Sewing BG #93

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
202 replies to this topic

#151 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:24 AM

Hi everyone  waves.gif

I have been off line for a while because we went away for Xmas and then as soon as we got back, we shifted house and then had a birthday party for a 3 yo. (DD2).  It's been hectic.  Still waiting on a phone connection at home, so internet access is limited (except when I'm at work).

To be honest, I haven't done any sewing since before Christmas.   cry1.gif   But, I am starting to plan a quilt and I need to sew a few dresses for the girls before summer ends, so I will try to get them started soon.  tthumbs.gif

Off to check out a few of your blogs and to catch up on the thread.  Hope you are all doing well.  original.gif

#152 iykwim

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

Morning...anybody  unsure.gif Lol

So I have been working on a quilt for my bed, king size  oomg.gif S it's taking a while. I think I want to quilt it myself but it's a bit daunting. I'm even thinking of entering it in the local show, I really love it so far original.gif I am also planning a space invaders quilt for DS, one for DD1 and I spose I should start thinking about one for DD2 for when she goes into a big bed.

Question - when do you sew? I all of a sudden have a toddler, lol, so am finding it difficult to find as much time as I used to. I have her nap time which is usually pretty long, but I have so many other things to do then too. I have been thinking about sewing at night but that is the only time DH and I have together without the kids original.gif oh well, will have to wait out the toddler years I suppose...

Yoda - hope things are settling down for you original.gif

#153 hungryhippo

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

Can I join this thread?

I got a sewing machine for Christmas and have sewn a few things since. I made a dress over the weekend and am so chuffed with the results!

#154 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE (hungryhippo @ 13/02/2012, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can I join this thread?

I got a sewing machine for Christmas and have sewn a few things since. I made a dress over the weekend and am so chuffed with the results!

come on in.   waves.gif

And show us your pics of your sewing!   tthumbs.gif We love to see everyone's sewing.

#155 iykwim

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:32 AM

Hello hungryhippo original.gif I agree with yoda, show us pics original.gif

#156 becanne

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:33 AM

Hi Yoda - nice to see you.

Welcome hungryhippo. Photos please  original.gif

3bubs - good luck with the quilt, love to see a photo of that too!

#157 hungryhippo

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

Hey all,

Just coming back with pictures. I am at work and they have blocked all image sites, so I will link you to my blog.

This dress - Vogue 1236

This top

Edited by hungryhippo, 14 February 2012 - 12:25 PM.

#158 ruthlet

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

Hi all, not much sewing going on here. I'm trying to get into a housework rhythm so have been sewing less. I'm hoping that once I get on top of a routine I'll have more time! Either that, or I'll just get sick of housework and sew instead...

Just before Christmas I made my 6 month old DD a little dress:

">

I've also just finished a crochet cardigan for her, and am halfway through a red crochet dress for her (of course). I'm also muddling through my first ever quilt block quilt for some friends who are having a bub. I've also planned a quilt for another bub (waiting on fabric from the US), some MCNs for a friend and a quilt for my DD, as well as some more dresses for her (I just bought a bobbin work kit for my Brother). I'm tired just reading that!

Hungryhippo - your top and dress look great!!  original.gif

#159 iykwim

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

Just a quick one to let you know I have put pics of my almost quilt up on my blog...

Cute dress ruthlet, and hungryhippo the dress looks great!

#160 nayjay

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:19 AM

Hiya.  Just quickly popping in to let you know that our DS has arrived.  He was born via emergency c/s on 24th January.  So no sewing has been happening here..I did crochet a few little beanies while in hospital though biggrin.gif .

#161 iykwim

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

Congratulations Nayjay! That's exciting news original.gif enjoy those newborn cuddles...

#162 SuezS

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:08 PM

Congratulations Naomi.  I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how it was going.

Bec - K loves prep Very tired but is settling in well.  It helps that one of his best friends is in his class and he has already seen his other best friend from across the road go to school for a year.  J is funny, he calls his kindy "little school".  Like your comment on my blog - he is growing up quickly!  Even more so that what I remember with K.  I guess having a big brother as a role model....

Nice sewing - I love seeing the creations.  Thanks for sharing everyone.   wink.gif

Busy with work, full time sucks out alot of time and then I've also been exercising early mornings so tired by the end of the day.  Have finished a Colette Parfait dress though and hope to take pics on Sunday.

Have a nice weekend.

Susan

#163 becanne

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:56 PM

Congratulations Nayjay - I rember you saying you were expecting him to come early, hope all is well and that the other kids are looking after both of you.

Susan - the dress looks fantastic, hope you wear it lots. I'm volunteering in J's classroom for a few hours every Thursday, and learning a lot. Phonics has me a bit stumped but J and the other kids seem to love it.I take my hat off to anyone who can spend all day in a room with 25 preppies day in and day out and still retain their sanity!

3 bubbs - well done on the quilt. It looks really good, it will be a challenge to quilt it but worth the effort.

Finished knitting a scarf this week and have been busy playing with fabric piles here. Dumping a pile of craft magazines at the P&C craft group next week, which will free up a bit of space in the sewing room. Hoping to get a quilt basted and ready to quilt during the week, have a mini-quilt to design and make, and a layer-cake and some homespun to turn into a quilt top.

Spent the morning in the vegie patch planting snow peas, honey snap peas and cherry tomatos, then picked a pile of carrots, spring onions and beetroots.
Gave DH a native stingless beehive for our anniversay and we have been watching them pollinate the crops! We already had a few of those bees hanging around, but the hive is meant to have a few thousand, so we should get some rockmelons happening if we are lucky!

#164 SuezS

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:55 AM

Thanks Bec.  I think I will get lots of weekend wear out of it.  I'm thinking about making a winter version out of it.  Are you also going to get some honey from your hive?  DH is volunteering in a couple of weeks - he might do a day now and then.  He also does some repair work at the C&K centre to help them out.  They only get a maintenance man for one day a month and that isn't enough.  

For everyone else - I finally finished and have blogged my Parfait dress. It's nice to have made something for me and have a good fit.  

I still have a finished skirt to blog but I'm making a top to go with it and have only fitted the pattern for that so far.

Edited by SuezS, 20 February 2012 - 05:58 AM.

#165 becanne

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

Susan - we will be able to start collecting a little bit of honey in about six months. The hive comes with two tiny little jars that you stick in the top - you take one out and swap it with the other, but you will get less than a kg of honey per year, just for tasting really.

#166 melajoe

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hello.  Haven't posted or blogged in ages but I've been lurking and trying to stay caught up with everyone else's sewing.  I can't even remember if I have posted since the move - I think I may have...?  Anyway, we are back in QLD now and I'm loving being back here near family, and enjoying the lovely weather (even if we have had a tonne of rain).  I never really warmed to living in Sydney.

Congrats Nayjay on your new arrival original.gif  Hope the first few weeks have gone smoothly with the new addition to the household.

SuezS, I really like that dress you have made yourself.  I recently made a dress for my sister and it looks really good on her, but I am always too scared to make things for myself.  I think it's a combination of the increased cost of fabric for a garment my size (compared to my girls) and being daunted by having the adjust the pattern for all my lumps and bumps!  My sister is a straight up size 6 so much easier to sew for  biggrin.gif  Your dress is gorgeous though, you've done a fantastic job.  Are you making another one?

ruthlet - that spotty dress is very cute!  

hungryhippo - love the dress you've made yourself too.  I've considered buying that pattern but wasn't sure how it would end up looking, so it's good to see a real "finished product."  You've done a great job with it and I love the fabric!

I've been sewing a fair bit, which is surprising really as we've been settling into our new place, dealing with Christmas, DD1's birthday, and me going back to work three days a week.  I've made a couple of dresses for the girls, and a really nice top for DD1 that I've yet to blog (using this pattern).  I love this pattern and want to find something in a similar style for myself actually.  Don't suppose anyone has seen anything like this around?

I've also started on some crayon rolls for Easter gifts - 4 down, 2 to go.  They are for my girls and their cousins for Easter, I'm going to do up little packs with some crayons, Easter colouring in and of course the obligatory choccy eggs.  And I have also started making my mum a table setting with placemats and a table runner, possibly napkins too if I have enough fabric left over.  She's just recently put in a new kitchen so I've chosen some nice fabric that co-ordinates.  I want to get into giving more handmade gifts this year so I've tried to be organised ahead of time.  I also bought up big in some fabric sales recently  cool.gif

I'm home today as DD2 has a tummy bug.  She's just gone down for a nap so I thought I'd post here and then rush off to disinfect the house while she sleeps.  Bit of a messy night last night!

Happy sewing.

#167 SuezS

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

Thanks Mel.  I didn't really have to adjust the pattern by much, just a little bit here and there.  Overall it was pretty good.   biggrin.gif  My plan is to make a blue one next with piping trims.  I'm also contemplating making one for winter to wear like a pinafore but wondering how much bigger I need to make it to fit a tee underneath.  DH and I had the tummy bug a couple of weeks ago. Not fun. Especially when you are both hit at the same time.   mad.gif

Bec - The bees sounds like lots of fun. Are you planning to go to Sew It Up this year in Canberra?  

#168 becanne

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

Suez - I want to go, but have my final teaching placement in May and June, so it depends on the dates.
Have they announced them yet? I added the blog to my reading list, and applied to join the facebook group, but haven't seen anything posted anywhere.
Do you think you will go?

Mel - you have been very busy! How are you finding being back at work?

#169 iykwim

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

Hi original.gif

Suez - what is sew it up?

Mel - wow you have been busy! I like making crayon rolls as gifts too. Hope your DD is feeling better.

Becanne - the bees sound like fun. I've just finished a cathedral window mini for a contest on elisonlane.blogpspot.com. It was so much fun! What mini are you working on?

AFM - DD1 turned 9 this week ohmy.gif DD2 had a few bad days with teething, and then I think she had an upset tummy from the nurofen we gave her for the teeth   rolleyes.gif I bought an amber teething necklace on Friday so hopefully that helps with the next teeth. I'm not sure if I mentioned I got a casual position in the local library? Well anyway I have been working a day here and there, which really makes the weeks fly! I am working again on Monday. It also cuts out some sewing time  sad.gif

I have blogged the mini I finished. Next up for me is some bibs, rattles and softies for some gifts original.gif

Happy sewing...

#170 hungryhippo

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hi all,

I haven't been sewing recently as I had uni exams yesterday and have just been really busy. I did however wear the dress I made out on Saturday and got lots of compliments. I didn't get any photos in it though because we were in a rush.

Does anyone have any recommendations of patterns I can use to make a nice floral summer dress? I've had a search and can't find anything I love..

#171 SuezS

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

Threebubs - Sew it up is like a gathering for sewing, chatting, shopping, eating (all sewing related of course).  This year it is in Canberra - There is a blog for it.  Time flies when you work.  Our DS had an amber necklace.  It looked really cool until he pulled it off the other month. I was a bit sad when that happened.  

Bec - I haven't heard anything.  I was thinking of going. Depends if anyone else I know is going from Brisbane.  Also depends on cost.  Would be nice to get away for a girls weekend.  Though I couldn't take my sewing machine so it really would be shopping, workshops and maybe cutting/tracing or knitting.  

I spent some time on the weekend working on a blouse but even though I made a muslin the fit isn't right.  I think partly sizing and partly the style.  Will try to do some more work on it maybe this weekend.  Or maybe start something new  closedeyes.gif

#172 becanne

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

Suez-June long weekend http://sewittogether.wordpress.com/

I really want to go, but worried it would be too much on top of placement - I'll have lessons to plan etc...
My sensible side says 'give it a miss, there is always next year', my inner 14-year-old is saying 'but everyone else gets to go, it's not fair!'

Hmmm - I'll ponder it a while...

#173 nayjay

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

Hi all.  I never seem to get in here lately and I haven't been sewing other than boring old mending.  I do want to start sewing winter clothes for DD.  She has gone from my little girl who loves dancing dresses and twirly skirts to my "unprincess" who will only wear leggings and a tee finished with a pair of thongs ohmy.gif . So I am trying to think of a creative way to ensure she is comfortable but also to make her wardrobe a little more funky...not necessarily feminine and girly because she obviously has her own style biggrin.gif

I found this gorgeous idea...
Skirt leggings
Does anyone else have some suggestions???????

#174 melajoe

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hello everyone.  

Nayjay, that skirt is adorable - a good way to get some girly-ness back into your daughters wardrobe while being pretty funky too I think.  I've been thinking about winter clothes for my two as well, plus I have two nieces with birthdays in winter so I am trying to think of something I can make them as well.  

I've made a few things this week but haven't blogged any of it - a pair of pjs for DD2 (found a bunch of knits on clearance at Spotlight for $2 a metre - bargain!), a couple of skirts for my nieces out of some fabric I had left over from a dress I made my sister a while back, and also a skirt and a vest for DD1.  

I also dyed some fabric - my very first attempt - to try and make a lace dress like this one here:

http://kittykatescloset.blogspot.com.au/20...-continued.html

Sorry I can't remember whose blog this is - or even if you are in the Sewing BG thread!  But I found the blog on a recent thread here about blogs and thought "what a great idea!"  So you have inspired me.

Edited by melajoe, 27 March 2012 - 07:34 PM.

#175 kattrel

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Hi all,
I've been missing for a while but it looks like I'm not the only one. This thread has been rather quiet. I hope that means there is lots of sewing happening.

I have been doing quite a bit of sewing but not much blogging. I have put a couple of up cycled outfits on my blog but not much else. I'm trying to spend less time on the computer and more time sewing. I don't get much of a chance to sew during the day now so if I'm on the computer at night then I get nothing else done.  I'm not sewing tonight though so I'm off to browse some blogs.

I hope everyone else is well and keeping busy.

Nayjay - I hope everything is going well and you're family are all settling into having a new baby.

Melajoe - thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm very impressed with your dying and up cycling.  Great job as always.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.