and working partime and being a mum, so we weren't trying. It was a complete surprise. Started to get the same sick feelings as previous, so went to the shops to buy some tests, came up +ive. when DH came home told him I had a surprise and showed him the tests. He was shocked but then started dancing around the house claiming he had super sperm as DD1 was only 14mths of age! lol. biggrin.gif

DS1 - I didnt even realise I was pregnant since having DD2 my period went haywire and was never consistent and came when she liked, I never knew when to expect her. DH asked me if I could be pregnant as he noticed my tummy was growing and getting rounder. I had no symptoms at all! Went to Dr's and found out I was 10 wks along! wink.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.