Obviously ... toys for older kids
YAY GOING TO LOVE THIS SECTION!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 busymum01

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

ohmy.gif  New section woooo!

Well looky looky what I stumbled across here! Perfect - I have a DS aged 12.5 and it's struggle town to buy for him. DD is also 10 and similar, so sick to death of pencils, pens, craft gear.

Ideas for Christmas? Post away(I'll post mine)!

Girls:

Kids donut maker  rolleyes.gif
Books
LaLaLoopsy mini dolls (which I suspect will be a bit young but meh)

Boys:

unsure.gif

Edited by busymum01, 08 September 2011 - 11:19 AM.

#2 michelle120773

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:27 AM

My 11 year old nephew is still loving lego but moving into the more technic stuff now rather than te standard stuff.   Oh and the bigger the better!

Also likes Itune cards fro his ipod

#3 Ferelsmegz

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

Lego, Meccano, electronics kits?

Games?

#4 EBeditor

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:12 PM

Freat to see people using this new forum! These questions are exactly what the forum is for original.gif

#5 busymum01

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:59 PM

My 11 year old nephew is still loving lego but moving into the more technic stuff now rather than te standard stuff. Oh and the bigger the better!

My DS still loves Lego too, though we have nowhere to store finished masterpieces sad.gif . There's a new VW Campervan being released next month which I absolutely adore.

iPod is also a fantastic gift (well it was until I washed it) we're replacing DS's Nano with a Touch for Christmas - relatives also love this (as a PP mentioned) iTunes cards are so easy to get and give.

#6 butterfly-lee

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:44 AM

busymum01 - our sons are the same age  biggrin.gif  and I have no idea what to get him for xmas sad.gif  He has an ipod touch (was mine till I got a new phone that does all the same things) so the only thing I can think to get him is a dock for it, with radio and alarm clock for next to his bed, which is not really exciting.

He does love nascar so we will probably get him a model car of his favourite one. Still not that exciting.

It gets hard at this age.

How about an experience, like a surfing lesson?? I guess it depends what they are into, cause my son wouldn't be to thrilled about that, but for his 13th birthday we are going to get him a ride in a race car, which he will be soooooo excited about!!

I will be watching this thread cause I really need help on this one. I have 3 younger girls (6+4+1) that are already sorted for xmas, and poor DS has nothing planed for yet!!

#7 butterfly-lee

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:48 AM

we love lego here too!! Only problem is no where to put finished pieces, so it gets done once, then thrown in with all the other lego (one of those kids wheely bins full, base plates in another wheely bin) so never to be seen again sad.gif

#8 maxim

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:48 AM

Teen boy - past 3 years has been DS games, Wii games, electronics (ipod) and books.  Nothing else!

Pre-teen girl - clothes and jewellery, electronics, plus arts and craft.

#9 BadCat

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:02 AM

This year I've got DD (12) and DS (10) a slackline which I'm hoping will be a popular item.

Link:  http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3466448/slac...tricks_and_fun/

And a Chaos tower, they'll actually be getting two of those so they can make bigger and more interesting structures.

Link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDpOLGjm4zg  

They well also be getting books, PS3 games and DVDs.

#10 MarthaJones

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:46 PM

DD will be 8yrs old in Nov and very much a tomboy. Is not a sit and play kind of kid. Needs to be out and about. Though saying that she does love her lego city stuff.

So far for birthday/Christmas we have thought of

More lego (Lighthouse,hillside house,police station).
Basketball ring.
She needs new mats for her trampoline.
New scooter.
Ramp/jump for scooter.
Video camera.
A good remote control car (We have a club across from us and she loves to stand at the fence and watch them. She looks sad with her 4wd remote control because it's so slow).

She is also getting her room repainted for her birthday. She just needs to decide on a colour.

#11 idignantlyright

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:49 PM

A site I love looking at www.thinkgeek.com

They have some brilliant stuff for the kids who like unusual stuff.

#12 tess11

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:52 PM

OMG BadCat those are both awesome

DS who will be 9 is getting a pet turtle.. he has been asking for one for months and months so will be very excited.
His dad is getting him an ipod touch apparently, although Im not overally happy about it

idignantlyright - we love thinkgeek here but their postage is a real kicker sad.gif

#13 busymum01

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:30 PM

How about an experience, like a surfing lesson?? I guess it depends what they are into, cause my son wouldn't be to thrilled about that, but for his 13th birthday we are going to get him a ride in a race car, which he will be soooooo excited about!!

Butterfly I love that idea, we however live hours from the beach but I recall one of his friends one birthday took a group motorbike riding which he loved. Will definitely keep that idea handy!

My DS loves to watch Bear Grylls  sick.gif  and Top Gear so the rellies are banding together to kit him out with DVD's.

My slightly older nieces and nephews I buy a hat/ purse/ wallet/ whatever from a surfshop which they're always pretty chuffed about. My kids aren't quite at that age yet of caring about brand names  rolleyes.gif .

#14 mummy to e&j

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:44 PM

My sister bought our DS 13yrs a 'scuba dive' for his birthday.  It was one of those coupons (scoopon/groupon/direct deals) etc and are booked in for Nov.

Other than that, for xmas we're thinking of getting him a video recorder.  He LOVES books, but to be honest, we're running out of room in his bedroom to store them.  He won't get rid of any to make room either

DD 8yrs just loves anything girly, and is very easy to buy for.

#15 togodronic

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:28 PM

You could get some stylish headphones like the aiaiai Tracks. They look really cool like the old Walkman Headphones but with new technologie and great sound.
Or a radio completly covered in silicone from Lexon - they also designed a crank eco radio from bamboo and plastic made from plants.
You can check it out at www.thedesigngiftshop.com

#16 la di dah

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:43 PM

When I was that age I was really enamoured of really accurate little minatures. Like dollhouses, really, but NOT plastic-y bits and pink - spent a lot of time doing stuff on the computer to make backgrounds and brick patterns and stuff. I liked Victorian architecture and decor and stuff.

And it all had to be to scale, as of course, "not to scale is for little kids!" ohmy.gif

This one is barbie-sized but its a lot easier to find one inch = one foot scale things in a lot of different styles.

While outing myself as king of the nerds, I also liked trainset dioramas of the type that look realistic in photos where you can't tell the scale. And those porcelain christmas village type houses. Between the doing the layouts, painting the buildings/scenery, and effing about with the camera its definitely does pass the time. wink.gif

I did get some flack for caring about trains and diecast cars and tiny lampposts that really light up as a little girl but... shrug.gif On the other hand its probably a lot easier for boys than dollhouse stuff.

Unfortunately, display space becomes an issue. But it was more fun to me than lego.

Should I show myself out now?

#17 dueMarch

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:49 PM

kindle original.gif

#18 mindy05

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:52 PM

OP- Our DS is only 8 but right into making and creating- Lego, Meccano, Marble run, K'nex, etc. We have a Jaycar electronics store near us and DH likes going down there to buy kits for DS and himself to make together.

#19 Bigfatbum

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

Ds12 is getting a 3d-ds here, its all he wants. He plays with legos with his brothers but not interested otherwise. for him its all electronic games, books, outside stuff and board games.

#20 LucyQua

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:02 PM

Wow this section is exactly what I need. Have a DS1 who is 9 (10 in April) He wants a Nano Bridge Hexa bug set - done and and ipod docking station (for his ipod) done.
My younger who thinks he is more grown up (only 6) is gettign an afx racing set.

Was in our local toy store the other day and aske what are people buying for 9 year boys and this is what they said:
Lego - Harry Potter, ninjago
Razor Scooters
Skateboards - those wobbly ones that you really have to balance on
Hexa Bugs
Remote control helicopters (apparently have to learn to hover first before flying)
Skate board/bike ramps jumps

Books are good, cd players (mini hi fi ones), cds, itunes, clothes, vouchers to buy their own stuff from sport stores, basketball rings, footy jumper (for your local team they support), footy membership, movie tickets.

I will be coming back to seek other ideas for Birthdays.

Thanks for this Lucy Qua

#21 gina70

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:24 AM

Just noticed this section.

Christmas presents for my 14 dd:
*full length mirror
*$50 myer voucher
*dvds
*wii game
*money to spend at the markets
*wooden cross necklace
sims 3 world adventures
and stocking fillers

11dd:
*club penguin membership
*club penguin toys and trading cards, books
*dvds
*gomu tin
*books
*myer voucher
stocking fillers

First year both don't believe in Santa (or so they had me believe) and sadly no lego on their wish lists anymore.

It is dd11's birthday next month and I am getting her a ipod touch.

Edited by gina70, 02 December 2011 - 06:25 AM.

#22 *mumof4*

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:38 AM

I'm the same here - no more toys or 'Santa' for us sad.gif

Our youngest is DS (nearly) 10. On his wish list:

Cricket gear (got)
Red Vans (got - but not happy about, as he WRECKS shoes, no matter how much they cost)
ITunes card
Xbox games
DVD's - Bear Gryllls
Scrabble & up words
Possibly a chess set
Clothes!!!!!!

The only 'toys' he's asked for are a few more ramps and tech decks.

I did grab him a Solor house from aldi (about $6). Has operational door bells, lights & windmill. He likes building stuff, so that should keep him happy on a wet day.

#23 busymum01

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:04 PM

We have bought both our older kids an iPod touch for Christmas since they've been asking forever.

Both children still have me believe they believe in Father Christmas - I'm not convinced my eldest does as he now says it and winks at me lol but for his younger siblings (and his mum) he's keeping the game up, bless him.

DS 12.5

iPod touch
Guinness Book of World Records (tradition)
Lego Ideas Book
shorts & tshirt
Wii game
Ridiculously priced boardshorts he wanted

DD10

iPod touch
Dog book
Fur real zhu zhu pet things
Paul Frank lip gloss set
Bathers
Tiger Tribe colouring house

We're on holiday over Christmas so I'm a bit sad that there are no 'toys' as we just can't take them with us travelling, opting for spending any extra dollars on experiences this year.

Edited by busymum01, 12 December 2011 - 08:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Video: 10-week-old baby sounds like she says 'I love you'

It’s mixed in amongst garbled baby talk, but this 10-week-old's apparent attempt at telling her parents that she loves them has made her an internet star.

I only enjoyed pregnancy after booking my caesarean

To say I became obsessed is something of an understatement. Everywhere I went I found cause to be reminded of my impending pain.

When your bundle doesn't bring immediate joy

One mum says joy is very a personal feeling and expecting all new mums to feel it in the months after their baby born may do more harm than good.

Lessons learned from my toddler

Blogger Kiran Chug explains why she is going to let her toddler make more decisions for himself.

Family welcomes first baby girl in more than 100 years

The Silverton family has heard the phrase "it's a girl" for the first time in four generations.

When a community of kindness steps in

In future when someone I care for, or even someone I barely know, is experiencing a difficult time, I will not overthink it. I'll follow my heart.

Mum in Business: Jac Bowie

Jac Bowie is the founder of Business in Heels, one of the fastest growing women’s networking events in Australia. She shares her story, including how she juggles work with a young family, and ways to work smarter.

What not to say to a mum of twins

Being a mum of identical twin boys stirs up great interest and fascination. It also opens itself up to nosy, invasive questions, as well as huge assumptions.

The mums suing over unplanned babies

A mother-of-five who calls her two youngest sons "miracle babies" is just one of many mums seeking financial compensation for their children's unplanned conceptions.

Video: Dad sings 'Hallelujah' to his daughter every year

It's a gorgeous song to begin with, but this dad's version of Hallelujah, sung for his young daughter, is especially touching.

Constipation in babies when starting solids

While starting solids can be frustrating and messy (yet also fun!), introducing solids can also play havoc on tiny digestive systems.

Parents reunited with baby snatched from hospital

A mother whose newborn baby was snatched from hospital has spoken of her joy and relief at getting her daughter back.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies - bump selfies - really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind"?

Life on the other side of the fence: Why I'm child-free and quite content

Acknowledging that motherhood isn't a bed of roses – to begrudge lack of time, sleep, money and spontaneity – is sacrilegious and a no-no, especially by mother superior-types.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind", as one writer has claimed?

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.